rFactor 2 | New Build Update And First Competition System Blog Posting

Jacob Marshall

50RPM
Premium
Oct 15, 2018
4 years to build a UI that, when released seems to be largely 'problematic', within a week a User jumps on and, in their own time, begins making changes that are beginning to turn this into a functional UI.

So now rf2 have top5ecret to fix AIW and Cselt to fix the UI; S397 starting to run their game like Bethesda?

I don't think S397 have the luxury to function like this. Although RF2 has the best drive feel the rest of it, the UI/AI/Flag rules/jsons are beyond sub-par. No, no other game (RRE/AC/IR/AMS) has the drive-feel/ffb of RF2, but it's good enough in those games that the better online/UI/AI makes it an easy choice to to not play/pay RF2.

Last edited:

eg01st

250RPM
Premium
Jul 28, 2018
You only realize how messed up the whole rf2 system is when you start running your own server. Setting it up took me 8 hours. Thank God there are helpful guys on Discord. Then, it took us about an hour one evening to figure out which content works for us, 3 friends, to not have errors on joining. Since server had multiple GTE cars and other classes so we can leave after finish and pick a different car for next race, next drive menu would only present 1 car, the one that we drove last. Only after all 3 of us left, we would get the full car list. Not to mention always appearing Yellow Lego Car bug in practice.
And one of us had to re-join 3 times to be even visible on track for other players. These bugs are so consistent, we have gotten used to them and know what to do. There are probably some 3 page long instructions somewhere to rocket science your way around them, but is that how a "realistic competition focused endurance sim etc" should be?
I'm surprised the Le Mans event could even happen in this bug hive.
Not that we don't enjoy it when it works, it's awesome. But clunky system and glitches are time consuming.

Last edited:

mibrandt

100RPM
Nov 12, 2009
You only realize how messed up the whole rf2 system is when you start running your own server. Setting it up took me 8 hours. Thank God there are helpful guys on Discord. Then, it took us about an hour one evening to figure out which content works for us, 3 friends, to not have errors on joining. Since server had multiple GTE cars and other classes so we can leave after finish and pick a different car for next race, next drive menu would only present 1 car, the one that we drove last. Only after all 3 of us left, we would get the full car list. Not to mention always appearing Yellow Lego Car bug in practice.
And one of us had to re-join 3 times to be even visible on track for other players. These bugs are so consistent, we have gotten used to them and know what to do. There are probably some 3 page long instructions somewhere to rocket science your way around them, but is that how a "realistic competition focused endurance sim etc" should be?
Not that we don't enjoy it when it works, it's awesome. But clunky system and glitches are time consuming.
Oh boy that doesnt sound good. I am about to see if I can manage to get at server up and running on my own PC so I can race a friend online. Can you point me towards a good idiot proof guide somewhere. Or tell me what traps not to fall in? I have done it with succes in AC and ACC but RF2 is another story I suspect...

Dec 5, 2013
How could it be possible that we still have that complicated system for the packages ??!
Finding an online race where you have all the packages updated and ready to run is still a massiv pain in the ass !!!
(not even talking about the UI wich is very good looking, but not easy to use at all...)

(And maybe one day, we won't have to wait half a day to load a track with 20 cars... but that's in a far futur I guess !)

mesfigas

50RPM
Nov 1, 2015
Is it now possible to add,delete and install .rfcmp packages with the "new Ui" ???,then i will try it again.
Got no time to waste to test things that do not improve.I better test AMS 2 these days,that's worth the time.
i can add and install .rfcmp packages in the new UI but i cannot uninstall them

• Haha
Reactions: Dady Cairo

clemencaman

100RPM
Jan 20, 2013
Sorry, but setting up a new server after one year without rf2 racing took me arround 30min, because i had to change the whool server files and content, it took me another 5min to create Mod for server an change some things in player.JSON and on the firewall in front of the server. Than ist runs perfect and the whole team (8 driver) spend 3 houers driving without any problems. You can search for TVR, GTE and GT3 at Spa.

Colin Peach

75RPM
Premium
Feb 4, 2020
Oh boy that doesnt sound good. I am about to see if I can manage to get at server up and running on my own PC so I can race a friend online. Can you point me towards a good idiot proof guide somewhere. Or tell me what traps not to fall in? I have done it with succes in AC and ACC but RF2 is another story I suspect...
Follow the instructions to the word and it takes moments to setup a dedicated server ( downloading the content takes the time)

Dady Cairo

Cat-Car
Premium
May 23, 2017
Ok,that was the last time useing the "new UI".Backt to the all working OLD UI AS LONG AS IT IS THERE.

When will RF2 be buried for good:sick:?Only the FFB is still alive:thumbsup:
Better to be on the hype train for AMS2 as on the snail track of RF2....

Last edited:
May 27, 2020
Overrated sim, I've supported them for years and bought all DLC but the devs and fanboys can't take constructive criticism because I apparently don't have an undergrad in coding/programming so I'm irrelevant /s.

Other sims like AMS2 are catching up fast, sound better and gradually handle better. ACC is not far off.

I'll give my money to smaller dedicated teams who listen to their investors.
Like always (I should copy/paste that :)):
As long as you are into GTE/LMP racing, it's just nonsense to try ACC instead. It does not work at all. So it is as far off as a game could be. Do I whine because of that? No. I just use every sim for what it offers. Not for what it does not.

erniedaoage

10RPM
Nov 18, 2011
I recently installed rf2 again since my last drive was around 2017 or 18. Thats the 3rd UI i believe because people always complained of the 90s look. Honestly i couldn't care less, it was functional and easy to setup a race or join a multiplayer session. I just wanted to try out some of the content i liked and was kinda trapped in this new ui for half an hour just to setup a testdrive. Seems i completely lost all my hope for rf2, what a disastrous development process in all those years. It was way ahead of the competition with the ffb, realroad, weather and now only ffb feel is left, because the competition got already everything except the ffb feel and the advanced tire model which is part of the feel.

MrBraindown

100RPM
Premium
May 1, 2019
Haven’t played rFactor2 for a while, mainly because I can’t seem to get VR to work well (more a criticism of me) plus I struggle with the new UI as I’ve been spoilt with the ease of use of AC/CM, ACC & AMS2 - but this has prompted me to take another look.

Paulus-NL

10RPM
Jun 18, 2018
Had the same. Somehow it seams that a rfmod is required. When creating 1 (just add a random track/car to it) and install fixed the issue. After that i could uninstall/delete packages again.

Still its not what you want as a user to create extra stuff via the modmanager.exe

So hope after reporting it in the discord it will be fixed at some point.

Paul Glover

RaceDepartment Social Media Manager & Podcast Host
Staff
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
Haven’t played rFactor2 for a while, mainly because I can’t seem to get VR to work well (more a criticism of me) plus I struggle with the new UI as I’ve been spoilt with the ease of use of AC/CM, ACC & AMS2 - but this has prompted me to take another look.
Not played RF2 in a while, but certainly never struggled with getting VR to work. What issues you having?

MrBraindown

100RPM
Premium
May 1, 2019
Not played RF2 in a while, but certainly never struggled with getting VR to work. What issues you having?
The issue is laziness mostly. And the fact I don’t have enough time for sim racing these days.

I’ve tried a few settings here and there, but when I go to race it doesn’t ever look that great (comparatively to other sims) or I get really sudden and inconsistent frame rates, which make my head spin.

So because I haven’t got that much time to play around and test (plus the aforementioned laziness) I just think “time is short, let’s play AC instead” (which I’ve got working really well in VR)

Therefore it’s not really the sims fault, more my time-strangled bone idleness. I really need to blank out a good few hours to sit down and make it work, because I really enjoy it on the flat screen.