rFactor 2 (merged)

• Chris Noble

The biggest issue rfactor has is that its designed to be modded and so most of the content is not original.

Auto download with it being able to go to a different fileserver to get the required files would be ace. should be possible to do.

I am developing a similar type of mechanism for the BackOffice product that I develop for my job.

I always found on Rfactor I struggled with ports blocking me from playing, otherwise it was a great game once you found the right mods. Probably worth a look at a sequel I think.

I can't help but think though if most of Rfactor is mods, what the point of a sequel is.

I'd say the reason rFactor isn't as polished as SimBins products is simply because almost all of the content are by 3rd party modders who don't have the money, time and sometimes ability to make them that way. But this doesn't bother me too much, and I'd rather just get a large patch than a new game, since I just bought it this year. =) Or atleast some sort of discount for owners of the older version.

They could implement the car sharing that you'd at least download the physics and other files that mainly get updated, not the models or skins which take most of the space for any mod. At least you'd be able to get updates you might have missed.

Well its not the third party content I was referring to it is the whole game in my opinion the menu system is awful and dull including online which is a shambles in my opinion.

The car modeling and tracks I feel are not up to the same standard as Simbin's efforts maybe I have been playing Simbins titles to much.

Don’t get me wrong i enjoy the odd rfactor session but my biggest gripe is the car physics im not sure here if it is Simbins titles that are wrong or rfactors as I find the cars extremely difficult to drive in rfactor compared to even the most powerful cars in sat GTR Evo.

Take the Megane the physics on this are strange and the car is very easy to spin maybe it’s the default setup yet I find the F1 cars are easier to control surely these Meganes cant be as difficult to drive as a F1 car in the real world.

Well that my thoughts I hope that rfactor 2 will be more polished and will rely more on content made by ISI rather then third parties and will also bring a decent single player game which is lacks big time at the moment so i can actually enjoy some of these mods that are not used online.

I agree with you that not all mods look as good as Race or Evo, the reason is like you mentioned the third parties. On the other hand i disagree about the handling.I find the handling harder then in Race 07 but very realistic !
For me its the other way around ,i cant get a good feeling in the Simbin cars and always fight against understeer and too late braking.
It is a personal feeling for all of us i think. I think the way ISI made the game in 2005 is exactly the way Simbin is now allowing third parties to make mods as well. Reason is that rFactor is still very popular after three years !!!

I agree with you that not all mods look as good as Race or Evo, the reason is like you mentioned the third parties. On the other hand i disagree about the handling.I find the handling harder then in Race 07 but very realistic !
For me its the other way around ,i cant get a good feeling in the Simbin cars and always fight against understeer and too late braking.
It is a personal feeling for all of us i think. I think the way ISI made the game in 2005 is exactly the way Simbin is now allowing third parties to make mods as well. Reason is that rFactor is still very popular after three years !!!

I Suppose it all about personal preference maybe i have a kind of dislike to the handling in Rafactor is because im not very good to be honest so find that the handling in Race, GTR Evo is more forgiving ?

My biggest gripe would be the rev counter, does anyone know if there is a mod for a big one like in Race as i find the gear status very difficult to read compared to the giant one in Race, GTR Evo.

Well its not the third party content I was referring to it is the whole game in my opinion the menu system is awful and dull including online which is a shambles in my opinion.

The menu is the one thing I HATE with Race07/Evo. rF has that much better IMO. If I want a free practice with 17 other AI cars... done. How do I do that in Race? I want a setup I browse to a folder... done. In Race you have to go alphabetically through all the tracks (if you do not have one for that track and do have one you think will be a close start in another folder).. not even a drop down. Clunky interface in the extreme. Would be nice to view the cars without selecting and event and class, but you can't. How is this better? I find SimBin menus restrictive and reminicent of console GAMES, not befitting of a simulator at all.

Now that said, little things like rain, animated marshalls etc add much more atmosphere on the track to the SimBin titles but I do still prefer the handling in rF when you have a quality mod and your FFB set well for it.

Basically I think SimBin make prettier games, ISI makes a better simulator. A new engine to bring in some of the pretty and rF2 will be a sure winner for my tastes.

**disclaimer** I have very little interest in tin-lids. I think also the SimBin titles are better for the Touring Car type experience, rF is better for open wheelers.

• Daniel Hartmann

You must be joking I guess?!?

The menu is the one thing I HATE with Race07/Evo. rF has that much better IMO. If I want a free practice with 17 other AI cars... done. How do I do that in Race? I want a setup I browse to a folder... done. In Race you have to go alphabetically through all the tracks (if you do not have one for that track and do have one you think will be a close start in another folder).. not even a drop down. Clunky interface in the extreme. Would be nice to view the cars without selecting and event and class, but you can't. How is this better? I find SimBin menus restrictive and reminicent of console GAMES, not befitting of a simulator at all.

Now that said, little things like rain, animated marshalls etc add much more atmosphere on the track to the SimBin titles but I do still prefer the handling in rF when you have a quality mod and your FFB set well for it.

Basically I think SimBin make prettier games, ISI makes a better simulator. A new engine to bring in some of the pretty and rF2 will be a sure winner for my tastes.

**disclaimer** I have very little interest in tin-lids. I think also the SimBin titles are better for the Touring Car type experience, rF is better for open wheelers.
100% agree. In rFactor it is a lot easier to navigate through the menu than in GTR EVO / race07. The main point is that you have direct access to all important menu items instead of clicking on the same stupid button several times to get where you wanted to. As you already said GTR EVO / race07 definetely has a console like interface, and especially loading and saving setups is just annoying! :mmph:

Joking ? yes im a comdian by day and a rubbish sim racer by night and weekends :)

I just expect a game that cost me more that Race 07/GTR Evo would be more polished in the way the menus look, it just reminds me of a menu in a game from the Amiga many moons ago and seems this was a after thought to the actual game itself.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%