Rfactor 2 HP Reverb stuttering issues.

I seem to have stuttering issues in Rf2. Inconsistent stuttering on the Nordschleife full circuit running the Senna (other tracks mod or official content struggles too) , I still have to test other cars but the 720s seems to run better. Rf2 even stutters on lower settings, with or without AA enabled, also when I force reprojection... Wtf. This is extremely frustrating. My rig is a 9900k OC to 5Ghz on all cores and I've also just installed a Rtx 2080Ti. So there is no lack of horsepower at its disposal. I find the experience to be extremely frustrating. Whether I use the SteamVR beta, various super sampling settings, higher or lower graphics settings, or not, nothing seems to sort it out. Considering Pc2 runs smoothly even when reprojecting and AC with the latest shaders patch and SOL mod runs flawlessly at 90fps with a number of cars.
What use is the best physics and FFB if the rest of the experience kills it? It just feels like Rf2 is an un-oprimised mess in comparison to the VR experience in other titles.
Any ideas as I'm about to just delete it and stick with AC and Pc2 instead. Tired of spending the little time I have to race trying to get Rf2 to run properly.

I seem to have stuttering issues in Rf2. Inconsistent stuttering on the Nordschleife full circuit running the Senna (other tracks mod or official content struggles too) , I still have to test other cars but the 720s seems to run better. Rf2 even stutters on lower settings, with or without AA enabled, also when I force reprojection... Wtf. This is extremely frustrating. My rig is a 9900k OC to 5Ghz on all cores and I've also just installed a Rtx 2080Ti. So there is no lack of horsepower at its disposal. I find the experience to be extremely frustrating. Whether I use the SteamVR beta, various super sampling settings, higher or lower graphics settings, or not, nothing seems to sort it out. Considering Pc2 runs smoothly even when reprojecting and AC with the latest shaders patch and SOL mod runs flawlessly at 90fps with a number of cars.
What use is the best physics and FFB if the rest of the experience kills it? It just feels like Rf2 is an un-oprimised mess in comparison to the VR experience in other titles.
Any ideas as I'm about to just delete it and stick with AC and Pc2 instead. Tired of spending the little time I have to race trying to get Rf2 to run properly.

Hi,
did you solve your Problems?. I have the same issues and same Hardware (9900k / 2080 TI). I did force reprojection to 45FPS and still stuttering.
AC is running very well, with 40 KI at the NOS no Problems.

Hi,
did you solve your Problems?. I have the same issues and same Hardware (9900k / 2080 TI). I did force reprojection to 45FPS and still stuttering.
AC is running very well, with 40 KI at the NOS no Problems.
Hi as of the new build my VR keeps crashing. I've come to the conclusion that RF2 (although great when it works) is an unoptimized crap shoot. Very disappointed.
What you should have a look at is firstly to disable shadow blurr. It makes a huge difference. I also disabled the mirrors (which grates my arse). This seemed to mellow things out too. Now it's just the matter of the crashing. Is your VR stable at least or do you also experience crashes?

Here are my Settings (in German)

Attachments

• Game Settings.JPG
    Game Settings.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Nvidia Settings.png
    Nvidia Settings.png
    218.6 KB · Views: 154
  • SteamVR Settings rFactor.JPG
    SteamVR Settings rFactor.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Video Settings.JPG
    Video Settings.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 140
I Managed to have a stable session for about an hour now. Below are my settings. I also use an application I bought on steam called CPUCores. This allows me to isolate the RF2 processes or any other game. It helped a lott with my stuttering problem. I have occasional stutters with Day\Night transitions but it is much better.

Nvidia_1.JPGNvidia_2.JPGNvidia_3.JPGRF2_1.JPGRF2_2.JPGRF2_3.JPGSteamVR.JPG

That's fortunate, would you mind sharing your settings as well please?

Away from PC at the minute, my advice;
  • revert nVidia Control Panel to Default settings (I see you've changed them)
  • backup & move you player.JSON to a safe place and let the game create a fresh new one
  • Verify Files in case something got corrupt
  • really limit background programs, don't run anything that you don't need too
  • Stop all Plug Ins from loading in RF2, these are often a cause for crashes
  • Unsubscribe from redundant Mods you no longer use, pointless having them installed and they could cause conflicts with other mods which might result in a CTD
  • Last resort do a fresh reinstall (I do one every couple of years anyway) as it'll clear out any rubbish you've got installed

Away from PC at the minute, my advice;
  • revert nVidia Control Panel to Default settings (I see you've changed them)
  • backup & move you player.JSON to a safe place and let the game create a fresh new one
  • Verify Files in case something got corrupt
  • really limit background programs, don't run anything that you don't need too
  • Stop all Plug Ins from loading in RF2, these are often a cause for crashes
  • Unsubscribe from redundant Mods you no longer use, pointless having them installed and they could cause conflicts with other mods which might result in a CTD
  • Last resort do a fresh reinstall (I do one every couple of years anyway) as it'll clear out any rubbish you've got installed

Hi,
i have done a complete fresh install and create new player.JSON last week but still the same bad performance (stuttering). In the background only Crewchief, SteamVR and WMR is running. In AC everything is fine, but rFactor2 runs very bad, as i wrote yesterday i had an online race with 25 people at the Nordschleife and there was some stuttering again, so it was not fun to play. I have forced reprojection to 45FPS but still some stuttering. Are you using SteamVR beta and WMR beta?

Untitled.jpg

Click indicated arrow and then select your graphics card. Really important. I always check my graphics card is selected when I start RF2. I leave nvidia control panel settings as default, except for Power manage mode, set to performance and Texture filtering-Quality set to High performance, these are in Global Settings. These are the only adjustments necessary in the nvidia control panel. These settings should give you an improvement.

In the player json file, scroll down to the Game Options section and find the lines as below and set to true. This setting totally cured all my stuttering problems and I have never had any memory problems with 16gb of memory. I tried a lot of other suggestions on the forums to stop stuttering but this is the only thing that worked. This is my permanent setting, it's worth trying and if it doesn't work for you, it' easy to reset. P.S. Crew Chief works fine for me as well. Good luck.
"Record To Memory":true,
"Record To Memory#":"record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be significant for long races)",

I found my problem. The plug in used by crew chief. The shared memory dll file is causing the stuttering and crashes. I deleted it an bam! Smooth game play. Unfortunately I can't use crew chief or sim wind. I tried various versions of the file and it keeps causing problems. Hope this helps.

- Was Crew Chief up to date?
- Did you try with CC as the *only* plug in?
- Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling CC? / Re downloading from the website?

Strange if CC is the cause directly, working fine for me and many others.

- Was Crew Chief up to date?
- Did you try with CC as the *only* plug in?
- Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling CC? / Re downloading from the website?

Strange if CC is the cause directly, working fine for me and many others.
I did all of the above and it keeps being a problem unfortunately. There is something that is certainly strange as almost everyone else has CC working fine.

Last edited:
Well, I may have stumbled upon the root cause of the overall issue. I 've been fiddling with my memory clocks and dialed it back from 3200Mhz (XMP) to 3000Mhz. 3099Mhz seems to work without crashing, but has some stutters still to the point of frustration. Dropping to 3000Mhz seems to have significantly improved the stuttering, still not perfect but definitely serviceable. 2133Mhz is just not playable with a decent frame rate even at a 5Ghz CPU overclock. Every other game runs perfectly well using the XMP profile, so it seems there is something here that rF2 is particularly sensitive to when using the shared memory plugin.

I need to test some more but the results are promising. When you are stranded on an Island, I guess one cannot be too picky around the company who drifts ashore.

Looks like I finally got to the bottom of the issue. If the base frequency for the multiplier of the RAM is not 100 MHz, then it introduces stuttering and crashes om my system. I'll test some more but my last 30 min of testing has been silky smooth. Thank you everyone for your comments and advice :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 140 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 104 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 144 13.9%