rFactor 2: Historical McLaren F1 Cars Released!

Chris

Premium
MP48.jpg
Just days after their announcement at the 2018 Sim Racing expo in Germany, right on cue, Studio 397 have released three historical McLaren Formula One cars for rFactor 2... free of charge.

Replicated with stunning attention to detail, the three vehicles brought to the increasingly popular simulator are:
  1. McLaren M23 - The one that carried Fittipaldi and Hunt to WDC's in 1974 and 1976 respectively.
  2. McLaren MP4/8 - The one that helped Ayrton Senna complete the greatest opening lap ever.
  3. McLaren MP4/13 - The one that won the 1998 Drivers and Constructors titles with relative ease.

But don't let me talk you into it, here's a little of what Studio 397 had to say about the cars:

m23b.jpg

McLaren M23

"When McLaren introduces the M23 to the world in 1973 with first test drives, they knew already that they had created something special. Feedback from the first laps had been amazing, an easy to steer car with a great balance, thanks to nearly all the weight being close to the center, where also the tank was located.

The introduction to the Formula 1 World Championship was marked as a complete success before even going into the cars first race, since McLaren managed to put their brand new M23 right on Pole Position."

MP48.jpg

McLaren MP4/8
"While the car featured innovative technology and an advanced chassis, the team was being led [sic] down by engine in the end, which didn't offer as much performance as their competition was able to produce. Nevertheless this car put up a fight for the championship, especially since it featured automatic programmable gearbox, traction control and a host of other options, leaving the driver with more resources to concentrate solely on fighting for the top spots."

MP413.jpg

McLaren MP4/13
"Designed by Adrian Newey, the new MP4/13 was a perfect fit to the new rule-set and the grooved tyres. Efficient aerodynamics teamed up with the most powerful engine (780bhp) on the grid, the car immediately dominated the series and turned the first race into a pure McLaren showcase. Every single competitor got lapped at least once during the Australian Grand Prix, just a sign of what was to come for the rest of the season."

So there you have it. Three iconic F1 cars, for free and they're available for download right now. So what are you waiting for?!

Tried the new content? Let us know what you think in the comments below, and be sure to stay up to date with all the latest simracing news here at RaceDepartment (especially once our Editor-in-Chief gets back from the Expo!)

Last edited:
Refund for ACC is requested ;) Keep it up, Studio-397 and you have my money
I was tempted to buy it. But 1 car and track for 24.99 seems eh to me. I'll just wait for the full release. rFactor 2 still takes my time the most along with F1 2018. Now that they've added my favorite McLaren more hours in rF2 incoming.

ACC FFB is an absolute disaster. I was afraid that my steering wheel (Fanatec CSL Elite) would be destroyed. Graphics jerked defies a GTX 1080. Only 1 hour played since a week. No interest, although I am only focused on VR. High live rF2!

:)
I was tempted to buy it. But 1 car and track for 24.99 seems eh to me. I'll just wait for the full release. rFactor 2 still takes my time the most along with F1 2018. Now that they've added my favorite McLaren more hours in rF2 incoming.
I bit the bullet and bought ACC , I convinced myself that I was like "preordering" the sim at a discounted price . I have very little time to enjoy my hobby due to long work days and as a matter of fact i've only spent half an hour on ACC due to the release of these Mclaren on rf2 :) anyway not regretting my 25€ for ACC ... Hope to enjoy "regular" AI during rainy weather in any game (pc2 bad ai in rain sometimes, rf2 ai pitting every lap for new wets, ACC ... Let's see how it ends ) , sorry for the little OT ... Back on topic , I like to have a sim right now that is still "alive" in development (pc2 is at is final patch arguably, ac they moved to acc) ... I like the feeling of playing something that's evolving. Plus I always find myself mumbling "that's how I think this cars wouldbfeel IRL " every time I start rf2 :) despite my glorified office desk rig :)

I tried all of them last night & they seem pretty good. I felt like the M23 was the most well done, Then the MP4/8 Feels pretty good, Though Both the MP4/8 & the MP4/13 Felt a little strange driving/Handling wise at least from first impressions But I will hold any thoughts on that until I use them for a few weeks. However the Sound of the MP4/13 lets down the car imo. It just really breaks the immersion & i feel like I'm driving some Toy Car around the track but Maybe that can be improved. Overall still very grateful to get these cars.

The onboards i have seen Senna only changes a few engine settings, for the rest his hand and fingers don't move. Like he's driving a kart.

Yes!, I too remember seeing Senna and Schumacher driving without shifting watching their onboard cameras thinking how cool that they went full auto in F1!..

Later on they even went with auto upshift only... but had to use the left paddle to manual downshifts as per the F1/FIA rules in the early 1999-2000 I believe.

You don't have understand that for 24.99 you've buy the entire game, all 2018 and 2019 saison of GT3 with track ? Currently we know that for 24.99 we will have 6 cars and 6 scanned laser circuits. Plus an unknown number of new cars and new circuit for the 2019 season.
With Rf2 for 24.99 you have a circuit (sebring) and 5 cars (endurance pack), hell eh !?

But the subject here is this fantastic three McLaren... and for free, yes thanks S397. All of this cars are amazing, Rf2 is the best simulator for old F1 for sure and M23, BT44 and 761 are just... I can't find words for explain... keep going guys ;)

Well... apparently mp4/8 had "some" drs issues and they patched the car up. Seems very suspect.

Nothing suspect about it, to be honest. The initial release of the MP4/8 accidentally included a rear wing with a DRS feature. Obviously that was a mistake that slipped through testing and we had to correct it as soon as it got discovered. Late yesterday evening an update was deployed (both on the workshop and for the rFactor 2 demo) and we restarted the first round of competition. Everything is up and running now, so if you fancy trying to set a quick lap time, go for it!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back