rFactor 2: Gasoline Alley 3PA Content Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Gasoline_Alley_6.jpg

rFactor 2 modding duo Gilles Benoit and Bill Guillaume have released a new Third Party Affiliate (3PA) mod depicting the legendary 1960's era Indy Racing scene - entitled Gasoline Alley.

Created by Gilles Benoit and Bill Guillaume with the help of former Indy driver Len Sutton and racing historian Gordon Eliot White, Gasoline Alley has been updated and improved from the original rFactor 1 version to reach the standards expected of 3PA content.

With further support from ISI providing physics tweaks and tyres, Gasoline Alley should make a compelling addition to the base rF2 content.

Car description :
  • Speed: top 186 mph Texas (1963), end of Indy straights : 170 mph, Indy turns : +-140 mph
  • Weight without driver and fuel: +-1600 lbs, 60% to the left
  • Fuel: Methanol, 60 us gal. spiked with nitromethane
  • Engine: 256 cu. In., 4 cyl. Offy, +-500 lbs, 2 speed, estimated +-400hp, running at 6000 rpm (ref1 p.84), fuel consumption 1 us gal/3.0 mile, exterior oil tank +-15 quarts
  • Rigid front/rear axles with torsion bars
  • Wheelbase: modeled at 96 in.
  • Tires: Bias ply Firestones, front 7.60×16 (nominal), rear 8×18 (nominal), 50 psi, threads were showing after 51-52 laps at Indy, wear pattern on all four tires = inside of corner, described as noisy
  • Pit stops: All four tires, 40 to 60 us gal. in 20 sec., every 51-52 laps
"Indy racing is part of the US culture, and in the early 1960s A.J. Watson dominated the manufacturing of the cars, at a time when Formula One machines were just starting to influence design. Watson’s history goes back to 1950 when, as a mechanic, he built his own car for the Indy 500 which Dick Rathmann drove. In 1954 Watson got his break with the John Zink Jnr team, and a year later his modified version of the Frank Kurtis-built roadster won the Indy 500. This 1960 example is typical of his racers, with a basic chassis with front/rear solid axles but torsion bar suspension that could be tweaked by the driver while going along. The Offenhauser Sprint and Champ car engine was offset to the left to make the car turn naturally in that direction, and gearbox only needed two speeds due to the massive torque available low down, plus the car’s light weight."

Head on over to the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 forum for news and discussion items and why not pick up a mod or two in our rF2 Mods section?

Don't forget racing other sim racers is fun, and in rFactor 2 the best place to do that is right here in the rFactor 2 Racing Club! Check it out today for good, clean, hard racing on a regular basis.

Have you picked up Gasoline Alley yet? How doe's it fair alongside some of the other top mods and ISI's own content? Let us know in the comments section below!

Gasoline_Alley_4.jpg Gasoline_Alley_7.jpg Gasoline_alley_11.jpg Gasoline_Alley_16.jpg

• Deleted member 130869

Apparently the forced upgrade trigger was hidden in one of the auto updates. Personally I have automatic updates turned off and I will pick and choose, after research, which ones I want to allow.

Here is one article, but do a search and you'll see the outrage at Microsoft for doing this.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3073...dows-10-pop-up-tricks-you-into-upgrading.html

They have been trying to sneakily hide it and push it to people who even have auto-updates off. I have had three very sneaky situations with them trying to get me to update, but I always double check everything. When I got tired, I simply just hid the W10 option and it's been a few weeks since it tries sneaking up with other updates. In certain/many countries, customers can file official complaints against MS. MS has to offer customers a way to roll back.

Transition to native DX12 app is not gonna happen on any current released sim, simply because they can't just remove Windows 7 support, with probably over half of the rigs currently running that OS.

End of mainstream support : Windows 7 : January 13, 2015, Windows 8 :January 9, 2018

Mainstream support—Microsoft will offer mainstream support for a minimum of 5 years from the date of a product's general availability. For example, if you buy a new version of Windows and five years later another version is released, you will still have two years of support left for the previous version.

I have seen more support for Dx11 and even Vulkan for the freedom from MicroSoft, and being free. DX12 is Windows 10 only, and that is a big no-no for a sizable population.

Windows 10 is now on 300 million active devices.
Reiza is working with new sim which is going to have DX12 graphics engine, Initial release planned for Q4 2016.
ISI is working with new sim and most likely it is going to be released with DX12 or DX13 graphics engine. I bet beta release is going to be in 2017.
Prosject Cars2 is going to be released soon with DX11/DX12. pCars developer says that DX12 will improve the game by 30-40%
Windows 10 free upgrade offer is ending soon boys it is time to move on to next generation DX and graphics engines.

:thumbsup:

I haven't heard anything about ISI making a DX12 based game. Maybe a big studio can afford to take the risk with forcing users on Windows 10, but an indie studio for sure can't risk their sales with it. At least until Windows 7 users drop to less than 10%. According to Steam April hardware stats, 38% of users have Windows 10 installed while the rest 62% have an older OS.

• Deleted member 130869

I haven't heard anything about ISI making a DX12 based game. Maybe a big studio can afford to take the risk with forcing users on Windows 10, but an indie studio for sure can't risk their sales with it. At least until Windows 7 users drop to less than 10%. According to Steam April hardware stats, 38% of users have Windows 10 installed while the rest 62% have an older OS.

Mod edit: Keep on topic of discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 201 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.1%