rFactor 2 FPS

Steve Bird

Come On Williams!
Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

I've always had issues with rFactor 2 FPS.

I run AC with max settings and get over 200 FPS (vsync off) on single screen and can even run vsync at a solid 60 fps on triple monitors.

I can run AMS at around 300 FPS and can also run that with vsync on at 60 fps on triple screen.

rFactor 2 however, stuggles to maintain 60 fps with vsync off and a single car on the track. Any ideas what ~I can do with this?

I have an i7 4790k, 16 gb of ram, 4 tb hybrid hdd for games, 250gb ssd for my OS and a ASUS Strix 1080 with 8gb of video memory.

All other games run absolutely sweet apart from RF 2 which not only looks like a BOS compared to most tiles but also runs like a BOS.

If you turn stuff like track details and texture details to High (instead of max) and put both reflection settings on "off" (it is not really off, just doesn't update in realtime anymore), you should have zero issues. All of these settings make minimal to no difference visually but save performance.
Maybe there is also a benefit in scaling back one step of AA settings if you happen to use the highest right now.

I have the fps capped at 144 fps and it usually holds it on most tracks in most situations during online racing and single driving, with a GTX 970 / i5

Try this with you triple screens.

rFactor2 video settings:
Mode > Fullscreen
Anti Aliasing > 3-4
Sync: Video

Inn Game > Options > Display:
Circuit Detail > Full
Player Detail > Full
Opponent Detail > Full
Texture Detail > Full
Texture Filter > X16
Special Effects > Full/High
Shadows > Low (FPS killer #1 in rF2)
Shadow Blur > Off
Soft particles > Off
Rain Drops > Yes
Road Reflection > Off (Off gives better fps)
Environment Reflection > Off (Off gives better fps)

UserData > player folder, open player.JASON file and edit:
"Max Framerate":60,
"Max Framerate#":"0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)",
"Texture Sharpening":0,
"Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

Try this with you triple screens.

rFactor2 video settings:
Mode > Fullscreen
Anti Aliasing > 3-4
Sync: Video

Inn Game > Options > Display:
Circuit Detail > Full
Player Detail > Full
Opponent Detail > Full
Texture Detail > Full
Texture Filter > X16
Special Effects > Full/High
Shadows > Low (FPS killer #1 in rF2)
Shadow Blur > Off
Soft particles > Off
Rain Drops > Yes
Road Reflection > Off (Off gives better fps)
Environment Reflection > Off (Off gives better fps)

UserData > player folder, open player.JASON file and edit:
"Max Framerate":60,
"Max Framerate#":"0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)",
"Texture Sharpening":0,
"Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

I get +144fps with those setting on triple screen + multi view on a 4 year old graphics card. So why cap fps at 60. :p
And why blur all textures??? Leave texture filtering at 5.

@Steve Bird , i have a Titan Black (=gtx780ti with a bit more Vram).
I have all display setting at max, default player.json, multiview. Highest AA level.

And depending on track i have 70-100fps when i'm alone on track.

You should get beter results with a gtx1080.

Why should you force 60hz monitor which only can show 60fps to higher then that? If you don`t lock fps equal to monitors hz is only causes tearing stuttering etc in rF2.
60hz=60fps, 120hz=120fps and 144hz=144fps so simple is that if you don`t own G-sync monitors.

Nobody can receive 70-100fps in Rf2 with Max Shadows, High Road Reflection, High Environment Reflection and Highest AA level, it is Christmas not the fools day.

I can run AMS at around 300 FPS and can also run that with vsync on at 60 fps on triple screen.

AMS basically uses rF1 engine from 2006 without HDR, real-time reflections etc., so it's incomparable with rF2. HDR, shadows and reflections is what costs most FPS in rF2 engine. rF2 will get DX11 engine in Q1 0217, which in theory should give a big boost in FPS on modern GPU's.

I get +144fps with those setting on triple screen + multi view on a 4 year old graphics card. So why cap fps at 60. :p
And why blur all textures??? Leave texture filtering at 5.

Sure you get better results with those settings, but I'd rather run shadows entirely off than low on rF2. Shadows on low causes shadows popping in on guard rails 5 meters ahead of your car and the in-cockpit shadows look horribly blocky, reminds me of Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow shadow bugs which was a game released in 2004.

Last edited:
Why should you force 60hz monitor which only can show 60fps to higher then that? If you don`t lock fps equal to monitors hz is only causes tearing stuttering etc in rF2.
60hz=60fps, 120hz=120fps and 144hz=144fps so simple is that if you don`t own G-sync monitors.

Nobody can receive 70-100fps in Rf2 with Max Shadows, High Road Reflection, High Environment Reflection and Highest AA level, it is Christmas not the fools day.
Running higher fps than refresh rate helps improve input lag. The higher the fps the lower the input lag.

Also running at capped 60fps with 60Hz monitor does not cure screen tearing. It causes it. Screen tears appear on the screen when the cutoff from one image (60Hz, 60 images per second in this example) to the next (or every other image or every third) image appears at the same height at the screen. So if you are running 60fps on a 60Hz screen you will have on tear that will stay in the same place. If you run capped 120fps you get two tears.

There is always a tear in the screen (if you don't use some kind of syncing). However the human eye can only spot the tear if the tear appears in the same place all the time. So if you use fps limit of say 83fps on 60Hz monitor then the tear will appear in different place on each frame and the tear is invisible.

You can imagine that your gpu keeps updating one image in the memory. Line by line, pixel by pixel it keeps refreshing the image and depending how many fps you are doing then that many times it can refresh the image per second. This image is then read 60 times per second (60Hz) and is then drawn on the screen. However these refresh rates are not synced so the cutoff can happen anywhere on the image. At 60fps/60Hz you can be in a situation where the cutoff (cutoff=tear) just happens to be exactly between the frames which gives you perfect image. This is extremely unlikely.

From this we can make conclusions
1) To not get screen tearing we want to use fps which puts the tear randomly in the image. 83fps on 60Hz monitor is good. 30, 60 or 120fps is bad.
2) From fps we can also easily calculate how old each raw image is. At 120fps each image is 1/120=8,3milliseconds old. At 60fps each image is 16,7ms. At 222fps it is 4,5ms. Basically.

So on a 60Hz monitor crank up the fps as high as it goes to reduce input lag. If screen tearing is an issue then use 83fps cap.

If you turn stuff like track details and texture details to High (instead of max) and put both reflection settings on "off" (it is not really off, just doesn't update in realtime anymore), you should have zero issues. All of these settings make minimal to no difference visually but save performance.

Reflections = low, makes a massive difference to visuals IMO.

Op do not turn reflections off

Display/monitor input lag is what you factory specifications are and this of course means that if your 60hz display factory specifications are 27ms display/monitor input lag is 27ms at 60 or 83 fps and the only way to improve/cure problems with input lag is to overclock display/monitor.

OP use settings from post #5 and if you can turn Road Reflection and
Environment Reflection > On and you are fine mate :)

Display/monitor input lag is what you factory specifications are and this of course means that if your 60hz display factory specifications are 27ms display/monitor input lag is 27ms at 60 or 83 fps and the only way to improve/cure problems with input lag is to overclock display/monitor.

OP use settings from post #5 and if you can turn Road Reflection and
Environment Reflection > On and you are fine mate :)
Stop. Please. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about...
Input lag is the time it takes for an input to be rendered in a frame, also referenced as frame time. It doesn't matter if the frame will get displayed on the monitor or not.
Display lag is the time it takes for the monitor to actually display the frame that was sent to it from the graphics card.

@PicoBp, are you sure you know what you are talking about?
Yes, I'm positive. And it's kind of my job to know. But you still confuse the input lag (controller) that others are talking about to the display's own latency. Controller input lag is framerate dependent. Higher fps, lower lag. At 60fps a frame gets rendered (not displayed necessarily) every 16.7ms. At 75fps it's 13.3ms. At 120 fps only 8.3ms. The display lag will add to this number, when it receives a picture to draw out.
If you're correct, why would it matter if we use any kind of Sync vs. running with unlimited fps? Theoretical question...

I suggest to check out this video to the end, it's one of the best so far to explain the processing chain and present factual numbers as well. If you still think that fps doesn't matter, just the Hz, then I give up.

I know this is an old thread and the user has triples with a 1080 but I'm testing a 1070 on a single screen @ 1080p/60hz with settings as in post 5 above but with shadows on Max, (Shadow Blur off), and it's still locked at 60fps with 21 other cars on track.
I tried with Shadow Blur on Fast with no noticeable slowdown or issues.
I'm yet to test Shadow Blur on the other settings.
For the test track was Nola and car was the Porsche Flat 6 mod. Yet to try other combos to see if the same is true and whether it's based on car or track or both.

Just wanted to share my findings after reading this post as I'm still searching for that elusive balance between good looks and smooth 60fps running.

I guess this will all be reset by May 1st when they release the DX11 beta to the public to test on Steam...

I know this is an old thread and the user has triples with a 1080 but I'm testing a 1070 on a single screen @ 1080p/60hz with settings as in post 5 above but with shadows on Max, (Shadow Blur off), and it's still locked at 60fps with 21 other cars on track.
I tried with Shadow Blur on Fast with no noticeable slowdown or issues.
I'm yet to test Shadow Blur on the other settings.
For the test track was Nola and car was the Porsche Flat 6 mod. Yet to try other combos to see if the same is true and whether it's based on car or track or both.

Just wanted to share my findings after reading this post as I'm still searching for that elusive balance between good looks and smooth 60fps running.

I guess this will all be reset by May 1st when they release the DX11 beta to the public to test on Steam...

Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D setings > 1. Select program to customize > rFactor 2 (rFactor2.exe)rFactor.......> Texture fitering -Quality > High Quality > makes rFactor 2 look much better but it will cost few fps extra.

Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D setings > 1. Select program to customize > rFactor 2 (rFactor2.exe)rFactor.......> Texture fitering -Quality > High Quality > makes rFactor 2 look much better but it will cost few fps extra.
Nice one, Ari! Will give that a go tomorrow.

I find tweaking this title can give you great visuals and stable fps if you're willing to put a little effort in.
Yeah, it's not as pretty as AC and PCars but it's not a complete dog. Plus it just feels so good and connected to the road it's just a joy to race it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back