rFactor 2 | Formula E Updates Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have dropped a new bunch of Formula E related updates to rFactor 2, addressing a few outstanding issues and updating four of the tracks and the 2021 Gen2 Formula E car.

The new updates are all available to download now, and cover the paid Gen2 car and Hong Kong, New York and Berlin E-Prix street circuits, plus the free Electric Docks Formula E Test Track available via the Steam Workshop.

Formula E Updates 2.jpg

In terms of the updates themselves, various aspects of each circuit have been addressed with these new builds, from minor artwork changes to the trackside signage, to the more substantial tweaks and improvements to various aspects of the venues - details of which can be found in the update notes below:

Hong Kong E-Prix v1.83
  • Fixed: Pit official SCN error.
  • Fixed: Cut Detection Issues.
  • Fixed: Minor Material Updates to Road Surfaces.
  • Fixed: Various material errors.
  • Minor Advertisement Updates.
Berlin E-Prix v.1.25
  • Fixed :Closed terrain gaps, new rrbins, fixed lines mapping.
  • Fixed: Hat collision on two objects.
  • Fixed: Pitworker animation.
  • Fixed: irradSpecular and refmap texture flag issues.
  • Fixed: Cut Detection Issues.
  • Fixed: Minor Material Updates to Road Surfaces.
  • Moved Atmospherics to GDB file.
  • Minor Advertisement Updates.
New York E-Prix v.1.19
  • Fixed: Pit officials animation update
  • Fixed: irradSpecular and refmap texture flag issues
  • Fixed: Set atmospherics
  • Fixed: Cut Detection Issues
  • Fixed: Minor Material Updates to Road Surfaces
  • Reduced bumpiness in TDF
  • Rdt balancing
  • More safe cut settings
  • Minor Advertisement Updates
Formula E Test Track v2.19
  • Fixed: Much stricter track cut detection.
  • Fixed: Camera at SF not able to see down pitlane.
  • Fixed: various collision issues.
  • Fixed: Start light issue.
  • Fixed: Wall shadow issues.
  • Regenerated RRBIN.
  • FE Advertisement updates.
  • Adjusted default session times.
  • Updated Crowds.
  • Added Digital Flags.
  • Road Material updates.
  • Reworked barriers around chicanes.
  • Tightened up T1 Chicane.
  • Revised Cut Corridors.
  • Updated Advertisements.
  • Replaced Tyre Stacks with TecPro.
Gen2 Formula E Car v1.37
  • Updated liveries based on manufacturer feedback

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now, exclusively on PC.

Check out the rF2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for a place to discuss all the latest news and conversation about the world of rFactor 2 - start up a thread today!

Formula E Updates 3.jpg
Formula E updates 4.jpg

Last edited:
Another one to add to rF2 list of distinction
The only sim where a single model gets singled out

But hey it's fine in Assetto Corsa, lots of likes for the Formula-E mod, skins and tracks
I don't see anyone making negative comments in those
Typical :thumbsup:
Let's be honest Durge, there was no issue with that kind of content and updates for it if the rest of the sim was in a decent state. I allready wrote it in the official forum, but I don't get the reasoning behind those updates and how content and development gets prioritized at all. We have a clutch and transmission model that is the worst of the bunch of sims that are currently in use and popular, but we get nonesense like attack mode that even breaks the offline racing for FE fans. It makes zero sense despite pleasing a few die hard fans and people in business suits.

As I see it, you are a big fan of historic content aswell. So why haven't we seen long needed updates for Brianza, Spa and Monaco. The most subscribed official content for rF2 can be checked within a matter of two minutes and most of that content hasn't been touched since 2017. A driver model that doesn't look like from the early nineties and has more than ten polygons would go along way and help to make this sim a pleasant and immersive experience for newcomers or people who consider to wade through that content and the clunky new UI wich makes this sim look like a mess. I have been called a rF2 fanboy more than one time and I would clearly call rF2 my favortie sim, but I am not dumb enough to see when a car is hitting a tree. That we need a workaround for the new UI is a clear sign that something is not right.

Let's be honest Durge, there was no issue with that kind of content and updates for it if the rest of the sim was in a decent state. I allready wrote it in the official forum, but I don't get the reasoning behind those updates and how content and development gets prioritized at all. We have a clutch and transmission model that is the worst of the bunch of sims that are currently in use and popular, but we get nonesense like attack mode that even breaks the offline racing for FE fans. It makes zero sense despite pleasing a few die hard fans and people in business suits.

As I see it, you are a big fan of historic content aswell. So why haven't we seen long needed updates for Brianza, Spa and Monaco. The most subscribed official content for rF2 can be checked within a matter of two minutes and most of that content hasn't been touched since 2017. A driver model that doesn't look like from the early nineties and has more than ten polygons would go along way and help to make this sim a pleasant and immersive experience for newcomers or people who consider to wade through that content and the clunky new UI wich makes this sim look like a mess. I have been called a rF2 fanboy more than one time and I would clearly call rF2 my favortie sim, but I am not dumb enough to see when a car is hitting a tree. That we need a workaround for the new UI is a clear sign that something is not right.

As in every rf2 thread I find the various use cases and priorities people have very interesting. Never did I have any problem using the new UI. Never have I noticed anything disgusting about a driver model. Never have I seen cars crash into trees. No sign to me that Spa needs an urgent update.
I'm very modest with what I expect from life. Driving GTE/LMP multiclass endurance races on relevant tracks for that (LM, Sebring, Spa) with random weather and day/night cycles using 3.000€ Hardware and 70€ Software (including ALL content that's of interest to me) is good enough for me. Maybe I should expect more from the Software side of things.

Let's be honest: With this use case in mind, there is nothing to compare to. It looks like the same goes for FE stuff (although I don't follow that topic at all).

As in every rf2 thread I find the various use cases and priorities people have very interesting. Never did I have any problem using the new UI. Never have I noticed anything disgusting about a driver model. Never have I seen cars crash into trees. No sign to me that Spa needs an urgent update.
I'm very modest with what I expect from life. Driving GTE/LMP multiclass endurance races on relevant tracks for that (LM, Sebring, Spa) with random weather and day/night cycles using 3.000€ Hardware and 70€ Software (including ALL content that's of interest to me) is good enough for me. Maybe I should expect more from the Software side of things.

Let's be honest: With this use case in mind, there is nothing to compare to. It looks like the same goes for FE stuff (although I don't follow that topic at all).
I don't think that I am expecting too much either if I expect to put my 250 Euro h-pattern shifter to good use in a sim that prevents people from flatshifting through the gears without using the clutch. That's not the case with rF2, while modders have achieved better results in rF1 and rF2.

Even if the new UI has it's strong points, it is a far stretch to call that UI even release ready or feature complete, considering that we have the old UI as a workaround for things that aren't working in the new UI, and trust me there are alot of them. Again, a clever modder allready has implemented more updates in the last couple of months than S397 throughout the whole beta phase, when people took their valuable time to test things and write feedback - for free. I won't offer that service again, that's for sure.

And last but not least: the outdated content. I am by no means a graphics whore and I certainly rate functionality of graphics over cinematics. What I can't stand though is if the best content in a game looks like modern quality content utilizing all features of that engine while content that has not been updated since several years get's put aside while new content get's released. And no, you can't sell someone a game with content like this as part of the stock game in 2021 when hobby modders in your community are doing a better job and if you sell content like the 488 at the same time. Why are we even discussing this?
previewfile_1238620691.jpg

Then comes the issue of missing functionaliy of outdated content. We get nonesense like attack mode (again breaking parts of the game) when certain features like the brake stomping AI and parts of the rule system (especialy FCY) have been broken and not fixed for several years. Have you ever tried using Interlagos in the rain? Better do yourself a favor and use the 3rd party version from the workshop. The Monaco AIW has been broken since over year and the Ligier still isn't fixed after three months. That's just a few examples of payed content that got put aside for fantastic content like Diriyah.

rF2 needs to stop being the sim of workarounds and stuff needs to be developed more straight forward following a certain standard. You can't have tracks that look like modern Spa and others that look like GPL tracks at the same time. That's a no-go and everyone who ever worked in game development will tell you the same. The car hitting a tree is just an analogy btw, but with the AI at Spa it isn't so far off the mark. :p

Last edited:
Would be interesting to have a poll asking the RF2 drivers if they drive the formula E, often, not often, never.
I have no interest in those cars and even less on the type of tracks they race on, that is valid for me on any SIM, but particularly valid for the type of cars I am interested to experience in RF2.

One question begs to be asked - why must we limit ourselves to imitate what is raced in the present ? In simulation there is no limit what and where to race... Well, we mustn't, but we do. Why ?

I know the answer.

No idea what the answer is for you, excellent question though.
For me, the main attraction I have to SIM racing is the ability to pretend I am taking part in present and past events, so fantasy tracks and cars have almost no appeal to me.
So not so much a limitation as an ability to fantasize experiences that I will not be able to live in real life. VR is a huge phantasy inducer for me.
I used to get my fix by watching live or recorded video events, but since I equipped my self with "proper" hardware, I almost not watch anything anymore, much prefer pretend I am part of it.

Last edited:
I don't like electrics but it's great that a simu has the official licence for cars and tracks!
but a friend of mine bought rf2 just for the Formula-E content and the official tracks, he's a fan of the FE/F1 irl he finds them very good and has a lot of fun with them, i don't...it takes all to make a world!
Congratz S397 for this quality content!

Personally I would like to see more circuits like Portimao, sachsenring, Autopolis, etc...tired of seeing flat circuits...
and old and modern GT content like DTM 80/90's, BTCC 90's, Le Mans 70's/80's, super GT and others!

Last edited:
Everyone well knows only a small % like FE, go to motorsports forum you know that

What would a poll do ? something to laugh about at others expense ?

Best remember anyone has brought FE could well be buying more DLC supporting S397 then yourselves

I want them to make the AI use coasting, battery management, and use the attack zone.

At present, this feature set has only been implemented for online multiplayer activity, and is not compatible with our current AI systems

present and current being the operative words, all anyone can do is hope ;)

Either way brings another unique feature to leagues and esport :thumbsup:

I also haven't driven it a lot, but thats mostly because I am mostly immersed in my own physics I make plus I am more into historics.

I wanted to mention that by judging some RL onboards, those cars looks like they are actually rather exciting to drive. IMO the tracks are rather monotonic and similar, except few of them which looks rather fun like Berlin or Rome. Can't comment on rF2 cars since I have driven them so little, but I also haven't seen them being driven in as exciting way as in some RL onboards of pole positions and so...

The problem for me is the lack of top speed and the tracks they ran officially are god awful.

I do think it is fun to drive on closed tracks like Sebring or Imola but these cars combined with those street tracks, are a match made in hell.

This is coming from someone who loved the R3E's IDR in Nords until the DTM2020 appears in R3E. The sound of the IDR is vastly better than the samples FE got, I did like how these cars sound in videos that are heavily compressed but they are horrible in rF2.

The problem for me is the lack of top speed and the tracks they ran officially are god awful.

I do think it is fun to drive on closed tracks like Sebring or Imola but these cars combined with those street tracks, are a match made in hell.

This is coming from someone who loved the R3E's IDR in Nords until the DTM2020 appears in R3E. The sound of the IDR is vastly better than the samples FE got, I did like how these cars sound in videos that are heavily compressed but they are horrible in rF2.

I tried them on Road Atlanta. It was pretty awesome. Didn't last long though.

LOL, indeed that is a match made in hell. Ironically, it is made to virtue signal how friendly and silent they are, so they do not disturb anyone. At the same time they block streets, and I wonder if they don't cause traffic jams that way. Meanwhile there are real racing tracks which are in danger because Karen neighbours complain about noise, and thus some electric racing in there would be beneficial to everyone. But seems they prefer to build concrete-advertisment poster tunel-bunkers inside actual cities that really most of them are simply not good in almost every way.

Everyone well knows only a small % like FE, go to motorsports forum you know that

What would a poll do ? something to laugh about at others expense ?

Best remember anyone has brought FE could well be buying more DLC supporting S397 then yourselves

present and current being the operative words, all anyone can do is hope ;)

Either way brings another unique feature to leagues and esport :thumbsup:
I've bought the Endurance Bundle 2 and reported an issue with the Ligier rendering all opponent cars at lowest settings with missing parts, wich is a very big bug if you ask me and instantly noticable. Should have been fixed a week or two later, but it's been three months since release and all I got was nada ... nothing. The sound of the C8R is something for the wastebin aswell. The fix for the broken Monaco AIW took a clever person in the forum and more than a year. As I've read somewhere in the forum it's in testing right now. That's all stuff that has been reported by several people in the respective and right places wich isn't even connected to core issues that I have less problems with.

With all the hotfixes and updates that Kunos and Reiza release for their products in a very short time frame after they release new content and patches, it doesn't present S397 in a good way and makes the opther two look like geniuses. I think I've given this studio enough room for error, but if even the easiest principles of customer and product support don't work, my good will and support hits it's limits. So unless they start fixing long term issues, I see no reason to open my wallet again.

I've bought the Endurance Bundle 2 and reported an issue with the Ligier rendering all opponent cars at lowest settings with missing parts, wich is a very big bug if you ask me and instantly noticable. Should have been fixed a week or two later, but it's been three months since release and all I got was nada ...

I think I don't understand (which might very well be due to my limited English:)): That means that if you drive the Ligier, all other cars around you are rendered using the lowest settings and missing parts? I would have tried that but can't see any difference to the rendering done e.g. when driving the F488.
I'm still driving the GTEs in multiclass with LMP2 but would like to "upgrade" to the LMP2s going forward. Won't do if a bug like you describe here would occur, though.

I've bought the Endurance Bundle 2 and reported an issue with the Ligier rendering all opponent cars at lowest settings with missing parts, wich is a very big bug if you ask me and instantly noticable.
Absolutely. The first look shows, if you look through Ligiers window, other cars have no shadows. Reported the bug at discord, but as mostly there is no reply...

This is Ligier
20210212193012_1.jpg

This is Oreca
20210212194628_1.jpg

Last edited:
I've been watching FE over the years and the last few races have been good. The last race on a proper race circuit at Valencia was extreme - Race 1 ran out of wigglies and Race 2 very strategic with power management.
So, I've now got the Formula E bundle. Proving to be fun. But understeers like mad!!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 113 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 292 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.6%