Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Formula E DLC 1.jpg

Studio 397 have released a new preview video of the upcoming Formula E content for rFactor 2, and we sit with head man Marcel Offermans to discuss what Formula E means to the simulation...

Love it or loathe it, Formula E is very quickly forcing itself into the racing limelight following a seemingly endless number of manufacturers flocking to the all electric single seater racing series in recent months. Brainchild of Spanish businessman Alejandro Agag, the FIA supported Formula E series has made a steady start in life as it looks to break into the wider motorsport consciousness of fans brought up on the sounds and smells of the combustion engine.

Running electric power and featuring some high profile drivers, the series has really stepped up a gear towards the end of the previous season and the build up to the opening round of 2017/18, confirming top level manufacturers such as Porsche, Mercedes, BMW and Audi all in recent months, some very experience World Endurance Championship calibre drivers and an already established line up of works teams and well sorted privateer entries..

As a marker of the level of popularity the series now seems to have achieved, Studio 397 have taken their relationship with the controversial championship to the next level with confirmation that a new DLC is on the way to rFactor 2, bringing all the cars, teams and drivers of the category to the incredible rFactor 2 simulator. Below you can check out the preview video and catch up on our brief interview with the head of Studio 397, Marcel Offermans;

RD: So Marcel, Formula E? What attracted you to the series and made you think the cars and tracks would be a good match for rFactor 2?

MO
: There are a lot of things that attracted us to Formula E to be honest. For one it is definitely a rising star, attracting more top drivers, teams and manufacturers in record time than any other series. It does a lot of things right in terms of engagement and leveraging its unique capabilities. It also early on recognized the value of esports and the synergy that comes from close collaboration, which is why we're so proud to be able to work with them to bring their series to the leading platform in terms of simulation: rFactor 2!

RD: You have the first official licence to fully recreate the series as a whole, how close is the technical partnership between S397 and Formula E, what sort of involvement have they allowed the studio to enjoy?

MO
: We have had the opportunity to work with Formula E very closely over the last couple of months, and continue to do so. This means for example that we get highly accurate CAD designs of their tracks including all the barriers they install and several other aspects like ambient sounds. For the cars we have worked with both Formula E, teams and manufacturers to get the correct physics, 3D and sound data.

RD: So will you be replicating the full grid in this new pack, and which season will it cover?

MO
: The pack will come with the cars, teams and drivers of the upcoming 2018 season that starts at Hong Kong in the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd of December.

rF2 Formula E DLC 3.jpg

RD: And how about tracks? I see the pack will come with Hong Kong, will we be seeing more from the Formula E schedule over time?

MO: Yes, we anticipate to bring more tracks over time. We don't have a specific timeline yet.

RD: rF2 is a very advanced simulation, how have you found the challenges of modelling a rather unique form of racing compared to the usual combustion engine cars seen traditionally in the sim?

MO
: Obviously a Formula E race is different from your typical race with cars that use combustion engines. During a race you are allowed to use two cars and each race is very tactical because you need to manage the available power so you can make it to the end. We have obviously simulated the electric engine and these aspects and like in the real races you will typically use the maximum available power and downforce during qualification and for the race switch to a setup with minimum downforce and slightly less power. During the race you can constantly adjust your "regeneration" settings, giving you the option to either regenerate more energy when braking and as a consequence brake a little less efficient or regenerate less and have a shorter braking distance. When battling other cars on the track, that can become very tricky and also a lot of fun, as we've already found in private testing.

RD: Obvious question but one probably most popular.. when and how much?!?!

MO
: The how much question we will reveal when we release the pack. The "when" is easier: this will be out before the season opener, so next week!

So there you have it folks, Formula E is coming to rFactor 2 next week! Stay tuned for more as and when it becomes available..

rF2 Formula E DLC 2.jpg

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Excited to see Formula E cars coming to rFactor 2? Do you think the series will transfer well to simulation racing? Looking forward to seeing more quality Studio 397 DLC content? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
It's interesting so many people bash this content. People have been begging for official content for a long time. Now it finally gets some and just because it has quiet engines. People hate on it.

I think it's a good difference from the usual GT, PT and F1 content you always get. Let's get some more diversity in our simracing world! V8 Supercars, FE, WTCC/BTCC. We need more of those kinds of licensed series and tracks.

What I'd like to know is whether this will be released like the GT contents, or whether there might be some sort of "season pass" where extra tracks will be added as they come out. It could also be an idea to include a generic Formula E car in the base content, so it can encourage people to get the DLC.

Formula E doesn't seem to be THAT exclusive, as the cars have appeared in Forza Motorsport 6+7, Real Racing 3 and possibly some other titles.

Oh boy, why people are so salty about Formula E?

In this moment YOU are "The American" of The Grand Tour.
You ever watched it on TV? It's about as exciting as watching paint dry....
Btw, I'm not american, I'm a Brit living in Germany. :D But I'm also 63 and I know what I like: racing cars should be loud, fast and stink of petrol. The whole idea of E-racing is a political knee-jerk reaction to make the greens happy, and isn't going to make any real difference anyway.
And did I already mention that it's booooooooooring?

Btw, I'm not american, I'm a Brit living in Germany. :D But I'm also 63 and I know what I like: racing cars should be loud, fast and stink of petrol. The whole idea of E-racing is a political knee-jerk reaction to make the greens happy, and isn't going to make any real difference anyway.

It might be boring to watch them. But luckily you will be able to drive them.

What were they thinking FFS?
I thought that was fairly obvious? eSports. Formula E has been a mover & shaker in regards to eSports racing, from last year's http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/esports/vegas-erace/ with a million dollar prize to their little sim playgrounds at all the races. Formula E then went on to hire a couple people to work with S397 improving the Formula E eRace for this upcoming season and we're now seeing the fruits of it. S397 got involved with McLaren's Worlds Fastest Gamer and developed an impressive behind-the-scenes automated server architecture... they weren't just thinking about WFG. Formula E's vision of simracing is hopefully an indicator of what the simracing future holds rather than the only example.

S397 is certainly not alone in the simracing eSports market. iRacing has had the Peak Antifreeze series for several years, but isn't really getting the desired audience and their infrastructure is holding them back (notice we didn't get to see live broadcast of their part in WFG?). GT Academy was a solid attempt and has a lock in the console world at this time because nobody else has stepped in (apart from SMS new entry). SMS, with pCARS2, is working along these lines, but lacks the track record that rF2 has at this point. Sector 3 has been quietly holding competitions in R3E with an internal focus and now are expanding their competitions. Kunos lacks the infrastructure and limits their involvement to little sim playgrounds at car shows.

:D That's what i was thinking too, after seeing the first screenshot.

Although it is good, that a current sim has some animated flag marshals (which is sadly not common at the moment), but hey ..... these guys look like they are wearing some orange baby rompers or long underwear.:O_o:
Looks like all their animated models are with clothes like these =/
GRAB_032.JPG

Hopefully they'll upgrade this stuff soon and the gloves model too. I dont get why they dont use gloves like the F12013 mod

Studio397 needs a big hit and here it is.

I like it, after all Formula E is the most hyped & marketed motorsport, even all the big manufacturers noticed they have to get in it and start to leave the petrol age behind.
And now we have it in rf2, thats just great for this great sim living in the shades.

Sign me up for the RD 1.000.000$ eSport-Formula-E season 1, thats sure to come :cool:

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/june/why-formula-e-races-are-so-exciting/

Great to see movement on rF2 and with a bold move like FE, I'm impressed albeit not excited for the content. Don't get me wrong the cars I would like to drive but those circuits not so much. Put them on a track like Gingerman, Lime Rock or Mid-Ohio and I'll be all over it. I do enjoy rF2 but I always look at all the mods for the original and think why not just get rFactor? Well rFactor just went on sale ($6.24 usd) and with all the intriguing mods available I have to admit I am considering this and going back instead of forward. Bringing up a question that has been brought up before, but why not work on converting more of the rFactor mods to the rFactor2 standard? Is it an impossible task, or is it that's the past and were moving on?

Great to see movement on rF2 and with a bold move like FE, I'm impressed albeit not excited for the content. Don't get me wrong the cars I would like to drive but those circuits not so much. Put them on a track like Gingerman, Lime Rock or Mid-Ohio and I'll be all over it. I do enjoy rF2 but I always look at all the mods for the original and think why not just get rFactor? Well rFactor just went on sale ($6.24 usd) and with all the intriguing mods available I have to admit I am considering this and going back instead of forward. Bringing up a question that has been brought up before, but why not work on converting more of the rFactor mods to the rFactor2 standard? Is it an impossible task, or is it that's the past and were moving on?
Mills Metro Park although not a real track would suit Formula E cars too, Maybe Putnam Park too. Even fake Richmond speedway might be great fun in them haha.

It may be political to some extent for now, but it sure isn't in the future when one day all consumer cars will be electric. Volvo has already announced they will only produce electric or hybrid cars by 2019, and others will follow. What big car manufacturer will be interested in producing petrol engines purely for racing if all their other business revolves around electric cars?

Mills Metro Park although not a real track would suit Formula E cars too, Maybe Putnam Park too. Even fake Richmond speedway might be great fun in them haha.
Great suggestions, didn't even consider the short ovals. Brands Hatch Indy may be another.

"The whole idea of E-racing is a political knee-jerk reaction to make the greens happy..."

Not entirely. The concept was driven by manufacturers (rather than environmentalists) as they wanted a new series that could promote electric vehicles, and so on. That's what their marketing departments want now to promote their brand. Sad but true.

As long as the manufacturers are spending millions on it, it's here to stay.

I would badly like them to switch to slicks though, silent cars, ok. Squeaking tyres, not so much...lol

Great suggestions, didn't even consider the short ovals. Brands Hatch Indy may be another.
Brands Hatch indy hadn't even crossed my mind, that could be really fun with the first corner. Tracks like Oulton Park and maybe even Cadwell if its available for rF2 would be good too. And with the mention of Ovals some have cool little infield tracks that might prove quite fun.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 365 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%