rFactor 2 | February Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have released their Development Roadmap for February, looking closer at the latest tweaks and improvements that have are being carried out by the studio in recent days.

Keeping up the tradition of monthly community updates about the latest developments in the world of rFactor 2, Studio 397 recently published their latest roadmap posting and gave some interesting insights into the future development direction of the simulation - as well as confirmation that the Diriyah E-Prix circuit will be added to the software as paid DLC later this week.

rF2-Indy-Update-4.jpg

In the roadmap post, the Studio shared with the community the latest development bugs they have been reviewed back at base, with some nice insights into the next round of updates that will be deployed to the simulation in the near furure:

"As we detailed in the last Development Roadmap back at the end of January, a lot of the attention from our development team continues to be focused on addressing a number of the identified and existing bugs within the simulation, with extra attention having been spent in recent weeks verifying and analysing a wide variety of different aspects of the software that can be fixed in the short, medium and long term development of rFactor 2. In an effort to ensure we deploy our resources in a sensible and structured way, we have gone to great lengths to understand where we can make the most impact on the highest number of important fixes within the sim, whilst keeping a close eye on the potential effects this might bring into the codebase within the software. When working on a piece of software as complex as rFactor 2, it is often the case that one change within the development code has unintended consequences elsewhere, and what initially felt like it would be a relatively straight forward change ends up eating into considerable amounts of time that we have budgeted for the fixes, which in turn can have an impact on how many issues we can address in a given timeframe.

In order to facilitate our ongoing development process, we have taken the decision to have a closer look at the underlying code within rFactor 2, and how various pieces of the software depend on other aspects of the code, and what these functions aim to achieve in how rFactor 2 operates behind the scenes. This is proving to be a fruitful exercise, and many fixes and improvements have already been identified and resolved by the development team – which helps put us in a stronger position moving forward. The downside to this is a lot of our resource has been applied to fixing areas of the software that will perhaps not manifest themselves as noticeable changes to the public, but they have certainly been required in order to give us the stable base on which we need to keep pushing forward, and start bringing together those big ticket changes that really uplift the user experience for our players.

Earlier this month we deployed a new build update to the ‘Release Candidate’ branch of Steam (more on RC builds below) that contained the first round of tweaks and improvements we have been working on. So far, we have received a positive reaction to this build, and community feedback suggests we are very close to putting these fixes into the main public branch of the software. The benefit we’ve found in having a release candidate branch has been significant, as it allows us to gauge the reaction of our community and identify if any issues become apparent that did not show themselves during our internal testing, whilst still offering players the opportunity to stick with the main stable branch of the software if they so choose. We are pleased with how this is working initially, and will continue to adopt this development strategy for the foreseeable future"

roadmap_2021_02_01.jpg

Another positive benefit of having a Release Candidate branch for our new update is it allows us to split development focus between closing up any outstanding issues on the RC build that may appear, whilst simultaneously continuing to advance the process of creating our next build – something that is well underway at the Studio and should be very, very close to being deployed to the RC branch once we’ve moved the current changes into the public version of the software. Oh and yes, wheel and pedal inputs will return for the next update…!".

In other good news for fans of the title that have been keen to see the studio address some of the long standing issues with the simulation, studio 397 have also confirmed they have addressed several areas of user interest for an upcoming build release, that should be deployed as 'release candidate' in the near future.

Of that new build, the studio had the following to say about the upcoming new build:

"Related to content, we fixed a CTD when you tried to launch with a series selected that was uninstalled, we made sure there are no ways anymore to select upgrades that were different from the ones the server forced, and we addressed an issue where sometimes when you tried joining a server you would end up selecting cars from the wrong list. Finally, we have extended the logging to include more details about the content that’s being loaded.

Fixed issues with the UI sometimes running at an insane framerate. In the options screen, if you would change FFB settings, they would not register until you go on the track for the second time. The session settings screen saw a bunch of fixes, most of them related to making sure settings get reset at the proper time, such as when changing tracks or series. In the package management screen, we fixed a sometimes not working refresh button. Favorites are also refreshed if you add new ones from the full server list and finally the garage screen now also shows wheel loads.

In the graphics department, after discovering, in testing, some graphical glitches in the skies, included those in the permanent fixes we did that would also sometimes cause the car bodies to glitch and “blow up”. We removed the faint boundaries you would see in VR when looking at the edges of the UI. Last but not least we fixed an issue where secondary wet weather reflections would not show up on damp road surfaces.

Added driver and car info displays to the full screen replay. This includes inputs like steering, brake, clutch and throttle and a g-force circle graph. On top of that we also now always display the correct driver before and after driver swaps. In a race session we now show the time remaining in a session. The message centre now consistently shows the same naming and numbering for values as the garage when changing settings such as ABS and TC while driving."

Other notable mentions in the roadmap is confirmation that the Diriyah E-Prix will be arriving this week, plus another circuit that later this month that has yet to be revealed.

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now, exclusively on PC.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest and greatest news, chat and speculation about the rFactor 2 racing simulation.

rF2_RCCO_15.jpg

Last edited:

Also another big plus I forgot, you don't wait for server refresh your room comes to the top first so no waiting ;) lol

Posting this while in the room swapping cars :giggle: offline online rules :x3:

Sorry for 4K and windowed low res rf2 but only way to show it ( click on image once should be 4K ....I think )

Anyways you can see room in list and I in it as you see the Car Select button

EDIT: LIMITS
You can only swap cars in practice sessions
You can only have 25 different car models in each rfmod you make

Last edited:
Finally a thorough clean up starting from the core. Possibly the best update that can give some new hope to this excellent sim.
All competitors have done huge steps on many fronts with rather stable performances and impressive graphics. Still the endurance DNA with the LeMans orientation of rF2 remain one of the highlights. I’m optimistic this might be a big step in the right direction

Case in point the other day I was pitting for my 3rd stop in a 12 hour Virginia resume
I followed another DPi into pits and it took my pit box ( oh my yes it does happen)

I waited 40 seconds which destroyed my race, i could have left pits straight away and pitted again but
that lost just as much time

Instead I ESC launch replay rewind the tape before I entered pits then do another lap before I pit

Tell me ? what is better, doing that or giving up frustrated and complaining about AI ?

GRAB_000.JPG

Please, in your humble opinion because I drive and enjoy it every day

Am on totally new kick of resuming 6 to 24 hour races

Have to try it on ACC and AMS2 !

Oh wait they can't
You say rF2 needs faster loading and a proper transmission

I say all other sims need resume race and ability to swap cars in garage

People asking for basic features in a so called "simulator"...
You replying those guys are wrong and appreciating it for something you can't do/simulate in real life (stopping time during 24hr races / swapping car with another model)...
Basically you find a "plus" something I would define arcadish like time rewind after a crash on Grid or restarting a race with a better tuned car in Need for Speed titles...

Last edited:
Tomato Tomahto
or should we all be clones

Funny 1000's of 24 hour skins downloads for AC and others but of course you have smart answer for that as well ;)

Ask me if anything the people never attempted or did 24hour resume race in GTR2 are the arcaders

Make a interesting poll the majority don't do full races yet spend countless thousands on real life size replica wheels and VR reality to do fantasy sprint races ...do most even practice or qual ?

Last edited:
People that complain everyday need to reassess their hobby !

They are meant to be fun if you honestly feel these ways why would you persist and waste your time in here is beyond me !

You say rF2 needs faster loading and a proper transmission

I say all other sims need resume race and ability to swap cars in garage

I don't go in AMS2 and ACC threads whining about it day after day after day, that is the difference

I hear every word you write:)
But to be honest: rf2 does not have the ability to resume a race, either. Very unfortunately loading a replay obviously does not load the state of the player car (including its setup at the time of pausing!).
If there is a workaround for that, I'd be very interested in it. I have prepared myself for quite a long time of waiting for a fix:)

I see your posts on MSFS forum. You seem to have a quite a double standard of giving s397 and Rieza a big clean pass when it comes to either breaking things that used to work or leaving outstanding bugs remaining update after update whereas Asobo you give a good bit of schtick to. To be fair, nine times out of 10 these Dev Roadmaps contain nothing of note. This is the exception and a very welcome change to their approach long overdue if you ask me.

I am fully supportive of the criticism you have for Asobo BTW. The latest flaps fiasco was a joke, but I really dont understand why you see s397 and Rieza not doing similar things?

I see the RC in steam Betas tab. No idea how to find out whats actually in them mind you. Anyone care to elaborate on where that info is posted?

Edit: I toned down my statement because it sounded like I had no regard for MarcG opinion which could not be further from the truth. One of the few guys around here who more often than not, makes perfect sense.. probably much more so than myself. :)

I give Asobo stick because they are a massive company, with huge backing and yet they're making very simple errors almost every single patch with a poor attempt at fixing things quickly (Flaps Hot Fix only just released yesterday an example). I expect better from a company with more employees and staff that should clearly see the Bugs that are "new" and yet still released to the Public, their QA Department is fundamentally flawed as is their quite ridiculous "Voting System" & Zendesk to highlight Bugs to them - I know I'm not alone in that thinking

I give S397/Reiza/Sector3 etc less stick because they are tiny companies compared to Asobo, sure it's annoying when "new" bugs appear I'm not denying that, but with Teams their size I am more considerate as to how much work goes into their coding so I appreciate more what I have got not what I'm missing out on. They're no Angels of course and IMO all companies could do things "better" where they have done poor in the past, but I've made those points on their Official Forums and won't repeat myself here.

At the end of the day Asobo are an AAA Dev with wads of cash to thrown at everything, the Racing Sims are essentially Indie Devs to a certain degree (kinda...) working to tight budgets with just enough Staff to get by, they deserve a break every now and then and that's why this good news about RF2 in this article should be viewed as such, not yet another reason to point out the bugs they "should" be working on, they have their priorities - let them get on with it :)

Never ever managed this sim to work with my ts-pc and rift s to judge. It was always a struggle. Because I’m not a prejudiced man and keep hearing how this is a good sim.
Really tried to get into it without success. Afterall maybe I can judge it’s compatibility and user friendliness. As a result I removed it from my hard drive.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just out of curiosity, could you define it not working with your wheel and VR system?
Works fine with my TS PC and it works my Rift - which is not a Rift S, I know, but still...

Did they not work together, didn’t you get the feel right, is it performance?

It could be so good, with a little bit of attention to detail, and polishing the rough edges.

Which is pretty much what they've alluded too in this Article, you don't just dive into code and "Polish away until clean". They have to dig deep and gradually eek out the issues one by one, making sure that doesn't in turn break something else and with that they'll eventually get to a sort of Finish Line.

Again I agree some issues are annoying that have been in the Sim for years, but it's pointless constantly referring to them (as is the way at RD....) as though they'll magically get fixed overnight, it really isn't that simple.

Which is pretty much what they've alluded too in this Article, you don't just dive into code and "Polish away until clean". They have to dig deep and gradually eek out the issues one by one, making sure that doesn't in turn break something else and with that they'll eventually get to a sort of Finish Line.

Again I agree some issues are annoying that have been in the Sim for years, but it's pointless constantly referring to them (as is the way at RD....) as though they'll magically get fixed overnight, it really isn't that simple.
With respect, I disagree: when S397 took over, their first priority should've been to sort the code out and establish a properly working core functionality, and then set about modernising it. I've been waiting over four years now for that to happen, and I'll keep on repeating it with every new road map till it happens.
I hope that this road map will really come true as far as the intended bug fixes go.
I'll be the first one to congratulate S397 when (if?) it really happens. I love rF2, it's been my go to sim since it was released, but the core functionality could be better,
and the AI too, and I'll keep on hammering away at it till rF2 is the sim it deserves to be. That's just my opinion, YMMV. :)

I hear every word you write:)
But to be honest: rf2 does not have the ability to resume a race, either. Very unfortunately loading a replay obviously does not load the state of the player car (including its setup at the time of pausing!).
If there is a workaround for that, I'd be very interested in it. I have prepared myself for quite a long time of waiting for a fix:)

There is a workaround for the setup issue. Set your setup as the default for that track before the race. I think it is the assign button when loading/saving setups.

I have the impression that one thing that doesn't get saved is the tires state, or at least the temperature, so better to resume from a pit stop.

There is a workaround for the setup issue. Set your setup as the default for that track before the race. I think it is the assign button when loading/saving setups.

I have the impression that one thing that doesn't get saved is the tires state, or at least the temperature, so better to resume from a pit stop.
Ah, another workaround for something that shouldn't be broken in the first place. Don't you just love rF2? :)

With respect, I disagree: when S397 took over, their first priority should've been to sort the code out and establish a properly working core functionality, and then set about modernising it. I've been waiting over four years now for that to happen, and I'll keep on repeating it with every new road map till it happens.
I hope that this road map will really come true as far as the intended bug fixes go.
I'll be the first one to congratulate S397 when (if?) it really happens. I love rF2, it's been my go to sim since it was released, but the core functionality could be better,
and the AI too, and I'll keep on hammering away at it till rF2 is the sim it deserves to be. That's just my opinion, YMMV. :)

Then we wouldn't of got DX11, VR, Graphical Improvements and other areas of the Sim that have clearly advanced. You seem to be failing in understanding that it's not your Sim to get what you want but S397s Sim to do what they want and progress with it how they see fit, by all means repeat yourself every month but that's not going to solve anything and as I said it's pointless.

As the mods have said start a new thread with your personal grievances, don't trash talk every single Road Map thread with the same repetitive nonsense.

Last edited:

Thanks a lot for the workaround! When I discovered the issue I tried just that - but (as we are talking about looong races) I often came to the situation where I changed the setup during race (TC, tyre type, BBias, even Aero) mostly due to changing weather so that's not really working for me.
Until that's fixed, I'm using a shortcut to underclock/undervolt the GPU to the limit and leave the machine in pause mode. Sub-optimal but working (and of course a valid workaround for any sim).

My ultimate goal is to be the first to use S397's bug reporting portal once open to public:)

Thanks a lot for the workaround! When I discovered the issue I tried just that - but (as we are talking about looong races) I often came to the situation where I changed the setup during race (TC, tyre type, BBias, even Aero) mostly due to changing weather so that's not really working for me.
Until that's fixed, I'm using a shortcut to underclock/undervolt the GPU to the limit and leave the machine in pause mode. Sub-optimal but working (and of course a valid workaround for any sim).

My ultimate goal is to be the first to use S397's bug reporting portal once open to public:)

Just in case somebody wants to try: I also experimented with Windows Standby mode (where the machine state is saved to SSD). Worked but was unstable (meaning rf2 as well as EVERY OTHER sim I tried worked 80% of the time, the machine was "woken up" afterwards).
Just to proof I'm not afraid of any sick workaround:)

Then we wouldn't of got DX11, VR, Graphical Improvements and other areas of the Sim that have clearly advanced. You seem to be failing in understanding that it's not your Sim to get what you want but S397s Sim to do what they want and progress with it how they see fit, by all means repeat yourself every month but that's not going to solve anything and as I said it's pointless.

As the mods have said start a new thread with your personal grievances, don't trash talk every single Road Map thread with the same repetitive nonsense.
I'm calling BS on that one. The things you've mentioned are of course great features, but should've been addressed after the core functionality was working properly. It's like buying super-cool alloy wheels for a car when the engine is broken.
Sure, S397 have the right do as they please with the sim, but, as a long-time user. I also have the right to say what I think could be better, I'm not demanding anything, just expressing my opinion.
You don't have to read it, if you don't like, just move on.
I've never been abusive or rude in any way, I always try and write in a way that nobody is offended by.
Maybe it would help if they communicated with their user base more: their dedicated forum is a read only forum, I've never seen any meaningful communication there. and it seems that Marcel never takes part in the discussion here on RD at all. Why? Good question...
And the dedicated forum on discord is not really helpful at all, I don't do discord any more as it's pointless for asking anything meaningful at all. If I'd asked all the questions about my criticisms posted here, either you get no answer, or a shitstorm from the fanboyz. There are some people over there that seem to have the attention span of a house fly, but I digress.
I'm a grumpy old man of 67, and I can find fault in anything if I'm so inclined ( which I almost never am ),
but I feel that, in this case, my criticisms are justified :)

Well I'm an even older and grumpier man, throw in trying to keep this thread on track (so to speak) doesn't contribute to reducing my grumpyness.
So once again you've made your points in the thread so let's leave it at that and let the youngsters get back on topic.
Point taken :thumbsup: I'm even grumpier than usual at the moment: I stupidly broke the PCB on my pedals on Monday, and now I'm waiting on replacement parts from Heusinkveld and can't drive at all :(

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 206 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.7%
  • < 5 years