rFactor 2 | February Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have released their Development Roadmap for February, looking closer at the latest tweaks and improvements that have are being carried out by the studio in recent days.

Keeping up the tradition of monthly community updates about the latest developments in the world of rFactor 2, Studio 397 recently published their latest roadmap posting and gave some interesting insights into the future development direction of the simulation - as well as confirmation that the Diriyah E-Prix circuit will be added to the software as paid DLC later this week.

rF2-Indy-Update-4.jpg

In the roadmap post, the Studio shared with the community the latest development bugs they have been reviewed back at base, with some nice insights into the next round of updates that will be deployed to the simulation in the near furure:

"As we detailed in the last Development Roadmap back at the end of January, a lot of the attention from our development team continues to be focused on addressing a number of the identified and existing bugs within the simulation, with extra attention having been spent in recent weeks verifying and analysing a wide variety of different aspects of the software that can be fixed in the short, medium and long term development of rFactor 2. In an effort to ensure we deploy our resources in a sensible and structured way, we have gone to great lengths to understand where we can make the most impact on the highest number of important fixes within the sim, whilst keeping a close eye on the potential effects this might bring into the codebase within the software. When working on a piece of software as complex as rFactor 2, it is often the case that one change within the development code has unintended consequences elsewhere, and what initially felt like it would be a relatively straight forward change ends up eating into considerable amounts of time that we have budgeted for the fixes, which in turn can have an impact on how many issues we can address in a given timeframe.

In order to facilitate our ongoing development process, we have taken the decision to have a closer look at the underlying code within rFactor 2, and how various pieces of the software depend on other aspects of the code, and what these functions aim to achieve in how rFactor 2 operates behind the scenes. This is proving to be a fruitful exercise, and many fixes and improvements have already been identified and resolved by the development team – which helps put us in a stronger position moving forward. The downside to this is a lot of our resource has been applied to fixing areas of the software that will perhaps not manifest themselves as noticeable changes to the public, but they have certainly been required in order to give us the stable base on which we need to keep pushing forward, and start bringing together those big ticket changes that really uplift the user experience for our players.

Earlier this month we deployed a new build update to the ‘Release Candidate’ branch of Steam (more on RC builds below) that contained the first round of tweaks and improvements we have been working on. So far, we have received a positive reaction to this build, and community feedback suggests we are very close to putting these fixes into the main public branch of the software. The benefit we’ve found in having a release candidate branch has been significant, as it allows us to gauge the reaction of our community and identify if any issues become apparent that did not show themselves during our internal testing, whilst still offering players the opportunity to stick with the main stable branch of the software if they so choose. We are pleased with how this is working initially, and will continue to adopt this development strategy for the foreseeable future"

roadmap_2021_02_01.jpg

Another positive benefit of having a Release Candidate branch for our new update is it allows us to split development focus between closing up any outstanding issues on the RC build that may appear, whilst simultaneously continuing to advance the process of creating our next build – something that is well underway at the Studio and should be very, very close to being deployed to the RC branch once we’ve moved the current changes into the public version of the software. Oh and yes, wheel and pedal inputs will return for the next update…!".

In other good news for fans of the title that have been keen to see the studio address some of the long standing issues with the simulation, studio 397 have also confirmed they have addressed several areas of user interest for an upcoming build release, that should be deployed as 'release candidate' in the near future.

Of that new build, the studio had the following to say about the upcoming new build:

"Related to content, we fixed a CTD when you tried to launch with a series selected that was uninstalled, we made sure there are no ways anymore to select upgrades that were different from the ones the server forced, and we addressed an issue where sometimes when you tried joining a server you would end up selecting cars from the wrong list. Finally, we have extended the logging to include more details about the content that’s being loaded.

Fixed issues with the UI sometimes running at an insane framerate. In the options screen, if you would change FFB settings, they would not register until you go on the track for the second time. The session settings screen saw a bunch of fixes, most of them related to making sure settings get reset at the proper time, such as when changing tracks or series. In the package management screen, we fixed a sometimes not working refresh button. Favorites are also refreshed if you add new ones from the full server list and finally the garage screen now also shows wheel loads.

In the graphics department, after discovering, in testing, some graphical glitches in the skies, included those in the permanent fixes we did that would also sometimes cause the car bodies to glitch and “blow up”. We removed the faint boundaries you would see in VR when looking at the edges of the UI. Last but not least we fixed an issue where secondary wet weather reflections would not show up on damp road surfaces.

Added driver and car info displays to the full screen replay. This includes inputs like steering, brake, clutch and throttle and a g-force circle graph. On top of that we also now always display the correct driver before and after driver swaps. In a race session we now show the time remaining in a session. The message centre now consistently shows the same naming and numbering for values as the garage when changing settings such as ABS and TC while driving."

Other notable mentions in the roadmap is confirmation that the Diriyah E-Prix will be arriving this week, plus another circuit that later this month that has yet to be revealed.

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now, exclusively on PC.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest and greatest news, chat and speculation about the rFactor 2 racing simulation.

rF2_RCCO_15.jpg

Last edited:
I really appreciate the formula E contend... a proper sim implementation of the series, something that's not present in the F1 series.

More DLC?, keep them coming reasonable priced and I'll keep buying and supporting the sim.

And lastly is nice that S397 have in the outlook fixing the physics of the game; and working from the ground up to address those issues.

Any news regarding oval racing?, I hope S397 revisit this racing format sometime in the near future, drop a few LS tracks and add some additional contend for it, as racing rules... also some dirt driving... and basic rally stage handling... one could only dream :D.
Nascar racing on ovals is sort of like a side project for one of the members (I assume he's part of S397) and he was recently looking for modders to work on ovals. So even though it was NOT mentioned in the Road Map, it does appear work is being attempted.

That didn't take long - 2nd post and somebody can't wait to tell everybody that they don't have rF2 on their HD. What does this have to do with the roadmap?

What does the fact that you can't play or enjoy a game you've spend about 200 euros on have to do with an announcement of what's to come? Let's see.. Everything? Like, FIX THE GAME for everyone before you carry on?

This game, with graphics that aren't even on par with Assetto Corsa's today (a 2014 game), but which apparently uses the latest bells and whistles, is the worst behaving game in my sim collection, and this after multiple installs, file checks, time spent (wasted) on S397 forums. I have it since it came out, basically. It never worked right from me, as much as I tried to look the other way and see the silver lining. Stutters have been there since day one, taking forever to load a map, and just the overall feeling of a continuous beta. I went from giving posts about rf2 a heart to not caring, simply. And I did care enough to support the team by buying almost all their overpriced dlcs. Bothered to write this just for a little perspective you find plenty of on the official forums.

What does the fact that you can't play or enjoy a game you've spend about 200 euros on have to do with an announcement of what's to come? Let's see.. Everything? Like, FIX THE GAME for everyone before you carry on?

This game, with graphics that aren't even on par with Assetto Corsa's today (a 2014 game), but which apparently uses the latest bells and whistles, is the worst behaving game in my sim collection, and this after multiple installs, file checks, time spent (wasted) on S397 forums. I have it since it came out, basically. It never worked right from me, as much as I tried to look the other way and see the silver lining. Stutters have been there since day one, taking forever to load a map, and just the overall feeling of a continuous beta. I went from giving posts about rf2 a heart to not caring, simply. And I did care enough to support the team by buying almost all their overpriced dlcs. Bothered to write this just for a little perspective you find plenty of on the official forums.
There is one little issue with your analogy. You imply that the game has to be fixed for everyone. It might surprise you but there are people who don't have your issues or any issues at all for whom the game is a plug and play experience for the most part. I have been one of those people, for whom rF2 certainly hasn't been more of an issue than the bunch of other products out there. It's funny that you mention AC, because there are a few things that I find completely off putting that will never be fixed because Kunos just abandoned the game. The vanilla graphics are one of issue btw, thatswhy I use CSP to get it anywhere near rF2 graphics quality, sharpness and performance. Do you see me joining Kunos related threads everytime I have a chance to tell them that they should finaly fix their f*cking AI all and for once? For everyone? No, because I understand that it isn't a five minute job and that software development has it's own issues with the wide variety of software and hardware specs, some issues even mentioned here in that roadmap infront of our face. So what's your point actually? That you bought overpriced DLCs? Who in gods name forced you to do that?

Lovely nice long read that, very good that things are moving swiftly in the "fixer upper" areas, just hope pace picks up for the <cough AI issues </cough> ;). Unsure what the new track might be, hopefully not another well known "it's in every other Sim and iconic" nonsense but a track that is actually lesser known.

I like Roadmaps with more detail, Asobo release Weekly "Blogs" for MSF2020 and they're dreadful...utterly dreadful, so it's refreshing to read much more from Developers that have a clue on what they're actually doing like S397 & Reiza for example.

Did you actually bother to read the Article? It's all about fixing core issues of which the public have been crying out for for years and how they're going to go about it, less moaning more reading!
Let's stay honest here, and analyse what they actually, specifically, said about bug fixes. Which bugs? The can't remember the video card settings from one session to another bug? The FCY bug? The no proper clutch and transmission bug? The glacial loading times bug? The every time you change settings, or want to change cars, you have to reload everything again bug? The often really frustrating AI bug? The content management system and the messy and frustrating workshop mess?
Most of these bugs, plus a few more that escape me at the moment, have been there for YEARS, and don't belong in a sim that a advertises itself primarily as an serious endurance sim, and is really more sim than game. RF2 users are for the most part not interested in bling bling eye candy as such, they just want to drive as realistically as possible, and it'd be nice if they could at least get the core functionality to work properly.
If they would really fix all these bugs, instead of offering an endless stream of more-or-less finished DLCs (every one of which I have bought BTW, (except for the eSport Formula Vacuum cleaner stuff), their existing user base would be over the moon, and new users would be more inclined to stay with rF2 instead of giving up in frustration, after trying to get their head around some of rF2s "quirks and features"
On the other hand, the FF, physics and tyre model are industry standard, when you've managed to get everything loaded at last.
It could be so good, with a little bit of attention to detail, and polishing the rough edges.
There is a Russian saying that goes something like
" hope is the last thing to die "
You never know.....

Last edited:
Don't know what all you guys are doing right, but here on my end the thing just works. I don't see all this frustrating stuff you write about so maybe I'm doing something wrong here.
Me too: stable as a rock, apart from some "quirks and features" concerning the never ending story that is the "new" UI, but they're getting that sorted out gradually, when at a glacial pace. But otherwise it just runs, haven't had a CTD for literally years. The key to stability is good hardware, realistic overclocking, and an efficient cooling system.

Lovely nice long read that, very good that things are moving swiftly in the "fixer upper" areas, just hope pace picks up for the <cough AI issues </cough> ;). Unsure what the new track might be, hopefully not another well known "it's in every other Sim and iconic" nonsense but a track that is actually lesser known.

I like Roadmaps with more detail, Asobo release Weekly "Blogs" for MSF2020 and they're dreadful...utterly dreadful, so it's refreshing to read much more from Developers that have a clue on what they're actually doing like S397 & Reiza for example.

Did you actually bother to read the Article? It's all about fixing core issues of which the public have been crying out for for years and how they're going to go about it, less moaning more reading!

I see your posts on MSFS forum. You seem to have a quite a double standard of giving s397 and Rieza a big clean pass when it comes to either breaking things that used to work or leaving outstanding bugs remaining update after update whereas Asobo you give a good bit of schtick to. To be fair, nine times out of 10 these Dev Roadmaps contain nothing of note. This is the exception and a very welcome change to their approach long overdue if you ask me.

I am fully supportive of the criticism you have for Asobo BTW. The latest flaps fiasco was a joke, but I really dont understand why you see s397 and Rieza not doing similar things?

I see the RC in steam Betas tab. No idea how to find out whats actually in them mind you. Anyone care to elaborate on where that info is posted?

Edit: I toned down my statement because it sounded like I had no regard for MarcG opinion which could not be further from the truth. One of the few guys around here who more often than not, makes perfect sense.. probably much more so than myself. :)

Last edited:
People that complain everyday need to reassess their hobby !

They are meant to be fun if you honestly feel these ways why would you persist and waste your time in here is beyond me !

You say rF2 needs faster loading and a proper transmission

I say all other sims need resume race and ability to swap cars in garage

I don't go in AMS2 and ACC threads whining about it day after day after day, that is the difference

People that complain everyday need to reassess their hobby !

They are meant to be fun if you honestly feel these ways why would you persist and waste your time in here is beyond me !

You say rF2 needs faster loading and a proper transmission

I say all other sims need resume race and ability to swap cars in garage

I don't go in AMS2 and ACC threads whining about it day after day after day, that is the difference

Could you tell me how to switch cars in the garage? I've never found this option.

For anyone in VR, has the UI line been fixed already? I still see it so I'm not sure if there's something I should be doing...

Could you tell me how to switch cars in the garage? I've never found this option.

For anyone in VR, has the UI line been fixed already? I still see it so I'm not sure if there's something I should be doing...
If there is an option to switch cars in the garage I've never seen it. But I've only been using rF2 since it was released, it's possible that I've missed it all these years.

If you read the OP it says that this will be in a build release coming soon.

" an upcoming build release, that should be deployed as 'release candidate' in the near future. "

I know, it's a bit like "I'll believe it when I see it", but I'm gonna give them the benefit this time. They seem to me like they realise they really need to start fixing some bugs. Let's see. :)

Last edited:

I call it offline online
Basically it's start a private dedicated server and join it
May sound like drama but it's not and you get no lag or anything else
You can then change cars, track order or layouts without leaving session

It works 101% :coffee:

Let's say you want to test all the new BOP GT3
Normal way you restart and reload a track 13 times
My way you load track once
The other thing is you get to keep all the laptimes for all the cars in session

You can also resume that session anytime lol lol

btw you don't have to forward ports like normal online room either

Last edited:
Interesting read on new and possibly better ways for S397 to improve RF2 for all of us to enjoy. Sounds positive to me.
Just the fact that S397 is willing to change the ways they are trying to make their software better demonstrate engagement in the future of their title and an acknowledgement that something needed to be done.
RF2 has a lot to offer for anyone with an interest in racing simulation, even if in its present form, it makes it difficult to enjoy sometimes.
Any improvements are good to take. We should all be grateful to S397 for allowing access to a quality product and for the efforts they are going to deploy to help us enjoy it more.

I call it offline online
Basically it's start a private dedicated server and join it
May sound like drama but it's not and you get no lag or anything else
You can then change cars, track order or layouts without leaving session

It works 101% :coffee:

Let's say you want to test all the new BOP GT3
Normal way you restart and reload a track 13 times
My way you load track once
The other thing is you get to keep all the laptimes for all the cars in session

You can also resume that session anytime lol lol

btw you don't have to forward ports like normal online room either

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

When I first installed rF2 (back in 2013), I had mad stutters that would simply not go away. Upgraded my hardware and suddenly it ran without a hiccup! I understand the frustrations some encounter.

The way they used to handle releases was to post a new build (~300mb) on their website, which you could install without touching your installed content (2 minute download, 2 minute install). Once they moved their distribution entirely to Steam, you have to (please correct me if I'm wrong) delete all your content and re-download all the ISI - er, s397 content. That's a very long process for what sometimes doesn't work properly. Before I used to look forward to new builds, now I'm suspicious of them.

s397, I think, is doing excellent work for this sim, but the way that Steam handles the content is, for me, exhausting. If I have a build that works, I'd sooner not change anything than take the chance of having to rollback to a previous build (a process that may take 5 hours, instead of the 10 minutes it used to take).

I've tediously unsubscribed from all the content I don't want, but that just gets reset on a new install. Scrolling through pages of workshop items is no fun. Also don't like iRacing's new UI compared to their web interface, but that's clearly off topic.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back