rFactor 2: February Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Roadmap February.jpg

Sorry for the late posting... welcome to the rFactor 2 Development Roadmap for the month of February.

As is the monthly tradition of Studio 397, a new roadmap blog posting has been released that details some of the good stuff going on behind the scenes with the development of rFactor 2. For this month, the new roadmap includes updates on the development of the laserscanned Nordschleife that will be coming to the sim in future, some further news of the Reiza Bundle DLC, confirmation that Formula E Gen2 and Dallara cars are close to release and some rather cool news about graphical improvements that are in the works. Pretty big update this month then...

rFactor 2 February Roadmap:

It’s the time of the year where the sun starts greeting us more often during the day. The first roar and rumble of the rare species of racecars can be heard close to racetracks all around Europe as everybody is waking up from their winter dreams. Everyone involved in motorsport is eagerly waiting for tracks to dry out, engines to fire up and for the sun to shine on their careers as they are encouraged by early test results. It´s not just heating up in Europe or in the hearts of motorsport enthusiasts, but also in our studio and offices, as slowly some of the newly developed features and content for our beloved rFactor 2 are starting to take shape. Last year at Simracing Expo many people already said that 2019 would be an exciting year for this simulation and yes, that will absolutely be the case! Over the last months we announced many cool things, but that´s not all of it for 2019. We won´t reveal everything just yet, though! Nevertheless, buckle up in your seats as February is coming to an end. And as the snow is melting on the northern hemisphere, the new roadmap appears!

GFX Updates
With the new PBR based system in place for car bodies, we are shifting attention to cockpits now. We are taking this opportunity to not just create better looking materials, but also to improve how reflections and shadows work in the cockpit. It’s still early days, but the first rough prototypes are looking promising. We are also finalizing the guidelines for modders, which is taking us a bit longer than expected, but we are committed to getting those out soon. In parallel we have also been working on a few more fixes to our GT cars as reported by various community members and we have optimized LODs on some cars that will help to make them look better as well as perform better at lower levels of detail, allowing you to use more visible cars on lower-end systems and still end up with a great looking image.

Competition
Work continues as planned, with both integrating the competition system into the UI and also work in the backend. We are adding plugable standings, which will allow competitions to choose from a great variety of ways of scoring results. At the same time, as we are running more competitions internally, we are learning a lot and adding features to improve the stability and robustness of the whole system. March 23rd will see our first real endurance event, the 12 hours of Sebring. This race will feature several well-known names within the simracing community, such as YouTuber Jimmy Broadbent, Team Redline, Fernando Alonso Racing by Logitech G, McLaren Shadow and Williams eSports. These teams and others will also be racing along side our qualifiers from the prelude earlier in February. You still have a chance to race, make sure you enter our qualifier for this round! As one of the most prestigious races of the year, there will be a fantastic range of a prizes totalling over 5,000 euros!! More details are available on our forum.

Content
The Nürburgring is obviously a huge project and for the first couple of months in such projects we don’t have much visible progress as we transform all the data into a detailed and accurate road mesh and working our way outwards, to curbs, grass, barriers and terrain with track-side objects. We’re now in the middle of modelling the curbs and we can share some of the early wireframes of parts of the track. I’m sure most of you will instantly recognize these areas of the track.
rF2 Nurburgring b.jpg
rF2 Nurburgring c.jpg
rF2 Nurburgring d.jpg
rF2 Nurburgring a.jpg

The Reiza pack is another piece of content that we’ve been talking about for quite some time now. It’s really close now, we promise, and you might have seen Reiza Studios announcing that Imola will be part of this pack. We have more exciting news! Virginia International Raceway will also be included and to whet your appetite, we’ve included some very nice screenshots of the track.

HERE

Both the Tatuus cars and Formula E Gen 2 are almost ready to release. For the latter we are currently implementing a more advanced brake-by-wire system that matches the system on the real car, leading to more accurate regeneration and rear brake temperatures. We are also testing the last big planned update of Zandvoort, where we focus on optimizations as well as add the latest buildings on and around the track. The Dutch are still hopeful that F1 will visit the track again in the future, and in the mean time our virtual version has the advantage that it can host many and loud race cars every day!

That concludes the roadmap for the shortest month of the year. We hope to see all of you on track soon!

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Rf2 has been my go to sim since I picked it up a month or two ago. I can live with the game having a bit of a construction yard feel to it, due to the mix of old dated stuff and the new content which is added, just because the driving experience is so fantastic. Nice that S397 is reviving what seemed like abandonware and I'm looking forward to what's coming in 2019.

Will the new UI include offline Championships?
Nowadays I play Automobilista. I love its AI and I enjoy playing championships. For online sometimes ( for 3 months subscriptions ) I play Iracing.
But my first option is playing offline, and Rfactor2 would be my choice if... I could play series championships as in Automobilista. Any day we will see them in Rfactor2. Or I'm just the only one that would love this game option?

They cant bring themselves to say "UI is in its final testing stages" they have only used it 19 times to be fair, cmon guys whats the crack with it did u give up? I wanna play it but im just not getting used the that archaic interface. Calling content manager - please do one for RF2
If ever a game needs something like Content Manager, it's this one

Will the new UI include offline Championships?
Nowadays I play Automobilista. I love its AI and I enjoy playing championships. For online sometimes ( for 3 months subscriptions ) I play Iracing.
But my first option is playing offline, and Rfactor2 would be my choice if... I could play series championships as in Automobilista. Any day we will see them in Rfactor2. Or I'm just the only one that would love this game option?

For now you need to pick this up Charles

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....ffline-and-league-championship-manager.48117/

You can run championships to your hearts content then, works in Automobilista too and will make your AMS championships way better with a host of iracing stats and beyond - really quite a game changer for rF2 and AMS. Another thing to do with rF2 is to make yourself a mod for a championship you wish to run using the in game MAS utility, that streamlines the experience too

View attachment 294494
Sorry for the late posting... welcome to the rFactor 2 Development Roadmap for the month of February.

As is the monthly tradition of Studio 397, a new roadmap blog posting has been released that details some of the good stuff going on behind the scenes with the development of rFactor 2. For this month, the new roadmap includes updates on the development of the laserscanned Nordschleife that will be coming to the sim in future, some further news of the Reiza Bundle DLC, confirmation that Formula E Gen2 and Dallara cars are close to release and some rather cool news about graphical improvements that are in the works. Pretty big update this month then...

It’s the time of the year where the sun starts greeting us more often during the day. The first roar and rumble of the rare species of racecars can be heard close to racetracks all around Europe as everybody is waking up from their winter dreams. Everyone involved in motorsport is eagerly waiting for tracks to dry out, engines to fire up and for the sun to shine on their careers as they are encouraged by early test results. It´s not just heating up in Europe or in the hearts of motorsport enthusiasts, but also in our studio and offices, as slowly some of the newly developed features and content for our beloved rFactor 2 are starting to take shape. Last year at Simracing Expo many people already said that 2019 would be an exciting year for this simulation and yes, that will absolutely be the case! Over the last months we announced many cool things, but that´s not all of it for 2019. We won´t reveal everything just yet, though! Nevertheless, buckle up in your seats as February is coming to an end. And as the snow is melting on the northern hemisphere, the new roadmap appears!

GFX Updates
With the new PBR based system in place for car bodies, we are shifting attention to cockpits now. We are taking this opportunity to not just create better looking materials, but also to improve how reflections and shadows work in the cockpit. It’s still early days, but the first rough prototypes are looking promising. We are also finalizing the guidelines for modders, which is taking us a bit longer than expected, but we are committed to getting those out soon. In parallel we have also been working on a few more fixes to our GT cars as reported by various community members and we have optimized LODs on some cars that will help to make them look better as well as perform better at lower levels of detail, allowing you to use more visible cars on lower-end systems and still end up with a great looking image.

Competition
Work continues as planned, with both integrating the competition system into the UI and also work in the backend. We are adding plugable standings, which will allow competitions to choose from a great variety of ways of scoring results. At the same time, as we are running more competitions internally, we are learning a lot and adding features to improve the stability and robustness of the whole system. March 23rd will see our first real endurance event, the 12 hours of Sebring. This race will feature several well-known names within the simracing community, such as YouTuber Jimmy Broadbent, Team Redline, Fernando Alonso Racing by Logitech G, McLaren Shadow and Williams eSports. These teams and others will also be racing along side our qualifiers from the prelude earlier in February. You still have a chance to race, make sure you enter our qualifier for this round! As one of the most prestigious races of the year, there will be a fantastic range of a prizes totalling over 5,000 euros!! More details are available on our forum.

Content
The Nürburgring is obviously a huge project and for the first couple of months in such projects we don’t have much visible progress as we transform all the data into a detailed and accurate road mesh and working our way outwards, to curbs, grass, barriers and terrain with track-side objects. We’re now in the middle of modelling the curbs and we can share some of the early wireframes of parts of the track. I’m sure most of you will instantly recognize these areas of the track.
View attachment 294490 View attachment 294491 View attachment 294492 View attachment 294493

The Reiza pack is another piece of content that we’ve been talking about for quite some time now. It’s really close now, we promise, and you might have seen Reiza Studios announcing that Imola will be part of this pack. We have more exciting news! Virginia International Raceway will also be included and to whet your appetite, we’ve included some very nice screenshots of the track.

HERE

Both the Tatuus cars and Formula E Gen 2 are almost ready to release. For the latter we are currently implementing a more advanced brake-by-wire system that matches the system on the real car, leading to more accurate regeneration and rear brake temperatures. We are also testing the last big planned update of Zandvoort, where we focus on optimizations as well as add the latest buildings on and around the track. The Dutch are still hopeful that F1 will visit the track again in the future, and in the mean time our virtual version has the advantage that it can host many and loud race cars every day!

That concludes the roadmap for the shortest month of the year. We hope to see all of you on track soon!

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

View attachment 294494

GFX Updates

Competition

Content
View attachment 294490 View attachment 294491 View attachment 294492 View attachment 294493

HERE

OK so after your UPDATE - F1 1975 refuse to load a single car in TUNING or when going to RACE ???

Is this going to be the future of rF2 - each time an up date comes along, something already bought and paid for crash into oblivian-

The famous gMotor Error message (2 of them - too fast to see what they are) now tells me there is some graphics mismatch of sorts - ???

WTF

Since returning to RF2 after a long break from the sim , I was impressed at all the improvements and upgrades this sim has received in the last 15 months or so. RF2 is "IMO" one of the top 3 of racing sims again. Looks good, feels good, and sounds good, however.....
As a dedicated VR sim racer, again "IMO", what this Sim really needs is a "world scale adjuster". ( Like RRE and PC2 have). The in car view looks odd in VR. Everything is too small and narrow.
Perhaps there is a way to correct this scaling issue, but i have had no luck finding a current solution.
Thanks for the updates Studio 397, I appreciate your work.

I have the same problem with world scale in VR and have already post thred on S397 forum. Please everybody that have this problem write a reply on forum
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/vr-world-scale-adjustment.62002/

OK so after your UPDATE - F1 1975 refuse to load a single car in TUNING or when going to RACE ???

Is this going to be the future of rF2 - each time an up date comes along, something already bought and paid for crash into oblivian-

The famous gMotor Error message (2 of them - too fast to see what they are) now tells me there is some graphics mismatch of sorts - ???

WTF

FYI, F1 1975 is not official ISI/S397 content. :rolleyes: How much did you pay for F1 1975 ? Did you donate to Postipate and ChiefWiggim ? :unsure:
https://forum.studio-397.com/index....te-and-chief-wiggum.54192/page-17#post-970491

:O_o:

Ari Antero - again a response that solves nothing - I KNOW F1 1975 is not official content and I did not pay for F1 1975 - BUT I did pay for rF2 and would expect that after and "upgrade" from rF2 at least ANY software be it official or UNOFFICIAL content would still be working as before. What is the point other wise?
Again it is clear to me that rF2 has no intention to bring about the sort of platform that rF1 was. If this is the case then why call ir rF2, why not find another name for it and remove itself from the OPEN invitation to 3rd party mod builders to do what rF1 did.

Anyway - I would like a SOLUTION not the sort of if and BUT responses I am getting here - it is NOT SOLVING the problem.

Ari Antero - again a response that solves nothing - I KNOW F1 1975 is not official content and I did not pay for F1 1975 - BUT I did pay for rF2 and would expect that after and "upgrade" from rF2 at least ANY software be it official or UNOFFICIAL content would still be working as before. What is the point other wise?
Again it is clear to me that rF2 has no intention to bring about the sort of platform that rF1 was. If this is the case then why call ir rF2, why not find another name for it and remove itself from the OPEN invitation to 3rd party mod builders to do what rF1 did.

Anyway - I would like a SOLUTION not the sort of if and BUT responses I am getting here - it is NOT SOLVING the problem.

This is the game you bought. "Steam : rFactor 2 is also an evolving product, which will be updated and added to for many years, so the list of features will expand!"
It is obvious when rF2 is updated with new build it is up to author to update 3rd party content. If you click link above (#27) you can see that you are not the only one who can not use F1 1975 mod at the moment.
The only solution is to uninsatall F1 1975 mod and wait if Postipate and ChiefWiggum are going to update F1 1975 mod.

Calm down. Modders update their mods when updates come that require it. Not fun for modders perhaps but the sim is evolving and when new better changes are implemented then its awesome if the mods add those. rF2 is in facelift mode right now with things being updated so you have to be aware of it. I have seen mods being updated pretty fast when needed and for me everything has worked as it should.

As usual a massive thanks to all the modders. You make the sim experience even better. :thumbsup:

The problem you're having is not being solved by posting here, unless you try to contact the modders that actually created the content you are trying to run as people tried to point out to you.

We fully intend to bring a platform that is in every way a big improvement over rFactor 1, including the fact that we keep updating it with significant improvements for a lot longer. To refresh your memory (and I had to look this up too) the first rFactor 1 release was done in August of 2005. The last build (v1.255) was released in October of 2007 (I am discarding the migration to Steam as that did not change the build number and mostly contained some fixes necessary for Steam, no new features). Now the first open beta of rFactor 2 was released January 2012 and a year later the first stable release came out. Until today we are still supporting and upgrading the product.

Now your point about remaining backwards compatible is an important one and we generally try to (or explicitly announce when we deprecate and remove old features, such as DX9 support). That said, we have seen cases in the past where certain third party content broke. From experience I can tell you that it's often a bug that in the past "just happened to work". Most mod teams are quite active to support their content too and will generally find and fix these issues (and a lot of them contact us and we try to help).

So basically what you suggesting ?
That the track 3D guy who works very hard I imagine should do what exactly ?
go on holiday to the bahamas for 12-18 months or best yet maybe lets just retire the guy,

so so frustrating and annoying I find that peoples minds just demand or expect updates to engine content new features but the 3D Track and car guys should just sit back and relax until say the engine is completed, very narrow minded way of thinking. but hey its a free world,

developing a game is very hard and very complex work, physics engine, graphical engines, audio,
100000,s of lines of code, but yet everytone expects the development to stop until the code is ready,
maybe mcdonalds should shut the restaurant because they run out of pepsi no and stop selling food ?.
Thats exactly why they need to build it step by step. I know hardcore fans tend to be very defensive of smaller studios. At the same time certain members like track makers would be out scanning tracks or building basic builds. This is not the smallest studio out there, the game has been in works for many years now, the core systems of the game are the most important part.
It seems you didnt get my point

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 93 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 69 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.1%
  • < 5 years