rFactor 2: February Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Roadmap February.jpg

Sorry for the late posting... welcome to the rFactor 2 Development Roadmap for the month of February.

As is the monthly tradition of Studio 397, a new roadmap blog posting has been released that details some of the good stuff going on behind the scenes with the development of rFactor 2. For this month, the new roadmap includes updates on the development of the laserscanned Nordschleife that will be coming to the sim in future, some further news of the Reiza Bundle DLC, confirmation that Formula E Gen2 and Dallara cars are close to release and some rather cool news about graphical improvements that are in the works. Pretty big update this month then...

rFactor 2 February Roadmap:

It’s the time of the year where the sun starts greeting us more often during the day. The first roar and rumble of the rare species of racecars can be heard close to racetracks all around Europe as everybody is waking up from their winter dreams. Everyone involved in motorsport is eagerly waiting for tracks to dry out, engines to fire up and for the sun to shine on their careers as they are encouraged by early test results. It´s not just heating up in Europe or in the hearts of motorsport enthusiasts, but also in our studio and offices, as slowly some of the newly developed features and content for our beloved rFactor 2 are starting to take shape. Last year at Simracing Expo many people already said that 2019 would be an exciting year for this simulation and yes, that will absolutely be the case! Over the last months we announced many cool things, but that´s not all of it for 2019. We won´t reveal everything just yet, though! Nevertheless, buckle up in your seats as February is coming to an end. And as the snow is melting on the northern hemisphere, the new roadmap appears!

GFX Updates
With the new PBR based system in place for car bodies, we are shifting attention to cockpits now. We are taking this opportunity to not just create better looking materials, but also to improve how reflections and shadows work in the cockpit. It’s still early days, but the first rough prototypes are looking promising. We are also finalizing the guidelines for modders, which is taking us a bit longer than expected, but we are committed to getting those out soon. In parallel we have also been working on a few more fixes to our GT cars as reported by various community members and we have optimized LODs on some cars that will help to make them look better as well as perform better at lower levels of detail, allowing you to use more visible cars on lower-end systems and still end up with a great looking image.

Competition
Work continues as planned, with both integrating the competition system into the UI and also work in the backend. We are adding plugable standings, which will allow competitions to choose from a great variety of ways of scoring results. At the same time, as we are running more competitions internally, we are learning a lot and adding features to improve the stability and robustness of the whole system. March 23rd will see our first real endurance event, the 12 hours of Sebring. This race will feature several well-known names within the simracing community, such as YouTuber Jimmy Broadbent, Team Redline, Fernando Alonso Racing by Logitech G, McLaren Shadow and Williams eSports. These teams and others will also be racing along side our qualifiers from the prelude earlier in February. You still have a chance to race, make sure you enter our qualifier for this round! As one of the most prestigious races of the year, there will be a fantastic range of a prizes totalling over 5,000 euros!! More details are available on our forum.

Content
The Nürburgring is obviously a huge project and for the first couple of months in such projects we don’t have much visible progress as we transform all the data into a detailed and accurate road mesh and working our way outwards, to curbs, grass, barriers and terrain with track-side objects. We’re now in the middle of modelling the curbs and we can share some of the early wireframes of parts of the track. I’m sure most of you will instantly recognize these areas of the track.
rF2 Nurburgring b.jpg
rF2 Nurburgring c.jpg
rF2 Nurburgring d.jpg
rF2 Nurburgring a.jpg

The Reiza pack is another piece of content that we’ve been talking about for quite some time now. It’s really close now, we promise, and you might have seen Reiza Studios announcing that Imola will be part of this pack. We have more exciting news! Virginia International Raceway will also be included and to whet your appetite, we’ve included some very nice screenshots of the track.

HERE

Both the Tatuus cars and Formula E Gen 2 are almost ready to release. For the latter we are currently implementing a more advanced brake-by-wire system that matches the system on the real car, leading to more accurate regeneration and rear brake temperatures. We are also testing the last big planned update of Zandvoort, where we focus on optimizations as well as add the latest buildings on and around the track. The Dutch are still hopeful that F1 will visit the track again in the future, and in the mean time our virtual version has the advantage that it can host many and loud race cars every day!

That concludes the roadmap for the shortest month of the year. We hope to see all of you on track soon!

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Since returning to RF2 after a long break from the sim , I was impressed at all the improvements and upgrades this sim has received in the last 15 months or so. RF2 is "IMO" one of the top 3 of racing sims again. Looks good, feels good, and sounds good, however.....
As a dedicated VR sim racer, again "IMO", what this Sim really needs is a "world scale adjuster". ( Like RRE and PC2 have). The in car view looks odd in VR. Everything is too small and narrow.
Perhaps there is a way to correct this scaling issue, but i have had no luck finding a current solution.
Thanks for the updates Studio 397, I appreciate your work.

Last edited:
They cant bring themselves to say "UI is in its final testing stages" they have only used it 19 times to be fair, cmon guys whats the crack with it did u give up? I wanna play it but im just not getting used the that archaic interface. Calling content manager - please do one for RF2

Don't mean to sound ungrateful, I support S397 with all DLC

GFX Updates: When will they do rest of ISI content .like they all 3-5 yrs old

Is there some reason they never used prefix on names and spread them throughout managers

Lots of content Info says ........... Mod Team ........ Your New Mod etc etc

LOOK at WooChoo's info compared to others .........

Fictional 1967-ish Endurance livery set by woochoo for ISI's/S397's Howston G4.
This carset can function standalone, and will not overwrite or remove the ISI/Studio 397 content when installed or uninstalled.

Includes models, textures, sounds, physics by ISI/S397.
Some models, textures, sounds, and physics modified by woochoo.

For non-ISI/S397 elements of this package (liveries, modified assets, and talent file): Re-use of any content is denied unless explicit permission is given by woochoo.
Credit must be given in the readme.txt file primarily, and any other appropriate accompanying documentation.
Conversions require explicit permission from woochoo.
Absence of permission does not imply permission.
Contact woochoo to request permission (semi-active on some sim-racing forums, so send PM).
Contact Studio397 regarding reuse of Howston cars and other ISI/S397 assets.

And S397's Howston .Info:...................

Your new mod...

GT3 DLC Info:

nothing ...

Yes they are little things but important little things to do right not half arsed ;)

I think they should concentrate on finishing the core systems of the game to 100 percent, after that start pumping out quality tracks, i'lll pay for good track pack dlc, big name tracks, former and current f1 tracks, all optimized for single player across variety of racing classes (dont have to be laser scanned) and lastly you start working or car content.

Also introduction of point to point racing, i think games physics would make for some good rally, which in some future could see implementation of road deformation as we see in many games nowdays.

As much as we all enjoy user made tracks the AIW is not always done properly, inconsistent AI across different categories, basically running offline championship is a pain in the ass haha. In saying that effort that people put into making tracks is very much appreciated, like i always say if people asked each other for help more often we would have even better tracks

I don't want CM lol just where there is INFO BOX fill it out properly

BTW there are 2 managers in rfactor2 many miss

imho this is better, you can do anything offline/online where as other manager you need to boot rF2 or run/ swap to offline mod

When I was in my F3 Rookies room I would use Mas2 and modmanager ......al ot of times while driving laps lol

Can't do that with launcher either

Hey I not just blaming S397 ISI also neglected filling in the info boxes
My point was why even put the thing if you not going to use it

Look at Historic info in my screen ..... .. mod team, your new mod, cat:: blank origin: blank
..... wow professional

If AC or CM did such things people would be up in arms

Last edited:
I think they should concentrate on finishing the core systems of the game to 100 percent, after that start pumping out quality tracks, i'lll pay for good track pack dlc, big name tracks, former and current f1 tracks, all optimized for single player across variety of racing classes (dont have to be laser scanned) and lastly you start working or car content.

Also introduction of point to point racing, i think games physics would make for some good rally, which in some future could see implementation of road deformation as we see in many games nowdays.

As much as we all enjoy user made tracks the AIW is not always done properly, inconsistent AI across different categories, basically running offline championship is a pain in the ass haha. In saying that effort that people put into making tracks is very much appreciated, like i always say if people asked each other for help more often we would have even better tracks
So basically what you suggesting ?
That the track 3D guy who works very hard I imagine should do what exactly ?
go on holiday to the bahamas for 12-18 months or best yet maybe lets just retire the guy,

so so frustrating and annoying I find that peoples minds just demand or expect updates to engine content new features but the 3D Track and car guys should just sit back and relax until say the engine is completed, very narrow minded way of thinking. but hey its a free world,

developing a game is very hard and very complex work, physics engine, graphical engines, audio,
100000,s of lines of code, but yet everytone expects the development to stop until the code is ready,
maybe mcdonalds should shut the restaurant because they run out of pepsi no and stop selling food ?.

Last edited:
So basically what you suggesting ?
That the track 3D guy who works very hard I imagine should do what exactly ?
go on holiday to the bahamas for 12-18 months or best yet maybe lets just retire the guy,

so so frustrating and annoying I find that peoples minds just demand or expect updates to engine content new features but the 3D Track and car guys should just sit back and relax until say the engine is completed, very narrow minded way of thinking. but hey its a free world,

developing a game is very hard and very complex work, physics engine, graphical engines, audio,
100000,s of lines of code, but yet everything expects the development to stop until the code is ready,
maybe mcdonalds should shut the resteraunt because they run out of pepsi no and stop selling food ?.
Well said my friend.
Good minding

• Deleted member 637371

Love it when these guys announce some news, it's like a ray of sunshine breaking through the cloud.

It also looks like the money I had planned on spending on Dirt 2.0 is now going on rF2 DLC instead.(Hurrah!).

On the Reiza DLC
- Just hope that the Reiza guys can get their tracks to a similar standard as Sebring, that track has set the bar for me in rF2 now.

Nordschleife - To say I am hyped about the new Nordschleife is a serious understatement...I can barely wait. This is the rF2 highlight of the year for me.

A message to the devs:

I really appreciate your work and commitment to rF2, so thank you Studio 397.

But would you please make a rally Sim?

I would pre-order/crowd fund, or just about anything in my power I could do to support the project, I'm sure many others would too.

You guys would nail it. Please consider it guys, there is a market for a quality Rally Simulator. Only you guys or Kunos can do it.

EDIT - Or maybe the kid who makes Content Manager either, i reckon he could deliver world peace if he wanted...

An rF2 content manager would indeed be cool but to be honest the current UI does everything I need it to, and does not take away from the driving experience.

We all want it but constantly asking about it or refusing to race rF2 until it arrives is kind of like saying no to an Aventador because it's brown.
I'm gonna start by saying rf2 is my favourite sim, there we go that's out the way.

However. Sometimes the UI frustrates the hell out of me. To the point where sometimes I feel like just saying screw it, I'll play something else.

Overall I love the sim but a new UI would be fantastic though .

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 108 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 412 39.9%