rFactor 2 February Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 February Development Roadmap.jpg

Studio 397 release latest roadmap update, share images from the DX11 update and progress on VR and NOLA Motorsports Park.

In the second development roadmap update of 2017 from Studio 397 the team behind the continual development of rFactor have outlined their recent work on the sim, as well as confirming both VR and DX11 are still on schedule for a Q1 release.

Although no actual release date for VR and DX11 outside of the loosely mentioned Q1 2017 has been shared by the developers, it has been confirmed the latest track to join rFactor 2, NOLA Motorsports Park, will make it's official debut on February 28th. As usual with stock Studio 397 content, the new track will download automatically when you next fire up the game in Steam.

You can read the full February 2017 Roadmap Update below:

We have a lot of exciting news in this month’s update as we edge closer to our release at the end of Q1. The team is working very hard in all areas and we’re thrilled to share some of the recent developments with you.

VR Update
With DX11 implementation complete, we are now in our first development stage for VR. Our initial focus is the in-car driver experience with both the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive. The second development stage will delve deeper into the environmental capabilities of the VR experience, which we will share over the next couple of months.

DX11 Content Peek
Last month we shared with you our first comparison shots for DX11. In the last couple of weeks we’ve focused on ensuring compatibility with existing content as well as further improvements to the way we render our HDR output. We’ll let the new screenshots speak for themselves.

rF2 DX9 DX11 Comparison Picture.jpg

rF2 DX11 2.jpg
rF2 DX11 4.jpg
rF2 DX11.jpg

rF2 DX11 3.jpg

Competition Update

Development of the competition infrastructure is going well and is on track to be released this summer. Drivers and teams will be able to record their stats, achievements and results, which then can be accessed through any device and shared with friends. Competitions will feature selected existing content and new content. Details will be announced in the coming months. Our main focus is to create feature rich mechanics that provide a challenge for new drivers and seasoned sim racing veterans alike.

UI Update
We are super excited about our new user interface, which is currently under development. The new UI not only provides a more intuitive and user-friendly experience, it also offers improved flexibility and the ability to add new elements and modules.

rF2 UI Update.png

NOLA Motorsports Park
Whether you choose to race a kart, open wheeler, or tintop, the large variety of configurations makes NOLA a very versatile and challenging track to master. NOLA Motorsports Park will be released on February 28th!

Radio Communication
Most racing series use radio communication to let drivers talk to their team and pit crew. Some series also have race control broadcasting instructions. For example, oval racing series such as Stock Car typically also have spotters that keep an eye on what’s happening to keep you out of trouble.

We are working on expanding our current system, which is centered on the spotter’s role, into a system that allows different people to talk to you on the radio. In addition, we intend to make the communication more interactive by giving you the ability to ask for information or instructions.

Modding
We’re excited to invite modding teams to join our private forum. We are looking to work with those of you in the modding community to explain the necessary steps that ensure your content continues to work flawlessly with the new DX11 engine. Modders joining our forum will also get access to pre-release builds of the DX11 graphics engine (still in alpha). Our goal is to ensure that your content is ready to go when we do the first public release of the new engine.

If your modding team is interested, please register on our forum and start a conversation with Christopher and Marcel, stating:

1. Your modding team name and all the names and forum names of members that need access.
  2. A list of mods you have released for rFactor 2 (either links to the workshop, or some other reference).
  3. Any other interesting information about your team such as mods you are still working on.
That wraps up this roadmap update. We are looking forward to the coming month of development so we can continue to share with you our progress on the new innovative elements planned over the next few months!

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusive to Windows PC.

Additional third party content can be downloaded from a variety of sources, one of which is the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 modding archive. Head over and check out the latest releases for the sim, or alternatively join in the discussion and keep up to date with the latest news at our rFactor 2 sub forum right here at RD. If downloading mods or keeping up to date with the latest news items aren't your thing, you can always sign up to one of our epic Club and League events using the software. We hold regular club racing events in our schedule, however the jewel in our crown in no doubt the RaceDepartment Le Mans Series. This is our premium endurance league using rFactor 2. Head over to the RDLMS forum to find out more!

Did you enjoy the latest roadmap post from Studio 397? Looking forward to DX11 and VR? Do you think NOLA will make a good addition to the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Now that seems to be a decent UI shot, finally. The question is if it will be any more convenient to use than the current one.

To be honest, not sure if there's any need for the DX11 vs DX9 engine shots at all. Personally, I'm not too turned off by the current state of the engine and wouldn't call the DX11 shots a drastic improvement anyway. Well, at least we won't get too hyped about the graphics change.

I hope the loading times will receive a much-needed overhaul. The post-ISI updates turned the already not very well performing rF2 into something else. This is on an SSD and with some 16 GB of RAM to help the things out. Looks like the sim just freezes for minutes before even going to the track loading screen.

TzZyo...i also use a SSD plus 8 GB ram and it's close to instantaneous to the track loading screen!
Is that a fresh installation with very little content added? Maybe I just need to reinstall mine, but since it's an SSD, I'd hate to rewrite dozens of gigabytes back onto it. After all, I see no reason for the software to enumerate through every single piece of content before starting a session when it's already decided which exact pieces will be used during the session in the first place.

To be honest, not sure if there's any need for the DX11 vs DX9 engine shots at all.

I think there is - unfortunately - seeing as most newcomers and vocal groups in the sim racing community solely look at Graphics as the #1 factor when purchasing a new sim. When you get them "in" with fancy new graphics they then realise what they've been missing out on in years in the great physics & FFB that RF2 has always had to offer.

Personally I take Graphics as an added Bonus but it's far from the top of the list of important things, but then others like me are a rare breed and Studio397 need to create hype and interest amongst those who are solely Graphics driven. Especially when they're now up against the already good looking AC, pCars and upcoming GTR3, reel them fans in and they'll stick once they see the underbelly of this great Sim.

As for your loading times, I have an SSD with 8gig RAM and they seem fine after the initial first run. In some cases quicker than AC & RRE tracks :)

Is that a fresh installation with very little content added? Maybe I just need to reinstall mine, but since it's an SSD, I'd hate to rewrite dozens of gigabytes back onto it. After all, I see no reason for the software to enumerate through every single piece of content before starting a session when it's already decided which exact pieces will be used during the session in the first place.

Loading times are only long for the first time you load a certain track as the shaders are build. Every next time you load the track, it's as fast as with any other game, especialy with your hardware it should load in an instant. Very much dependend on track size and detail aswell.

I think there is - unfortunately - seeing as most newcomers and vocal groups in the sim racing community solely look at Graphics as the #1 factor when purchasing a new sim.
Because when you are looking at any game the graphics is the first thing you see, a good presentation matters (except for Tibia lol), no wonder there is a huge investments on making products packing look good even if you'll just open it and never look at it again. But in sim case you'll have screenshots, videos, and people watching a replay. Let's not even mention the rain effects :roflmao:
On my PC rF2 looks like GTR2 with better lighting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Since I just like to race it's not important to me, buf if you want the average Joe to get into it you need to get them first by their eyes, doesn't matter if you tell them you have the most advanced simulation ever if it looks like Mario Kart.
Tho investing on graphics just to get people in and then they'll find no conent or a messed up content can be a shot on your own foot.

Graphics update still seems bland and flat outdated before it's even complete, when you take the new simbin GTR3, projectCARS2, Assetto corsa, and the plans Sector 3 Studio have for Race room. the updates for rFactor 2 will be more dated, not only do they have to improve the visuals to 2017 standard to bring in new users, they have to improve the visuals to get users like me that own this old game, because they say they will be planning on releasing DLC. If this preview is what to expect from their graphics update, don't expect a single penny from me, there is a quality standard in modelled cars and tracks set by Kunos, slightly mad studios and S3S, if rfactor2 cant reach those level of standard set by those developers those that own rfactor2 like me wont be paying for second rate content that you can get for free from rFactorcentral, and converting the rfactorcentral back catalogue isn't going to cut it, we are in 2017, quality modelled content is the key, so far the only improvement that I can see is in the UI, the rest looks like something that should have been inside the game at its very first release. Roll on the end of the first quarter, so that I can really rip into this so called new dx11 graphics engine, because it doesn't look any better than the current race room visuals.

I think there is - unfortunately - seeing as most newcomers and vocal groups in the sim racing community solely look at Graphics as the #1 factor when purchasing a new sim. When you get them "in" with fancy new graphics they then realise what they've been missing out on in years in the great physics & FFB that RF2 has always had to offer.

Personally I take Graphics as an added Bonus but it's far from the top of the list of important things, but then others like me are a rare breed and Studio397 need to create hype and interest amongst those who are solely Graphics driven. Especially when they're now up against the already good looking AC, pCars and upcoming GTR3, reel them fans in and they'll stick once they see the underbelly of this great Sim.

As for your loading times, I have an SSD with 8gig RAM and they seem fine after the initial first run. In some cases quicker than AC & RRE tracks :)
What I meant is that the new graphics is hardly much different to the old one. I really doubt that the change will help to lure in any significant part of the "eye-candy crowd". Spoiled by the screenshots of pC2, they'll only laugh at these attempts. As for us, whatever rF2 will look like, it'll still be rF2, i. e., worth using regardless the graphics, VR support, you name it.

"Good looking AC"? :) I'd take even RBR any time of day over AC, to be honest. Haven't got a clue why people praise AC's graphics so much. Yes, it has some neat effects like scratches on the windshield visible at certain angles to the sun, but in general it looks so unwelcoming and outright dull. Just like their sounds. KS' artistic department doesn't seem to have talent, even though they have all the technology. Not that rF2 fares any better at the moment...

Loading times are only long for the first time you load a certain track as the shaders are build. Every next time you load the track, it's as fast as with any other game, especialy with your hardware it should load in an instant. Very much dependend on track size and detail aswell.
I'm an rF2 user for a long enough time to know that. The problem is, after the recent updates my experience has become much worse. I have to wait forever for tracks to load every single time, and I mostly use the same ones anyway. And I think I saw some other people complaining about this issue too.
I do have a lot of everything installed for rF2, but I didn't have a problem before the thing had the logo changed.

"Good looking AC"? :) I'd take even RBR any time of day over AC, to be honest. Haven't got a clue why people praise AC's graphics so much.
I don't get that either, AC tracks look like gmotor with a ton of post processing. Heck Simraceway Mid Ohio can look better than any track in AC. Their cars tho are very well done, but on track graphics I prefer P CARS more
*Casts anti AC fanboys spawn magic*

Graphics update still seems bland and flat outdated before it's even complete, when you take the new simbin GTR3, projectCARS2, Assetto corsa, and the plans Sector 3 Studio have for Race room. the updates for rFactor 2 will be more dated, not only do they have to improve the visuals to 2017 standard to bring in new users, they have to improve the visuals to get users like me that own this old game, because they say they will be planning on releasing DLC. If this preview is what to expect from their graphics update, don't expect a single penny from me, there is a quality standard in modelled cars and tracks set by Kunos, slightly mad studios and S3S, if rfactor2 cant reach those level of standard set by those developers those that own rfactor2 like me wont be paying for second rate content that you can get for free from rFactorcentral, and converting the rfactorcentral back catalogue isn't going to cut it, we are in 2017, quality modelled content is the key, so far the only improvement that I can see is in the UI, the rest looks like something that should have been inside the game at its very first release. Roll on the end of the first quarter, so that I can really rip into this so called new dx11 graphics engine, because it doesn't look any better than the current race room visuals.
While I agree R3E looks better than these new shots (and sounds better than anything at all, so far), I'd rather be paying for new rF2 content rather than for anything else's you mentioned above, for the exception of probably GTR 3, because, you know... physics :)

While I agree R3E looks better than these new shots (and sounds better than anything at all, so far), I'd rather be paying for new rF2 content rather than for anything else's you mentioned above, for the exception of probably GTR 3, because, you know... physics :)

Physics, Physics, Physics, Physics, Physics I'm a parrot, I'm a parrot, the facts are you cant sell physics to people that dont care about racing games, out of over 400 friends on steam, 84 own assetto corsa, 80 own projectCARS, 67 own Dirt rally, 24 own rfactor2 and 17 own AMS, out of those friends there are only 20 plus hardcore simracers that would have purchased those games, without any input from me, the rest purchased those games because I promoted them in my steam activities, right now I see nothing that S397 they have previewed that will get me to promote rfactor2 to my steam friends.
They have made multiplayer free, and rfactor2 multiplayer is still dead, on joining a multiplayer server you are forced to download stolen ripped content from Kunos, Slightly mad Studio, and even Reiza, no one is hosting servers with default ISI rfactor 2 content, rfactor 2 and AMS, are the least played racing sims on steam period, despite the cries from their fan boys that it has the best physics (oh really), when I checked the steam charts of how many users are playing a game a day ago, BeamNG.drive, had more players playing it than rfactor 2 and AMS put together, so S397 really do need to create more default content for rfactor2, and not sit on their arse and rely on content from competing developers to populate their own title

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 362 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 503 39.0%