rFactor 2 | Dev-Talk: User Experience

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 and more specifically Christopher Elliot and Rene Butler, have released a very interesting new video where they discuss the user experience and new UI functionality within rFactor 2.

Making the most of the current stay at home orders in place pretty much throughout the world, Studio 397 colleagues Christopher Elliot and Rene Butler have used the opportunity to put together a short Q&A style video around the user experience within rFactor 2 - including some interesting insight into the future development direction of current big project underway within the studio.

The HTML based new UI for rFactor 2 has taken on something of a mythical status in sim racing circles. At first, a delayed launch and much hyping led the community into something of a lather about how this seemingly boring aspect of the sim might change the player experience. Since launch, the first pass at the new UI has been met with a mixed reception from the community - but it seems like Studio 397 remain as committed as ever to developing, enhancing and improving the feature to better support ongoing developments within rFactor 2 in the years ahead.

The video is an interesting idea from the team at 397, and well worth 20 minutes of your time to sit down and watch when you get a spare minute...

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively for PC.

Want to learn some of the tricks and tips for getting rF2 to perform how you want it to? No worries, start up a thread in the rF2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and ask our community!

rF2 UI Talk.jpg

I commented on that video and someone suggested trying out the beta UI. Oh dear...

Why is there still a "select series" concept when the only series is rFactor 2? It's a carry over from the ISI days that I thought would be dropped in the new UI.

The default listing type is some kind of category which does not work. Monaca (D'Azur not the FE one) is listed twice in the new UI (version 1.0 & 1.21) where the latter doesn't work. The issue does not occur in the old UI.

And S397 can you PLEASE!!! implement a concept where track and car content is categorised based in where it came from?
For example:
- Stock content (ISI updated + S397)
- workshop content I've paid for (by ISI, Reiza, Karting)
- workshop free content I've subbed to
- third-party mods installed from packages.

A content class system (like PCars2 has) would also be useful but not necessary. Here's the thing, to be able to select content who have to remember what stuff is and if you leave rF2 for a while to play other titles and come back good luck trying to remember which is which.

"An exercise in patience"...that is RF2.
It is fast becoming the 'Live for Speed' Scirocco of simracing.
Folks keep anticipating the release of various fixes...because they see the potential.
On the one hand, we have a good base...good tires, many good features, easy on hardware, etc...
On the other hand...annoying as heck for simple things....difficulty in simply trying to get into a multiplayer race/practice, etc...
Difficulty in deleting content.
I gave up on that one long ago...everything is tied to everything else.
Difficulty in simply trying to figure out what cars are the latest versions of a particular series.
I love the concept of game development over time but their pace in fixing things...(smoke, rain drops, dust...for example) is disappointing.
New cars and tracks on top of less than stellar content developed and released 7 years ago.

I will never get people complain about GT3 just don't go drive them in another sim and be happy :)

What is it about rF2 keeps so many people complaining for so long ?
Maybe you should all look at yourselves and ask that question
Time for some home truths

The majority of happy rF2 users don't read this or even frequent forums

Out of well over 300 drivers I logged in my "F3-Rookies" room and got a lap time recorded for Italy and Belgium, I probably remember about 10 joining, driving, crashing, complaining, and leaving

The rest loved it especially the ones that others and myself trained up

Out of all those drivers only about 30, less then 10% frequented ISI forums reguarly

I was very intriged when i saw that image in the presentation of the youtube video about this "amazing·? interview....

rf2 laughts.PNG

Congrats to Mr S397 guy cuz he had tyranosaurus Rex testicles to accept the meeting in front of the camera, my respect Sir!

I was intriged cuz they were laughing?! About what joke are they laughing i asked myself? About the next porsche gt6 cup they are gonna launch before the UI maybe? I take the car i change this and that and BANG 8 euros!

My impresions about the interview? ...I think as allways the more interesting part of some new or announcement of S397 is the Comments section! So Thanks Racedepartment and Youtube , i allways laught loud when i scroll down, lol

Great video, you dont need to watch it , just the commenting section, just that! -->

Last road map they said they would release a public version of the ui before yesterday's end, no word on that in this road map.
Honestly April's road map seems like Marcel has given up, which I could see coming along time ago.
See its hard to try and improve a game from the ground up, when it's your hobby/second job that you do from home.
I mean not one thing they have claimed has happened on time, and the cars are made by 3rd party modders.
The cash has gone, they have no clue what to do, they have hung in their towels.
Ams2 it is then

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years