rFactor 2 December Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 UI Concept.png

Studio 397, the new developers of rFactor 2, have released their final development roadmap of 2016, and it reveals some interesting content with regards to the future of rFactor 2.

latest roadmap update confirms the studio believe they have found a fix to the often troubling NVidia driver crash issues, and a new build is due to be release in just two days time featuring the driver fix. This is great news for a number of sim racers who have suffered frustrating issues on a selection of circuits worst affected by the driver errors, hopefully this new build addresses those issues and allows a soother experience for the affected players.

Other highlights from the update include news that the DX11 update is making faster progress than initially expected, and the studio have even shared a concept image of the proposed new UI for rFactor 2, designed to offer a more modern image for the title and also preparing the game for the upcoming VR functionality due to be released hopefully alongside DX11.

You can read the full December Development Roadmap release below:

"On Tuesday, December 20th, we will release build 1108. This is our first Steam-only release, and we would like to remind you of our offer to migrate to Steam for free, which will be extended until January 31st, 2017.

To reiterate where we are, we are making really good progress with a new development team coupled with a new vision. As long time sim racers, we understand the need for a strong platform with great content, physics and visuals as well as competition, both online and offline.

A detailed changelog will be posted alongside the actual release, but some of the highlights of this build include a huge update to our Stock Car rules, better support for running Steam in offline mode – which can be very useful in LAN situations and a fix for the nVidia driver bug that has been plaguing some users of certain series of nVidia cards.

Good news! We’re ahead of our DX11 development schedule and are internally testing the first builds now. There is still a lot to do in terms of adding new features such as depth of field and motion blur effects on external cameras as well as overall improvements such as the shadow system. Needless to say, the results so far are looking good. We are really excited about the capability we have already and where it’s going. Our goal to keep the engine backward compatible seems achievable, and in the upcoming months we will start engaging the modding community providing information on the improved engine and how best to utilise it.

As we’ve announced last month, we are completely revamping the user interface of rFactor 2 to make it easier to use, nicer to look at and ready for VR. We’re leveraging modern web technology and are currently in the middle of the design phase. To give you a first impression, we’ve added a screenshot of a WIP car selection screen (see top of article)

Concerning content, we are very excited with the direction we are headed, certainly in the way plan to match cars and tracks. We will start to develop this approach over the next few months.

We have a number of car developments underway. With our current focus on the Radical, we are adding the finishing touches to the 3D model right now while we wait for some additional data to complete the physics model.

More great news! We have just signed a license with General Motors for the 2016 model of the Corvette C7.R. Development of the model and physics will start early next year. The 2016 model has significant aerodynamic improvements with a new, larger splitter and a large diffuser to generate more downforce. The car is the weapon of choice for Corvette Racing in their 2017 IMSA campaign as well as their effort to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans. As an added bonus, this car will also contribute to improving car physics overall.

In terms of tracks, we’ve already shown you previews of NOLA Motorsports Park in earlier updates, and we’re now in the final stages of development. The track will feature 5 different road course layouts and 5 different karting layouts, and we’re currently placing track side objects, such as grand stands, trees and a ferris wheel and are working on AI paths. It’s looking good for release early next year.
rFactor 2 NOLA.jpg

Now let’s talk about online. Since the release of rFactor 2 the pricing consisted of a one time payment and an online subscription, with the option of buying a lifetime version of that subscription. Over the years we have received a lot of questions about charging extra for online access, and what people were getting for this in return.

We understand that online racing is key to the future of the platform. As online racers ourselves, we have decided to provide online access for everybody with the Steam version for free – simplifying the pricing model and encouraging everybody to race online. Steam will take care of automated updates. We recognise that some of you have made this purchase over the past few months, and it was a difficult decision. However, we’re positive that you’ll agree we’ve made the right decision for the future of the platform.

With the Steam Winter Sale approaching what better way for you to relax and driver rFactor 2. Look out for an exclusive offer for the holiday period!

That’s all for our last monthly update of 2016. Happy Simracing and have a great holiday. We hope to see you all in the new year!"

rFactor 2 is a PC only racing simulation developed by Image Space Incorporated and latterly Studio 397. The game is available to purchase now on the Steam Network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to take part in some of the best League and Club Racing events on the internet. Interact with our vibrant rFactor community in our dedicated rFactor 2 sub forum, download mods for the game or share a setup or two for your favourite cars.

Do you like the sound of the latest roadmap? Looking forward to DX11 and VR? Which pieces of content would you like to see added going forward? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I see @Bram's point, and I can't blame him for his legit point of view. But having done multiple online seasons in various cars, I can honestly say the $85 I paid in 2012 was a steal, and I feel like I've gotten way more value than that out of it. 500 hours just since 2016-02-01 when I moved to Steam - I guess that would mean I've done about 2000 hours since 2012 when I first bought it.

The one thing I don't agree with, though, is that it's not complete - and it looks more than adequate to me. Motion blur and all kinds of other artificial camera crap does not impress me - I prefer a more 'real' no-gimmick look, which IMO no sim does better than rFactor 2.

I guess the FSR mods have been better than the ones the majority tend to drive, which means I've had less to complain about than people needing a specific car and never getting it - but that's the way of the modern game. About 70% of my games in my Steam library has less than 5 hours played on it. It doesn't mean that others haven't had many more hours of pleasure on it. Basically, this is a problem applicable to all games.

I've not personally had a lifetime as I race only offline, but this is yet one more point (out of four or five now) where the early supporters are just being told to go eff themselves. It's a shame that the people who put up with a buggy beta to get much needed development money into ISI's chest are the ones that are now being ignored in favor of new sales.
yeh you would want to buy a car and then later because you supported VW or whatever you want the 2nd and 3thr an 4th and so on FOR FREE because you bought the first model .

wining about a few bucks dont want to pay then dont play games

yeh you would want to buy a car and then later because you supported VW or whatever you want the 2nd and 3thr an 4th and so on FOR FREE because you bought the first model .
If you buy a car with lifetime service included and then they start chargin for oil and filters, it's gonna piss you off as well. Noone asked for a new game for free, we're pissed off on being sacked again. Sector just got to the same level as Turn10 in my eyes (VIP pass/season pass/ultimate edition/car pass, but they come up with an extension pass that none of the previous include).

If you buy a car with lifetime service included and then they start chargin for oil and filters, it's gonna piss you off as well. Noone asked for a new game for free, we're pissed off on being sacked again. Sector just got to the same level as Turn10 in my eyes (VIP pass/season pass/ultimate edition/car pass, but they come up with an extension pass that none of the previous include).

Then DELETE it most games costing 70 dollar or euro for 1 year cant understand complainings , company owner changes , change of diplomacy if this makes it even more better then it already is then thats good , DLC you can buy or not your choice if not stay with the free mod cars , they not gonna charge us more $ for online and build updates . If they quit the business then you also lost your few online dollars . ppl make elephants from a mosquito .

Last edited:
I was wondering when the car analogies would show up...

In this case it's more like I backed a Kickstarter for an unknown company to develop an electric sports car, they promise free charging, and years later when the car hasn't really ever done all the performance that's been promised they decide to offer a free but mandatory "upgrade" which turns it into a diesel pickup where I have to pay for my own fuel.

I would also add, I find your grammar and spelling more offensive than your content...

I was wondering when the car analogies would show up...

In this case it's more like I backed a Kickstarter for an unknown company to develop an electric sports car, they promise free charging, and years later when the car hasn't really ever done all the performance that's been promised they decide to offer a free but mandatory "upgrade" which turns it into a diesel pickup where I have to pay for my own fuel.

I would also add, I find your grammar and spelling more offensive than your content...

then you try to write perfect in a language thats not your native language HELMUT cuz the way it looks you think you are the perfect guy

Well I for one would prefer rF2 not die (unless they decide not to update the historic content and build out the already "promised" historic content). Would be interesting to contemplate other legal avenues could have been used to more clearly cut ties with ISI (in addition to losing Tim Wheatley lol). For example, I wonder what the scenario would be where S397 bought the code and rebranded to something other than rF2. That way, rF2 could die along with everyone's expectations and a new software with a clean content and feature expectations could arise and with everyone paying again because rF2 is dead. I would have been fine with that and would mean more money for S397 to save "rF2" with support from "lifers" who would gladly pay again to save their favorite software instead of being mad that their software is being saved.

For example, I wonder what the scenario would be where S397 bought the code and rebranded to something other than rF2.

Quite possibly that would have been the clever solution. Would have left ISI looking like bastards though to stop fixing RF2 and letting it die.

There isn't really a way for the two Dev teams to win here. But it would help if their communication reflected a certain respect towards the customers that paid for A and are now getting B.

I paid for a lifetime license and i got a lifetime license. I cant feel anything wrong, when other user now getting online access with cheaper licenses. I really have problems to understand, why people are complaining about that?

Because the users who paid more for a lifetime sub, in turn, were promised there would be no paid DLC as their bigger price would cover the costs of extending the sim. And paid DLC is obviously in the cards as of next year...

Plans change, partnerships happen, new means of income needed, stuff happens, deal with it!
If you still don't like it fire ISI an e-mail requesting a full refund of your Lifetime license and your reasons for wanting it, should they give it to you then good for you :)

Listen, I know 397 have to make money and I am happy they have taken over the development of RF2, also I have nothing against the online going free to all users(makes sense).
It's just when I bought this lifetime I was under the impression that any future DLC that is produced would be free to lifetime subs.
Hell, if they had said "thanks guys to all you guys that have supported this stagnant product :whistling: what we would like to do is offer a 50% discount on the first DLC pack released to lifetime subs".
I would have said yeah, I suppose that's something....... But to just disregard people that have supported the product, well then so be it......

So as one of the "whiner's" & "tight asses" for having an opinion :rolleyes: I bid you a Merry Christmas ;)

I don't think they have announced any final decision about whether life timers will get any perks. Why is everyone (over-) reacting like this is all finalized? Reiza set a recent precedent. Calm down. And even if there is nothing, caveat emptor.

I have a great story in reverse. I just got ANOTHER payment from my investment in PCars. The sim is such a piece of crap in so many important ways that I never use it. Which is too bad, because I initially (obviously) thought it had a lot of promise. So now that I have recovered all of my investment in PCars plus they have paid me another equivalent amount to the purchase price, I should be all ready to sign-up for PCars 2, no? How could I not, it would be basically free from the "profit" I have made from the original PCars? Nope, instead I will invest in S397 and Reiza products, even though SimBin will be disappointed.

Anyone who thinks racing sims are the equivalent of a carton of eggs--pay an expected amount for a consistent, expected product, is living in a fantasy world. There is risk and reward in all these titles, as there is with every other form of gaming software and entertainment. Would I ever love to get my money back for some movies I wasted admission on...

Last edited:
I have an idea. S397 can release a garbage version and a S397 version with garbage version being same quality as free ISI content and S397 version being not gabage DLC lol

Edit - And only a single garbage version will be released each year.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 295 13.4%