rFactor 2 December Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 UI Concept.png

Studio 397, the new developers of rFactor 2, have released their final development roadmap of 2016, and it reveals some interesting content with regards to the future of rFactor 2.

latest roadmap update confirms the studio believe they have found a fix to the often troubling NVidia driver crash issues, and a new build is due to be release in just two days time featuring the driver fix. This is great news for a number of sim racers who have suffered frustrating issues on a selection of circuits worst affected by the driver errors, hopefully this new build addresses those issues and allows a soother experience for the affected players.

Other highlights from the update include news that the DX11 update is making faster progress than initially expected, and the studio have even shared a concept image of the proposed new UI for rFactor 2, designed to offer a more modern image for the title and also preparing the game for the upcoming VR functionality due to be released hopefully alongside DX11.

You can read the full December Development Roadmap release below:

"On Tuesday, December 20th, we will release build 1108. This is our first Steam-only release, and we would like to remind you of our offer to migrate to Steam for free, which will be extended until January 31st, 2017.

To reiterate where we are, we are making really good progress with a new development team coupled with a new vision. As long time sim racers, we understand the need for a strong platform with great content, physics and visuals as well as competition, both online and offline.

A detailed changelog will be posted alongside the actual release, but some of the highlights of this build include a huge update to our Stock Car rules, better support for running Steam in offline mode – which can be very useful in LAN situations and a fix for the nVidia driver bug that has been plaguing some users of certain series of nVidia cards.

Good news! We’re ahead of our DX11 development schedule and are internally testing the first builds now. There is still a lot to do in terms of adding new features such as depth of field and motion blur effects on external cameras as well as overall improvements such as the shadow system. Needless to say, the results so far are looking good. We are really excited about the capability we have already and where it’s going. Our goal to keep the engine backward compatible seems achievable, and in the upcoming months we will start engaging the modding community providing information on the improved engine and how best to utilise it.

As we’ve announced last month, we are completely revamping the user interface of rFactor 2 to make it easier to use, nicer to look at and ready for VR. We’re leveraging modern web technology and are currently in the middle of the design phase. To give you a first impression, we’ve added a screenshot of a WIP car selection screen (see top of article)

Concerning content, we are very excited with the direction we are headed, certainly in the way plan to match cars and tracks. We will start to develop this approach over the next few months.

We have a number of car developments underway. With our current focus on the Radical, we are adding the finishing touches to the 3D model right now while we wait for some additional data to complete the physics model.

More great news! We have just signed a license with General Motors for the 2016 model of the Corvette C7.R. Development of the model and physics will start early next year. The 2016 model has significant aerodynamic improvements with a new, larger splitter and a large diffuser to generate more downforce. The car is the weapon of choice for Corvette Racing in their 2017 IMSA campaign as well as their effort to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans. As an added bonus, this car will also contribute to improving car physics overall.

In terms of tracks, we’ve already shown you previews of NOLA Motorsports Park in earlier updates, and we’re now in the final stages of development. The track will feature 5 different road course layouts and 5 different karting layouts, and we’re currently placing track side objects, such as grand stands, trees and a ferris wheel and are working on AI paths. It’s looking good for release early next year.
rFactor 2 NOLA.jpg

Now let’s talk about online. Since the release of rFactor 2 the pricing consisted of a one time payment and an online subscription, with the option of buying a lifetime version of that subscription. Over the years we have received a lot of questions about charging extra for online access, and what people were getting for this in return.

We understand that online racing is key to the future of the platform. As online racers ourselves, we have decided to provide online access for everybody with the Steam version for free – simplifying the pricing model and encouraging everybody to race online. Steam will take care of automated updates. We recognise that some of you have made this purchase over the past few months, and it was a difficult decision. However, we’re positive that you’ll agree we’ve made the right decision for the future of the platform.

With the Steam Winter Sale approaching what better way for you to relax and driver rFactor 2. Look out for an exclusive offer for the holiday period!

That’s all for our last monthly update of 2016. Happy Simracing and have a great holiday. We hope to see you all in the new year!"

rFactor 2 is a PC only racing simulation developed by Image Space Incorporated and latterly Studio 397. The game is available to purchase now on the Steam Network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to take part in some of the best League and Club Racing events on the internet. Interact with our vibrant rFactor community in our dedicated rFactor 2 sub forum, download mods for the game or share a setup or two for your favourite cars.

Do you like the sound of the latest roadmap? Looking forward to DX11 and VR? Which pieces of content would you like to see added going forward? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
  • ronniej

Sounds great. Looking forward to see what Studio 397 does with rF2 for sure...I understand how some would be frustrated by this move in regards to the season pass subscribers, but I believe this is a great decision by the new studio, and I hope that the supporters of old can get some sort of bonus for it. At least the change came with a change in studio management, unlike the R3E move where they changed the package pricing recently, while the older supporters paid top dollar for all the content with no change in developers or studio. Or am I mistaken?

The agreement was that you paid extra money in exchange of lifetime online access. From the Steam page:

Tell me now when did they break any agreement... if you say that your investment has less value now, yes, because other people that didn't pay as much will have online access as well, but so what? It's like when products get discounts etc, people can get the same product at lower cost...
Dig a little deeper my friend, the "online access vs DLC" explanation comes directly from ISI. That's how everyone "protesting" against the multiplayer paywall got silenced.

I dont get what you guys are on about?? Am, i missing something?? as a lifer that's what I will get isn't it?? If i paid for a yearly subscription then that's what Id expect , has anyone seen it written that those on yearlies couldn't pay the balance and pick up on liftime, Also no body has said that a balance of what you paid up to the cost of liftime maybe feasible ?? all this bithchin about 80 bucks lol... or way less for many tight arrssesss

And us early supporters are to blame for that?

A good compromise to satisfy those with a lifetime sub is to give us x amount of game codes that we can hand out to a friend. Or something similar. Won't cost 397 anything either. But it will get rid of the bad taste in a lot of mouths.

Some form of compensation needs to happen as now early adopters and fans of the first hour are being rightfully upset
compensation for what , not having to buy yearly subs for the last 4 years?? FFS.. some people,, over what $30 the difference from non online to lifetime on line!!! All Im seeing is people making assumptions with zero proof.

I've not personally had a lifetime as I race only offline, but this is yet one more point (out of four or five now) where the early supporters are just being told to go eff themselves. It's a shame that the people who put up with a buggy beta to get much needed development money into ISI's chest are the ones that are now being ignored in favor of new sales.

It wasn't the users that decided on that business model, neither did anyone really like it. So why are those to be blamed that put their money and trust in a half-baked product that progressed like a sloth, and expected to enjoy it someday as was promised?

That's actually the interesting part that most of the people don't understand and what I mean with responsibility as a customer. The moment you buy something you agree with how the product is distributed and the business plan of the producer or publisher. ISI even gave quite liberal refund options - better as Steam btw - and later on a demo for people to make their mind up. They gave customers the choices on what to buy. Nobody from ISI promised you that you would enjoy the game. That was your expectation. So don't play the victim.

@Helmut Skrdla:
You simply don't understand it, don't you? The removal of the lifetime sub is there to get everyone who allready has rF2 (lifetime or not) into the MP lobby. It's even one of the most critiziced features from the people who allready have the game, yet there are people complaining about it - wink, wink - who don't use the MP on a regular base. Also read my paragraph above. Makes me wonder how some here are able to survive in a capitalistic world. Nobody forces anyone to buy a luxury pruduct like a computer game - early supporter or not.

In my opinion it can be just like a "you guys with lifetime subscription still have lifetime subscription" and "you new buyers and those who bought normal versions will now have lifetime subscription (it's like getting now AC half price for example).

So it's pretty much like it has been heavily discounted, but lifetime subscription will still be lifetime since it's free now...

But I understand the frustration. I see it like that because I bought the non subscription version for 19€ and will now have lifetime online access for free. If I had paid one year ago the lifetime version I will be angry too.

That's actually the interesting part that most of the people don't understand and what I mean with responsibility as a customer. The moment you buy something you agree with how the product is distributed and the business plan of the producer or publisher.

@Helmut Skrdla:
You simply don't understand it, don't you?

I understand very well. I know when I bought into RF2 I agreed with the business plan and the distribution. Which was NOT Steam back then, and the business plan included a bunch of interesting licenses especially for historic European content which never materialized and doesn't seem to materialize anytime soon. Instead we get more US Ovals, No-Name tracks and US Cars.

In fact you are making my own argument: Here we have a company who does not provide what was originally agreed on at date of purchase. Simple as that. Changing the product after sale isn't exactly very endearing or trust-building.

The moment you buy something you agree with how the product is distributed and the business plan of the producer or publisher.
True. I have bought a product with a business model of no paid DLCs, but subscription based multiplayer. In case of a one-sided change, I expect it not to be for the worse of the user.
So don't play the victim.
Do you want to race online? Buy a subscription then! There was no other option, no matter if you aimed for a league or just casual multiplayer. Paid DLC was never on the table, even denied by ISI to be in the future. So who was mislead here?

I've stated before I am glad to see everyone receiving online access. I know that for a sizable number of people with whom I've raced, it's too little too late as they've moved on. The only issue is with what has been brought up already about diluting the Lifetime and DLC purpose.

Some can say they got their money's worth. Some will say they gladly pay twice. Some will not agree with the previous two groups. I haven't gotten my $'s worth of it but I am patient. What would be an issue, which I will not complain until an official announcement is made about paid DLC and the first piece of paid content is announced (if I have to complain at all), is Lifetime not receiving some form of season pass gratitude. That and previously announced licenses - which in my case were the main reason for the purchase ... and am still waiting for any of them - should not be turned into paid content, that would be the biggest consumer disservice of it all. Assetto Corsa, for example, generated large criticism (and fuel to those fans of certain titles) when it went on sale while still under Early Access... however Spa became free DLC at least.

But Studio 397 still has the ability to address all of this, and it may turn out there's nothing to be annoyed about. Just waiting on what will come next from them.

+1...
Your comments describe exactly how I feel about this title.
After paying the initial cost, I renewed my online subscription....twice.
The irony.... lifetime was offered three months after I'd paid for that second subscription.
I was asked by e-mail to consider lifetime. I paid the additional cost and converted (with about five month left on that year's sub.)
Less than three month later, the game got handed off to 397.
Right now I'm just being patient to see where this whole thing is going.

People should realise that the alternative to a paid DLC model is not the old paid online model it is that rF2 would become abandonware, which is what was already happening under ISI. Anyone who follows simracing and paid for lifetime online in the past year or so should really have seen something like this coming.

If you buy rF2 now you get the DX11 update later? No online fee make me interested. Very interested.

this online fee was only 50 dollar or so for lifetime so why ppl moan:cry: about 50 / 60 dollar or even if it was 100 i wud have bought it for lifetime any new BF or Call off .. cost every year or 60 or 80 dollar and is being sold , SO..........................
most ppl want that somebody invest lots off money in a game and expecting it to play for free and even than there are ppl :cry: ,

Listen, I know 397 have to make money and I am happy they have taken over the development of RF2, also I have nothing against the online going free to all users(makes sense).
It's just when I bought this lifetime I was under the impression that any future DLC that is produced would be free to lifetime subs.
Hell, if they had said "thanks guys to all you guys that have supported this stagnant product :whistling: what we would like to do is offer a 50% discount on the first DLC pack released to lifetime subs".
I would have said yeah, I suppose that's something....... But to just disregard people that have supported the product, well then so be it......

So as one of the "whiner's" & "tight asses" for having an opinion :rolleyes: I bid you a Merry Christmas ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back