rFactor 2 Build 880 Released

rfactor2_fr35_2014_01.jpg

Image Space Incorporated has released build 880 for rFactor 2. This includes a new SDK for modding, a new demo installer, graphical and physics updates.

Here's the complete changelog provided by ISI:

"GRAPHICS
Fixed terrain shader specularity issue.
Fixed wet surface reflections.
Lightened up shadows by artificially boosting ambient light level.
Fix problem seeing steering wheel in rear look under certain conditions.
Some code to help with blurry rims.

HUD/ COMMENTARY:
Re-recorded commentary with a MASSIVE volume boost (You might want to adjust your settings)

BUG FIXES / OPTIMIZATIONS:
Fixed auto update bug for expired accounts
Fixed a very minor memory leak.
Several minor stability fixes.
Removed requirement for “_x64″ to be added to 64-bit plugins. It’s no longer a problem because they are in a separate directory. However, it still might be useful to for humans to identify which is which.
Added a new default method for assigning pit/garage spots in multiplayer which keeps them more consistent over a weekend. This new default method can be disabled by changing the multiplayer.json value “Assign Parking” to false (at which point it will revert to using the traditional team-based pit/garage assignments).
Fixed issue where driver body sometimes appears while rear-looking.
Minor fixes to prevent crash when exiting from “rF2 already running” condition
Fixed random black box that appears when hitting ‘`’ key
Dealing with some uninitialized data in old TGMs that is now actually used.

AI:
Smoothed out the corner widening associated with rcd parameter UnderSteerEffectOnLineThreshold trigger as well as with rear grip loss. Made the rate of “corner widening” relative either to the car’s lateral velocity or lateral position relative to current waypoint direction.
Pace cars now look for a path called “PACECAR” to drive, otherwise defaults to fastest path.
Fixed AI tire drag calculation
Slightly better AI bumpstop damping.
Fixed a bug in AI logic that could result in cars taking high speed corners a bit too fast and wide.

PHYSICS:
New tire contact patch code added. It is backwards-compatible (i.e. existing tires should not change behavior, you would need to do more +ttool analysis in order for new functionality to take effect). There are some minor issues that still need to be ironed out.

FEATURES:
Allow replays to run without the correct version of a scene or vehicle, but only after checking for the correct one first.
Lock in demo mod when using creating a new plr file with the +demo CLI parameter set.
Added a new default method for assigning pit/garage spots in multiplayer which keeps them more consistent over a weekend. This new default method can be disabled by changing the multiplayer.json value “Assign Parking” to false (at which point it will revert to using the traditional team-based pit/garage assignments).
Added additional options for the RFM variable ‘FinishUnderCaution’ to allow the finish to be delayed up to 3x. Previous options were off, 1x, or infinite.
Much behind the scenes work on plugin interface for future interface additions

MODDING / PUBLIC DEV:
In the AIW editor, made the Ctrl-Shift(-Alt) keys easier to move the car when paused: 1) it now follows the terrain, and 2) rotating the car with the 4 and 6 numpad keys doesn’t simultaneously rotate the swingman camera.
Modmgr now automatically saves/loads separate profiles for each install.
Added log message and assert if there are no collidable triangles in SCN, which isn’t really handled.
fixes to new pit/garage assignment code
Made new pit/garage assignment work with driver changes (probably needs testing).
dev mode AIW editor fix for moving path on last waypoint of pit lane
TTool: in the Realtime section, removed the somewhat-useless ‘Width’ and added the somewhat-useful ‘Dynamic Unloaded Radius’.
Fixed a possible game freeze using the AIW editor “move & Match” waypoint by waypoint manipulation function.

UI
Moved version numbers for vehicles tree list down to the individual cars instead of the class headers"
Join the discussion in our dedicated rFactor 2 forum, check out awesome screenshots and videos in our rF2 gallery, get racing in our rF2 Racing Club and Leagues and make your game even more awesome with some rFactor 2 mods!

• Deleted member 130869

ISI knows they have HDR exposure issues but they are seemingly in no rush to address a lot of shortcomings. In its core, rFactor 2 is a very strong title but its flaws get so much in the way it is annoying. We currently have quite a few very good sim options - motoracing is the genre with the highest quality of virtual representation - but none of them offer the full package for now... which is annoying.

But back on rF2... it seems like ISI is satisfied with the current product, as I stated there's no apparent rush to address many issues that could catapult rF2 beyond the realm of "almost there." No one can contest the tire model and how informative the FFB is, but it isn't the only one with very good FFB or very detailed, multi-layered tire model. But back to the "quick fixes," imagine the impact a proper UI would bring with corrected lighting?! The graphics would still look less-than pC or AC but the gap would be much closer. And what about the stock content, how can it be acceptable to have such wide spectrum quality? Fork out an additional 15,000-20,000 dollars and have a few artists revamp the textures and some of the modeling on existing content.

Right now rF2 is a disclaimer sim, where it can be fantastic if run under specific conditions. I have no motivation to renew my online to lifetime due to absolutely nothing for me out there in terms of racing. There's not enough options and the vast majority are sh*t or boring options. Single player is annoying that it's one and done races with the AI, but even that I can't get going because of the erratic AI not functioning well with open wheelers on more recent builds and tracks.

To me, if Assetto Corsa could address the FFB situation and bring in more in-game race options (and multiplayer options to at least somewhat match rFactor) then rF2 would be all but dead for me. But then again, Kunos is not known for being timely or cognizant of their problems so I actually still very extremely rarely touch AC. There is still some valuable content that is heavenly in rF2 but it is in the modding pipeline for AC. The 2014 Formula Renault and Indycars are superb fun, the former being absolute quality though I wish I had a better wheel than my Porsche GT3 v2. I am about to install GPL in order to have a proper offline experience, as GTP in NR2003 can't support a championship.

ISI knows they have HDR exposure issues but they are seemingly in no rush to address a lot of shortcomings

it seems like ISI is satisfied with the current product,

I love it when people tell me why I did something and my rational behind it. It is is hard to take criticism seriously when it is prefaced with what the company is thinking, it is conjecture at best and it is made to sound like fact.

• Deleted member 130869

Where have I invented anything there? ISI does know about the issue as mentioned by Tim and Tuttle. The end of the first and all of second quote has it clearly delineated it is my opinion.

I read everything posted by the ISI staff in their forum and FB page. They are pleased with their game and their approach to their rate of development is, "this is what rF2 is, you are buying into that." I am paraphrasing here, not even posting my feelings.

How you wish to interpret my words is your business but do not try to diminish my point by reducing everything to made up points. Then you'd be the one mistaken and using your conjecture as fact.

You quoted a phrase then called it paraphrasing.

They are pleased with their game and their approach to their rate of development is, "this is what rF2 is, you are buying into that." I am paraphrasing here

This is exactly what I am referring to. I like a good debate as much as anybody. I would choose my words more carefully. I am not saying that some of the things are not possibly true but you don't know and when you speak for them it kills your cred bro.

Nah those are real issues and mostly even known, nothing new and ISI doesn't care much to fix those. It's same as with SLI in triple screen mode, performance is poor from day one and has been reported, yet problem doesn't exist according to developer in recent interview. There is bug with HDR showing dark blacks as purple, again it's put on monitor calibration fault rather than game. Or as with this HDR automation, it only works well under certain daytime conditions, making game look bad in daytime or early noon. It is what it is.

I am aware of those issues but a some of them have to do with nividia not addressing games that are in development. Still doesn't deter my point of quoting a company when they didn't say it. Those little quote markers mean something.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back