rFactor 2 Build 880 Released

rfactor2_fr35_2014_01.jpg

Image Space Incorporated has released build 880 for rFactor 2. This includes a new SDK for modding, a new demo installer, graphical and physics updates.

Here's the complete changelog provided by ISI:

"GRAPHICS
Fixed terrain shader specularity issue.
Fixed wet surface reflections.
Lightened up shadows by artificially boosting ambient light level.
Fix problem seeing steering wheel in rear look under certain conditions.
Some code to help with blurry rims.

HUD/ COMMENTARY:
Re-recorded commentary with a MASSIVE volume boost (You might want to adjust your settings)

BUG FIXES / OPTIMIZATIONS:
Fixed auto update bug for expired accounts
Fixed a very minor memory leak.
Several minor stability fixes.
Removed requirement for “_x64″ to be added to 64-bit plugins. It’s no longer a problem because they are in a separate directory. However, it still might be useful to for humans to identify which is which.
Added a new default method for assigning pit/garage spots in multiplayer which keeps them more consistent over a weekend. This new default method can be disabled by changing the multiplayer.json value “Assign Parking” to false (at which point it will revert to using the traditional team-based pit/garage assignments).
Fixed issue where driver body sometimes appears while rear-looking.
Minor fixes to prevent crash when exiting from “rF2 already running” condition
Fixed random black box that appears when hitting ‘`’ key
Dealing with some uninitialized data in old TGMs that is now actually used.

AI:
Smoothed out the corner widening associated with rcd parameter UnderSteerEffectOnLineThreshold trigger as well as with rear grip loss. Made the rate of “corner widening” relative either to the car’s lateral velocity or lateral position relative to current waypoint direction.
Pace cars now look for a path called “PACECAR” to drive, otherwise defaults to fastest path.
Fixed AI tire drag calculation
Slightly better AI bumpstop damping.
Fixed a bug in AI logic that could result in cars taking high speed corners a bit too fast and wide.

PHYSICS:
New tire contact patch code added. It is backwards-compatible (i.e. existing tires should not change behavior, you would need to do more +ttool analysis in order for new functionality to take effect). There are some minor issues that still need to be ironed out.

FEATURES:
Allow replays to run without the correct version of a scene or vehicle, but only after checking for the correct one first.
Lock in demo mod when using creating a new plr file with the +demo CLI parameter set.
Added a new default method for assigning pit/garage spots in multiplayer which keeps them more consistent over a weekend. This new default method can be disabled by changing the multiplayer.json value “Assign Parking” to false (at which point it will revert to using the traditional team-based pit/garage assignments).
Added additional options for the RFM variable ‘FinishUnderCaution’ to allow the finish to be delayed up to 3x. Previous options were off, 1x, or infinite.
Much behind the scenes work on plugin interface for future interface additions

MODDING / PUBLIC DEV:
In the AIW editor, made the Ctrl-Shift(-Alt) keys easier to move the car when paused: 1) it now follows the terrain, and 2) rotating the car with the 4 and 6 numpad keys doesn’t simultaneously rotate the swingman camera.
Modmgr now automatically saves/loads separate profiles for each install.
Added log message and assert if there are no collidable triangles in SCN, which isn’t really handled.
fixes to new pit/garage assignment code
Made new pit/garage assignment work with driver changes (probably needs testing).
dev mode AIW editor fix for moving path on last waypoint of pit lane
TTool: in the Realtime section, removed the somewhat-useless ‘Width’ and added the somewhat-useful ‘Dynamic Unloaded Radius’.
Fixed a possible game freeze using the AIW editor “move & Match” waypoint by waypoint manipulation function.

UI
Moved version numbers for vehicles tree list down to the individual cars instead of the class headers"
Join the discussion in our dedicated rFactor 2 forum, check out awesome screenshots and videos in our rF2 gallery, get racing in our rF2 Racing Club and Leagues and make your game even more awesome with some rFactor 2 mods!

I'm another G25 owner who found the rF2 ffb unimpressive. I know ISI have said geared wheels like the G25 are obsolete but while my G25 is working I'm not going to pay out a fortune for a belt driven wheel and even if it fails I'm still not sure I can justify spending so much money on a wheel. I suspect I would go for a DF GT.

Adding caster did improve the self centering but doesn't help feeling the grip. Also a relatively small increase in caster gave a huge increase in the self centring. I didn't find it convincing.
You are aware the dfgt is a geared wheel too, right?

Who cares if you have to give a 30% cut to Steam when the total sales will become 10 or 100 times higher than via sales through the classic channels.

Totally agreed. Steam brings a new level of promotion, advertisement and visibility to games that you simply can't achieve through word of mouth on the internet. I've bought many games on Steam I never knew existed and likely never would have had they not been on Steam.

Totally agreed. Steam brings a new level of promotion, advertisement and visibility to games that you simply can't achieve through word of mouth on the internet. I've bought many games on Steam I never knew existed and likely never would have had they not been on Steam.
I agree 3 years ago i don't know what steam but in these 3 years they showed me tons of new games and most importantly you can get every day an advertisement of some thing which can be Very good for Publicity of the game over thousands of millions of people every day

For the record, I have absolutely no UI issues (streamlined UI) and the FFB is excellent. I have a Thrustmaster T500 and I can feel every nuance of the driving. The only thing I had to do was reduce FFB to about 8 on average (where 10 is the max) in the car FFB inside "Controllers". Otherwise it was clipping.

I am much more disappointed about the graphics and the frame rate with my old nVidia GTX460 in SLI than I am with the rest. rF2 is an excellent sim, but the colors are dreadful. Every track and car looks like they used a set of crayons to color the environment. rF1 looks better than that on my machine, but it's very possible I screwed something up in trying to make it better.

• Deleted member 130869

Who cares if you have to give a 30% cut to Steam when the total sales will become 10 or 100 times higher than via sales through the classic channels.

I didn't make an argument against the additional sales volume. But do factor in all the requirements to actually make it into the little slider storefront of games. Then factor in the $85 price tag for lifetime online. It gets trounced by any competition in that pricing aspect.

Most simracers know of rFactor and rFactor 2. How many casual players will be willing the shell out $45 dollars on it? How many will shell out $85 to not worry about yearly online renewals? Lastly, rFactor 2's stock content is of great disparity of quality. If there is issue with fanboyism with sims just as there is with videogame consoles as it stands now, imagine the negative hammering rF2 would receive due to the visual aspect (UI and car/track graphics).

I don't see rF2 as a complete game. It's a development program for ISImotor2.5. And it's the isimotor2.5 i'm interested in.

Pro simulators including some of the F1 simulators (Red-bull racing) are build on isimotor2. (rFactor Pro)
rF1 was a development program for isimotor2.
Isimotor2 is finished for a while and Raiza studio's and others take it to the sky, to program every feature possible within isimotor2.

Isimotor2/rFactorPro is the simulator of the F1 drivers of today.
Isimotor2.5 will be the simulator of F1 drivers of tomorrow. And i can enjoy it today. :cool:

Click here for more info.

The rF2 ISI engine is what you pay for to use.
All other ISI content: cars and tracks are for free!!!
They don't sell DLC packages.

I love digging into the possibilities to setup a race. From assigning teams/cars to a specific garage box and pit spot, to flag rules and all kinds of safety car procedures, to different quali settings, parc ferme settings, etc...

That's something that can't be done with other sims...

If you want to enjoy the rF2 in a complete finished game. Buy Reiza GSCE 2 on steam in 3-4 years.

By that time, I'll be racing in rF3 ;)

Just my couple thoughts.
rFactor2 is simply too complex for casusal racer, who wants to jump on sprint race public server and just do a quick race, maybe doesn´t even bother with car setup ... if I don´t mention variable weather condition, dinamic track surface ... etc.
In my opinion rFactor2 is more league or let say club races platform, where you can prepare car setup before race, see what kind of weather admin choose (if server is not connected to real time race track weather) and how air/track temperatures are changing dynamically. So, that is too much for virtual race enthusiast, who just want to join the grid and do 10 laps race for fun.
Last time, during our 8 hours endurance race, we had to change setup for 5 or 6 times, because weather conditions changed dramatically, so our "perfect" practice setup just didn´t work any more.
... and I like AC, GSCE and almost even more RRRE after last updates, so I am not a rF2 fanboy, I am just choosing what fits me the best and ATM rFactor 2 is my game for "serious" racing :).

Last edited:
@ Gijs
If I understood your last post correctly..
we should look at rf2 as more of a developer kit with a bit of content, and the 99% wanting to experience the potential of this fantastic engine who don't file dig are best to wait for another developer like reiza to come along iron out the bugs and push it to its fullest?
I was really hoping when I payed for this title isi would be the one giving me all the goods, but on the other hand if gsc was a glimpse of what could be done with the gmotor 2 engine let's all hope Reiza gets ahold of 2.5 soon :)

After trying latest build of rF2 i can't see nothing special, not too much time on it anyway but... nothing special. Graphics still rubbish and i get random stutters from time to time, almost all on max settings and average 90 FPS. Think i'm going to race only on AC where everything is butter smooth...

Intel i7 3770, GTX 680 2GB DDR5 SC Signature, 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz, 1,5TB WD Black

<sarcasm on>
Yeah AC is soooooo great!
My experience....
I wanna play online... trying to connect..... doesn't work... ask how to.... "Did you applied a time slot between... time x and time y?" ... huh???..no?...."you cannot play!".... Great stuff, now that was fun....!
a couple of times I did "order" a time slot... can I practice online ? No... you need to practice offline till the ordered time slot becomes active.... uh... okay?!?!?....time slot came....Did practice, qualy, warm up.. time to race . :) Click to go to the race... disconnect... reconnect... 2 laps back of the field... now that was great fun in a car that felt like an arcade car (due to the ffb?)...
</sarcasm off>

rFactor2 gives me much better driving experience and feeling to the road. True, the mod system is horrible and the graphics engine is, compared to other games , outdated, but for me grafix are not the number 1 priority.
AC just doesn't give that to me feel of racing as rFator2 does, at least not yet.

Anyway, choosing between AC and rFactor2.....rFactor2, ANY DAY! :)

After trying latest build of rF2 i can't see nothing special, not too much time on it anyway but... nothing special. Graphics still rubbish and i get random stutters from time to time, almost all on max settings and average 90 FPS. Think i'm going to race only on AC where everything is butter smooth...

Intel i7 3770, GTX 680 2GB DDR5 SC Signature, 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz, 1,5TB WD Black

You play a racing sim for the graphics???:roflmao:

Simply put, driving in this sim is unparalleled in terms of physics and immersion. It's like you can really feel the road through the steering wheel.

Random stutters are a localised problem on your PC, since the majority don't get it. My settings can be classified as high overall. Not ultra, but high.

I get shitty force feedback on AC, but I don't blame Kunos for that, it's due to my settings being bad or not optimised.

I have a Radeon R9 280X, but it ran fine on my GTX 670.
2500k processor.

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM hard drive.

Yep, all inferior to yours, yet I don't have any of your issues you're describing.

Time to dig a bit deeper there on your PC methinks. ;)

And no, I don't think the game is nearly perfect - there are quite a few things wrong with it. Not to mention the devs' lack of taking constructive criticism and instead making excuses for everything critical said toward them on their forum.

But somehow the driving itself makes up for it all, and then some. :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back