rFactor 2: Build 860 now available

rf2_camaro_birdseye.jpg

ISI have released the latest build for rFactor 2. Like the last build, 860 focuses on improving overall stability.

Update 26 (Build 859-unstable, 860-release) Changelog Sep 12, 2014):

Features:
  • Dropped support for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 to make exploitation of state of the art Windows APIs possible.
  • Added slightly more informative (as in, the actual file names that fail to load) logging to commentary loading.
  • Ride height measurement (for aerodynamics and telemetry output) is no longer affected by vertical offsets in the undertray feelers. This was done so that the physics is more consistent between the player vs. the AI. This slightly affects the physics for the Nissan 370Z and it is possible that it affects some 3rd-party cars. Also, we fixed the HDV parameter CorrectedInnerSuspHeightRear to work with rear axles, and eliminated the hacky AIEvenSuspension and AITorqueStab variables.

Bug Fixes/Optimizations:
  • Fixed crash on exit.
  • Fixed TrackIR in 64-bit.
  • Forcing playerfile variables to exist between their min and max upon load from file.
  • Fixed bug with English version of the game to make degree signs for temperature (°) consistent through out.
  • Fixed bug with RCD editing from UI in dev mode so we now create drivers (that exist in the veh file) that don’t exist in any RCD file.
  • Reduced some violent collisions caused by tiny gaps in the wall.
  • Prevent physics blow-ups caused by negative wheel inertias.
  • Fixed possible crash at shutdown.

Multiplayer:
  • New dedicated server UI added as an option in the advanced tab. It can be used to start quick pick up races based on settings made by the conventional dedicated server.

Modding / Public Dev:
  • Modmode: Fixed pit location picking resetting the menu every time a location is recorded.
  • Improved AIW editor waypoint by waypoint calculated speed matcher. It’s now less likely to get confused and auto advances the selected wp in the direction you are (or should be) working.

AI:
  • Added an “AI setup” button to the “car tuning” page so that one can set the upgrades the AI should use for a specific track.
  • Can set AI setup (select the AI from the grid, then select the setup you want from the garage, and hit the set to AI button), and it takes next time the car enters the garage
  • Made the AI speed reduction due to darkness start at 0.5 light instead of .99. Made player car under AI control operate at %100 speed instead of being based on original driver rcd stats
  • AIs now turn off engine when heading back into garage.
  • Fixed a bug where AI can forget how to stop on their pit spot.
  • Changed “AI Setup” button so that user dictated setups can’t overwrite upgrade configurations dictated by component. Renamed it to “Force Setup”, because it’s not just AI that are forced to use this setup, but the player as well.
Join the discussion in our dedicated rFactor 2 forum, check out awesome screenshots and videos in our rF2 gallery, get racing in our rF2 Racing Club and Leagues and make your game even more awesome with some rFactor 2 mods!

To be clear, i have experience in karts, racing cars and driving's licence for 17 years (driving on rain LOTS of times), so don't talk like i'm a noob or something, i'm talking about rain driving in rFactor2, with proper wet setup tricks and wet tires. Car drives like ON ICE in previous versions, aswell as the car seems too light and weight only 100 Kg's, is this still the same or is there any improvement in last versions? Thank you.

To be clear, i have experience in karts, racing cars and driving's licence for 17 years (driving on rain LOTS of times), so don't talk like i'm a noob or something, i'm talking about rain driving in rFactor2, with proper wet setup tricks and wet tires. Car drives like ON ICE in previous versions, aswell as the car seems too light and weight only 100 Kg's, is this still the same or is there any improvement in last versions? Thank you.
I meant it depends on the track conditions. If you have no AI on track and the rain is a bit heavier it is an instant lake in rF2, which is really unrealistic. It is a very fine line where rain actually works and that is, if you have light rain and a lot of cars on track to clear it away. The realroad is a big factor with multiplier on 10x it dries very fast, but on 1x it can be damn slow, so yes rain is by no way final and in the current build you cant see wetness on the track, so definetely not better than before. If you get the rain "right" it is quite enjoyable, but the super wet conditions is like hell. You understeer off track at 30kp/h and that feels like on ice.

I won't go as far as saying all cars drive like they're on ice. Some still exhibit abnormal behavior without additional setup in certain conditions.
I never could quite understand why some developers (not just ISI) feel the need to make cars almost impossible to drive in 'simulation' software...(without 'fiddling' with numerous settings out of the box).
I have driven lots of different race and highly modified road sedans over the years.
The one thing all well prepared cars had in common out of the gate was excellent handling.
It's really hard to describe how much grip four small contact patches can provide...wet or dry.
It almost feels like your filling will fall out in some corners.
RF2 has gotten much better but it still needs some tweaking, when I have a Megane sometimes bringing the tail-end around at 25 mph on a level surface.
Cold tires or not....race cars don't do that and neither does your daily driver.
I dare anybody to bring me a video with a modern road or race sedan losing it's rear on dry asphalt or concrete at 25 mph..

Last edited:
I won't go as far as saying all cars drive like they're on ice. Some still exhibit abnormal behavior without setup in certain conditions.
I never could quite understand why some developers feel the need to make cars almost impossible to drive in 'simulation' software...(without 'fiddling' with numerous settings out of the box).
I have driven lots of different race and highly modified road sedans over the years.
The one thing all had in common out of the gate was handling.
It's really hard to describe how much grip four small contact patches can provide...wet or dry.
It almost feels like your filling will fall out in some corners.
RF2 is getting better but it's not quite there yet when I have a Renault Megane sometimes bringing the tail-end around at 25 mph on a level surface.
Cold tires or not....cars don't do that, not even your daily driver.
I dare anybody to bring me a video with a modern road or race sedan losing it's rear on dry asphalt or concrete at 25 mph..

Finally someone understands me, i'm sorry rF2 fanboys but the game it's not finished yet at some points, if cars drive in real life like rF2 the amount of dead people on roads would be 10 times higher...

I grew up driving rear engine, rear-wheel drive monsters and while I'm a mid-pack simracer at best, I can tell you a bit about tracking.
One of the most tail-happy cars I ever drove in anger was my brother's twin-turbo.
At 425hp and 400lb-ft of torque...IT didn't step out at 25 mph.
It's not about fan-boy or any such nonsense. It's about getting it right.
Almost all game developers do something very similar.
It's almost as if they're saying it's a race car so it must be harder to handle, even at low speed.
The exact opposite is true by the way.
We don't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to build and setup race cars, only to have them handle worst than your average road car.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 390 40.0%