rFactor 2: Build 860 now available

rf2_camaro_birdseye.jpg

ISI have released the latest build for rFactor 2. Like the last build, 860 focuses on improving overall stability.

Update 26 (Build 859-unstable, 860-release) Changelog Sep 12, 2014):

Features:
  • Dropped support for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 to make exploitation of state of the art Windows APIs possible.
  • Added slightly more informative (as in, the actual file names that fail to load) logging to commentary loading.
  • Ride height measurement (for aerodynamics and telemetry output) is no longer affected by vertical offsets in the undertray feelers. This was done so that the physics is more consistent between the player vs. the AI. This slightly affects the physics for the Nissan 370Z and it is possible that it affects some 3rd-party cars. Also, we fixed the HDV parameter CorrectedInnerSuspHeightRear to work with rear axles, and eliminated the hacky AIEvenSuspension and AITorqueStab variables.

Bug Fixes/Optimizations:
  • Fixed crash on exit.
  • Fixed TrackIR in 64-bit.
  • Forcing playerfile variables to exist between their min and max upon load from file.
  • Fixed bug with English version of the game to make degree signs for temperature (°) consistent through out.
  • Fixed bug with RCD editing from UI in dev mode so we now create drivers (that exist in the veh file) that don’t exist in any RCD file.
  • Reduced some violent collisions caused by tiny gaps in the wall.
  • Prevent physics blow-ups caused by negative wheel inertias.
  • Fixed possible crash at shutdown.

Multiplayer:
  • New dedicated server UI added as an option in the advanced tab. It can be used to start quick pick up races based on settings made by the conventional dedicated server.

Modding / Public Dev:
  • Modmode: Fixed pit location picking resetting the menu every time a location is recorded.
  • Improved AIW editor waypoint by waypoint calculated speed matcher. It’s now less likely to get confused and auto advances the selected wp in the direction you are (or should be) working.

AI:
  • Added an “AI setup” button to the “car tuning” page so that one can set the upgrades the AI should use for a specific track.
  • Can set AI setup (select the AI from the grid, then select the setup you want from the garage, and hit the set to AI button), and it takes next time the car enters the garage
  • Made the AI speed reduction due to darkness start at 0.5 light instead of .99. Made player car under AI control operate at %100 speed instead of being based on original driver rcd stats
  • AIs now turn off engine when heading back into garage.
  • Fixed a bug where AI can forget how to stop on their pit spot.
  • Changed “AI Setup” button so that user dictated setups can’t overwrite upgrade configurations dictated by component. Renamed it to “Force Setup”, because it’s not just AI that are forced to use this setup, but the player as well.
Join the discussion in our dedicated rFactor 2 forum, check out awesome screenshots and videos in our rF2 gallery, get racing in our rF2 Racing Club and Leagues and make your game even more awesome with some rFactor 2 mods!

Jim, I gave you a winner to make up for the dislike, :)
Now you can PM "fery" to ask him why he dislikes your comment so much:D

By the way I agree that having rain in a race is pretty bad for me and my driving. Never having driven a real life race in rain I can't comment on how realistic it is, but I'm pretty sure that race drivers couldn't drive as fast and safe as they do if it is realistic! Even the pictures of the SPA GP race of 1967 where they were in the rain with no aero is bad but somehow they still mostly stayed on the track.

By the way I agree that having rain in a race is pretty bad for me and my driving. Never having driven a real life race in rain I can't comment on how realistic it is, but I'm pretty sure that race drivers couldn't drive as fast and safe as they do if it is realistic! Even the pictures of the SPA GP race of 1967 where they were in the rain with no aero is bad but somehow they still mostly stayed on the track.

It's a really strange thing when you go out for the first time in rain.
Your brain is telling you you should not be able to go that fast in the rain but the car is telling you something else with it's stability.
Where it gets tricky is when you start braking for turns and the speed starts to come off.
That's when you start to feel the instability above what seem reasonable.

Finally someone understands me, i'm sorry rF2 fanboys but the game it's not finished yet at some points, if cars drive in real life like rF2 the amount of dead people on roads would be 10 times higher...

Road cars are not race cars, road cars are made understeery and safe. How many road cars have you driven in rF2? For example an average 2014 F1 car (such as the Ferrari) is difficult to drive. It's enough to look at some F1 onboards to realize that. Most cars in rF2 drive really well now, the GT cars (Corvette, Nissan 370Z, GTR) are if anything on the easier side to drive now.

I grew up driving rear engine, rear-wheel drive monsters and while I'm a mid-pack simracer at best, I can tell you a bit about tracking.
One of the most tail-happy cars I ever drove in anger was my brother's twin-turbo.
At 425hp and 400lb-ft of torque...IT didn't step out at 25 mph.
It's not about fan-boy or any such nonsense. It's about getting it right.
Almost all game developers do something very similar.
It's almost as if they're saying it's a race car so it must be harder to handle, even at low speed.
The exact opposite is true by the way.
We don't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to build and setup race cars, only to have them handle worst than your average road car.

This.

I had some some fun with my Beemer on a race track myself.

The driving experience of a simulator and a real race car are just different. In a real car you feel deceleration and acceleration very detailed. Driving on the limit: first glimps of sliding: under or oversteer i feel it on my body (not directly on the wheel). FFB in a real race car is more numbed then a the FFB of a sim. Road bumbs i can feel them in my seat, not on my wheel. Hitting a curb, yes i feel that on the wheel.
Tire sound: non at all, only with a full tire lock.

But the basics are the same. Driving ideal line, keeping the car planted as much as possible. Braking as hard as possible without compromising your turn-in. Accelerating as soon as possible without losing the rear. (Mostly due to carrying to much momentum then on pure power)

rF2 is different in that way that it has the ability to give changing conditions: on road surface, Weather and flag rules, tires wear, tires heating, fuel consumption,... Etc

And yes, these things are simulated. And still been fine tuned.

My thoughts:
Driving a real race car is more easy as i first thought.
Racing it on the limit, is still a scary feeling.

My experience: flooring the throttle at "low speed" in second gear: ;) Tires were bye bye after that day. :p
Bas-Van-Elderen1.jpg

If you want the ultimate real feel. Sell you sim gear! ;) Buy a race car.

I'm looking for the similarity's, not the differences! :whistling:

I was at COTA this past weekend for Tudor/WEC and when the down pour happened nearly every car went off track do to how fast the water accumulated. Cars could barley get back to the pits under their own power at less than 5mph... And Cota has very good drainage...

I have raced in real life in damp conditions but I've never seen a track turn into a river like that...

I've not played RF2 yet but have read water accumulation is quick... I suppose I'll try it myself at some point but felt my story might be relevant.

I don't have any real racing experience in the rain but I have done a track day in my over-powered fwd with summer tires where it rained non-stop all day. That was interesting!

So far in rF2 I have only done two full length online races.

One was non-stop pouring rain at Silverstone in BES mod and that was very slick.

The other was in Meganes at Philip Island and was VERY fun in fact the most fun I have ever had in a Megane but that is likely because in the rain they felt more like historic vehicles, which are my specialty.

I should mention, though that most others were struggling terribly so either they don't have rain experience or yeah it is too slippery but just doesn't bother me because I am used to driving on terrible tires.

I don't have any real racing experience in the rain but I have done a track day in my over-powered fwd with summer tires where it rained non-stop all day. That was interesting!

So far in rF2 I have only done two full length online races.

One was non-stop pouring rain at Silverstone in BES mod and that was very slick.

The other was in Meganes at Philip Island and was VERY fun in fact the most fun I have ever had in a Megane but that is likely because in the rain they felt more like historic vehicles, which are my specialty.

I should mention, though that most others were struggling terribly so either they don't have rain experience or yeah it is too slippery but just doesn't bother me because I am used to driving on terrible tires.
The Megane is very fun in the race, but a lot of people seem to struggle. Once I managed to lap a whole 15 car field at LimeRock in the rain in 15min not even starting at the front :D

I 'Hobby raced' Clios about 17 years ago on British tracks. It was all self-funded and we had a 'team' of four of us looking after two cars *chuckles* I agree that you cannot throw the back end out on a car on a dry track at 25mph unless someone gives you a nudge.

I sometimes wonder if the NFS programmers escaped, took on false identities and starting working on 'handling' for race sims instead... :D

(I also miss, in Sims, the feeling of what we always simply called 'arse' in racing. I realise inner ear had a lot to do with it, but nothing beats feeling the pressure that the seat is putting on either side of your bum for letting you know what the back of the car is doing at any given moment, imho. If I ever win the lottery, I'm getting one of those Sim-racing rigs with the hydraulics that tip you about as you race the track. :thumbsup: )

(I also miss, in Sims, the feeling of what we always simply called 'arse' in racing. I realise inner ear had a lot to do with it, but nothing beats feeling the pressure that the seat is putting on either side of your bum for letting you know what the back of the car is doing at any given moment, imho. :thumbsup: )

It is nice...isn't it!
Once the apprehension of that initial slide is out of the way and you find the approximate limit you can 'push' the car to on various surfaces...it's quite fun.
I started in karts so I was very much accustomed to slide control.
The correction is the same obviously, it just felt a bit different because the slide in the real car came at much higher speed after what felt like the 'world' of grip. It's rather sudden.
I'll never forget that feeling.
The first real car I ever drove fast was a Chevron B16... but that was only on a straight so I never had a chance to experience it there.
As to the lateral G...it feels completely different from acceleration in a thrust plane.
Years ago, we installed two newly overhauled TFE731 engines on a Lear35 and test flew it.
Even with that much power and an unrestricted climb pushing to 37000 ft, the force acting on your body in the race car feels much more harsh.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing