rFactor 2 Build 1109 Released - Includes New Rain Features

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Update Released.jpg

A new update for rFactor 2 has been deployed today, now featuring enhanced rain visuals amongst a sizeable number of improvements and fixes.

As detailed in the final development roadmap post of 2017 (HERE), Studio 397 have today deployed a fairly sizeable new build release for rFactor 2 that amongst other things offers players the opportunity to sample the first pass of the enhanced rain effects introduced to this venerable racing simulation. Benefitting from significantly improved visual representation over the previous rain simulation, the new build is a major step forward in one of the few remaining areas where rFactor 2 fails to live up to expectations in comparison to other similar simulators available on the marketplace today.

As well as the very visually obvious changes to weather effects, Studio 397 have committed to continue developing the wet stuff in rF2 as they look to improve the overall experience and introduce physics interaction with dynamic puddle formations and other interesting and exciting elements found in wet weather racing.

Due to the nature of the new build and visual improvements brought to the simulation, vanilla and mod content will need to be updated to make best use of the new technology employed by Studio 397. As such the Dutch developers are actively working to update all the base content of the simulation, with the following items already having been given the update treatment, with more to follow in the coming weeks and months;

Cars
  • Bentley GT3 - v1.97
  • Radical GT3 - v1.993
  • Mercedes GT3 - v1.99
  • McLaren GT3 - v1.993
  • Callaway GT3 - v1.97
  • Formula E - v1.993
  • Dallara - v1.96
  • USF 2000 - v1.94
  • Camaro GT3 - v1.94
  • Corvette C6R - v1.93
  • Nissan 370Z GT4 - v1.93
  • Brabham BT44B - v1.95 >>>You need to manually subscribe HERE
  • Brabham BT20 - v1.95
  • Stock Car - v1.96
  • EVE -v1.98
  • Spark - v1.98
  • Formula Two - v1.95
  • Honda Civic BTCC - v1.99 (Physics Update: New tires)
  • Kart Cup - v1.92
  • Nissan GTR GT1 - v1.93
  • Howston G4 - v1.96
  • Howston G6 - v1.96
  • Megane 2013 - v1.95
  • Clio 2010 - v1.93
  • Howston Dissenter - v1.94
Tracks
  • LimeRock - 2.02
  • Mores - v1.82
  • Nola - v1.30
  • Indianapolis - v2.04
  • Silverstone - v1.84
  • Brianza - v2.04
  • Malaysia - v1.82
Before playing the new update it is also worth noting the following information;
  • Important: Make sure to update any SteamCMD servers to get the latest!
  • Delete contents of the folders CBash and shaders located in \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log
Full build 1109 change log (December 21st 2017)

Improved Lighting

• We developed an Image-Based Lighting for Ambient (IBLA) solution that substantially improves lighting in our graphics engine.
  • IBLA acts on the colors of the scene, taking into account information from the surrounding environment when drawing each object.
  • The resulting lighting system gives the final image a more realistic look and it improves the perception of depth for the driver.
  • This new system uses new ambient probes that have been added to most of the tracks. It is recomputed dynamically as weather or time conditions change.
  • IBLA does not introduce any noticeable performance penalties and its features have been exposed to Mod Dev. Furthermore, tracks that do not have set IBLA yet will automatically have a default set of probes assigned to them.
Rain Effects

Cars
  • Added dynamic drops on the windshield and the body of the car.
  • These drops respect gravity, so they will run down the sides, and each single drop will have its own lifespan.
  • The drops also respect airflow around the car when driving, making them move in appropriate directions.
  • The effect is not scripted but generated in real time, and it varies depending on factors like the amount of rain drops falling from the sky, the speed of the vehicle, or the particles generated from another car in front of you.
  • Wipers on cars are now functional and will clear the windscreen in two different user configurable speeds.
Tracks
  • Vastly improved reflections of the surroundings that become visible as the track gets wet.
  • Added blurred reflections for the “Ultra” Road Reflection setting.
  • Improved shaders for the real-road surfaces and added new shaders to match closely the properties of elements like curbs in dry/wet conditions.
  • Added highly detailed puddle maps that allow puddles to form in the appropriate places on tracks.
New HUD Options
  • Added options to show tire wear and ride height as text parameters.
  • Added tire wear percentage to the vehicle status MFD.
  • Increased the accuracy of fuel consumption with an extra digit.
  • Fixed a bug with TireAverageTemp text parameters, which would not show up in the HUD because of a space in their names.
  • Added a “delta best” parameter that you can add to a HUD, showing time lost or gained compared to your fastest lap in milliseconds. Works for all cars (not just player). Included optional text coloring of the text output so positive and negative values can result in different colors.
  • Added a more accurate fuel indication as well as one that shows the fuel you used in your last (full) lap, or zero otherwise.
  • Added a gauge for showing the “delta best” with a range of -1.0 to +1.0 seconds.
  • Added predicted number of laps remaining based on fuel used for last lap.
  • Added current rain percentage.
  • Added minimum and maximum track water depth.
  • Added an option to disable font scaling for the chat and message box (apart from using comic sans, non-linear font scaling is about the biggest sin a designer can commit).
  • Added weather info (rain intensity and min/max water depth) into the MFD for HUD and in-car use.
  • Designed a new default HUD that takes advantage of the new features. (Coming soon)
Other/Fixes etc.
  • The plugin API will no longer invoke callbacks that provide ScreenInfoV01 data that used to allow plugins to render to the screen. Doing this directly has been deprecated with the release of DX11, and alternatives are to either use information that is available in the updated HUD or wait for a new plugable HUD system to be released in 2018.
  • We have removed the “cache” folder from our install, so all content will now be downloaded from the workshop. This means the base install is much smaller. Upon first launch you will be automatically subscribed to all Studio 397 content and while that is downloading the Launcher will show a progress dialog window with screenshots of all content items it is downloading for you.
  • Generating Mip Maps from reflections, this gives smoother reflections as a result.
  • Formula E liveries for TeCheetah, Mahindra and Venturi updated to 2018.
  • Formula E driver helmets updated.
  • Formula E driver suits updated.
Known Issues/troubleshooting
  • Rain effects are visual currently. However, we are working on physics impacts.
  • Some content is still to be updated to include the rain effects such as cars and tracks.
  • Performance is constantly being reviewed
  • Rain drops on external cameras under review
  • If you are experiencing strange graphical issues, delete the contents of your cbash and shader folders located in \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log
  • Important: Make sure to update any SteamCMD servers to get the latest!
To help you get the most performance out of the new update Studio 397 have released basic graphics setting guidance that can be found HERE.

rFactor 2 is available from Steam as a PC exclusive title now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Tried the new build yet? What are your impressions of the new rain effects? Like the new direction of the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Thought I would fire-up rF2 to check out the new rain for myself. It doesn't get past the white background splash screen.

Confirmed video config is correct.
Did a Steam file integrity check.

Still won't load.

I had previously reverted from the Beta to the standard build. Launcher unhelpfully says 1109, which due to the numbering system is almost irrelevant and I don't know any way to see the real build details.

Any suggestions how to get rF2 to load? Haven't used it in a while (too busy with other sims), but for many years I used it daily and never had a problem loading, ever.
I have a similar issue where rF2 launcher comes up OK, but the game crashes about 20 seconds after I click the single player (helmet) icon, usually just after the full screen rF2 logo comes up. If I go back to the launcher and try again, the game loads fine.

On a related issue, the rain windscreen and road reflection fx look cool, but the performance hit on my system (i5, GTX970) is really substantial. Like a lot of people my system, which breezes through pC2, AMS, R3E and AC, struggles to get a consistent framerate even without the rain fx with DX11, especially with some of the new content. New features and content are always welcome, but the current implementation is just too heavy, performance wise, for me to enjoy properly.

I have a similar issue where rF2 launcher comes up OK, but the game crashes about 20 seconds after I click the single player (helmet) icon, usually just after the full screen rF2 logo comes up. If I go back to the launcher and try again, the game loads fine.

On a related issue, the rain windscreen and road reflection fx look cool, but the performance hit on my system (i5, GTX970) is really substantial. Like a lot of people my system, which breezes through pC2, AMS, R3E and AC, struggles to get a consistent framerate even without the rain fx with DX11, especially with some of the new content. New features and content are always welcome, but the current implementation is just too heavy, performance wise, for me to enjoy properly.

Well, I get no actual crash--it just won't proceed beyond splash screen.

Trace shows a series of mod-related errors. I wish I had confidence that if I spent hours going in to find and either update or delete the offending mods that it would resolve the situation. But perhaps the newest build is designed to prevent loading errors or bad results in the sim by not even allowing itself to start if there is any chance of that.

Some of the errors relate to workshop content that has not been updated recently...fairly obvious. Other messages are more obscure and relate to the ridiculous inconsistent naming scheme for mods that has grown like topsy over the years so you can't even figure-out what is installed without cross-checking in the sim to what something is called there versus in the Launcher mod manager.

One of the errors is with S397 Zandvoort... Two of them are for workshop items that I cannot unsubscribe to because they don't exist in the Workshop any longer....

For example, one of many, I have two 370Z workshop items. ISI_NIssan_370Z_2012* v1.47 and Nissan_370z_2012* v1.93 from S397. Pretty obvious which one I should keep, but how do you get rid of the old one when it won't uninstall because it's a workshop item, but ISI or S397 removed it from the workshop, so neither can you unsubscribe?!?!?!?!

This mess is really unbelievable for the length of time rF2 has been on the market.

Last edited:
It's called Karma Marc ;)

Try a fresh install, looks like you have a lot of old mods (as you say) that maybe defunct now. As with any major new update like this it's a good idea to do a fresh install anyway especially as you again say you've not run it for ages, weeds out all the rubbish.

It's called Karma Marc ;)

Try a fresh install, looks like you have a lot of old mods (as you say) that maybe defunct now. As with any major new update like this it's a good idea to do a fresh install anyway especially as you again say you've not run it for ages, weeds out all the rubbish.

So how do you unsubscribe from a mod that is no longer in the Workshop? Launcher won't let you uninstall it because it's a Workshop item. Modmgr will uninstall it, but then it just reappears next time you Launch. A bit ridiculous, karma or not.

I'm not wasting time and bandwidth starting over. I have already downloaded rF2 content multiple times due to the beta switching fiasco.

I already suggested you do a fresh install, that's called helping.

Edit: and FYI I help those who are polite and constructive, be lucky you're getting any help with your track record of monotonous whining and sly digs at anything to do with RF2 ;)

One of the errors is with S397 Zandvoort... Two of them are for workshop items that I cannot unsubscribe to because they don't exist in the Workshop any longer....

For example, one of many, I have two 370Z workshop items. ISI_NIssan_370Z_2012* v1.47 and Nissan_370z_2012* v1.93 from S397. Pretty obvious which one I should keep, but how do you get rid of the old one when it won't uninstall because it's a workshop item, but ISI or S397 removed it from the workshop, so neither can you unsubscribe?!?!?!?!

This mess is really unbelievable for the length of time rF2 has been on the market.

AFAIK this mess is due to the dependency issues created by rfmods. Once a mod is dependent on an rfmod, it won't be removed automatically, no matter if it's in workshop or not. New rfmods are downloaded every time you try to join a server etc. So the first step is to remove all rfmods from launcher. I do this at least once a month, as the more rfmods, the slower rF2 loading becomes and the more dependencies are created.

Last edited:
AFAIK this mess is due to the dependency issues created by rfmods. Once a mod is dependent on an rfmod, it won't be removed automatically, no matter if it's in workshop or not. New rfmods are downloaded every time you try to join a server etc. So the first step is to remove all rfmods from launcher. I do this at least once a month, as the more rfmods, the slower rF2 loading becomes and the more dependencies are created.

Thanks--that was the source of the problem. Old mods using old/outdated version of content like the Nissan 370Z.

Now, maybe you or someone can tell me why rF2 is ignoring my weather instructions. I always customized weather in the past (scripted) in All Cars and Tracks various iterations (so I know how to set it and know that it always worked before). Now, I set it to full rain and storms and I get sunny weather!?!?!

What a process just to see what the new rain looks like...

Now, maybe you or someone can tell me why rF2 is ignoring my weather instructions. I always customized weather in the past (scripted) in All Cars and Tracks various iterations (so I know how to set it and know that it always worked before). Now, I set it to full rain and storms and I get sunny weather!?!?!

Could it be that you are setting the weather for, for example, the race session instead of the practice session?

Could it be that you are setting the weather for, for example, the race session instead of the practice session?

I think the weather system is bugged. I tried numerous times to enter a raceweekend with preset "raining" and the sun is shining instead. Then if I press "restart weekend" the correct weather is loaded and it is now raining as it should. This is not build related - this has always been the case. But related to this build: No matter if there is overcast (with no rain) or not the sun is always shining underneath the clouds. Sun occlusion I guess it is called is broken.

I think the weather system is bugged. I tried numerous times to enter a raceweekend with preset "raining" and the sun is shining instead. Then if I press "restart weekend" the correct weather is loaded and it is now raining as it should. This is not build related - this has always been the case. But related to this build: No matter if there is overcast (with no rain) or not the sun is always shining underneath the clouds. Sun occlusion I guess it is called is broken.

Just to make sure, if you use the preset "Raining" that means that during the whole session:
  1. There will be some clouds (a "mostly cloudy" sky) but you will still be able to sometimes see patches of blue sky. Those clouds would not completely occlude the sun typically.
  2. The chance of rain is set to 75% so when you hit "restart session" you will have a decent chance of it not raining.
Now I don't know if this is what you are referring to. If not, feel free to try to explain in more detail.

Yes! I can't believe after using rF2 daily for years that I forgot that part of the UI. But honestly, I have just flushed rF2 UI out of my mind in the last few months of not using it. It is so irritating and illogical in so many ways. I have mentally moved on to other sims. I was really hoping for a total rewrite of the UI last year, when it was originally promised.

I am sorry, but the polish of AMS makes it a more pleasant experience than rF2. All cars feel like they were created in the same sim universe. More realistic and authentic FFB. Proper drive train modelling. Sure, there are a few areas where it lags rF2 (fewer than previously), but the effort to disentangle rF2 is just too much now. For years I sneered at the majority who felt this way and complained about rF2. Sadly, I have joined them now.

I look forward to checking out rF2 again in six months or so if there is a new UI and polished and consistent content. (One of the launch problems required me to uninstall Zandvoort...an official track that should have been completed long ago. It still requires a huge effort to figure out what is updated to what extent.)

Setting up weather for the session in which you want the weather to take effect in, is quite logical imo.

Also I don't see all cars having the same ffb as something more authentic necessarily.
I would understand the consistency thing when it comes to wanting approx. the same performance and gfx quality out of the content, but not when it comes to them having to all feel the same and drive the same way.

Yes! I can't believe after using rF2 daily for years that I forgot that part of the UI. But honestly, I have just flushed rF2 UI out of my mind in the last few months of not using it. It is so irritating and illogical in so many ways. I have mentally moved on to other sims. I was really hoping for a total rewrite of the UI last year, when it was originally promised.
I am sorry, but the polish of AMS makes it a more pleasant experience than rF2.

You do realise that AMS has the same type of user control when it comes to the sessions and weather (if AMS had rain etc) in that the way you choose the sessions. If you choose a nice evening race at 6pm and then start your race session you suddenly find it's sunny and midday. But that is only the practice session etc. But I agree with you AMS UI is much better than RF2's. :thumbsup:

Setting up weather for the session in which you want the weather to take effect in, is quite logical imo.

Also I don't see all cars having the same ffb as something more authentic necessarily.
I would understand the consistency thing when it comes to wanting approx. the same performance and gfx quality out of the content, but not when it comes to them having to all feel the same and drive the same way.

They don't all have the same FFB. They have appropriate and very natural feeling FFB that is also appropriate relative to each other. I have driven real race cars and have owned high performance road cars most of my adult life. At least with my hardware, because it does vary, AMS cars feel and respond more like real vehicles. I never have to learn anything with AMS--just hop in and drive it as if it was a real car. Every other sim out there, including rF2, requires me to make some mental translation between what I want the car to do and what I have to input into the wheel and pedals to get it to do so. Some little tweak or twist on reality. You could turn the sound off and wear a blindfold and be able to tell what class of car or kart you are driving in AMS. Try that in rF2. The FFB there is sublime in some cases, but inconsistent and not relative to each other. rF2 cars don't even all have the same generation of FFB from ISI or S397.

When Reiza updates any core feature or programming, they bother to tediously apply it to all their content. It's called polish and attention to detail and non-chaotic development. AMS is not perfect by any means, but Reiza has appropriately balanced the sim aspects by not over-reaching with complex tire models as iRacing and rF2 did and then fail to implement them consistently and proficiently for months or years. AMS tire model is slightly less complex (better than rF1), but it actually responds like a real tire (temps, grip, wear, etc.). Why do I need more than that? Don't make it more complex until you have enough people who understand it thoroughly and can program it across ALL the necessary variety of tires. Otherwise, we are perpetually in an apples and oranges comparison. Oh, the USF2000 feels awesome. Can't wait for all the rest of the cars to be updated to that tech. Oooops, none get updated and the next car released feels like it's not even from the same sim.

That's what I am done with. Too impatient to deal with all that when there are better overall packages out there. I won't argue though, that when you have a great car (USF2000) and a great track and just want to drive or race AI, rF2 can exceed anything out there. That's why the chaotic development and inconsistent quality of all the content is so frustrating. The potential is there...but it takes a massive amount of work to level it all. Just ask Reiza how much work it is, even with the simpler platform of AMS.

Unfortunately Marc C has summed up my sentiments exactly. I used to shout from the rooftops about how great rf2 is (was), but it's just so much hassle and constant inconsistent quality in graphics and physics that has forced me away. AMS is perfect for me, before any mods are added. An all round completed project. I would love to see rf2 with similar Reiza treatment. (A proper licenced series and inbuilt championship features would be a start).

What killed rF2 for me was performance on the rain with the new updates, specially on the GT3 pack cars. I dialed almost all graphical settings down and it still runs at 30 FPS on the rain, while on dry weather and graphical settings up it runs from 90 to 130 FPS.
I've never seen such an impact just because of rain and new cars.

rF2 at Max settings runs at 5 or 6 FPS on stormy weather for me (20 FPS on dry), while Project Cars 2 runs (at the same location) at 40 FPS on Max graphical settings and stormy weather - (70ish on the dry).

Last edited:
They don't all have the same FFB. They have appropriate and very natural feeling FFB that is also appropriate relative to each other. I have driven real race cars and have owned high performance road cars most of my adult life. At least with my hardware, because it does vary, AMS cars feel and respond more like real vehicles. I never have to learn anything with AMS--just hop in and drive it as if it was a real car. Every other sim out there, including rF2, requires me to make some mental translation between what I want the car to do and what I have to input into the wheel and pedals to get it to do so. Some little tweak or twist on reality. You could turn the sound off and wear a blindfold and be able to tell what class of car or kart you are driving in AMS. Try that in rF2. The FFB there is sublime in some cases, but inconsistent and not relative to each other. rF2 cars don't even all have the same generation of FFB from ISI or S397.

When Reiza updates any core feature or programming, they bother to tediously apply it to all their content. It's called polish and attention to detail and non-chaotic development. AMS is not perfect by any means, but Reiza has appropriately balanced the sim aspects by not over-reaching with complex tire models as iRacing and rF2 did and then fail to implement them consistently and proficiently for months or years. AMS tire model is slightly less complex (better than rF1), but it actually responds like a real tire (temps, grip, wear, etc.). Why do I need more than that? Don't make it more complex until you have enough people who understand it thoroughly and can program it across ALL the necessary variety of tires. Otherwise, we are perpetually in an apples and oranges comparison. Oh, the USF2000 feels awesome. Can't wait for all the rest of the cars to be updated to that tech. Oooops, none get updated and the next car released feels like it's not even from the same sim.

That's what I am done with. Too impatient to deal with all that when there are better overall packages out there. I won't argue though, that when you have a great car (USF2000) and a great track and just want to drive or race AI, rF2 can exceed anything out there. That's why the chaotic development and inconsistent quality of all the content is so frustrating. The potential is there...but it takes a massive amount of work to level it all. Just ask Reiza how much work it is, even with the simpler platform of AMS.

Another AMS fan here, and I agree with most you've said. My solution with rF2 is just to use content that feels right. Even if the only car you like is USF2000 (which is great) then rF2 is worth playing.
I wish it was possible to download only the content I want with rF2, instead of installing everything from workshop and then unsubscribing.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 460 39.2%