rFactor 2 Build 1080 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Build 1080.jpg

Image Space Incorporated have made available the new build for racing simulator rFactor 2, bringing the title up to build 1080 alongside updating the content contained within the demo version of the sim.

Build 1080 offers a number of fixes and improvements to ISI's flagship game including a considerable re working to the server browser in the launcher of the rF2 Steam version of the game. New for build 1080 users can now benefit from a range of new functions within the browser such as searching by track / server name / password protection as well as useful information such as current session and ping results.

Other notable changes for the new build include new controller presets for SimXperience AccuForce, Thrustmaster TMX, and Logitech Rumble F310/F510/F710 gamepads as well as ISI changing the default settings for the sim forcing HDR mode on. Users who do not wish to run HDR and adjust the settings by manually editing GFXSafeMode to 0 and clearing the shader cache.

The new build is available to download now either via Steam for Steam activated copies of the game or through the rFactor2 launcher.

For those of you who have not yet purchased rFactor 2 and are curious as to what the sim can offer check out the new demo featuring Formula Renault 3.5, 1974 Howston Dissenter and Toban Raceway Park. The rFactor 2 demo is available to download on the official ISI website.

Build 1080 Changelog
Usage Notes:

On first loading for any track after updating, shaders will be rebuilt. Expect this to take anywhere between 1-4 minutes, depending on your system specifications.

The Logitech G920 has new firmware that fixes an issue with the Force Feedback. However, because they are not yet selling units with the new firmware, and most users will not be updated yet, we have implemented a hacky solution that we will remove probably with a future build (when we feel more will have updated). If you have updated your firmware, you can disable the hack if you want to, by editing your controller file save and switching the G920_workaround flag to false, and because they changed their names for the inputs, you'll have to bind your pedals.

Build Notes:

FEATURES:
  • Ability to save car class/track/RFM specific AI parameters. (Gizmos on track & car selection page. Global values still editable from session options.)
  • Added Low Speed Information display position gizmo.
  • Added AI DraftStickiness_multiplier to RCD files so can tweak that functionality on a car by car basis (only affects superspeedways)
  • Added average water depth to internals plugin data.
  • Provided a better way in the HDV file to specify AI damper multipliers: AIDamping=(<SlowBump>,<SlowRebound>,<FastBump>,<Fa stRebound>)
  • Made the prefix for warning LED material names configurable in the *cockpit.ini file. Syntax (with default legacy prefix) is: WarningLED=LED
  • User skin directory will now spill over to multiple lines if needed rather that off screen
  • Default gamepad controllers now set various driving aids for an easier experience.
  • Created an Un-Disqualify button for admins to use on the multiplayer vote page.
  • Reason for penalty (if any) is now given in result files and log files.
  • Significantly reduced the effect of Real Road Time Scale on how the track gets wet from rain and dried by vehicles. This makes it work more realistically even when the timescale is set to extreme values like Static or 15x.
  • Added a separate thread to issue FFB commands which is needed for some drivers that block. This functionality improves upon and therefore replaces the old Controller.JSON value "Skip updates", but can also be disabled by setting the new Controller.JSON value "Use thread" to false.
  • Moved in-game server list to Launcher (Steam version only).
  • New controller presets for SimXperience AccuForce, Thrustmaster TMX, and Logitech Rumble F310/F510/F710 gamepads.
FIXES:
  • Fix for skin transfers when using +connect commandline parameters.
  • Fixed static camera orientation not saving changes in Mod Mode
  • Likely fix for occasional dedicated server crash during race rejoin.
  • Fixed occasional race rejoin bug where only 63 laps were restored when it should have been more.
  • Fixed bug where track & vehicle selector didn't register changes when existing page immediately after closing a category branch.
  • Stock car plugin has improved handling of order shuffling due to spun cars. A new variable was added to the CustomPluginVariables.JSON for this plugin called "AdjustUntilYellowFlagState" which controls how long the order may be adjusted due to spinning (values are the same as mYellowFlagState in InternalsPlugin.hpp).
  • Fixed several potential UI crashes when switching between multiple video adapters.
  • Corrected issue where grass skids sometimes did not appear.
GRAPHICS:
  • Reverted back to more analytical headlight model.
  • Fixed soft particle blending and updated general particle parameters.
  • Fixed particle exclusion zones sometimes becoming disabled.
  • Improved particle lighting/shadowing.
  • Improved sun occluder.
  • Static reflection mappers now updated properly between sessions.
  • Minor adjustments to sky turbidity and some cloud albedos.
  • Sim will now default to HDR mode and can only be run in LDR mode by manually editing GFXSafeMode to 0 and clearing shader cache.
MODDING / PUBLIC DEV
  • Camera activation zones can be moved in the camera editor now.
  • Added another track learning method. How to use: turn off fuel, tire wear, & mech failures and enter a practice session with 1 ai. Once in monitor, select that ai and type "ai learn" in the chat back.....he'll then go take a bunch of laps & you can watch him try to get better at driving his line (which will show up in the replay window). When (if) you are satisfied that he's better following the line you can type "ai save" & he'll save that knowledge in the playerfile/settings directory for future use (or it can then be packed up in an appropriate car or track component and loaded automatically from there).
  • TTool: optimized the reinitialization step between custom realtime tests, and also allowed skipping reinitialization completely by adding Reinitialize=0 to any appropriate [CustomRealtimeTest] section in the input file. Note that reinitialization cannot currently be skipped if the starting temperature is changed, due to complexity.
  • Fixed bug in ModMgr which showed duplicate updates for mods with an update.
  • Fixed bug in MAS2 packager which sometimes failed to create a package because it could not detect when a base cmp or mod was installed.

RaceDepartment hold regular club racing events using a variety of content for rFactor 2 and all drivers are welcome to participate. Head on over to the rFactor 2 sub forum here on RD and have a look what's on offer. Alongside our racing events we host a number of mods, setups and discussions around ISI's current simulation.

Do you like the new build? What is your favourite addition / fix / change in 1080? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
dx12 will only be usable on Windows 10, somehow I don't think there will be many people jumping on that bandwagon within the simracing community. Two years from now we will know if Windows 10 is something that will stick around like XP/7 or if it will just go away very quietly and quickly like Vista/8.

DX11 by itself gives around 30% better performance than dx9, it also has much better SLI/Crossfire compatibility than older version. Current major problem with rf2 is that its performance is an absolute joke, which is also why there are so many complaints about the graphics and bluriness. Adding dx12 support simply means that ISI will solve that problem for a handful of people that have moved to Windows 10. Vast majority with Win7/8 will be f*cked and stuck in dx9.

As for VR support - it doesn't require dx11, but it might benefit from it. We already have a 'solution' like Vorpx, but it doesn't work properly at the moment. I imagine Vorpx and other workarounds would be easier to 'hacked' into rf2 if the graphics engine wasn't stuck in prehistoric times of dx9.

I'm not an expert about graphics APIs, but I doubt porting directly to DX11 will solve anything regarding performance. You would have to make use of the new API by modifying the app engine itself, e.g. the shaders, and then comes the problem with mod compatibility. I've ran rF2 since 2013 with GTX 660 and it runs decent. Reflections and shadows one step lower, everything else on max. If I'd now upgrade to 2016 standard gaming GPU (GTX 960) it would most likely run everything on max. I think these performance problems concern a minority of users that run triple screen with not latest generation GPU's.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

I don't believe anyone is talking just a straight port, like iRacing did at first just so it's there before they can roll out the update with it being advantageous. The performance improvement would be extremely welcome so everyone could be running the game smoother and even on higher settings, maybe even give room to some lead on the artistic side so the grass and non-circuit asphalt can be given depth, definition and variety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Graphics wise I need performance improvements.There are some official car/track combinations that result in poor performance (drops below 60fps - which is unplayable) on my system (2600k@4.6ghz, GTX770) with med/high graphic settings. This sim shouldn't require GTX970+ series with pci-e 3.0 for what it looks.
DX11 should provide performance boost (with a help of multithreading?) as seen with iRacing.
I would like to see improved shadows (to the current standards) as currently they look quite horrible, yet it will drop the performance quite a lot when set to max.
After that I would like to see improved shaders for more realistic lightning effects.

Last edited:
Just based on my results a GTX 770 should easily be able to run rF2 close to maxed on official content unless you run in Quad HD resolution or triple screens in which case it's obviously underpowered.
My results show that performance with official content is varying a lot. Combinations of FR3.5 + number of AI cars on Silverstone can produce 120+ FPS , while Atlanta + Cobra (or some other FPS heavy cars) + AI can result in drops below 60FPS. The performance isn't consistent.

• Deleted member 130869

Just based on my results a GTX 770 should easily be able to run rF2 close to maxed on official content unless you run in Quad HD resolution or triple screens in which case it's obviously underpowered.

Same card, 4gb, and likewise, can also run at nearly max. Special effects, shadows, road and environment reflection turned down, 8x filter and AA on level 4-6, depending on content. Honda NSX is somewhat official though abandoned, but due to lack of lods you really can't run a very large grid. With the rest it isn't 60FPS all the time, of course, but it's fine. It's still no eye candy though with so much flat-looking textures, I really hope for good shadows and depth in the future.

Get missing component seem not to work as it should in Build 1080. However if you are using steam you can join true Steam server list and all is working fine. (View up top of your Steam window go to Servers and then join server by using connect tab)

There is workaround to non working get missing component ("Password Invalid" or "package not available".), I can see that some public servers like ~IsR~, -Fun2Race.net- and ISI are working fine.
Remember that If you are using the default ports in your Muliplayer.JSON ("HTTP Server Port":64297 , "Simulation Port":54297) you must also open these additional ports on your router:

UDP+TCP 54297
TCP 64297
UDP 64298
UDP 64299
:)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 114 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 87 9.9%
  • < 3 years