rFactor 2 Build 1080 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Build 1080.jpg

Image Space Incorporated have made available the new build for racing simulator rFactor 2, bringing the title up to build 1080 alongside updating the content contained within the demo version of the sim.

Build 1080 offers a number of fixes and improvements to ISI's flagship game including a considerable re working to the server browser in the launcher of the rF2 Steam version of the game. New for build 1080 users can now benefit from a range of new functions within the browser such as searching by track / server name / password protection as well as useful information such as current session and ping results.

Other notable changes for the new build include new controller presets for SimXperience AccuForce, Thrustmaster TMX, and Logitech Rumble F310/F510/F710 gamepads as well as ISI changing the default settings for the sim forcing HDR mode on. Users who do not wish to run HDR and adjust the settings by manually editing GFXSafeMode to 0 and clearing the shader cache.

The new build is available to download now either via Steam for Steam activated copies of the game or through the rFactor2 launcher.

For those of you who have not yet purchased rFactor 2 and are curious as to what the sim can offer check out the new demo featuring Formula Renault 3.5, 1974 Howston Dissenter and Toban Raceway Park. The rFactor 2 demo is available to download on the official ISI website.

Build 1080 Changelog
Usage Notes:

On first loading for any track after updating, shaders will be rebuilt. Expect this to take anywhere between 1-4 minutes, depending on your system specifications.

The Logitech G920 has new firmware that fixes an issue with the Force Feedback. However, because they are not yet selling units with the new firmware, and most users will not be updated yet, we have implemented a hacky solution that we will remove probably with a future build (when we feel more will have updated). If you have updated your firmware, you can disable the hack if you want to, by editing your controller file save and switching the G920_workaround flag to false, and because they changed their names for the inputs, you'll have to bind your pedals.

Build Notes:

FEATURES:
  • Ability to save car class/track/RFM specific AI parameters. (Gizmos on track & car selection page. Global values still editable from session options.)
  • Added Low Speed Information display position gizmo.
  • Added AI DraftStickiness_multiplier to RCD files so can tweak that functionality on a car by car basis (only affects superspeedways)
  • Added average water depth to internals plugin data.
  • Provided a better way in the HDV file to specify AI damper multipliers: AIDamping=(<SlowBump>,<SlowRebound>,<FastBump>,<Fa stRebound>)
  • Made the prefix for warning LED material names configurable in the *cockpit.ini file. Syntax (with default legacy prefix) is: WarningLED=LED
  • User skin directory will now spill over to multiple lines if needed rather that off screen
  • Default gamepad controllers now set various driving aids for an easier experience.
  • Created an Un-Disqualify button for admins to use on the multiplayer vote page.
  • Reason for penalty (if any) is now given in result files and log files.
  • Significantly reduced the effect of Real Road Time Scale on how the track gets wet from rain and dried by vehicles. This makes it work more realistically even when the timescale is set to extreme values like Static or 15x.
  • Added a separate thread to issue FFB commands which is needed for some drivers that block. This functionality improves upon and therefore replaces the old Controller.JSON value "Skip updates", but can also be disabled by setting the new Controller.JSON value "Use thread" to false.
  • Moved in-game server list to Launcher (Steam version only).
  • New controller presets for SimXperience AccuForce, Thrustmaster TMX, and Logitech Rumble F310/F510/F710 gamepads.
FIXES:
  • Fix for skin transfers when using +connect commandline parameters.
  • Fixed static camera orientation not saving changes in Mod Mode
  • Likely fix for occasional dedicated server crash during race rejoin.
  • Fixed occasional race rejoin bug where only 63 laps were restored when it should have been more.
  • Fixed bug where track & vehicle selector didn't register changes when existing page immediately after closing a category branch.
  • Stock car plugin has improved handling of order shuffling due to spun cars. A new variable was added to the CustomPluginVariables.JSON for this plugin called "AdjustUntilYellowFlagState" which controls how long the order may be adjusted due to spinning (values are the same as mYellowFlagState in InternalsPlugin.hpp).
  • Fixed several potential UI crashes when switching between multiple video adapters.
  • Corrected issue where grass skids sometimes did not appear.
GRAPHICS:
  • Reverted back to more analytical headlight model.
  • Fixed soft particle blending and updated general particle parameters.
  • Fixed particle exclusion zones sometimes becoming disabled.
  • Improved particle lighting/shadowing.
  • Improved sun occluder.
  • Static reflection mappers now updated properly between sessions.
  • Minor adjustments to sky turbidity and some cloud albedos.
  • Sim will now default to HDR mode and can only be run in LDR mode by manually editing GFXSafeMode to 0 and clearing shader cache.
MODDING / PUBLIC DEV
  • Camera activation zones can be moved in the camera editor now.
  • Added another track learning method. How to use: turn off fuel, tire wear, & mech failures and enter a practice session with 1 ai. Once in monitor, select that ai and type "ai learn" in the chat back.....he'll then go take a bunch of laps & you can watch him try to get better at driving his line (which will show up in the replay window). When (if) you are satisfied that he's better following the line you can type "ai save" & he'll save that knowledge in the playerfile/settings directory for future use (or it can then be packed up in an appropriate car or track component and loaded automatically from there).
  • TTool: optimized the reinitialization step between custom realtime tests, and also allowed skipping reinitialization completely by adding Reinitialize=0 to any appropriate [CustomRealtimeTest] section in the input file. Note that reinitialization cannot currently be skipped if the starting temperature is changed, due to complexity.
  • Fixed bug in ModMgr which showed duplicate updates for mods with an update.
  • Fixed bug in MAS2 packager which sometimes failed to create a package because it could not detect when a base cmp or mod was installed.

RaceDepartment hold regular club racing events using a variety of content for rFactor 2 and all drivers are welcome to participate. Head on over to the rFactor 2 sub forum here on RD and have a look what's on offer. Alongside our racing events we host a number of mods, setups and discussions around ISI's current simulation.

Do you like the new build? What is your favourite addition / fix / change in 1080? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Anyone care to speculate on where ISI is headed based on this release? Nothing popping out for me other than not much gained functionality wise with respect to vision for product and at this rate even the reduced scope will take many more years to complete if ever. Just don't see how anything is coming together or how chips are going to start falling into place. Does anyone else see anything converging or any core dependency that will break through a log jam and speed things up?

Regarding the demo material I think it's strange because if Lester didn't exist then Maverick + Toban is all I would drive anyway so what reason is there to buy the aim of course I realize that's just me.

But broader issue is the kick in the teeth some might feel when they demo Maverick as an "example" of historic content which it is not because most of the historic content is obscenely outdated and some even recommended against using so how is the Maverick a demo of historic content? More like a lie.

Edit - Also forgot to mention that update doesn't fix Dissenter AI issues.

Last edited:
Anyone care to speculate on where ISI is headed based on this release? Nothing popping out for me other than not much gained functionality wise with respect to vision for product and at this rate even the reduced scope will take many more years to complete if ever. Just don't see how anything is coming together or how chips are going to start falling into place. Does anyone else see anything converging or any core dependency that will break through a log jam and speed things up?

Well technically the game is already "together", perhaps you should just play and enjoy it as it is. I agree it's not like they are making huge updates to it, but rF2 has all the core features needed and even some more than most of the other sims on market.

I'm not sure what rF2 is missing. What's missing that prevents it from being a racing sim. Is it exactly like AC, pCARS, AMS, R3E, no. But neither are they like rF2. I feel I got my monies worth and if another sim has something rF2 doesn't, then I just race that one, and vice-versa.
My comments aren't just aimed at rF2. The same conversations are found in every other sim forum (every one!). In the xxx forums (xxx=pick a sim), some complain of lack of or not the correct content, or missing features, or inferior AI, or etc. etc.. It seems many want to pick "one" sim and have that sim fill every need and desire - its not going to happen. I will continue purchase most any new sim that's released, and purchase content for all that I own. Then I pick the one that fits my mood at the time and have a go. Every one of my sims (all currently being sold) is worth what I paid for it just as it is, if they are improved is icing on the cake.

One major bonus for me is the colours. The sky is now blue instead of blue green, and the colours are more vibrant without that drab gray/green colouration. I'm not sure whether ISI did a bit of sneaky work on the tonemapping or what, but it's a pretty nice visual improvement.

• Improved sun occluder.
Sun is tuned down just a little. Which gives you more blue and less yellow. That results in reds (vibrant) to be more exposed.

Won't have time to test for a while, but I was hoping that notation meant that there would be greater variation in what full sun, no clouds versus partly cloudy versus overcast looks like. And midday versus non-midday. Everything was muted a bit too much (or too flat relative to the dramatic differences in light that exist in real world. Would be interested to hear impressions of whether this has been improved, but it takes a while to test so many hour of the day and cloud variations!

@Kevin Knorpp ISI recently released a new car and track. Even if these are 'remastered' pieces of content rather than something 100% new, I wouldn't expect major improvements in this build.

Some nice quality of life changes in general which is always great to see. Very welcome indeed. That said I have to question their commitment to 'support' of controllers. Surely it's a waste of work time given the target audience of the product and 'hardcore' persuasion of the sim. :whistling: This time could have been used to work in some other area.

The changes to server browser are a bit annoying too. I've only briefly checked it out last night, so I might be wrong, but I didn't see 'quick' refresh button, I could only refresh the whole list. It's a big problem if you want to know the actual ping of the servers, because every refresh affects your connection and you get inaccurate readings.

Edit: when I get home I will check if maybe you can browse the servers through steam, then the quick refresh will be there via steamworks.

• Deleted member 130869

Regarding the demo material I think it's strange because if Lester didn't exist then Maverick + Toban is all I would drive anyway so what reason is there to buy the aim of course I realize that's just me.

But broader issue is the kick in the teeth some might feel when they demo Maverick as an "example" of historic content which it is not because most of the historic content is obscenely outdated and some even recommended against using so how is the Maverick a demo of historic content? More like a lie.

It could be they will be able to focus on bringing all cars to the same standard, with the tech first and graphics second - but I doubt it -, or some breathing room to further iron out CPM and get different era tires improved.

I'm not sure what rF2 is missing. What's missing that prevents it from being a racing sim. Is it exactly like AC, pCARS, AMS, R3E, no. But neither are they like rF2. I feel I got my monies worth and if another sim has something rF2 doesn't, then I just race that one, and vice-versa.
My comments aren't just aimed at rF2. The same conversations are found in every other sim forum (every one!). In the xxx forums (xxx=pick a sim), some complain of lack of or not the correct content, or missing features, or inferior AI, or etc. etc.. It seems many want to pick "one" sim and have that sim fill every need and desire - its not going to happen. I will continue purchase most any new sim that's released, and purchase content for all that I own. Then I pick the one that fits my mood at the time and have a go. Every one of my sims (all currently being sold) is worth what I paid for it just as it is, if they are improved is icing on the cake.
This man for President! This post sums it all up and since I've adopted a similar attitude in the last few months, I've enjoyed my sim racing a lot more.

No track's aiw (ai fastline) can race good for all car mods so there needs to be specific ai fastlines (aiw) made for any troublesome tracks plus a special physics setup can also prove beneficial. For my personal use i'am in the process of making a "Dissenter" ai fastline and blockline for Road America v1.011sm which will definitely provide the Dissenter a better ai experience.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

No point to move to Dx11 when Dx12 is coming?

DX12 involves a whole new OS with plenty of issues behind it, new hardware too. DX11 will benefit the very massive majority and still be supported by who can be on 12. And hopefully we'll not have to go to 13 as by then, there will be a more widespread alternative of the better libraries unattached to a company like MS.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%