RFactor 2 Benchmark - 780 Ti, 4930K, 1x/2x GPU (SLI), 1x/3x monitors (Surround), 2D/3D (3D Vision 2)

RFactor 2 "Mega" benchmark with all combinations of 1x GPU, 2x GPU (Nvidia SLI), 1x monitor, 3x monitors (Nvidia Surround), 2D, 3D (Nvidia 3D Vision 2), with 2 different graphics setttings ("maxed", "reduced" ).

Using rFactor 2 Build 798, and Nvidia drivers v340.52

My System:
GPU - 2x NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti (SLI) 3GB @ 1163/1750 (7000) Mhz
CPU - Intel i7 4930K @ 4.5 GHz
RAM - G.SKILL RipjawsZ 16GB (4x4GB, Quad Channel) @ 1866 MHz, 8-9-9-24-2T
Storage 1 - SSD- Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB ) (OS and rF2 installed on SSD)
Storage 2 - HDD- Samsung Spinpoint F3 (1 TB )
Motherboard - ASUS Sabertooth X79
Operating System - Windows 8.1 64-bit
Monitor - 3x ASUS VG248QE @ 120 Hz
Soundcard - Auzentech X-F1 Forte 7.1

CLICK HERE FOR BENCHMARK RESULTS -
Red=Min FPS, Green=Avg FPS, Blue=Max FPS
IMPORTANT -
Select the items in the 2 yellow legend boxes in order to customize your graph (compare only what you want to compare, less convoluted. I advise starting with the removal of max FPS since avg and min are the most important, by far) - You can switch between the "Maxed" and "Reduced" gfx graphs with the 2 tabs on the top left

How the benchmark was done:
- Started as soon as appeared on the starting grid after clicking "Race"
- Honda Civic:
- 17 Opponents (Honda Civic):
- Silverstone International:
- Starting Position: 9th (this gave lower fps than starting from the very back)
- Stood still at start waited for all opponents to pass me
- ended after 45 seconds
- Sunny, hot, and dry weather and track conditions
- Start Time: 6 PM

Global Graphics Settings Used For All Benchmarks:
RFactor 2 Config:
1920x1080/5760x1080 @ 120 Hz
HDR: ON
Anti Aliasing: NONE
Sync: NONE
MultiView: ON (when using 5760x1080)
GPU Driver (Nvidia Inspector):
Antialiasing - Mode: OVERRIDE ANY APPLICATION SETTING
Antialiasing - Setting: 16x [16x CSAA (4 COLOR + 12 CV SAMPLES)]
Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: 1
Power Management mode: PREFER MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE

In-Game Settings:
Player Detail: FULL
Texture Detail : FULL
Movies: ON
Rain Drops: YES
Visible Vehicles: 22
FOV: 25
Mirros: ON
Steering Wheel: ON
Number of Effects (Audio): 64
Speaker Configuration (Audio): 5.1 (Windows also set to 5.1)

Maxed GFX Benchmark Settings:
Base Profile - Default NVidia RFactor 2 Profile- rFactor 2(rFactor2.exe)
Texture filtering - Anisotropic filter optimization: OFF
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: OFF
Texture filtering - Quality: HIGH QUALITY
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: OFF
In-Game Settings:

Everything Maxed/Full/Enabled etc.

Reduced GFX Benchmark Settings:
Base Profile - Default NVidia RFactor 2 Profile- rFactor 2 (rFactor2.exe)
Texture filtering - Anisotropic filter optimization: ON
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: ON
Texture filtering - Quality: HIGH PERFORMANCE
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: ON

In-Game Settings:
Circuit Detail: HIGH
Opponent Detail: MEDIUM
Texture Filter: 8X ANISOTROPIC
Special Effects: HIGH
Shadows: MEDIUM
Shadow Blur: FAST
Soft Particles: LOW
Road Reflection: LOW
Environment Reflection: LOW
Wind and Crowd Motion: NO

*All SLI benchmarks are also done using the Game Stock Car (gsc.exe) profile as the base Nvidia Inspector profile. This is for testing a different SLI profile (gave me great SLI scaling in GSC). All other GFX settings remain identical to the rFactor 2 profile based tests.

Quick Thoughts/Conclusion:
- ISI has been doing some good optimizing work as a single 780 Ti can run rFactor 2 absolutely maxed out (1920x1080) with 16x CSAA and still avg around 100 FPS, with minimums no less than 70. Avg 120 should be easy, a setting here and there just a tad lower and 120-144 FPS should easily be achievable.

-SLI seems to scale brilliantly when using 3D mode. 3D and SLI is truly a match made in heaven regardless of settings, # of monitors, etc.

- A single 780 Ti can run the game in triple screen mode (w/ MultiView, HDR, and 16xCSAA) as long as you reduce the settings, but you don't need to go too low.

- Proper SLI support should most likely offer a consistent amount of the "magical" 120-144 FPS while using triple screens, HDR, MultiView and 16x CSAA ("reduced" GFX), but Nvidia and/or ISI need to make that happen as SLI scaling is, for the most part, currently terrible in rFactor 2, except when using 3D Vision where SLI works great.

- In 2D mode, SLI seems to mysteriously scale better in the "Reduced" graphics benchmarks than in the "Maxed" graphics bench when using a single screen, in fact, the reduced-settings-single-screen benchmark is pretty much the only case (other than 3D mode) where SLI seems to have any sort of positive scaling at all in rFactor 2. Clearly an issue as the increased GFX demands of maxed-out graphics settings and/or a much larger resolution (triple screens) should, in theory, really allow the SLI configs to show their strength.

Last edited:
Thanks this is very interesting. I am a complete noob but would like to get your opinion on the best settings for my rig. I play Assetto Corsa and RF2 . I enjoy both and have got ACS running well. I just find RF 2 looks not so good. If you could suggest what you think will give best trade off quality and fps. Thank you for info so far and hope you can help.
Cheers
Jay
I7990x @ 4.4Ghz, 24gb ram, gigabyte g1 sniper, 2 x gigabyte 780 Ti oc, 2 x 250gb samsung
ssd. 3x 27" Asus mons @ 5760 x 1080.

In game: Use "ctrl-f" you'll see your fps in the right top corner. Play with the graphic settings. But keep it above 60 fps at all time. Don't mind the micro-stutter (if you have them) at this stage.

If you are happy. V-sync it at 60fps on video. GPU V-sync doesn't work well with SLI. Multi-view isn't optimized at the moment. So i'm not using it. If you do: Your screens have to be at a 45 degree angle. (BTW: A multi-view tool is coming :geek:)

AC's graphics are "better"/different as rF2's graphics. For me: rF2 is more fluent at 60 fps then AC at 60 fps. (Just my observation) so I don't need 100fps or more with rF2. 60 fps is fine for me. But more is better of course. ;)

Note: some 3rd party track/car combo's are more fps heavy then others. Play with circuit-, opponent-detail or texture details to find the culprit.

if you really want to test you system: try ring tourist v1.81 with the WSGT 2 Meganes. With max AI. :p

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%