rFactor 2: 64-bit environment in next build

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
64bit.jpg

The developers at Image Space Incorporated have announced to be offering 64-bit support on their PC simulation rFactor 2 in the upcoming build.

This is fantastic news for gamers that have a passion to race with larger grids of cars on very resource demanding racing circuits such at the Nordschleife.

On their rFactor 2 website ISI stated the following about the memory usage upgrades:

We've been hard at work recently on the overall experience rFactor 2 provides. Key to this; decreasing the chances of users running out of system memory, and increasing code efficiency with more range for CPU instructions, improving overall performance.

What uses system memory, and why? Well, system memory (RAM) has much faster access times than a hard drive or swap file. Games use RAM to read, write and temporarily store items for quicker access than other storage methods.

For something like rFactor 2, this means every car, race track, car livery, track building, texture of grass, asphalt, concrete – everything you see in the simulation – takes up RAM. The more cars you add (be they A.I. or in multiplayer), the larger the track, or the more detail you have to load, the more RAM is filled.

With a 32-bit environment, it is only possible to allocate to 4GB of RAM. These days, with increased texture sizes, more accurate 3D models – like we have been producing since our first release of Silverstone Circuit – 4GB is becoming a lower ceiling.

A 64-bit environment is a fantastic thing, it can theoretically handle 17.2 billion GB of RAM. By going 64-bit, you effectively take the ceiling off. Systems with 8GB, 16GB or more can take advantage by running on larger tracks, with higher texture levels and more cars.

We highly recommend that upon release, those with suitable systems try our new 64bit executables. However, what about those of you who can’t? Good news! We have also made memory usage gains in 32-bit during this process. Not only will those using our new 64-bit executables gain from this work, 32-bit users will as well, although it is important to remember that in 32-bit, a 4GB limit will always hang over you if you run high texture levels, or many opponent cars. However, going forward, effective use of the swap file beyond the RAM limit may allow you to bypass halted execution at the expense of performance.

Why is it important to have it in a demo? A demo is just to give you a glimpse of the game upon purchasing it.

To unlock all the features/content and more you should buy the full game.

That is sweet!

@Xavier de Carvalho @Dennis Coufal @Gijs van Elderen @Daiman Patel
How about a 24h @ Nordschelfe/VLN tribute club event once the build is out.
We could really test the limits :)
Clios, Civics (maybe to FPS heavy), ISI Meganes (WSGT kills FPS), GT4, GT3, GT2, GT1 and LMP1(for the insane), so there is something for everyone.

If we get 60, 80 or even more drivers out on the Nordschleife my dreams will come true :D

P.S. Pit boxes could be a bigger issue now than RAM.

because you dont want to demo a product thats inferior performancewise to the one youre selling...
If you read the first post, they included all performance gains in the 32-Bit version. The only diffrence will be, that you can maybe run 30 cars only in the demo and 90 cars in the 64-Bit version and that is ok, because it is a demo. 32-Bit will only limit you in terms of grid size.

If we get 60, 80 or even more drivers out on the Nordschleife my dreams will come true :D

Not only your dream :D
But as you said the pits would need to be moved first to the old/classic pit lane. Pleclair will probably not do it, as he seems to be more obsessed with his trees and sidewalk curbs :rolleyes:

But seriously: If someone has the time to create an AIW where the pit spots are relocated (garages can stay at the car park) then I don't see any reason why not to host this event :thumbsup:

Wow thats some amount of cars :D

How did you make the screenshot? I can never select more than 30 AI drivers?!

That's Tosch's work

quote:

"Essington already has 96 garage locations. I added a new starting grid to the AIW (rF2 allows 104 cars), build a new component for Essington and modified the "allcarstracks_10.mas" (Max Opponents = 95, SafetyCar = C6RPC.veh). I was interested how many cars my PC (2500k @ 4.4Ghz) could handle. I reduced the opponent detail to medium and reflections to low. As you can see the fps are down to 20. The framerate is limited by CPU (for the first time I guess
biggrin.png
) but only in tv cams. In cockpit view with 25 cars visible I see 100 -120 fps (smooth as silk).
With 95 AI + player car + pace car rF2 uses 3.2GB system ram. Maybe I attack the 104 tonight (need more garage locations).
wink.png
"

14281438331_b5aa084421_b.jpg

That's Tosch's work

quote:

"Essington already has 96 garage locations. I added a new starting grid to the AIW (rF2 allows 104 cars), build a new component for Essington and modified the "allcarstracks_10.mas" (Max Opponents = 95, SafetyCar = C6RPC.veh). I was interested how many cars my PC (2500k @ 4.4Ghz) could handle. I reduced the opponent detail to medium and reflections to low. As you can see the fps are down to 20. The framerate is limited by CPU (for the first time I guess
biggrin.png
) but only in tv cams. In cockpit view with 25 cars visible I see 100 -120 fps (smooth as silk).
With 95 AI + player car + pace car rF2 uses 3.2GB system ram. Maybe I attack the 104 tonight (need more garage locations).
wink.png
"

14281438331_b5aa084421_b.jpg
Sounds nice. So theoretically we could already run such an event at Nordschleife, but only with 1 type of car?!
100FPS is great and I think you will rarely have to see more than 25 cars, if you go for 5 or more classes.

Hope we get some more grid boxes at the Nordschleife.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 318 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 448 39.2%