rFactor 1 has just been released on Steam

Can anyone confirm if the Devtools (AIW Editor) works ok on the steam version?
I have the old DVD version so it means another purchase for me, but I'll still buy it if I can make use of the DevTools.

The DevTools work okay on the Steam version. I just verified that. I recommend you copy the rFactor folder to create a separate install for development work and directly launch the editor from your explorer.

The DevTools work okay on the Steam version. I just verified that. I recommend you copy the rFactor folder to create a separate install for development work and directly launch the editor from your explorer.

Well if you have Windows 8.1 they DO NOT work and it seems ISI doesn't care. I have asked on their forums and now shelled out now close to 70 Euro for Software for the hope of being able to edit the AIW on an Win8.1 PC...to no avail. It's really frustrating. There are tons of mods which need AIW-Lines to be edited and I simply don't can.

If somebody from ISI reads this here (since they don't care about their own forums): I'll give you 100 Euros if you give me an update for the AIWCAM_Editor.exe so that I can use it on a Win8.1 machine.

Here's the thread on the ISI Forums. 2 years old, several times resurrected:
http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10943-aiw-cam-editor-not-working-on-Windows-8

If anybody knows a solution I would be pretty happy.

Well if you have Windows 8.1 they DO NOT work

I understand your frustration. I have read the thread you are referring to. Is there any more specific information you can share with us about what is happening. You start the AIWCAM_Editor and nothing happens. You mean it does not open (full-screen or in a window, and did you try both?). Could you please try running it with the command line option "trace=3", which should produce output in UserData\LOG\trace.txt and if so, could you please show the last 50 lines or so from that file (usually near the end of that file, there is some hint about what's wrong).

Cheers Marcel,

No worries the silence is an answer in itself. My interpretation is that ISI will likely stay with 1255G and leave the enhanced rF for new steam customers. Since it appears that ISI will allow existing customers (sorry to some DVD buyers) to have a steam key without loosing the old rF ISI activation. Any long time player that wants the rF enhancements can do so without penalty. That's my thinking I hope I am correct :)

Hi Marcel!

First off: Thanks for caring. Yup, I click on it and nothing happens.

Tried it in windowed mode - nothing.
Tried it in XP compability mode - nothing.

So that I get it right... I open the DOS-Box manouver to the rfactor folder and type "rfactor_AIWCAM_editor trace=3" right? Did that and I am not sure if it actually wrote something, but I found this "trace.txt" in the Userdate/LOG Folder.

Thanks again.

edit: The "normal" rfactor.exe runs with no problem btw.

Attachments

• trace.txt
    86.9 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
You can actually see from the timestamp of trace.txt if it was created when you ran rFactor or not, because it is overwritten every time you start rFactor. It seems this could be from your run.

I don't yet see a clear cause from the trace. What I do see that there are at least a lot of smaller problems with the mods you have installed. I'm not saying that's the cause, but as a next step, could you please try the devtools with just the standard content that you got from Steam. And also, please try creating a completely new player profile (move/delete your current one). And keep running with trace=3 just to be sure that we have logging that can help us.

Okay, here is what I did now:

- deleted rfactor and did a clean new install over steam
- created a new "Testplayer"
- copied rfactor_AIWCAM_editor and the Folder DEVFILES into the rfactor Folder
- tried to start rfactor_AIWCAM_editor with "trace=3" command... I only see for a short time the blue circle and it fails to create a trace.text(probably because I couldn't start the program). The only way I can create a trace.text is when I start the normal rfactor.exe.

I even redownloaded the AIWCAM-Dev Files from here
http://rfactor.net/web/rf1/devcorner/ (got me an "rfactor AIWCAM Editor" without the "_" in the name)
and the DEVFILES out of this thread
http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1067686&postcount=9

Didn't make a difference.

- tried it in XP compabitility mode
- tried it with 800x600 in windowed mode

What else can I try, Marcel?

edit: Is there any other way I can viusally edit the AIW?

This is the trace.text which "rfactor.exe" creates (NOT "rfactor_AIWCAM_editor.exe).

Attachments

• trace.txt
    24.5 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Is there any chance that a security / antivirus app is getting in the way here?

As a trouble shooting option you could test your win8 system with a rF light install (non steam version) then drop the devfiles and exe in the lite version to see if it launches on win8. Be sure not to install rF into program files for this test.

Or possibly, If you copy the your working steam rFactor folder from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common" to some location not in "C:\Program Files (x86)\" or "C:\Program Files\"... Of course ensure you copy the "DEVFILES" folder and the "rFactor AIWCAM Editor.exe" to your copy of steam rFactor. Are you able to launch the dev.exe?

Last edited:
Actually, that would have been my next suggestion as well. Try installing and running as an Administrator (to ensure you have full rights to all folders). For the last couple of times I have installed Windows 7 I have made a habit of always turning off UAC (see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...-behavior-of-the-user-account-control-message for a guide on that). I am fully aware that this makes my system less secure, but it makes it easier to have multiple installs of rFactor. Maybe it makes a difference for you as well.

Btw, are you not getting any form of trace.txt when you run the AIWCAM editor? Because that would indicate that the executable stops very early in the startup process, and that might help us pin it down.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 185 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 364 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 506 39.0%