rFactor 1 has just been released on Steam

Very interesting, I just wanted to know if the DVD version can be activated on Steam? I assume it cannot but thought I would ask.

Also I take it from your article that you can run more than 3 controllers now?

I did just send them a email, but that answers my question thanks Marcel. It is totally understandable as there is no way to verify your purchase. It was worth a try!

Thanks for the help Marcel I appreciate that. Looks like I will need to press the add to cart button on Steam.

Already got a response from @Timothy Wheatley which is great customer service. I'm just going to re-buy again, which is no problem. I am late to sim racing so I only bought a DVD of RF1 in 2013 from ebay so there is no way to check. Thanks again anyway Marcel.

Is this worth getting guys? I have RF2 & GSCE and those are great! Is it a bit long in the tooth to go back to?
Just tried the demo, hmm looks & feels pretty good....

GSCE and rFactor 2 are great sims, and as Ole points out there are still quite a few leagues that are running rFactor 1, so from a community point of view it largely depends what kind of mods and/or leagues you are involved with.

If you already own a copy of rFactor 1 I would definitely consider getting a Steam key for it. If you don't, there are a couple of new features that might make the Steam version worthwhile. Obviously the integration with the Steam platform is worth mentioning. If you host a game through Steam, it shows up in their "matchmaker" which can be seen if you open the "Servers" list from the menu in your Steam client. That also means you can easily jump into the same on-line session as your Steam friends (right click and join). Stats and achievements are a nice touch (sure, you can debate if that really adds something for the serious simracer, but it's always nice to compare achievements with your friends). Things like voice chat, and the ability to broadcast video while you're playing are nice, and we added support for the Steam Music Player, which can be mapped to specific controls on your wheel or button box to simulate a "car stereo".

We also took the opportunity to add some features that are not specific to Steam. One is support for 4GB. rFactor is a 32 bit application and out of the box it supports up to 2GB of memory. More recently, big mods and big on-line fields were reaching that limit. Out of the box, 4GB are now supported, which means that you can use large fields of cars and mods with many different models. Also, rFactor had a controller limit of 3. That has been increased to 6 to support people with extensive cockpit setups. At the same time we increased the number of buttons per controller from 32 to 64 (to support large button boxes). Also, for people with triple screens that want to run "realistic" vertical FOV settings, the minimum FOV value now goes down to 10 degrees (from 34) and you can assign buttons for changing the FOV in your cockpit, which makes setting it up a lot easier.

In the end it's up to the individual simracer to decide if this is worth it or not. ISI has made it very clear from the start that they chose rFactor 1 to "test the waters" so they could make an informed decision, from a technical point of view, about also bringing rFactor 2 to Steam. Some people like the convenience of having all their titles in the Steam library, others simply don't like Steam. You have a choice now and I guess that is always good.

The move to steam is fine. What I find interesting is that the steam version has some desirable improvements (ie expanded controller support and the pit stop bug). If I understand correctly the steam version and the non steam version will be compatible online. My question is will there be an update for existing 1255G users if they choose to avoid steam? And if so when will the new features be available to non steam users.

Can anyone confirm if the Devtools (AIW Editor) works ok on the steam version?
I have the old DVD version so it means another purchase for me, but I'll still buy it if I can make use of the DevTools.

The move to steam is fine. What I find interesting is that the steam version has some desirable improvements (ie expanded controller support and the pit stop bug). If I understand correctly the steam version and the non steam version will be compatible online. My question is will there be an update for existing 1255G users if they choose to avoid steam? And if so when will the new features be available to non steam users.
The online version should still be compatible, rfactor still have the biggest racing community outside of RD, the biggest mod amount , the biggest amount of add on tracks and a lot of it ( not all ) is very high quality.:thumbsup: and it runs like a charm on your PC..

Well I bought a Hard Copy of the game and also received a copy with my G27 maybe I'll get a Steam code? However seeing that ISI used Trymedia as the unit to digitally distribute this game and now that company is bust no more nadda maybe this opens the door for ISI to remarket Super League Formula on Steam. I no longer have use of this title due to the fact Trymedia went bust and really liked the game and still think it could sell well as a value based title

I just purchased again on Steam. Looking forward to installing the Virtua LM mod and others now you can have six controllers I wont need to keep changing over my button box and H-shifter. Le Mans here I come.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 456 39.3%