rF2 | Weekly Update Released - Includes VR Performance Improvements

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The latest 'weekly update' for rFactor 2 is here.

In this new update for PC racing simulation rFactor 2, the developers have concentrated on making some small performance improvements to the way the game behaves in Virtual Reality - introducing a new "Hidden Area Mask" feature that prevents the software from rendering pixels outside of the viewable headset area.

This change should hopefully allow VR users some slight performance improvements, although the option only works with certain VR headsets, as explained in the changelog below:

No bogging down! Another week goes by, and we are keeping up the momentum with some fresh updates!

This week we have a handy set of updates for VR users, as well and a couple others minor fixes.

VR - Hidden Area Mask
In this latest update we have implemented the “Hidden Area Mask” in VR.

What is Hidden Area Mask ?

Inside a VR headset the images that are rendered in each eye are ‘rectangular’, yet your eyes only have access to circular cutouts.

rF2 Update 1.jpg

The image below illustrates the area that is outside of your normal peripheral view – the black area corresponds to what is physically blocked by the edges of the headset’s view-ports.

rF2 Update 2.jpg

example using the Vive Pro

So instead of rendering this extra space, that you can’t see anyway, when you enable “Hidden Area Mask” it will block those pixels from even being rendered, as they are outside the viewable space in the headset after barrel distortion is applied. Because the mask prevents the superfluous edges from even being rendered, this may offer a slight performance increase. In our internal tests we could indeed confirm a performance boost.

This option is also configurable in the player.JSON if you encounter any issues with it.

"VR Enable Hidden Area Mask":true,
Set to false to disable

*Oculus SteamVR driver currently does not support HAM.

Changelog
  • Enabled VR “Hidden Area Mask”.
  • Fixed flickering in the VR desktop ‘mirror’ when set to “HMD only”.
  • Fixed paint damage not resetting on ‘restart race’ button in single player.
  • Fixed a sporadic crash that was caused by an error in inter-thread communication with the Steam library.
Known Issues
  • After content install in VR rFactor 2 does not restart. A workaround for now is to restart manually.
  • There is still a black band on the bottom half of the track loading screen.
  • Unrelated to UI, but we are also aware of the erratic throttle behavior of the AI cars, and we are looking into that.
  • Parc Ferme is not working in the new UI.
Work in Progress
  • Add skin download progress bar while on a server that allows custom skin transfers.
  • Config tool sporadically fails to launch up after clicking PLAY for setting graphics resolution, VR or post effect levels.
  • Team creation in the showroom is missing.
  • Material editing in the showroom is missing.
  • Forced setup and/or upgrades.
  • Car (re)selection when on a server.
  • Resume from replay.
  • Sporadic ‘white screen’ when leaving an online session.

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation available exclusively for PC.

Got questions about the sim, or just looking to make the most of your rFactor 2 experience? Hop over to the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment, and start up a new thread today!

rF2 Update 3.jpg

Nice little update, good to see more regular updates starting to appear no matter how small.

I do however wish they'd acknowledge the more serious AI issues instead of "appeasing" the Offline fans by talking about the known throttle behaviour in past Patch Notes (and again today). IMO the Slipstream & Safety Car issues are far worse than the throttle application of the AI and the former is something that should've been dealt with when Le Mans was released quite frankly.

Either concentrate and work on the multiple AI Issues at once or simply wait until you can concentrate on them all, however thankful we may be for the odd fix a long the way they really need to up their game with the AI this year regardless of the fabled "Online Competition System"

(This option is also configurable in the player.JSON ) where in the menu can you enabled VR “Hidden Area Mask” ?
I think it's on by default.

I do however wish they'd acknowledge the more serious AI issues instead of "appeasing" the Offline fans by talking about the known throttle behaviour in past Patch Notes (and again today).
Is this a newer phenomenon or just the eternal jerky behaviour?

Is this a newer phenomenon or just the eternal jerky behaviour?

They're referring to the On/Off Throttle behaviour in Corners, that has always been an issue (since the ISI days) but apparently has got worse recently. Can't say, for all my AI racing in RF2, that I've noticed it getting any worse recently but then this never really bothered me that much in the first place.

Even with SOL AC doesn't look as good to me as RF2 in VR. I have all of the sims which have the ability to be played in VR. R3E would be my 3rd choice after RF2 then AC with all of the extra work that has gone into it by modders. Ac would be my 3rd choice without SOL/CSP and content manager.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 237 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 176 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.3%