Rf2 vs ACC

I've been playing the old RF2 since it came out, but recently lost access to it.

I bought AC recently as it was cheap and I like it but it's much more a game than a sim.

I will be mostly playing off line without spending on DLC, but using free mods. I'd like to race online a bit but can't make leagues.
I race every class without preference. The AI behaviour is more important.

Rfactor2 Steam and Assett Corsa Competizione are currently about the same price, though ACC seems to come with a lot more content in the Ultimate pack which matches RF2's price.

ACC seems more glitzy than gutsy, but Rfactor2 used to be very complicated.

Which would you choose if you could only have one?

there can be only one answer to your question: uninstall ACC an forget its false scripted physics with zero feeling and go happy with rf2

As someone who also plays rF2 I find this fanboi comments laughable.
Wasn't it the Oreca in rF2 who received an update like 1 YEAR LATER because it was unrealistically fast?You'd know if you followed the official forum. I feel bad having to break your bubble but they're all games and you're no Ayrton

Wasn't it the Oreca in rF2 who received an update like 1 YEAR LATER because it was unrealistically fast?You'd know if you followed the official forum. I feel bad having to break your bubble but they're all games and you're no Ayrton
omg, really?? so that's why McLaren constantly refuses to give me its F1 car??
chill out babe, i was talking about physics and driving feeling which is dead in ACC, not a single car bop...try reading more carefully next time

That sounds like a great idea as my rF2 takes too long to load.

How do you do that and does it also work for S397 cars and tracks?

I have a backup folder on another hard drive. I just copy them into the appropriate game folders when want to use them and delete when I don't want them. Problem is, it wants to sync to the workshop items and reinstall them. So you have to have to subscribe, download, copy to another folder, unsubscribe, to stop it syncing and copy back. Where possible I get my addons from outside of the workshop. Something I've been doing since the rF1 days, as all the ISI based sims suffer from increasing load times the more content you have.

Don't know if it works with paid content as I don't have any to try it with.

Thinking about it, it would be nice if there was some sort of 'preload' feature when you start the game to transfer or link the game to only the tracks and cars you want to use for that session.

Last edited:
Hummm, I picked up RF2 yesterday half price on steam and wasn't very impressed (yet).

This will sound negative I know, but i'm going to try it again over the next days.

Wheel setup was a pain.

Needed to remap all the wheel buttons just to get started.

View setup was a pain, didn't even get to the fov yet.

Graphics are rough on the eye's (thought there was a big update to them?)

Sound is not very good.

FFB - This is why i bought it, but i'll be honest I'm not sure I'm feeling the big difference (yet).

I got fed up mucking about with it petty quickly. Out of the box I wasn't much impressed with the content you get.

Plus I have ACC running better than RF2 while still looking great by messing (alot) with the ini file.

I've got 60 fps no problem on a laptop now with ACC using a GTX 980m but wasn't getting past 50 on RF2 with settings that look alot worse (will need to turn them down).

Long story short I tried RF2 yesterday thinking the full game would be allot different to it's demo but was suprised that it seemed just the same. Got fed up went back to playing ACC till 3:00am

Am I missing somthing on RF2, maybe I will find out over the next week.

Currently I'm playing AC, ACC, Raceroom, AMS2 even some Forza 7 on the xbox one x. So I'm not too stuck in my ways :p

i both had them when they got released in early days.
i choose rf2 over acc every single day, even for gt3s.
although development is slower in rf2 than acc, racing in rf2 is pure joyment, the feeling of ffb, even the graphics seems more real for me, acc graphics are beautiful but too cartoon style, the lighting, especially the dusk or the first lights in morning in rf2, just awesome.
rf2 has negatives too, hud, sound, huge loading times, competion etc, but at the end its a racing game and and it feels amazing oh the wheel.

I got fed up mucking about with it petty quickly. Out of the box I wasn't much impressed with the content you get.

Plus I have ACC running better than RF2 while still looking great by messing (alot) with the ini file.

I've got 60 fps no problem on a laptop now with ACC using a GTX 980m but wasn't getting past 50 on RF2 with settings that look alot worse (will need to turn them down).

So you got ACC running great on a 980M (which is a worse card than a desktop GTX 970), which is a bit surprising to hear since ACC is very demanding on the GPU, but fair enough. Paraphrasing, it took you some messing with ini files, so why didn't you do the same tweaking with rF2 then? ACC is by far the heaviest of the current sims, no question. If you can get ACC to run, rF2 is no problem, it's simply a matter of turning some unnecessary effects down (you don't even have to touch any INI files to do that in rF2).

omg, really?? so that's why McLaren constantly refuses to give me its F1 car??
chill out babe, i was talking about physics and driving feeling which is dead in ACC, not a single car bop...try reading more carefully next time

BoP is done way better in ACC than rF2. Not to mention that if you want BoP for the AI in Single Player in rF2, you need to know how to create talent files.
As for driving feeling, learn how to setup your wheel. I jump between ACC and rF2 effortlessly and the physics of the GT3's in both games are very similar.

I was playing AC when I first came from console to PC, I then downloaded ACC and played it for all of 20 mins before uninstalling it ,Iracing is way to rich for my blood , then a friend pointed me to RF2 at first I seen the graphics and was thinking this is going to be horrible 5 seconds into my first lap around Sebring I was hooked I have 5 hours a day on it for the last week , there all great but depends what your looking for .

I spent a lot of today jumping from ACC Ferrari GT3 to rfactor 3 Ferrari GTE both at Silverstone mainly because i only bought rfactor 2 and content this weekend so its a decent comparison.
I can say FFB is clearly better on rf2, its actually pretty noticeable too but the physics are similar to me very similar infact but id give the nod to rf2 if i had to choose one.
Graphically ofcourse ACC as the edge but i also really like the cleaner look of rf2, some games ACC included can have too much port processing.

Between these two and AMS2 im sorted, still feel AMS2 is my favourite overall.
If you want the best overall GT3 sim its ACC hands down.

As for driving feeling, learn how to setup your wheel. I jump between ACC and rF2 effortlessly and the physics of the GT3's in both games are very similar.

Not very similar at all in my opinion. In ACC all cars feel very flat and predictable in their behavior, it seems like there is very little suspension travel or anything going on until you hit a curb. Balance is also very different, ACC (like AC) GT3 cars have a front end that doesn't seem to bite at any point, you just have to control the car with the brakes and gas and if you go too fast into a corner, you simply understeer wide. In rF2, on the contrary, the car feels a lot more alive, like it's constantly actually responding to the changing loads and it's not all about avoiding understeer, you can lose the rear end with careless driving.

Also the technicalities are very different. ACC actually has most electronic aids and systems better implemented, whereas rF2 has the mechanical side simulated and that's about it. Two very different sims in my view, which unfortunately both have some weaknesses still.

Last edited:
So you got ACC running great on a 980M (which is a worse card than a desktop GTX 970), which is a bit surprising to hear since ACC is very demanding on the GPU, but fair enough. Paraphrasing, it took you some messing with ini files, so why didn't you do the same tweaking with rF2 then? ACC is by far the heaviest of the current sims, no question. If you can get ACC to run, rF2 is no problem, it's simply a matter of turning some unnecessary effects down (you don't even have to touch any INI files to do that in rF2).

Hi John. Yeah i got ACC running sweet on just a 980M running at 2560 x 1080 on an ultrawide.

Peeps really need to look into tweaking the ini file, they would be amazed at what they can claw back in performance.

It's not perfect looking but its not bad at all. People only seem to mess with it for vr performance but its also good for lower end kit too. Plus i've reduced the shadow and tree pop a hell of alot as well.

Was working on. RF2 today but couldn't get a steady capped 60Fps even though most of the time the gpu was no more than 60% taxed. Keeps dropping down into the 50s. Did manage to stop some screen tearing by working with the nvidia card settings.

Any tips for getting a smooth 60fps in RF2 are welcome :)

Which would you choose if you could only have one?

In my parallel universe I can actually use both, crazy hey!,and some other other as well, even more crazy!
They are all in my library, they are all my sims, I play them all.
Your question sounds like a question my grand daughter would ask, but she is only 6 years old, so from her it is kind of cute.

Any tips for getting a smooth 60fps in RF2 are welcome :)

Yeah so it sounds like you are CPU limited then, which unfortunately sometimes happens. I'd check the following things to try to get GPU usage closer to 100%:

From launcher video settings (or in-game if using the new UI):

- Limit post effects to off or low
- Turn sync to off (rF2 sync can behave weirdly, so better try off first)
- Limit AA to max level 3 (no use of higher)

Then from in-game graphic settings limit:
- Shadows to high at most
- Visible vehicles to 12 unless you necessarily need more
- Rain drops off unless you drive in rain
- The remaining settings won't do much for CPU usage, can keep most of them maxed

Finally I would check that your CPU boosts to expected frequency while gaming, laptops very often throttle the CPU, either due to hitting thermal limits or in effort to save battery life (maximum performance Windows 10 power settings profile usually fixes the latter).

Not very similar at all in my opinion. In ACC all cars feel very flat and predictable in their behavior, it seems like there is very little suspension travel or anything going on until you hit a curb. Balance is also very different, ACC (like AC) GT3 cars have a front end that doesn't seem to bite at any point, you just have to control the car with the brakes and gas and if you go too fast into a corner, you simply understeer wide. In rF2, on the contrary, the car feels a lot more alive, like it's constantly actually responding to the changing loads and it's not all about avoiding understeer, you can lose the rear end with careless driving.

Also the technicalities are very different. ACC actually has most electronic aids and systems better implemented, whereas rF2 has the mechanical side simulated and that's about it. Two very different sims in my view, which unfortunately both have some weaknesses still.

You have good points there tho I don't agree completely with what you said regarding the behaviour in ACC. At the end of the day the point i wanted to make is that I can jump between both sims without effort as technicalities aside, imo these are the 2 sims that best replicate GT3 physics.

But honestly, I don't feel like replying in this thread anymore, if the OP wanted to pose a question like this, he should've done it in neutral ground, not the rF2 section :whistling: :D

Last edited:
Well, I have both now (got rf2 in this summer sale) and almost 200h in ACC.
I`m in love with RF2, the way the car behaviours is great to me and the prototype cars give me a smile in face.

And about ACC?
I only play because the online, actualy have a great number of players and you can have nice races. In some races, I`m sweating after finish it. The game will have new gt4 cars and that can increase even more the experience in online. In terms of handling the car, RF2 is way to better for me.
To me ACC totally worth if you want online races, not having to expend hours searching for a lobby, league or this kind of stuff. GT3 cars are fun, but not my kind of car and after 2 or 3 races, I`m tired.

I hope to find some lobbys to play RF2 online, if I could, RF2 will be the best sim to me.

Both have strengths and weaknesses, but are both amazing titles.
I know people have their reasons for choosing one or the other, be it time or money or a combination of the two.
I own both, as many sim racers here probably do too.
If you want amazing physics in multiple disciplines then go for rF2. If you love GT3s and a title focused on this series then ACC, plus as has been said, GT4 are on their way, albeit more GT cars.
Possibly the US and Asia tracks at some point too if we're lucky.

It's also the summer sales at Steam now. Could pick both up with some of the older DLC quite cheap now.

If I had to go with only one it would be an impossible decision so I didn't vote. I simply couldn't pick between them.
ACC is the most complete online package out of the two right now, but rF2 has some serious promise if they can sort the online lobbies out. It may tip the balance then.

...learn how to setup your wheel. I jump between ACC and rF2 effortlessly and the physics of the GT3's in both games are very similar.

That's a very good point!
I even want to extend by saying, that I own AC, ACC, and RF2, and the most noticeable difference is that I have to use different profiles in the Simucube software for the FFB to feel right for me. But with the FFB of the Direct Drive dialed in, and once I have setup the cars to my liking, all three titles feel very very similar to me. I can apply the same driving style, and yield the same reaction from the cars.

At gun point, I would still say, that the depth of the simulation in ACC is almost overwhelming (e.g. brakes,...) , and if its only for the GT3 cars, probably the best simulation available today.

RF2 imho has tremendously good interpretation of the sidewall flex of the tyres and in general the simulation of the contact patch. Funnily enough, to me this is only really noticeable when the car is driving very slowly or when working the wheel when the car is standing still.
RF2s main weak point is that it has many excellent cars, while some others just feel plain wrong and unbelievable. Being asked directly, for me, the FFB fall off on understeer is slightly too exaggerated on cars with low profile tyres in RF2, but then again, it only takes a couple of laps to adapt to

AC on the contrary may be most dated in comparison, but provides equal content quality across the board. You can jump from an old Fiat 500 to a Maserati 250F, to a modern Murcielago, or even a GT3, and each car, in relation to any other car, feels believable in terms of power, steering torque, chassis roll, road holding, as well as tyre grip. I've driven many GT3 cars back to back in AC and ACC, and with
the FFB dialed in correctly, there is little difference in it. Yes, the FFB still feels a little bit different, and maybe (probably so) is more sophisticated in ACC, but after few laps, the differences blur.

Conclusio:
If you only can buy either ACC or RF2 now, the solution is simple: Get both, one at a time:)

Uhh yes, that was because they introduced the McLaren Senna which is why all RL LMP2's will also get bopped once the new hypercars replace the LMP1s. rf2 has no LMP1 so to make the difference big enough, they slowed down the LMP2, using a BOP, not a complete physics overhaul as you seem to be claiming here.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back