rF2 Visit Duqueine Engineering - Sim to Real Motorsport

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
S397 have released an insightful review of the recent visit to Duqueine Engineering, showing how the developers continue to work to bringing the sim closer to real life...

With the recently released 'Endurance Pack' DLC for the simulation, a collection of cars from LMP2, LMP3 and the GTE classification of cars came a number of updates to both the physics, tyre model and visuals of the sim, and in order to help validate some of these changes, and bring closer collaborations and support going forward, Studio 397 have spent some time with an up and coming real race team as they continue to work on updating the simulation since taking over development from Image Space Incorporated.

With the visit to Duqueine Engineering now completed, let's have a look at the latest blog post from Studio 397's Christopher Elliot about his recent visit to the real work racing team:

Realism, ‘real life’, “RL” – big words that perpetually bounce off the walls of the simracing interwebs. The community demands ever more realism, and studios respond by investing considerable sums into marketing that aims to validate a ‘sim’ title by positioning it next to its real life motorsports counterparts: Getting a well-known driver to sit in a rig and do some laps is a familiar promotional strategy.

Of course we know it’s not that simple. It takes more than a visual association with “reality” to keep a sim on par with real-life motorsports. The high standards our fans and customers hold us to motivate us as a team to keep pushing. For us, achieving realism is not just about marketing. We believe that the underlying engine that powers our sim is in many ways unique in its vast capabilities to simulate car physics with astonishing detail and fidelity. Translating this potential into the highest level of realism, however, is no easy task. Accepting this challenge means it becomes very important to have access to real-world data and collaborate with the people who are deeply involved in real-world motorsports.

In a previous roadmap, we mentioned our recent visit to Duqueine Engineering in Ales France, where we worked on tuning the Norma LMP3 in rFactor 2.

Duqueine Engineering, whose HQ is situated at the Mechanopôle test track in Ales France, is a dynamic and motivated young company with big ambitions and the drive to push their team to the next level. We had the pleasure of being invited by Duqueine’s Team Principal, Yann Belhomme, and head race engineer, Max Favard. Max is not only knowledgeable when it comes to real-world racing and what it takes to set up a winning car, he also has a solid understanding of and real appreciation for “simracing”. He regularly organizes intense 1- and 2-day sessions in Duqueine’s cutting-edge sim rig to coach professional drivers and amateurs. Drivers benefit from immediate feedback that is partly based on telemetry and partly based on Max’s keen eye for racecraft. Max then critiques each stint and reviews telemetry on the fly with the driver.

Our first visit to Duqueine HQ back in May, which focused on the Norma LMP3 physics and testing, went so well that we decided to meet up again and put our heads together to expand on our initial collaboration. For our second visit, we concentrated on improving the current set of tires used by our GTEs and LMPs. Again, Max Favard’s expertise in race engineering, backed up with very specific feedback and data, proved indispensable. To our absolute delight, Indy Lights and now Duqueine LMP2 driver Nicolas Jamin had flown in specifically to help with this task. He tirelessly test drove every minute change over the course of three days, and his years of experience in multiple racing series were invaluable.

rF2 Roadmap Visit.jpg

Rolling up our collective sleeves, we went through an intense series of sessions to put our tires under real scrutiny, which involved short and long stints in the Duqueine simrig, testing both wet and dry compounds. Following each stint, we exchanged ideas and checked the telemetry data. Several tracks were used as benchmarks, including a slightly earlier version of our newly-released, laser scanned version of Sebring. The opportunity to test this hyper accurate track with an experienced driver, able to put it through its paces, was an unexpected bonus. And we are happy to report that Nicolas, who has driven the track many times in various cars, was extremely impressed with the accuracy in the road details.

rF2 Roadmap Visit 2.jpg

rF2 Roadmap Visit 3.jpg

By overlaying the data from the actual car stints from previous races, we were able to adjust and, ultimately, implement tangible improvements to our current set of tires. Of course data was not the only criterion, we also took into account the overall feel of the car. Nicolas’ detailed knowledge of how the tires behave helped us modify and tweak the end result and get that much closer to achieving an optimal balance.

Making these improvements on the fly relied on our physics development team working remotely in real time. Changes were first discussed at Duqueine, we then exchanged feedback and questions back and forth between teams and repeatedly recompiled the cars. Each iteration was tested with the most recent changes in the simrig until everyone was happy with the outcome.

Although we did take some glossy pics of Nicolas driving rFactor 2 in the enviable Duqueine rig, the really exciting part of this adventure was the close collaborative spirit shown by all involved and the collective interest to improve physics – a hands-on, blood-sweat-and-tears endeavor with loads of coffee!

A big thanks to Yann Belhomme, Max Favard, Nicolas Jamin, and Laurents Hörr (who test drove the Norma in the first session), Jonathan Wagg, and the whole team at Duqueine Engineering for their hospitality and continual dedication – it was a blast! Your know-how helps us push ahead and keep it real.

rF2 Roadmap Visit 4.jpg

You can check out the full blog post on the Studio 397 forum HERE.

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love..!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you think software like rF2 benefits from this kind of collaboration? What are your impressions of the simulation so far? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Wow I'm really impressed and glad I purchased and can enjoy Endurance Pack. For me realism of handling and physics accuracy are most important, so this amount of work and resources put into car's physics sounds like ultimate sim dream:). At least it's seems so for Norma LMP3 and at least partially to the rest of endurance cars as their tires where accurately tuned.

One thing that still bugs me is how accurate Oreca 07 physics are - they don't mention it. I know they where recently updated but from what I read lift to drag ratio is still too low with default aero.

Very nice article and it's interesting to learn more about the collaboration between these teams. It's hard for me to imagine such cooperation not benefitting the quality of rF2 and Sim-racing in general.

I'm finding it difficult to put down rF2, the Endurance pack and Sebring right now; it's just very intensely immersive. If this new content represents the future for rF2 going forward, I think they may be on to something quite good. :)

That is the ONLY way how to develop sims properly - thanks for sharing the insight. I am sure some people found this educating.

Regarding the screen setup vs VR - at todays technology standard the benefits of a professional triple screen or projector screen setup for professional purposes simply outweighs the pros to the early VR systems we have as consumers today.

The biggest factors are resolution, the ability to see with your own eyes and head movements like in a race cars vs the (for some people) motion sickness inducing unnatural way of head movement to look around.
The limitation of having to have goggles strapped to your head vs being able to move and see freely is another factor.
The ease of observing personell (engineer i.e.) in a screen setup is another point.
The much easier way of using actual race car equipment in the sim rig cockpit and seeing, touching them opposed to having them first modeled into the sim to be able to use them and of course the issue that hand motions are not synced with the racing sim when you reach for a specific button is a big hurdle currently.

Maybe at some point technology will be advanced enough that mixed reality goggles will be a possibility where we see our physical racing sim rig AND see the virtual world around it.

It will take some time and a few evolutions of VR to get to a point where it will be a clearly better solution - currently it is not yet. It is the future without a doubt.

The biggest factors are resolution, the ability to see with your own eyes and head movements like in a race cars vs the (for some people) motion sickness inducing unnatural way of head movement to look around.
The limitation of having to have goggles strapped to your head vs being able to move and see freely is another factor.
The ease of observing personell (engineer i.e.) in a screen setup is another point.
The much easier way of using actual race car equipment in the sim rig cockpit and seeing, touching them opposed to having them first modeled into the sim to be able to use them and of course the issue that hand motions are not synced with the racing sim when you reach for a specific button is a big hurdle currently.

You, sir, just nicely touched on all the reasons why I don't use VR.

I've recently started to revisit RF2 and quite impressed with how far they have come since I've last touched it. I will soon be getting Sebring and the GT3 and Endurance packs and spending a good bit of time with the sim. Seems to me that the folks at Studio 397 are going about things the right way! :thumbsup:

For me the use of monitors, on Pro Sims obey a one simple reason the enginners and instructors need too look and interact with the pilot constanly and monitor constanly the inputs of the pilot. Simple.
I think engineers and instructors can still monitor in realtime what's the driver see in VR head set through separate monitors, so low resolution and motion sickness for some people is still more logical reasons.

Its funny to think of someone having motion sickness while driving a professional motion system!!!
Motion sickness happens when movments and forces don't match what your eyes are seeing so if that happens we could say the Sim rig your driving might not be that professional at all cause it's defenitly failing it's purpose.
VR lacks definition beyond 5-10 meters distances and that's why it is pointless for professional sim rigs.
Imagine investing so much on a rig and then not being able to see crisp clear!!!

I doubt any driver will put his career in risk due to the unknown side effects of VR use in long term, I doubt any team would force their drivers to use this too even if resolution was good. Leave it to the dumb masses to adopt tech without thinking on consequences ;)

VR not in professional simulators? Check this article in 2017
https://www.wareable.com/vr/virtual-reality-formula-1-teams-drivers-fans-5554

EXCERPT

This isn't just a gimmick for a sport that's rolling in cash and filled with tech-loving engineers. According to the drivers themselves, it has notable benefits come race weekend.

"It's like having a big screen, all the way around, like three-dimensional," said reigning F1 World Champion Nico Rosberg. "To practise, the more realistic, the better. We had a simulator that was virtual reality and we used a lot of that to prepare for the actual driving. It's very, very important, it's critical, because we're not allowed to test."

While current drivers are enthusiastic about the potential of VR to enhance the F1 experience and help to shave off those precious fractions of a second come qualifying, some former drivers are less sold on the tech's use. "I would ban the entire lot because I don't think it brings anything to the fans at all," former Grand Prix racer and current Sky Sports F1 commentator Martin Brundle said of VR.

"It costs tens if not hundreds of millions of pounds, and I would rather see that come off the ticket prices," he said, speaking with Wareable. "They won't even let me in with a camera to these places, so the fans can't go and see it. You can't go and watch a simulator at work, you can't understand nine teraflops of data or whatever it is. I just don't think it brings anything to Formula 1."

EDIT: Mind you no Oculus or HTC Vive here

Last edited:
I think another factor in this discussion is often over-looked and that is motive. For racing teams or even for Pro-Sim racing / e-sports, the motive is heavily performance-based. For many of us mere mortals, it may be immersion-based and VR can provide a big benefit in that regard but; consider that maybe, greater immersion may play a significant role in improving performance too.

It's been shown that greater immersion can significantly accelerate learning and development of skills but, when the costs of racing practice sessions are so high, alternate methods may be useful.

VR is known to be an instrumental tool in helping some of those suffering from PTSD and/or physical / psychological conditions so, I imagine some of that can be applied to developing and honing racing skills or breaking through mental barriers too. I don't think there have been any specific long-term studies done to date to know for sure but, it seems quite possible based on other developments involving the technology.

I doubt any driver will put his career in risk due to the unknown side effects of VR use in long term, I doubt any team would force their drivers to use this too even if resolution was good. Leave it to the dumb masses to adopt tech without thinking on consequences ;)

WoW really ? U better contact this guys
to safe there life.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%