rF2 | Update for ALL Official S397 Content Incoming...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have been busy!

The Dutch development team behind rFactor 2 have been hard at work so it seems, with confirmation that in the very near future all content, both car and track, produced by the studio for rFactor 2 will be in receipt of the update treatment. Yes, everything in the S397 Steam Workshop is about to be updated in the near future, so league hosts and club race organisers beware..

(Note: Store items are also included in the update).

No drop date for the new updates have been confirmed, but expect it to be very soon indeed...

Edit: Further clarification regarding exactly what this update will include has been given by Studio 397 head Marcel Offermans, which varies slightly from my initial and mistaken understanding. For full clarification, you can see the post from Marcel below:

We are updating all our cars to ensure they look good in the new public beta UI. That does not mean this update (coming soon) will instantly update all of those cars to newer shaders, more detailed 3D models, state of the art sounds and whatever else you could read into this. I had a quick chat with @Paul Jeffrey already to explain. I just wanted to set the record straight. That said, we do have some (I think) really nice surprises coming up in what will no doubt be our biggest roadmap update ever. And we certainly will stay committed to keep improving everything we can over time!
My apologies for any confusion caused!

rFactor 2 is exclusively available for PC.

Questions? Ask the community and post a thread in the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment! If you love racing online, why not check out our rFactor 2 Racing Club - a fantastic place to experience this sim with in a clean, safe and competitive environment.

rF2 Update Coming 1.jpg
rF2 Update Coming 2.jpg
rF2 Update Coming 3.jpg

Last edited:
This is very good news as I had 'Unsubscribed' to a lot of the older content...my Christmas holidays are going to be packed full of trying out all the new 'Updates' for all the Sims I own:inlove:...not sure whether there is going to be enough time to try all of them:(:D....24 hours in a day though and no work tomorrow:)

This could potentially be a bit of an overhype.

In case it was not (which probably it is) I surely hope that it would be not nords, but lemans quality... It is quite obvious.

I also hope that if there are any changes for physics of older content (such as made by ISI) I hope it doesn't loose it's essence, because I prefer ISI philosophy of what the handling of car is like. With few arguable exceptions.

Uumm this is not a news worthy announcement, it's merely getting UI areas of the cars/tracks ready to work with the upcoming new UI, things like Thumbnails and stuff. @Paul Jeffrey you might wanna lower the expectations a bit ;)

As just posted on discord in reference to this "News":

"The sole purpose of this"car/content update" is to make it work in the new UI environment, it was not targeted at saying "we update all content" in terms of physics, visuals, shaders etc"

Let me just rectify something here. We are updating all our cars to ensure they look good in the new public beta UI. That does not mean this update (coming soon) will instantly update all of those cars to newer shaders, more detailed 3D models, state of the art sounds and whatever else you could read into this. I had a quick chat with @Paul Jeffrey already to explain. I just wanted to set the record straight. That said, we do have some (I think) really nice surprises coming up in what will no doubt be our biggest roadmap update ever. And we certainly will stay committed to keep improving everything we can over time!

I also hope that if there are any changes for physics of older content (such as made by ISI) I hope it doesn't loose it's essence, because I prefer ISI philosophy of what the handling of car is like. With few arguable exceptions.

Ask me the best Historic was very early builds, sometimes when ISI did tyre or fixed something for other cars it affected the Eves

Since then still have poor little F3 AI screaming to 10,000 before they shift.... all torque is gone, if you actually drove them like that they would blow up every race

I agree 101% with you on essence, class of their own

Oh, too bad... it was just the thumbnails for the new UI.

I was already dreaming about an updated Toban track with the lovely trees from Nords and its
ultrarealistic asphalt... and a new Dissenter with better graphics...

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
And the UI ?!?!

Studio 397 and Kunos are diametrically opposite. I don't mind getting early access or beta software, what is important to me is just getting something to work with. Even my steam version is beta and I regularly run beta drivers for my hardware. I know many are of the opinion it'll be released when it's finished but someone once said that art is never finished only abandoned and software is indeed art.

Put the UI in the beta channel, they already said this much. So put it out lets get to use it. Look at iracing and their AI. Get it out there in a limited control fashion and work with it, similar to Kunos and 1 track 1 car during early access.

I'm not ungrateful to S387. I love RF2 but you can't keep people hanging on "coming soon" or near future. Stop coming and come. Provide timelines and targets, if you can't make them then reassess and update. This is standard business processes.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 81 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 314 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.4%