RF2 the more complete/polished sim out there?

Msportdan

@Simberia
Ive always had in my mind, that RF2 was always a bit of a krypton factor, when it comes to making the sim work how you want it. But with the recent release of PCars and RRe, and the constant messing with, especially FFB settings to get right, i don't think this is the case any longer.

Ive spent more hours in the FFB menus than i have driving both of those sims its ridiculous, and still haven't found a good feel for them. Its beyond frustrating !

Last night i booted rf2 picked the cobra set the weather app, picked AMP then off i go. With great gfx and FFB out of the box. Ive barely tweaked even my PLR file. I mean i turned on Fixed setups etc for the AI, and increased their mistakes, but no endless pathetic FFB tweaks.

and that i want to thank ISI for, you've made a very complex sim very accessible in your recent builds.

Rf2 imo isn't such a mystery anymore.

well maybe just the package format baffles me lol!?

Dan

I feel exactly the same Dan. I fired up RF2 for the first time in a few weeks the other night with the updated URD content, picked Sebring did some vehicle setup tweaks, then on the track for the most fun driving I have had in weeks.

I feel dirty that I cheated on my one true love with the dog of a game PCARS.

You feel like you are driving the cars rather tuning a system to how you prefer it, and still never getting the right feel.

AC, PCars and R3E are all examples of this kind of not really knowing what direction to take with the physics so they end up leaving it to the consumer which is a cop out in my book.

I agree that rF2 has become more accessible recently. After getting frustrated with endless settings and tweaking, I didn't use it for ages. But just yesterday I fired it up for the first time in months and for the very first time since I bought it, it just felt right. I got out on track and was driving in no time, and it was a very enjoyable experience. Finally.

The funny thing is it has gone from being the most daunting to probably the easiest in terms of the cars feeling right.

There is no messing with wheel rotation, individual sliders for specific effects essentially nothing to change.

All I usually do on my wheel is increase the caster angle a bit, that is essentially it apart from actual setup changes.

Once you have tried to setup the FFB in R3E or Pcars correctly you realise how brilliant RF2 is in this regard.

It will be on console next because it so noob friendly.

Well you Three have obviously forgotten my posts from a few months ago. Although not so much the FFB but I probably spent a month getting RF2 to my liking.
Don't try and come back into the fold now Jim. It is well documented that RF2 was your favorite but now it seems you have a new mistress.

RF2 does stake a bit of work initially, but once you are set you are good to go and you can be confident that you are driving the cars the way they were designed.

It is the only sim to do that for me at the moment.

Don't try and come back into the fold now Jim. It is well documented that RF2 was your favorite but now it seems you have a new mistress.

RF2 does stake a bit of work initially, but once you are set you are good to go and you can be confident that you are driving the cars the way they were designed.

It is the only sim to do that for me at the moment.
Yes well check under my forum name, I still mention RF2 so love is still there. Seriously I'm disappointed with RRE, I don't like AC and I'm all FFB'd out with Project Cars! so I'm playing Euro Truck 2 at the moment. I work 12 hours shifts and I just can't face another night of drive a lap change a setting drive a lap change a setting drive a lap change a setting.

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys, but I've been enjoying it since I had it when the last b946 was released. :D Of course I had to go through loops to set it up (perhaps not yet perfect) but so much easier to get it running great. ;)

But wait a minute, why the sudden boom, was there a recent build update? :confused:

I don't know about you guys, but I've been enjoying it since I had it when the last b946 was released. :D Of course I had to go through loops to set it up (perhaps not yet perfect) but so much easier to get it running great. ;)

But wait a minute, why the sudden boom, was there a recent build update? :confused:
You might want to read my new thread in Project Cars to find your answer.

Ive always had in my mind, that RF2 was always a bit of a krypton factor, when it comes to making the sim work how you want it. But with the recent release of PCars and RRe, and the constant messing with, especially FFB settings to get right, i don't think this is the case any longer.

Ive spent more hours in the FFB menus than i have driving both of those sims its ridiculous, and still haven't found a good feel for them. Its beyond frustrating !

Last night i booted rf2 picked the cobra set the weather app, picked AMP then off i go. With great gfx and FFB out of the box. Ive barely tweaked even my PLR file. I mean i turned on Fixed setups etc for the AI, and increased their mistakes, but no endless pathetic FFB tweaks.

and that i want to thank ISI for, you've made a very complex sim very accessible in your recent builds.

Rf2 imo isn't such a mystery anymore.

well maybe just the package format baffles me lol!?

Dan

I am a person who enjoys sims over arcade games. I lead an extremely busy and happy life (career, hobbies, family)and that makes me an "arrive and drive" type of gamer. From my perspective rF2 has improved immensely in the recent build (946?) for ease of use and understanding.

I still think the rf2 game needs the many editing options made more accessible to a general gamer like myself. The FFB and AI improvements come to mind. The threads at the rF2 forum are very useful but were a PITA to find and implement. If these and other settings were in the options setting it would show how this game is truly on the cutting edge of realism and customization.

enough of my jibber-jabber! have a good weekend, all
:)

I still think the rf2 game needs the many editing options made more accessible to a general gamer like myself.

Then you'll end up with more tweaking then driving. :roflmao:

Just look at the race-settings options you have in the player.json: click here

and these are not all the option available. :whistling:
There are a lot of other option regarding to parc fermé settings, safety-car setting and other options in the rfm file. it requires a Vmod to make these happen:
Lucky dog, longest line, overtaking only left or right during a full course yellow, laps pit closed, Laps pit open, leader pit first, how to finish during a full course yellow: finish, X-laps added and this X times. Will full course laps be added or not added to the race distance. Formation laps single file, double file. Overtaking allowed at green or when you cross the start/finish line. etc
Pit group order: which cars will share a pit-spot.
Parc fermé before quali or after quali. Will your fuel level reset after quali, or will your fuel use of quali be subtracted for the race. Tire choice open, not open, must use different compounds, when will rain-tires be available. DRS use: usable everywhere or only on the DRS zones during practice, quali or race. So a F1 style quali DRS available everywhere during quali and only in the DRS zones during the race and/or practice....
Formation lap speed, pit speed during practice, pit speed during race,...
What safety-car you'll use...

... :whistling:

There are a lot of other option regarding to parc fermé settings, safety-car setting and other options in the rfm file. it requires a Vmod to make these happen:
Lucky dog, longest line, overtaking only left or right during a full course yellow, laps pit closed, Laps pit open, leader pit first, how to finish during a full course yellow: finish, X-laps added and this X times. Will full course laps be added or not added to the race distance. Formation laps single file, double file. Overtaking allowed at green or when you cross the start/finish line. etc
Parc fermé before quali or after quali. Will your fuel level reset after quali, or will your fuel use of quali be subtracted for the race. Tire choice open, not open, must use different compounds, when will rain-tires be available. DRS use: usable everywhere or only on the DRS zones during practice, quali or race. So a F1 style quali DRS available everywhere during quali and only in the DRS zones during the race and/or practice....

I press pedal and go fast.:)

Pc is for the tweakers, console is for pluggers and players
That's true for the most part. The biggest complainers, not saying its not justified, of Project CARS is the console crowd. They are not use to tweaking and options. Most PC gamers are happy opening various INI files to further tweak a game.
I like rFactor 2, and all the others, but it would fail miserably if released on the consoles. While many of the console gamers want sim physics/features they also want plugNplay. Also, a game's story or reason to play outside of strictly racing is needed to be successful on the consoles. I have raced pCARS for a couple years and have only raced career races a handful of times. For the console crowd the career and achievements are everything.
Unless AC vastly improves their career and achievements (virtual pats on the back) it will not sell well on the consoles - no where near GT or Forza.

I often bite my tongue when reading comments from people curious enough to want to use rF2 but don't want to use it how it is intended. It seems individuality is not seen as something to be embraced, but rather spurned and I really struggle to understand why.

If I'm not understood correctly, then I'll sound elitist but that is so far from my intent. Humbly I'll just suggest that I would like more sim in my sim and less game in my sim. We have a multitude of games to play but only one sim and I want it to be different and special... a bit quirky. When you develop for mass markets, you exponentially increase compromise and to be frank, I'm a bit a bit sick and tired of compromise in this area.

It seems to me that there are people that want it to be more like other titles because it's easy and familiar. Jump in and race because I'm time limited. Well you are already catered for. You have a multitude of titles you can race within that scope. For me, who has manipulated my life to fit around my racing, I want the full gamut of experience that a race weekend provides at my local track. I want to customise the tracks, the cars, the rules, all to fit a specific scenario.

I want and need this as I'm unable to go to the track any longer and this bit of software is the only thing in this world that can provide me the same spectrum of experience as those track days did.

This is software for life, not a game!

You misunderstand what I am saying...
:rolleyes:

Yes, we know that rf2 has all these features and more that put it at the front of sim games. Accessing the options or info to set the options is where I would like to see improvements.
;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 223 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.7%
  • < 5 years