RF2 Sim Racing Expo News

Paul Glover

I talk lots
RF2 Nords.jpg

This weekend at the Sim Racing Expo Studio 397 have provided rFactor 2 fans updates on two long awaited additions.

At the expo in 2018 we first heard that the famous Nordschleife would be coming to the sim, a year later fans have been asking where the track was. Recently Studio 397 hosted their own 24 hour at Le Man that was to be red flagged due to performance issues, therefore much of their focus has been understanding these issues and working to resolve them so you could understand if the track was delayed.

It was pleasing to hear that they had an update for us, they have said the track should arrive in the next two to three weeks along with a new Porsche Cup.

rFactor 2 fans have also been wondering where is the teased new UI, well Studio 397 have for the first time allowed fans to see what it looks like and broadcast a live video from the expo which is available on their Twitch channel. They have not given any hints to when it will be released.

As well as these two updates we are also expecting a second update to the game which is to further improve performance and stability, therefore lots of excitement ahead for the game. So watch this space!

I don't view constructive criticism as "hate", so the lecture as uncalled for...I'm talking about the "haters"

A simple but important distinction.

In German we say "Der Ton macht die Musik" ("The Tone makes the Music"). Should mean that not the critic should be the problem, but the way it is declaimed. Some people think that the anonymity of the internet gives them the right to behave like Assholes. Critic should be constructiv. If you have a critic, say it in the right way and say how you would make it better.

The problem is not building the new HTML interface, but making it possible for the new UI to work with the legacy code.
Probably that is bigger challenge because building HTML UI of rf2 scope (or any racing sim for that matter) is not something that should take years.
Anyhow I have yet to see a project that takes 3 years for rewriting.

The track looks great, but Studio397, please,improve these trees and vegetation. Even Lemans where the track is a high quality standard the trees look flat and with a wrong lighting. Studio397 should really address this issue in all the tracks.
If you have the time to looks at trees and vegetation, you're driving, not racing. Push it to the point where your brain no longer picks up anything but 2 thin white lines on the edge of a thick black line.

Than why are there trees at all?
Are you suggesting this is a driving simulator and not racing sim?
The other way around, it's a racing sim and not a driving sim.
Ofc I'm exaggerating here but I know that if I'm in a race, fighting other cars, focusing on hitting my points, trying my very best to get around the track as fast as possible, my brain just doesn't think "oh man, I wish that tree was 3D instead of 2D" or "oh, I wish that tree had a better shader or higher res".

Same goes for the water spray in the rain when you're behind another car. It looks frekkin horrible in TV cams but from within the car the experience feels pretty realistic.

I'm sure you get my point here. It would be nice for spectators and photos but it wouldn't have a very big impact on the racing experience.

Then there is the performance hit but that's a story for another time..

Being fair to Kunos, their management of the forum seems to be on good balance. As most know, I've been fairly critical of their handling of ACC (mainly on the MP, as the physics are absolutely sublime) and they were OK with it in their forums.
I believe there are certain ways to address points, and having seen users being caustic to the game *and* to kunos devs as well, and they are still hanging around, I'm not totally sure where if that reputation is deserved.

As for rF2 content. What I've tried in SRE19 was pretty great. I'll be paying more attention to it.

@randomcallsign

I know 100percent way to get banned in Kunos forum. Have different opinion than it is usual there about something, be active and persistant about it, get 10-15 biggest fanboys around starting destroying you and just simply disrespecting. Best way for staff to restore peace in the forum will be to ban you, even if you have good arguments and aren't generally offensive and even try to balance criticism with good words..., but if you'll triger fanboys it will be enough, instant RIP. It actually makes sense, why calm 15 guys, when you can just remove one :)

But it wouldn't happen for you :)

Some guys here are really defending (graphics) quality issues of a paid DLC with "put your brain into a state, where you didn't notice it anymore"? :roflmao:

It's not really defending, it's more like I understand that some corners have to be cut.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love 3D trees with each individual leaf movement being calculated with the wind as much as the next guy or better rain, better lighting. Hell, I want bees flying abound with their small buckets, collecting honey, I want god rays so sharp I can see in to the future and on top of that I want laser scanned physics and a wizards hat.

But all this comes at a cost and as i said, some corners have to be cut. Trees are a perfect example, there is a lot of them and having them in 2D instead of 3D has a major impact on performance but not so much on the experience so that's a very good corner to cut.

perhaps you meant to say the easy way was to send PMs to all the mods begging to be banned for "one year or 6 months".. which is what they did :D

one day I'll write a book about some of you guys... really.

True - happened once. False - happened on different occasion, because second time was different. I was just way too happy about car handling of AC 0.1, not as much as for AC 0.2. That led to unnecessary friction with fan(boy)s, and failed attempts to get discussions about realism happening. At the end I agree with the ban, it was right thing to happen, but I didn't ask for it that time, and basically it was rude. But I am ok with it because apparently no productive civil discussion could have happened anyway, I should have simply stopped trying and actually asked to ban me that time again to have no possibility coming there again, but it did happen naturally, so whatever.

I just wish for more interest in the fundamentals of simulations other than "I like FFB/I don't like FFB". Who else is going to bring best possible simulation realism if not the demand of users. I used to think that naturally simracing titles end up with remarkable similarities because of all trying to replicate same thing. But now I think that it is not going to happen, what will happen is that there will be different simulation kinds for different perceptions of reality, and the truth is going to be hard, or not even possible to prove. And it will be more meaningful to discuss best pizza in simulation forums, rather than for example mechanics of tankslappers.

Sorry for lots of text. Thats why I ask for bans, so I could not do this :D

And great idea on the book, I bet lots of interesting topics and memories, even if only about experience from forums.

I'd love 3D trees with each individual leaf movement being calculated with the wind as much as the next guy or better rain, better lighting. Hell, I want bees flying abound with their small buckets, collecting honey, I want god rays so sharp I can see in to the future and on top of that I want laser scanned physics and a wizards hat.

It is not about 2D or 3D, it is about colour palette and lighting and you can't fail to see it, when driving in rF2 at noon. Setting the time at 7 pm, and it is pretty fine, for some reason.

(I don't care about texture sharpness, this is also not better with other sims)

True - happened once. False - happened on different occasion, because second time was different. I was just way too happy about car handling of AC 0.1, not as much as for AC 0.2.

bha... checking your messages I don't see anything at all that could have resulted in a ban, just ordinary stuff and discussions, but I definitely remember your super weird multiple PMs begging for a ban :p

So ya, hopefully you'll forgive me if I simply don't believe you and go on with my day while keeping you firmly in the "weird guy" category... now please carry on with your explanations about how bad and unjust our forum is.

sorry for hijacking the thread, OT over for me.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 227 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 154 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 218 14.2%