rF2: Road America Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RoadAmerica_Full_loading-800x450.jpg

A scratch made version of Road America for rFactor 2 has been released recently featuring all the latest goodies available in ISI's premium simulation, namely working RealRoad and updated shaders and graphical improvements.

Originally started by Dennis Grebe, best known for his Virtua_LM track development of Le Mans, Fuji, Nazareth, and Topeka tracks for rFactor 2, the project was taken over by SimHQ Motorsports track developer Alex Coutie when it became apparent that development and release of this mod could not be worked on to a satisfactory level whilst still maintaining development of other projects ongoing with the tracks inital creator.

A fan favorite, Road America is sure to be a popular addition to the sim and fits perfectly with the StockCar and IndyCar content released by ISI.

Established in 1955, Road America is located midway between Milwaukee and Green Bay in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. Its legendary four-mile, 14-turn road circuit has challenged the world’s best racers for over 57 years. The 640-acre, park-like grounds offer amazing viewing opportunities, fantastic concessions and high-speed excitement to thousands of spectators each year. In addition to public race weekends, Road America offers group event programs, the Road America Motorplex for karting and Supermoto, and the Road America Motorcycle and Advanced Driving Schools.

Will you be downloading the track to try yourself? Leave you impressions in the comments section below!

Download Here @ RaceDepartment

Last edited by a moderator:
I am all about the racing but it does look very cartoonish to me also. I don't know if the other version is a rip. Just did a league race on it and it is a good track.

The track works, I found my way around it easily enough despite incorrect elevations, the AI is on the slightly slow side compared to other tracks. Someone identified a possible reason for the slow AI, but I haven't investigated.

I am all about the racing but it does look very cartoonish to me also. I don't know if the other version is a rip. Just did a league race on it and it is a good track.

Other versions are, to use a charitable phrase, enhanced imports from another game (Grid?). At this point, even though they have pavement that is too wide, I tend to prefer them to this scratch release because the elevations are certainly closer to reality.

Now if someone merged the road textures from this version with the terrain of the other version, we'd be another notch closer to nirvana, but still a ways from, say, iRacing.

Now about the elevations... I'm really surprised they're so off since there are at least two sources of reasonable elevation information (official competitor track map with elevations at each corner http://www.roadamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/maps/CompetitorMap_2015.pdf and GPS trace from bicycles http://veloviewer.com/segment/2155354/Lap+of+Road+America to fill in the straights) that can be reconciled against each other. Plus Google Earth. Sadly, no government aerial lidar survey yet.

Last edited:
I too prefer senor man /digga's version. For some reason on this track the ai one of the ai cars would slow down dramatically on the home straight for no reason ... I had to quit. Downloaded senor man's Road America and had no such problem. I thought his version looked better too

• Deleted member 130869

I'm very interested in the SimHQ release because the base geometry was made by ethone (I think, not sure of the username) but the visual aspect is quite lacking. From color balance to textures of trees, grass and asphalt. But I have faith on an update. I'd rather drive this over the Señormen/Digga conversion given the better geometry and proper road resolution/geometry work but I'll have to settle for the conversion instead.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 372 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 515 39.0%