rF2 | Portland Released, GTE Updated And More

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have dropped a sizeable new update for some content within rF2 - as well as finally adding the free Portland International Raceway circuit!

That's right, after a considerable amount of time in the works since it was first announced many moons ago, rF2 racers now have access to the lovely Portland International Raceway within the sim - complete with all the latest shader technology, and it's free!

As well as Portland, other highlights from the last 24 hours include a revised and updated Silverstone, plus many changes and updates to the various GTE specification cars following the successful Virtual 24 Hours of Le Mans event.

rFactor 2 Update Details:

Cars

Aston Martin Vantage GTE v1.55

• New minimum rear ride height of 50mm
  • Reworked and adjusted aerodynamics (mainly higher sensitivity to ride height changes)
  • Fixed high oil temperature threshold for engine lifetime calculations
  • Higher maximum differential preload
  • Longer engine longevity at higher rpms
  • Corrected fuel density (for internal fuel mass calculations)
  • Reduced engine braking
  • Small adjustments to anti-stall logic (used when auto clutch aid is enabled)
  • Radiator cooling options are now visible as steps in the pit menu
  • Increased damper travel to allow more suspension compression before hitting the bump stop
  • Increased maximum packer stack thickness to 60mm
  • Increased brake disc lifetime
  • BoP adjustments to weight engine power and fuel tank capacity
  • Adjusted fuel consumption
  • Fixed loading error when position light upgrade set to OFF
  • Adjusted car inertia
  • New default setup
  • Added 24 Hours of Le Mans Virtual Liveries
  • Updated in-car dash

BMW M8 GTE v2.05
  • Reworked and adjusted aerodynamics (mainly higher sensitivity to ride height changes)
  • Reduced engine braking
  • Increased damper travel to allow more suspension compression before hitting the bump stop
  • Adjusted car inertia
  • New default setup

Chevrolet Corvette C7.R GTE v2.45
  • Reduced engine braking
  • Adjusted car inertia
  • New default setup
  • Updated in-car dash

Ferrari 488 GTE v1.55
  • Fixed gear ratios for standard package
  • Reduced maximum differential preload torque
  • Adjustments to standard aero package
  • Increased engine lifetime
  • Adjusted gear change delays
  • Adjusted car inertia
  • New default setup
  • Updated in-car dash

Porsche 991 RSR GTE v2.45
  • Reduced engine braking
  • Adjusted car inertia
  • New default setup
  • Updated in-car dash

Oreca LMP2 v2.17
  • New default setup
  • Updated in-car dash

Tracks

Silverstone v2.02

• Full update to all latest shaders and techniques on all materials
  • Complete overhaul of terrain, road and foliage materials
  • Added Endurance layout with extra lighting at night
  • Added Historic Chicane layout using alternate Stowe Chicane and old pits
  • Adjustments to various curbs for accuracy
  • Added many extra objects and replaced generic props with newer assets
  • Revised advertisements
  • Added outer terrain and replaced static horizon
  • Added Digital Flags
  • Optimized collision meshes

Portland International Raceway v0.91
  • All new version of Portland with full PBR

In other rFactor 2 news, the studio have also released the livery pack used in the recent virtual Le Mans 24 Hour event, which will be free to users who own the content within the sim.

... and if you don't own the content, now is a good time, as rFactor 2 recently launched their Steam Summer Sale, with plenty of discounts included!

Original Source; Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available exclusively on PC.

Want to know how to get the best from the sim? Start a thread in the rFactor 2 sub forum and let our community offer you the benefit of their massive combined experience.

Portland Header.png

I haven't played rF2 for a while, so how do I know which DLC Iv'e purchased ? Any other game in my Steam Library if I click on a DLC it will say , this DLC is already in your Library. rF2 maybe , not sure, but it looks like they will allow you to purchase the same DLC item, multiple times? Is this so?

Yes, the way they have it setup you could in theory buy the same item multiple times. I don't know other than manually launching the game and look at your content you have to compare with available DLCs

I haven't played rF2 for a while, so how do I know which DLC Iv'e purchased ? Any other game in my Steam Library if I click on a DLC it will say , this DLC is already in your Library. rF2 maybe , not sure, but it looks like they will allow you to purchase the same DLC item, multiple times? Is this so?
Steam was updated a while back so the item store should now show you which items you already own. At least on an individual item level it does.

I'm tempted to finally buy rF2. I still think some of the DLCs are overpriced, however.
Do you own iRacing?
Next question, do you own a £1500 PC with the latest RGB tampered glass case, i7, RTX 2080 with direct drive wheel, 20/80 rig - if so, then congrats, you earned the right to bitch about the price of rF2 content like what most of these gamers do

Something for you, I never pay full price

omg, my literally favorite track !!! :confused::thumbsup:
Shame I don't have rF2 anymore :unsure:
Did you Lando Norris uninstall?

Great stuff, guys. As I said a few times already, eSports is doing a lot of good for rFactor 2 development. They will keep improving the Sim faster than ever, and rFactor 2 will
become the best undisputed Sim ever.

By the way, I still haven't bought the Ferris GTE because am waiting for the GT3... I read
somewhere that there could be a pack DLC with both cars and some track, so I don't
want to rush, but I'm getting very impatient, I can't wait much longer to try this 488 in
Portland now and at the great Le Mans...

S397 you are forgiven! You fixed the GTE cars that you broke last year and they are now better than ever!
OK, now I'm intrigued. I haven't touched the GTEs yet after the update, because of the entire season spent driving cars I didn't completely hate only thanks to a continuous and incredible effort of setup experts who managed to make them kinda driveable and then even almost enjoyable, eventually.
So if they are indeed fixed and better than ever...guess I should face my demons and try them again.

Track looks nice but i tested with several cars and there was no bumps in the tarmac. No detail feeling to the wheel. Like driving indoors. They must have missed that cause all their other tracks has character.

I bought rf2 yesterday along with endurance pack and track pack, it took me quite a few hours to dial in to my liking but why did i wait so long to jump in?

Up to now AMS2 was my outright favourite in terms of physics and ffb but i have to admit rf2 has nailed both also.
Between the two im sorted for a long time, havent played ACC in ages.
Yeah its nuts when you get it dialed in and realize how good it is. :) I was the same. Years and years looking at rF2 and going "naaah". Then one day i was just browsing around Steam and saw rF2 was on a sale and thought "why not". Took an EVE car (here comes the same story again) loaded up Belgium '66 and got a smile from ear to ear as soon as the race started. So alive. So brutal. So much detail to the wheel from the bumpy track. So fast and so damn scary. :D If you didnt test it, and even if old school formulas isnt your favorite - try it. Just try it. Trust me.

OK, now I'm intrigued. I haven't touched the GTEs yet after the update, because of the entire season spent driving cars I didn't completely hate only thanks to a continuous and incredible effort of setup experts who managed to make them kinda driveable and then even almost enjoyable, eventually.
So if they are indeed fixed and better than ever...guess I should face my demons and try them again.
yes S397 did a great job with the GTE, the riding is really a huge pleasure!! the sound is better even if some details are still missing like flashbacks, carcass/suspension/brakes noise like for acc!
the cockpit of the ferrari has raised the level of details (sublime in VR) I hope that the others will be updated, with the new track shader it misses more than the sound to put at the highest level it remains for me an important thing on a simulation!

How can you not have RF2 anymore? Even if uninstalled, it is waiting on the Steam server for you to re install.
I don't have hard disk for it anymore and then once again installing all the mods... nah... not worth my time.
I used to play more with installing and editing mods than actual play. Not anymore.
rF2 have great sim feel but it's outdated overall now tbh to me
I mean with all AC ACC PC2 AMS AMS2...
I feel like I don't need it anymore

Update for Portland?
F***k, i uninstalled rF2 a few days ago:roflmao:
See ? it's not like I'm the only one :geek:

Did you Lando Norris uninstall?
Had to Google for it :D
yeah, guess I did :D

The Ferrari interior was a giant step up in the graphics department and I think was well up to modern standards, so I had high hopes for the improved track shaders.... but colour me completely underwhelmed. If it wasn't stated I wouldn't have noticed any difference in terms of graphical quality.

At Silverstone, the grand stand still looks pretty poor imho. Where's the nice reflective windows? Since they "upgraded" the lighting, I find the tracks looks somewhat washed out. This is all in VR mind you (not that this seemed an impediment or detrimental to other sims in the track graphics department).

Just to clarify, they don't look "bad" but they are not up to the standards of ACC/PCars etc which I was hoping for I guess. Driving the Ferrari @ Silverstone was still mega fun! (I had to turn the Car Specific FF down to around 85% though for my Fanatec CSWv1 or else it felt like driving a truck)

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 137 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 190 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 375 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing