rF2: Porsche GT3 Cup Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
GT3Cup.jpg

Hot on the heels of the legendary Nurburgring Nordschleife DLC, Studio 397 have released the lovely Porsche GT3 Cup car for the simulation.

Continuing a growing trend of Porsche cars showing up in sim racing games, Studio 397 have added a new model to the range of vehicles already in the title.. adding the GT3 Cup as a standalone series as part of their weekend of new content releases for the simulation.

Starting the weekend celebrations in style with a laserscanned version of the German Nordschleife circuit on Thursday 26th September, Studio 397 then followed that up with a release for the Porsche GT3 Cup, available now for £4.42 from the rFactor 2 Steam Store page.

Apologies for the late posting, been a bit busy out of country with the SRO E-Sport GT Series grand finale.

So folks, what do you think of this content combination?

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusively available for PC.

For more news from the world of rFactor 2, check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 sub forum and join in with the community discussion. If you like racing in a clean and fun environment online, why not check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 Racing Club? Get yourself in on the action!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I am kind of curious. What do you think about the DLC pricing in rFactor 2 in general? Like this car costs quite a few penny, 5 euros to be exact. I would say that is rather high for a single car. I know that many online racers go with similar prices but the original Assetto Corsa sold the car plus 7 variants/other Porsches in the third pack for the same price. That is definitely the other end of the plane easily being the cheapest addon in sim racing though.

Thought about buying it but then I had second thoughts after reading a mixed bag of comments regarding its drivability.
I like challenging cars and I know this is supposed to be one but I also like them to be drivable out of the box without having to mess with setups.
Maybe I'll pick it up further down the road

I am kind of curious. What do you think about the DLC pricing in rFactor 2 in general? Like this car costs quite a few penny, 5 euros to be exact. I would say that is rather high for a single car. I know that many online racers go with similar prices but the original Assetto Corsa sold the car plus 7 variants/other Porsches in the third pack for the same price. That is definitely the other end of the plane easily being the cheapest addon in sim racing though.
Sure, someone could argue, that the pricepoint is very steep...but when i think of flightsimming in comparison, buying one plane with several liveries, even if it is a very basic one, without many systems and complexity, but modeled well and with some research done for the physics part, you will get a very different (higher) price tag...believe me. Sim Racers are still somewhat lucky, when it comes to add-on prices.

These cars require licensing, workload and knowledge. Nothing comes for free, if you want official content or really in dept developed mods/add-ons.

Still better than cosmetic, or even game-balance-changing microtransactions, in my eyes.

the first laps were getting used to .. but if you do 10 laps on the Nord ... it starts to get more fun and a GT3 car is boring... This Cup car is a challenge.. For me personally 1 of the best cars ever in simracing. Well done totally in love with this Porsche :thumbsup:

At first it's very hard to drive, even frustrating and annoying because I didn't expect it to be THAT much harder to drive than GT3. Tyres too feel very hard for slicks as they lose temperature fast. Driving it feels more like a rally for me, keeping up with 100% AI is a lot harder that GT3. But as I get used to it I appreciate the challenge, because the GT3 and GTE is the kind of meh - not as fast as Formula, not as slippery as historic Le Mans cars. Porsche Cup is a whole new category in rF2 experience. Just strange that it only has 1 slick option besides rain tyres. And onboard sound could use more detail.

Last edited:
At first it's very hard to drive, even frustrating and annoying because I didn't expect it to be THAT much harder to drive than GT3. Tyres too feel very hard for slicks as they lose temperature fast. Driving it feels more like a rally for me, keeping up with 100% AI is a lot harder that GT3. But as I get used to it I appreciate the challenge, because the GT3 and GTE is the kind of meh - not as fast as Formula, not as slippery as historic Le Mans cars. Porsche Cup is a whole new category in rF2 experience. Just strange that it only has 1 slick option besides rain tyres. And onboard sou d could use more detail.
Not strange, they only are allowed to use one sort of slick tires.

I have many, many hours in the Flat 6 mod car and been absolutely hanging for this car to come for real.
After reading everyone's thoughts on the S397 forum I wasn't sure if I needed to buy it or just stick with the Flat 6. I caved amd bought it along with Nordschleife. This car is an absolute blast, drives (imo) rather similar to the Flat 6 but with a lot more oversteer and a lot more fine corrections need to be made.
I love doing my race then going back and watching the replay, all those corrections, it's amazing to watch.
What needs improvement is the sound in between gear changes, the rest can stay! I'm in love with it.

URD just put the M8 GTE up for sale in AC for 10€. 5 for something licensed with real data from s397 doesn't seem bad to me.

The default setup is absolute dogshit! The car seems like it has no grip, no downforce, no brakes. The default brake bias is more rear bias than front! WTF?! After a lot of tweaking it starts to drive like a car instead of a boat on ice.

EDIT: ok I drove it alot more last night and it doesn't seem as bad as I remember the first time. The default setup still seems...odd, but I might have been overdriving it. And with a few adjustments, the car is a blast! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing