rF2: Porsche GT3 Cup Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
GT3Cup.jpg

Hot on the heels of the legendary Nurburgring Nordschleife DLC, Studio 397 have released the lovely Porsche GT3 Cup car for the simulation.

Continuing a growing trend of Porsche cars showing up in sim racing games, Studio 397 have added a new model to the range of vehicles already in the title.. adding the GT3 Cup as a standalone series as part of their weekend of new content releases for the simulation.

Starting the weekend celebrations in style with a laserscanned version of the German Nordschleife circuit on Thursday 26th September, Studio 397 then followed that up with a release for the Porsche GT3 Cup, available now for £4.42 from the rFactor 2 Steam Store page.

Apologies for the late posting, been a bit busy out of country with the SRO E-Sport GT Series grand finale.

So folks, what do you think of this content combination?

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusively available for PC.

For more news from the world of rFactor 2, check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 sub forum and join in with the community discussion. If you like racing in a clean and fun environment online, why not check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 Racing Club? Get yourself in on the action!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I've tested the R3E Cup and rF2 Cup in comparison, the R3E one seems to have slightly more grip and the rF2 one slightly less steering angle (not steering lock), but with similar setups, these cars are astoundingly equal, when it comes to behaviour under load, braking and cornering...i can drive both cars with pretty much the same inputs. So it almost seems to me, Porsche delivers a quite detailed package for Sim Devs to work with.^^
The best version for "me" is on iRacing.
The Assetto Corsa version is just as good.
Automobilista did a great job with there version and I hope its in AM2 licensed.

The rFactor 2 version seems to me a little rushed and I cant get a feel for it.
It looks stunning and sounds good.
Hopefully I find a way to get this car around a track in a descent time :)
Rushed? they have been working on this single car for quite a long time.
The provided setup should work ok on regular GP style tracks (what they race most on).
But the Nordschleife needs a different setup to work well.
Setups are also very personal, when I try alien setups in iRacing for instance, I suck balls compared to my own setups (than I still suck balls, but at least I can do consistent laps).

The provided setup should work ok on regular GP style tracks (what they race most on).
I took a look into the Cup car telemetry on the Nordschleife in rF2. Between 15 and 20% of the lap, each tire has a load of under 50kg (so basically loses contact with the surface) and the suspension travel is over 35% less than on the GT3 R at low suspension freqencies - meaning the Cup car is much stiffer set up than the GT3 R even though it has less downforce... all while the cup series doesn't allow stiffness adjustment aside from ARB.
Maybe it would have annoyed me less had the Cup and the Nordschleife not come out almost simultaneously with some "work in progress" excuses when people pointed out the weird suspension movements in the preview footage that was released during the Sim Expo.

I took a look into the Cup car telemetry on the Nordschleife in rF2. Between 15 and 20% of the lap, each tire has a load of under 50kg (so basically loses contact with the surface) and the suspension travel is over 35% less than on the GT3 R at low suspension freqencies - meaning the Cup car is much stiffer set up than the GT3 R even though it has less downforce... all while the cup series doesn't allow stiffness adjustment aside from ARB.
Maybe it would have annoyed me less had the Cup and the Nordschleife not come out almost simultaneously with some "work in progress" excuses when people pointed out the weird suspension movements in the preview footage that was released during the Sim Expo.
The question is if the telemetry is comparable to that of the same car in RL conditions and not to the GT3-R. Suspension spec and tire spec is actually a big part of that equation aswell and I wouldn't be surprised if 15% of losing ground contact for a tire would be possible at Nords given that the Porsche base setup is stiff enough and that you have lot's of high curbing and constant elevation changes. And I wouldn't go by the preview version anyway. The release version is alot less bouncy.

I am kind of curious. What do you think about the DLC pricing in rFactor 2 in general? Like this car costs quite a few penny, 5 euros to be exact. I would say that is rather high for a single car. I know that many online racers go with similar prices but the original Assetto Corsa sold the car plus 7 variants/other Porsches in the third pack for the same price. That is definitely the other end of the plane easily being the cheapest addon in sim racing though.

It´s really not a bargain but in this case it´s absolutely okay, i´m happy to pay that. Why?

Studio 397 did a great job in resurrecting a good sim, which was dying slow and painfully. Laserscanning, programming and licensing isn´t cheap either.
These guys are doing much for sim racers and totally deserve the money.

I spent about an hour in the nurbugring gp with this car today and I must say it is quite nice there. Provided you let the car drive itself. I drove the AMG GT3 before that on the nords (to see if I should club race Friday or not) and the Porsche is not a GT3 car. Less aero, worse brakes different rubber. I like the cup cars in all sims that have them and I like this one a lot! It behaves as I would expect a rear heavy car to behave. Overcook the corner entry and if you try to push the car in, you spin because of the rear engine. Also, brake distances are a lot longer than a gt3 and you just don't have the grip a GT3 does. For people having trouble with the car, try it outside of the nords and don't drive it like a GT3. It is pretty awesome once you do it.

Setups are also very personal, when I try alien setups in iRacing for instance, I suck balls compared to my own setups (than I still suck balls, but at least I can do consistent laps).
With "rushed", i mean sound (you even have no starter sound) and interior (the rF2 dash problem).

I don't care about standard setup, i can change it my way, but i find the standard setup to be okay... drivable. It's made for good turn in, if you have throttle control and know your braking points.

what does VLN mean exactly?
Veranstaltergemeinschaft Langstreckenmeisterschaft Nürburgring.

It is the german endurance championship for the big course, we love so much.^^

Last edited:
I've just got in here to collect some information about S397 Porsche Cup and to decide about to buy or not and to download some Dashboards to Simhub... But I'm realising that to navigate in RaceDepartment is becoming more and more demanding to get myself concentrate last times...View attachment 327197

Hmmm.....I see Best Buy and a Ski shop in mine.....I wonder which kinda websites you've been visiting recently :O_o::p

All those who have created their own setups, are you able to share for us noobs, who have no idea what we are doing ?

Much love
I'm a certified "noob' in setting up a car but I just follow this guide and was able to do the combined layout in under 10 mins on 2nd run. I know it's not fast enough but I was able to drive the Porsche Cup good enough for me:). Hope this helps.
UniversalSetUpGuide.JPG
Thanks to the guy who uploaded this online.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 325 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%