rF2: Porsche GT3 Cup Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
GT3Cup.jpg

Hot on the heels of the legendary Nurburgring Nordschleife DLC, Studio 397 have released the lovely Porsche GT3 Cup car for the simulation.

Continuing a growing trend of Porsche cars showing up in sim racing games, Studio 397 have added a new model to the range of vehicles already in the title.. adding the GT3 Cup as a standalone series as part of their weekend of new content releases for the simulation.

Starting the weekend celebrations in style with a laserscanned version of the German Nordschleife circuit on Thursday 26th September, Studio 397 then followed that up with a release for the Porsche GT3 Cup, available now for £4.42 from the rFactor 2 Steam Store page.

Apologies for the late posting, been a bit busy out of country with the SRO E-Sport GT Series grand finale.

So folks, what do you think of this content combination?

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusively available for PC.

For more news from the world of rFactor 2, check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 sub forum and join in with the community discussion. If you like racing in a clean and fun environment online, why not check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 Racing Club? Get yourself in on the action!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
No data, no answer.

Your input is appreciated but sadly worthless.

Provide data or be calm, they say.
Just look at the braking-points and correction needed to keep the real car on track. I never said that the Porsche Cup in rF2 is the ultimate simulation of the real car, but it is the by far best simulation and you only get that onboard-dynamics in rF2. Everything else is a joke and like a Mickey Mouse cartoon compare to reality.

After tweaking the (crazy) default-setup (lower tyre-pressure, less camber, more preload, lower rear ARB) it's the most reliable Porsche Cup in Sim-Racing for me minus the Flat 6 mod before, which might be a bit too easy. If i had to race this car for real with physics of a sim, i certainly would prefer rF2 by far. Just brake early enough and you should be fine. In iRacing, ACC and RR they feel more planted most of the time, but are prone to do sudden BS rear traction loss under very usual circumstances that i can't take serious. The Porsche Cup car is IMO the best car S397 have released so far with similar dynamics and braking points like in this video.
Better lower your volume first and this one has a rev-restriction, so it can't go that fast on the straight. ABS is also allowed and used in the VLN afaik.
havent bookmarked a video before in my life
thanks

I have been working on setup for this car for months. I was able to configure Sim Hub and get it working today, the onboard tire widget makes all the difference. I had been running 5 laps or so and stopping to gauge the setup based on the tire pressures and temps. Being able to see them in real time is so much easier. I learned a lot today and am very excited to test again. I bought the licensed version tonight.

I hope you can share your setup experiences with us.
Sounds exciting.

I am at work right now, but I would be happy to offer what I have learned so far. I have been testing at Sebring almost exclusively with the cup car for some time. The rough circuit is very unforgiving both on the brakes and on the power. I have struggled as I am sure many others have trying to
get a handle on this car with the baseline setup. The first step for me was softening the rear arb to 2. The front arb I am using currently is 3.
I read that the IRL car likes high negative camber settings, so I was trying to experiment with -5, -4.5, -4.2 camber settings at all corners and with asymmetrical numbers ..... example: -5 on the left side and -4.5 on the right. If you drive 4 or 5 laps the tires warm enough to be somewhat predictable but its very difficult to start a race with.

Time to leave work.. I will post more when I get home and can give actual values.

The camber settings I am using for Sebring are: -4.0 left side, -3.2 right side. I played with higher camber settings on the front end, but I like how the car feels with the same value front to rear.

I am running front toe at 0, rear toe is .264. I have the wing at 4 currently. I want to play with adding some more rear toe and removing some more wing
I started with 16 psi on the rear tires and 17 on the fronts. I currently have the tires at 17.5 LF, 18.1 RF,
16.2LR and 16.8 RR. Brake Bias is 48.6. I have run it in the 47's but if I brake late I can lock the rear tires
I can run very consistent lap times with this setup. Very stable car, lots of grip with barely any oversteer.

Yes please, I would be interested also to better use Simhub for monitoring and improvements of setups

Foskifo,
In the dash tab there are overlays for tires, select one and position it so it is visible while driving.
Using the tire widget, I could see that the outsides of the tires would heat while in a corner but cool off again very quickly.
I reduced the camber until I could heat the tires all the way across (inside to outside). After 2 or 3 laps I could keep them warm (above 115 Fahrenheit) in the straights. Once I had the tires working better I could really feel the changes made to the setup.

I tried to race with the previously posted setup last evening, I was not very satisfied. I have the AI set to 91%, aggressiveness 91%.
The first 2 laps I struggle to stay with the AI, starting from the rear. I made a few mistakes; didn't brake early enough in lap one with cold brakes
and tires, ran thru turn 5, got turned around and had to try to catch the AI the entire race. I have been starting with fast rolling. Maybe I should go to a regular rolling start to try to heat the tires and brakes more....I got away from that type start, but as I type this I realize it probably makes sense to use it.

Update..
I moved the brake bias forward to 49.3 and took some air out of the front tires. The temperatures are more even on all tires. The car feels much better. I think I raised the tire pressures trying to get even hot pressures all around and lower lap times, but I feel like the grip from having all four the same temperature is a larger gain. I can drive harder through turn 1, turn 5 and really feel the difference in Sunset. Starting pressures LF 17, RF 17.5, LR 16.1, RR16.8 psi.

Memo,

What setup are you using for this car? Something you came up with or ?
Thanks,

George

Mate please take a look at post nr 232.
This is a very good Default Setup.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back