rF2 | Plenty Of Updates And Improvements Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have been busy with rFactor 2 - today releasing a number of updates and improvements to both content and the new beta UI...

At the point of releasing the latest roadmap update for the simulation, Studio 397 confirmed they had intention of releasing updates at a much greater rate than had previous been the case - and considering we are just 10 short days after the big build release, it looks like the developers estimation is proving correct!

Deployed to the simulation today comes another useful array of updates, including some further changes to the beta UI within the sim, details of which can be found below:

As part of our recent promise to put out updates more quickly, here’s another one! This week we have a handful of updates to both the new UI as well as graphics and physics content updates.

But before we dive into these updates, we have some exciting news to share. We have a brand new member in the Studio 397 crew. Well known for being the “World’s Fastest Gamer” and now moving on to real world motorsports, you guessed it, it’s Rudy van Buren! Rudy will be sharing his insight and expertise, not to mention real world knowledge in motorsports and professional simulators, to help further raise the bar and continue improving the core physics in rFactor 2. His know-how and driving ability will add a new dimension to our ongoing commitment to realism and simulation!

McLaren Open Wheelers
This week we have a few car updates, starting with the three vintage McLaren open wheelers: the MP4/8, the MP4/13 and the M23. All three get an update to the new materials! Check them all out here if you haven’t subscribed yet. We hope to see your new skin creations! Don’t forget to grab the updated templates in your ‘rFactor 2’ install in the ‘Templates’ folder.

McLaren MP4/13 1998
Link

rF2 McLaren MP413 1.jpg

McLaren MP4/8 1993
Link

rF McLaren MP48 1.jpg

McLaren M23
Link

rF2 McLaren M23.jpg

Physics
Still on cars but on to physics improvements, where Rudy and the physics team have already been working hard to help iron out some of the outstanding issues. This week the focus was on the reported “bounciness” of the BMW M2 coming off curbs. These improvements were made in a few areas – we started with optimizing stiffness for the updated tyres. That allowed us to also improve dampers’ characteristics, making the car more stable and with better response over kerbs, as well as the ‘stick-slip’ effects coming from tyres, when sliding. Along the way, we also made improvements to differential response on power and coast, so it’s now a better match to the dynamics of the car and at the same time, more closely follows the updated data we got from BMW.

BMW M2 CS Racing v1.39
  • Slightly softer steering links to reduce vibration
  • Slightly lower center of gravity to match the data
  • Tweaked differential locks and preload (higher)
  • New default front camber set to -3.0 deg
  • Readjusted dampers
  • Reduced the bounciness over curbs
  • Fixed opponent classes filtering. Each class can now be run separately, single player and multiplayer.

Porsche 911 GT3 Cup v1.31
  • Fixed opponent classes filtering. Each class can now be run separately, single player and multiplayer.
Nürburgring Nordschleife (2018) v1.51
  • Adjusted fog and haze settings for more visibility.
Broadcast Overlays
In other news, this past couple of weeks we have also been hard at work on revamping the broadcast overlays. Hopefully we will have something to share real soon. More on that next week!

Changelog New UI Public Beta
  • Fixed micro stutters in the new UI, that were more prominent in VR.
  • Added network settings in the UI options.
  • Fixed a memory leak while in tuning/showroom
  • Added new showroom full screen mode, side bar will auto-hide when lock icon is released.
Known Issues
  • After content install in VR rFactor 2 does not restart. A workaround for now is to restart manually.
  • There is still a black band on the bottom half of the track loading screen.
  • Unrelated to UI, but we are also aware of the erratic throttle behavior of the AI cars, and we are looking into that.
  • Parc Ferme is not working in the new UI.
Work In Progress
  • Add skin download progress bar while on a server that allows custom skin transfers.
  • Config tool sporadically fails to launch up after clicking PLAY for setting graphics resolution, VR or post effect levels.
  • Team creation in the showroom is missing.
  • Material editing in the showroom is missing.
  • Forced setup and/or upgrades.
  • Car (re)selection when on a server.
  • Resume from replay.
  • Sporadic ‘white screen’ when leaving an online session.
Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC.

Got questions about getting the most from your rFactor 2 installation? Head over to the RaceDepartment rF2 sub forum and post a thread for our awesome community to help you out!

rF2 header.jpg

• Deleted member 205301

what , wait ? rf2 is not dead ?
(joking...but not totally ...was still with the tatuus today)

To a of updates, on almost a bi-weekly basis... but still I cannot play rFactor2 as the game does not recognise my CSW 2.5 and my CS pedals (and it’s the only sim in that situation)
Hey, Studio 397... what are you waiting to fix my problem or answer my messages?
I have older kit than you and rF2 has always recognised my CSV v1 and CSR Elites.
It sounds like you haven't done something right on your end and maybe you should look into your setup and bindings first

Question for you. Tried the Tatuus FT60 I think it was and I've still got that weird bubble thing coming out the back of my car, and the car of those I'm racing with.

Anyone else have this?

It's like a clear round 'bubble' type thing, and can be seen when looking back from the car, or on other cars (single player and multiplayer) when on track together.

Also, second question... my install is crashing when tying to update workshop items at launch. It's fine if i 'skip updates' in the opening screen of the game... again, anyone else have this, or have any ideas what mod may be causes the difficulties?

Many thanks,

Paul

I hope when I update RF2, I can use my wheel to play the darn thing. I just bought the Nordschleife, and figured it would be interesting to take a few of the base cars around the track. Who knows, that might give me the itch to buy the GT3 packs. But when I tried to drive, nothing responded. I checked the bindings, and seen that the game got input from my wheel, pedals and shifter, but when I tried to drive, nothing happened except the brake pedal activated neutrual gear. Kind of bummed about this.

I have the feeling that I need to unsubscribe all of the workshop cars I have. That's where I am going to start in trouble shooting.

Question for you. Tried the Tatuus FT60 I think it was and I've still got that weird bubble thing coming out the back of my car, and the car of those I'm racing with.

Anyone else have this?

It's like a clear round 'bubble' type thing, and can be seen when looking back from the car, or on other cars (single player and multiplayer) when on track together.

Also, second question... my install is crashing when tying to update workshop items at launch. It's fine if i 'skip updates' in the opening screen of the game... again, anyone else have this, or have any ideas what mod may be causes the difficulties?

Many thanks,

Paul

I seen this with multiple cars both old and new content, I see strange reflections on the heat haze bubble. I was noticeable only under certain conditions and camera angles.

I seen this with multiple cars both old and new content, I see strange reflections on the heat haze bubble. I was noticeable only under certain conditions and camera angles.

Ahh thanks, that's interesting as it's only the FT60 I've noticed it with. At a wedding tomorrow, but will check on Thursday see if I can recreate with different cars - cheers! Not looked on reply yet, just noticed it when on track in whatever session / race / practice / qualifying.

Did a race earlier, around 9am for practice / 12pm qualifying and 4pm race (iirc) and was present in all those time of day conditions. Strange stuff!

For the second "problem", same at my side :)

This is why I love and loathe rF2 in equal measure! Going to go problem solving at the weekend... again!

Anyone else have this?

I had this issues 5 yrs ago and brought it up....was hoping it had been solved by now but apparently not or it's back again?
I was getting a bubble near the back bumper/exhaust and one underneath the rear.

Good to see them bringing on real drivers to help with feedback on vehicles, hopefully it will help.

On the other hand with my days as a beta tester with Sector3 I recall one of the devs saying...

"You can take 2 real life drivers, put them in the exact same setup, gear, tune etc....and they will both give you complete opposite feedback on how the car should handle, you than have to take that feedback and find a happy medium combine with your data"

None the less I enjoy hearing feedback from pro drivers.

If you're using the new UI, try opting out of the beta, start the old launcher method and let it install the workshop items, then opt into the beta again, if it was installing properly and try launching rF2 with the mods installed.

To a of updates, on almost a bi-weekly basis... but still I cannot play rFactor2 as the game does not recognise my CSW 2.5 and my CS pedals (and it’s the only sim in that situation)
Hey, Studio 397... what are you waiting to fix my problem or answer my messages?
CSWv2 and CSR Elite pedals here and working fine in rf2 !!

McLaren Open Wheelers
This week we have a few car updates, starting with the three vintage McLaren open wheelers: the MP4/8, the MP4/13 and the M23. All three get an update to the new materials! Check them all out here if you haven’t subscribed yet. We hope to see your new skin creations! Don’t forget to grab the updated templates in your ‘rFactor 2’ install in the ‘Templates’ folder.

Just another joke!
Update to template; Added the region layers. Wow! Anyone that has any sort off work flow using this new materials can add this to the old one. Even without it painter have to learn from the many tutorials anyway.
The MP4/13 needs to be totally remapped. Why don't you fix this type off third rate amateur rubbish?

And while you at it, Fix the apportion off a attempt you did with the Porsche_Cup_GT3_2018! What a third rate piece off trash that is!

We keep getting told about how high your (studio 397) quality control is but we constantly see far less in reality.

Time you got rid off the person who is checking this stuff and got someone who actually know what their doing!

That's just on the cars. One we payed for.
People are getting tired of paying for untested, unchecked, unfinished content that never gets fixed but equals the cost off iRacing.

After over 10 years off using rFactor and rF2 I've had enough and not paying for another low quality third rate rubbish you people can't or want fix ever again.

Each update fixes 1 thing and breaks 2.

I hope when I update RF2, I can use my wheel to play the darn thing. I just bought the Nordschleife, and figured it would be interesting to take a few of the base cars around the track. Who knows, that might give me the itch to buy the GT3 packs. But when I tried to drive, nothing responded. I checked the bindings, and seen that the game got input from my wheel, pedals and shifter, but when I tried to drive, nothing happened except the brake pedal activated neutrual gear. Kind of bummed about this.

I have the feeling that I need to unsubscribe all of the workshop cars I have. That's where I am going to start in trouble shooting.

I have this happened before with AC and rF2. I think it was after I changed the sequence and port order when plugging in my controllers. PC assigns them in a list, like controller 1, controller 2 etc. and then game reads inputs from that list. So I always plug in pedals in same usb port first, then wheel in it's usual port, then shifter. If I change the order, I have to make the game detect them again, and then re-assign controls.

I had a situation when gas pedal worked as steering wheel etc. No need to un-sub the workshop items.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 140 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 104 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 143 13.8%