rF2: New Tatuus Formula Cars - Talk 'n' Drive (Video)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We take out a selection of the upcoming Tatuus open wheel cars for a spin in rFactor 2.

Set to release to the rFactor 2 simulation later today, I've been lucky enough to get hold of this new content a little bit earlier than most, taking the opportunity to put together a quick video sharing my thoughts and experiences with the new cars as I head out onto the circuit for the first time.

Admission time... this isn't the most spectacularly well put together video I've ever done. Basically I managed to get hold of the cars late on Wednesday night, and pretty much worked into the early hours of Thursday morning to put a video together - so it might come across a bit rushed in parts.. sorry!

Regarding the cars themselves, I've now driven all six and I must admit they are rather impressive indeed. As is befitting a title of rFactor 2's standards, each car is a fantastic drive and gives back to the player some excellent feedback through the force feedback wheel. Added to the fact these are low powered open wheel cars, always a recipe for fun times, and I'll honestly admit they offer up some of the most fun I've had in quite a while when driving a virtual racing car.

Anyway, enough of that, enjoy the video, and more to the point enjoy the cars once they release for rF2 later today!

rF2 Tatuus.jpg

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing sim from Studio 397 - Available now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussion regarding this excellent sim. Like your racing hard and fair? Join in with our rFactor 2 Racing Club for all your eSport racing fun! Oh, don't forget we like mods to, with our own rFactor 2 Modding Forum for you to enjoy!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Woww... these small cars are very enjoyable.
I run 60min both of them in Virginia Park with my motion system and DD steering wheel and they are a blast to drive.
OT: I tried several sims with motion from rfactor2, AC, R3E... rfactor2 is by far the best of term of motion FFB.

I have tried this new rf2 content and I must say that it is superb. Have only tried a couple of models in practice, but both cars were very balanced and easy to drive, and the force feedback was superb. Well done!!

From official S397 blog:
Giovanni Delfino, CEO at Tatuus. “It was clear that we would be involved in a project like this. As far as I know no other race car manufacturer ever worked that close with a race simulation program with the sole purpose to make a our cars as realistic as possible and available for the public, including all teams running these cars and the drivers racing those.

Wito van Kuijeren, CEO at Engineering Consult. “This is the biggest project for me to date. I have many years running Tatuus cars on track (bought my first one in 1995) and in my job as race engineer race simulation has always been a big part of my work. With rFactor 2 and the development in esport it was clear the whole program would benefit from a proper platform. This platform is rFactor 2. We can create highly detailed cars, that match real car performance. Engine, boost mapping and tyre models are without doubt best out there. Now we have all, taking it one step further and make these cars available for all, and expect some awesome online leagues with them.”

I bolded parts that interest me. I wonder if it's really truth or substantial marketing . Or maybe a little bit both? I've seen quite few times sim devs claim they worked closely with manufacturers/teams, got all detailed data etc. Even S397 did that in recent past i.e. when developing Norma LMP3.

Last edited:
When loading FT-50 I get "error loading mesh file TATUUS_FT_50_BODY_MED.GMT to memory". Anyone else with the same problem? All other cars are loading properly and awesome to drive but this is the one I wanted to try the most!

When loading FT-50 I get "error loading mesh file TATUUS_FT_50_BODY_MED.GMT to memory". Anyone else with the same problem? All other cars are loading properly and awesome to drive but this is the one I wanted to try the most!
Yeah happens with me aswell, I have also tried an integrity check no joy.
@Marcel Offermans I have uploaded my trace file if that's any help.
Btw the cars I have tried so far have been great really enjoying the 2 american variants.

Attachments

• trace_2019_06_27_21_28_14-84.txt
    95.7 KB · Views: 263
From official S397 blog:

Wito van Kuijeren, ...We can create highly detailed cars, ...
I bolded parts that interest me. I wonder if it's really truth or substantial marketing . Or maybe a little bit both? I've seen quite few times sim devs claim they worked closely with manufacturers/teams, got all detailed data etc. Even S397 did that in recent past i.e. when developing Norma LMP3.

Yes, it’s really truth. And it was hard to create that highly detailed cars.

Last edited:
Side mirrors looks like their angle is a bit low? Dont know if thats normal though.
You can adjust the mirrors. I'm guessing what you see in the video is a result of Paul quickly adjusting his seating position without adjusting the mirrors. He honestly seems to be sitting very high in the car (and somewhat far back, though that might be due to the fairly wide FOV he's using), it looks like his head is sticking out through the halo, or, in case of the Imola race, as if his head is on the level of the rear wing (if you look at the other cars). The default seating positions are quite a bit lower (as you'd expect in a formula car).

Last edited:
You can adjust the mirrors. I'm guessing what you see in the video is a result of Paul quickly adjusting his seating position without adjusting the mirrors. He honestly seems to be sitting very high in the car (and somewhat far back, though that might be due to the fairly wide FOV he's using), it looks like his head is sticking out through the halo, or, in case of the Imola race, as if his head is on the level of the rear wing (if you look at the other cars). The default seating positions are quite a bit lower (as you'd expect in a formula car).
Yup. Was just thinking they were a bit low for stock, and some S397 cars you cant change the mirrors so just wrote what i wrote. :)

Also clear CBASH and SHADERS every time you get new content.
Which S397 cars exactly please? They should all be adjustable really so maybe something got missed, thanks
I just reacted from the videos from Paul's first drive and talk. The top of the mirrors is in line with the tarmac top. Like not seeing any sky. Thats what i reacted to. It was nothing big. If they are adjustable then its no problems at all. :) Just thought if they were low stock then they could maybe be adjusted by S397 overall.

2 ads before the video started and 5 during. Grr. :cautious:

Love watching these videos otherwise but the ad interruptions are brutal.

This doesn't feel normal, either. Other YouTube creators aren't putting that many ads in. In fact, most have lead-in ads but never ads in the middle.

Can you lower the number?

2 ads before the video started and 5 during. Grr. :cautious:

Love watching these videos otherwise but the ad interruptions are brutal.

This doesn't feel normal, either. Other YouTube creators aren't putting that many ads in. In fact, most have lead-in ads but never ads in the middle.

Can you lower the number?
They are getting worse, all my subs now have more and the longer the video the more they squeeze in.
Almost every one starts with a Pixel ad.
Trying to make us go paid.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back