rF2: New Build Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Updated.jpg

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but Studio 397 have recently released a new build of rFactor 2.

Timed to be in conjunction with the release of the latest generation of Formula E car that deployed as DLC back at the end of last week, the new build of rFactor 2 is now here and ready to download (if you haven't already) the next time you restart your Steam client.

Update Notes:

Steam Build IDs
client: 3750893
dedi: 3750894

• Added more detailed realtime logging to help better diagnose sporadic physics lock-ups reported by some clients. If you have experienced this issue please see instructions here on logging:
  • https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/logging-out-of-realtime-physics-freezes.62687/
    New materials fix to avoid custom team skins not showing.
  • Implemented 'brake-by-wire' (for Formula E Gen2).
  • Fixed 32bit crash.
  • Fixed sporadic blown out scene when using car select and tuning in a multiplayer session
  • Fixed glitched puddle reflections of cars bodies.
  • Fixed crash for some users when joining a multiplayer session.
Steam Build IDs
client: 3753718
dedi: 3750894
  • Fixed VR virtual mirrors

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC.

For the latest and greatest from the world of rF2, head over to the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to stay in touch with the news and community discussion.

For racing fun against real people, check out the rF2 Racing Club for regular, quality online racing in a safe and fun environment.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Nice of them to follow copyright law? Nice of them to sign an exclusive agreement which involves the passing of money between two partners and then allowing a 3rd party to undercut the agreement by releasing a free product? There is nice and then there is lax enforcement of an agreement which can lead to the nullification of said agreement. Thus, they can be nice, and lose the money or the product which they entered into via a legally binding agreement.
I'll provide the expected response to save you time:
"They are only in this for the money."

Nice of them to follow copyright law? Nice of them to sign an exclusive agreement which involves the passing of money between two partners and then allowing a 3rd party to undercut the agreement by releasing a free product? There is nice and then there is lax enforcement of an agreement which can lead to the nullification of said agreement. Thus, they can be nice, and lose the money or the product which they entered into via a legally binding agreement.
I'll provide the expected response to save you time:
"They are only in this for the money."

You're joking right? If you think that's true, I guess the government ought to shutdown Race Department right away. Making a mod is not illegal.

making a mod with copyrighted material is illegal. Whether the holder of the copyright chooses to pursue the matter is all the keeps most mods available. You can make all the cars you want, but the moment you slap a skin without permission with real sponsors and logos you become a contract violator. Blancpain pays SRO alot of cash to present their name on the cars and the GT3 series. If they wanted to, they could demand SRO issue cease and desist letters to every mod creator that features Blancpain GT3 liveries. (The beauty of this is Blancpain doesn't have to do anything, just inform SRO that SRO MUST police any content containing Blancpain. So SRO has to pay their lawyers or risk Blanpain recinding the agreements and demanding refunds.) A C&D letter is NOT a law, but a threat, comply with the letter or the SRO lawyer team will begin legal proceedings that will cost buckets of cash to defend. They don't have to prove a dang thing, just force the mod creator to be financially devastated.
When iRacing first started, almost the very first thing they did was revoke permission to mod the last Sierra Nascar title into the Group C mod. Sierra had given the group permission, but when iRacing bought their intellectual properties back from Sierra, they terminated the agreement. The modders fought it and did get a partial victory, but if at least one of the members wasn't financially able to resist, they would have been forced to pay their own lawyers and probably the iRacing lawyers as well. When Papyrus/Sierra was first expanding their Nascar titles, one of the biggest tracks NOT available was the Daytona 500 track. Modders even created a similar shaped track named after the county(Volusia) But when the copyright holder discovered those efforts, they sent the letters and forced the track to be removed from any site it was discovered on.
Technically, ANY sponsor displayed on a car, for which they paid money to display a copyrighted logo, could force any mod containing the logo to be removed. All they have to do is have the will, or ill-will to proceed.
So NO I"M NOT JOKING. This isn't the big bad government, it's legally binding agreements between parties that pay for exposure or exclusivity or whatever. The agreements almost always include PROTECTIONS from the money being that is paid by one party to the other not to be wasted by unwanted competition or downright theft of copyrights.
At this point in time, few companies seem willing to chase these mods, but that could change in a moment.
This is why you see companies like S397 & RaceRoom. being so careful to license their GT3 & other content prior to releasing anything. And finally, even if the mod is free to the public, that is not a defense. The very existence of a free mod could be argued as diluting the value of the legally licensed products. It is why websites with corporate sponsors, like the late No-Grip rarely had copyrighted material available for download.
You may have noticed S397 doesn't have a download section, they are relying on sites like Race Dept to make the possibly illegal content available rather than on their own site.

Last edited:
No money is being made on mods, so what are the damages? It isn't so cut and dry. Anyway, as I said, if what you are suggesting is true, it's time the police came and shut down 99% of the download section of RD. 397 wasn't even hosting the mod, but they somehow got it removed everywhere. Well not quite everywhere. ;) It's lovely btw.

Again, not a police matter(goverment) But legal contracts that bind two or more parties. The damages are theft of intellectual property. And yes that is what I'm saying, IF THE CONTRACTED PARTIES WANTED TO, THEY COULD SHUT DOWN 99% OF THE MODS. To keep both sides happy, they can, if they want to, enjoin every skin released or every mod that contains a licensed product.(within those contracts. S397's cars are safe due to the money S397 paid to the GT3 manufacturers. , but all the skins created by 3rd parties are not.) . You won't go to jail, you won't have a criminal record. What CAN happen is Modders will be sued and sites that host such material COULD also be sued and shut down. The damages will be monetary.
Codemasters has a very tight contract with F1. The USA owners of F1 could complain to Codies that all these free F1 mods are not good for the health of the Codemasters' contracts. Thus forcing Codemasters to reach out and threaten lawsuits if the mods are not removed. Companies do not CARE if a mod is free or not. If it violates the terms of THEIR contracts they may be forced by one of the parties of the contracts to act. F1 has already done this just this past winter with you tube videos using copy-righted F1 broadcast material.
There was a crowd-sourced Star Trek 3rd party, totally free to the public fan movie called Axanar. Currently there are dozens if not hundreds of Star Trek fan films. But the budget raised through crowd sourcing was going to put Axanar on par with CBS/Paramount's new Star Trek series. So the producers sued to prevent Axanar from being filmed or released. It has been in litigation for several years. How many modders/websites can pay lawyers for years to defend their free content?????
So thank your lucky stars that CURRENTLY there is very little activity regarding copyright infringement. We are enjoying tons of mods and skins at the whim of companies we may never have heard of.

Last edited:
No money is being made on mods, so what are the damages?
You know how people who use copyrighted material in their videos on YouTube often add disclaimers stating things like that they "don't intend any copyright infringements, all rights belong to (whoever they think holds the copyright)" or that "they are not monetizing the videos so it's OK"? Well, it doesn't matter in the slightest, they are still using copyrighted work without permission. In fact, if anything, these disclaimers basically confirm these people *are aware* that they are doing something they're not supposed to, and might possibly make the situation *worse* for them.

It really doesn't matter that you are not making money with your unlicensed content, you are still doing something that you should not be doing.

All of that is lovely, but it doesn't change the fact that a developer should have no say so in who makes mods for their game. Kunos is not legally responsible for 9000 illegal mods on RD. Likewise, S397 is not responsible for a random Indycar mod.

they are if they have agreements with companies tied to Indycar. As the end distributor, companies such as S397 or Kunos are providing the access to the illegal intellectual property. There-for they must perform due dliligence if challenged by other companies. You may be right in that they could avoid legal repercussions, but they most certainly would have to prove that theory in court. Money is the Hammer. And remember, each country has different versions of copyright law. I've read on forums that Australian end users have a-lot more protection vs corporations than other countries. All it takes is one upset partner to gum things up.
I have a former online simracing teammate who is a contract lawyer. If I could afford his rates, I'd ask him to lay out all the ways modding could go very very wrong.

they are if they have agreements with companies tied to Indycar. As the end distributor, companies such as S397 or Kunos are providing the access to the illegal intellectual property.

But the developer/publisher is not providing the access, some other random 3rd party is. You don't see Kunos trying to take down every GT3 related mod on RD. So why does S397 care about some random Indycar mod? Just seems petty or anti-competitive greed.

But the developer/publisher is not providing the access, some other random 3rd party is. You don't see Kunos trying to take down every GT3 related mod on RD. So why does S397 care about some random Indycar mod? Just seems petty or anti-competitive greed.
Kunos hasn't had to police the mods due to no outside pressure from owners of the logos etc. IF and this is crux of all my arguments, IF the owners of copyright decide it is in their best interest to pursue these mods, then Kunos, S397, etc will have to take steps to control them. Right now we have the defacto permission to use such logos ONLY because the owners have not enforced their rights. That could change at any time.

What does that have to do with the legal points being made here? It also doesn't matter if someone has created a mod at all. The legality doesn't change whether you are a modder, a publisher, a user or an uninterested bystander.
I am not talking about legality, I was asking Slowdive who was complaining about devs supposedly forbidding publishing of certain mod?
So @Slowdive have you have ever had such problem with your rf2 mods that someone from S397 contacted you and required you to remove your mod?

Kunos hasn't had to police the mods due to no outside pressure from owners of the logos etc. IF and this is crux of all my arguments, IF the owners of copyright decide it is in their best interest to pursue these mods, then Kunos, S397, etc will have to take steps to control them. Right now we have the defacto permission to use such logos ONLY because the owners have not enforced their rights. That could change at any time.

Do you have any evidence that Indycar pressured S397 to remove the mod? If not, then all you have is pure speculation.

Do you have any evidence that Indycar pressured S397 to remove the mod? If not, then all you have is pure speculation.
I didn't even know the Indycar mod was WIP let alone it had been stopped. I've been commenting in generalized terms about all mods. Unless the mod creators enter into agreements(pay money to each)with each and every logo/sponsor company, they 'could' be vulnerable to that Cease and Desist letter.
It's speculation sure. I have been around for a long time, going back to Grand Prix and Indycar 1. I have seen many projects, over the years, stopped. So sometimes speculation is backed by experience. And, most of my posts have been 'what if'. What if Michelin doesn't want their logo on the mod car? What if the manufacturer's son plays a mod at home and DaD sees all his logos being given away for free? What if is all I got. Call me the Stormcrow...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 98 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 74 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 78 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 50 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 108 13.7%