rF2: New Build Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Updated.jpg

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but Studio 397 have recently released a new build of rFactor 2.

Timed to be in conjunction with the release of the latest generation of Formula E car that deployed as DLC back at the end of last week, the new build of rFactor 2 is now here and ready to download (if you haven't already) the next time you restart your Steam client.

Update Notes:

Steam Build IDs
client: 3750893
dedi: 3750894

• Added more detailed realtime logging to help better diagnose sporadic physics lock-ups reported by some clients. If you have experienced this issue please see instructions here on logging:
  • https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/logging-out-of-realtime-physics-freezes.62687/
    New materials fix to avoid custom team skins not showing.
  • Implemented 'brake-by-wire' (for Formula E Gen2).
  • Fixed 32bit crash.
  • Fixed sporadic blown out scene when using car select and tuning in a multiplayer session
  • Fixed glitched puddle reflections of cars bodies.
  • Fixed crash for some users when joining a multiplayer session.
Steam Build IDs
client: 3753718
dedi: 3750894
  • Fixed VR virtual mirrors

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC.

For the latest and greatest from the world of rF2, head over to the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to stay in touch with the news and community discussion.

For racing fun against real people, check out the rF2 Racing Club for regular, quality online racing in a safe and fun environment.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I think alot of people underestimate the complete overhaul of the UI and just imagine it as a few menus with a few buttons to click. But there is alot more to it and S397 admitted that they underestimated the task themself. Nothing ridiciolous from my POV put just stuff taking as much time as it needs when you want to make it bullet proof.

Next to that, there is alot of stuff coming with the new UI that people have been waiting for. The search function alone will be worth it. Once the MP side of things is settled, I see them spending more efforts on the SP part of the sim. That's a bit of a problem with transparent development and the roadmaps from my perspective - development deadlines that are set from the team are too easily given for granted and expected to be release dates. Wich 99,9% of all times doesn't work. And that's not just rF2 but all of the sim studios. S397 should do it as iRacing. Show what's being worked on and just release it when it's finished.

Content Manager for Assetto Corsa does a very good job of replacing a games UI. It does than the original, with extra options to fiddle with, add new content, create custom championships, etc. Maybe they needed a different approach in the developement.

Would be lovely with the new UI and proper presets for the wheels as well,
loads and recognizes my Fanatec CSL PS4 Base, but 0 steering at all, I use the CSW2.5 Preset feels like crap so left again, since 2012 this UI and lack of proper controller support just kills the appeal off,
buy the time you wasted 1hr in the UI you just want to go back to bed.
rFactor 2 tries to replicate the steering of the IRL as closely as possible and as our wheels are sometimes too strong but most of the time too weak to match the forces correctly, rF2 needs to know how many Nm (yes, in IRL physics units, not some PC internal data range crap) your wheel can pull ("steering torque capability") and how much low-force FFB is lost due to deadzone and friction ("steering torque minimum"). You have to set it in the rF2 controller.json. I recommend a setting of 8Nm for the CSW v2.5, even though it's actually much closer to just 7Nm.

Taken from December Roadmap:
And of course there are many other topics we should update you on, such as the competition system and UI. They are probably taking a bit longer than we all expected, but I’m confident that we will see them materialize in "2019".

Content Manager for Assetto Corsa does a very good job of replacing a games UI. It does than the original, with extra options to fiddle with, add new content, create custom championships, etc. Maybe they needed a different approach in the developement.

I have huge respect for the people who created the CM and it certainly is a step up from the original UI for AC with the additional options, but it is a different thing to make a launcher compared to a full game UI rewrite. Next to the fact that the CM has it's own issues when it comes to usability, there is no way around designing a proper UI for a game. I am pretty sure that custom championships will come for the new UI, it is just that the focus is on MP right now. And with the given issues of current online racing that is very much needed.

I think alot of people underestimate the complete overhaul of the UI and just imagine it as a few menus with a few buttons to click. But there is alot more to it and S397 admitted that they underestimated the task themself. Nothing ridiciolous from my POV put just stuff taking as much time as it needs when you want to make it bullet proof.

Next to that, there is alot of stuff coming with the new UI that people have been waiting for. The search function alone will be worth it. Once the MP side of things is settled, I see them spending more efforts on the SP part of the sim. That's a bit of a problem with transparent development and the roadmaps from my perspective - development deadlines that are set from the team are too easily given for granted and expected to be release dates. Wich 99,9% of all times doesn't work. And that's not just rF2 but all of the sim studios. S397 should do it as iRacing. Show what's being worked on and just release it when it's finished.
I have said this before but Kunos will very likely release an all new game with a UI in much less time than 397 have managed to update the UI i too think its a tad rediculous.

as our wheels are sometimes too strong but most of the time too weak to match the forces correctly, rF2 needs to know how many Nm (yes, in IRL physics units, not some PC internal data range crap) your wheel can pull ("steering torque capability") and how much low-force FFB is lost due to deadzone and friction ("steering torque minimum"). You have to set it in the rF2 controller.json. I recommend a setting of 8Nm for the CSW v2.5, even though it's actually much closer to just 7Nm.
Up to around 30 Nm (so a direct drive wheel), it doesn't really matter what you set the torque capability to, the result is always the same. So you're perfectly fine with the default settings on any consumer wheel.

S397 have described some of the challenges that they face with the new UI and they do sound daunting. Those in the community with the technical knowledge to understand such things have expressed their agreement in just how challenging it can be - especially when the UI is integrated into the core game code. AC and rF2 are very different in how the UI's work with the game; iirc, AC's is modular and rF2's is not. S397 are also looking ahead in order to have the ability to add more features going forward.

The best thing with the eventual release of a new UI, will be not having to read countless complaining posts about the UI (although I'm sure most will find something else to complain).

iRacing released a new BETA UI almost 2 years ago and last I cheked, I think it is still labeled as BETA, running side by side with their old UI as they still improve their new UI. And iRacing has resources others don't.

Up to around 30 Nm (so a direct drive wheel), it doesn't really matter what you set the torque capability to, the result is always the same. So you're perfectly fine with the default settings on any consumer wheel.
12 Nm is the number where the torque capability becomes used rather than ignored. Otherwise, yes, the variable is only for direct drive wheels.

Not January but I'm pretty sure they said Q1 2019....and let's not forget that is already one year after they teased the first screenshots of a supposed "beta".
I love rF2 and S397 but let's not be too complacent here, this is getting ridiculous, and whenever it launches, it won't even include an offline championship :thumbsdown:
Wait what? Did they really say they aren't implementing championships?:roflmao:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back