rF2: Monaco E-Prix Talk 'n' Drive

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We go on track at the new Monaco E-Prix layout

Although the track has been out for a little while now (release article here), it's taken me longer than I would have liked to get into the rig and put together a video on the new circuit - but now it's here!

The Monaco E-Prix layout for rFactor 2 has enjoyed something of a like it or loathe it relationship with the rFactor racing community.. much like the real world series from which it has been taken, and now feels like the right time to finally get out on virtual circuit and find out if the quality level is up to the recent standards enjoyed by players of the simulation.

Fittingly, for this video I've taken control of the latest Gen2 Formula E car and pitched myself against the 2019 grid to sample this new venue - and I'll admit it now - I had an absolute blast.

Not the easiest thing to wheel around a circuit, catch the video at the top of this article and find out what we think of the 2019 layout of the Formula E hosting Monaco E-Prix.

Monaco Formula E E-Prix 2a.jpg
Monaco Formula E E-Prix b.jpg

The rFactor 2 Monaco E-Prix is available from the rF2 Steam Store now.

For more from the world of rFactor 2, head over to the rF2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself involved in the conversation today! If racing against others in a clean environment floats your boat, then we can help you with that too... get yourself over to the rF2 Racing Club page, have a look what's on offer and sign up to race with us!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I see the FE Gen-2 is as optimised as the GT3 DLC was on its release. Luckily DLC GT3 seems fine now in VR but it started out appallingly bad... This one could do with an optimisation pass (or 5) it seems. As an aside, I must say, I find the AI in rf2 nothing to write home about either. I am not sure how people can praise it so much. It slams into you sideways when you are not doing anything particularly odd or abrupt. It slams you in the rear when you are merely following the guy in front... and to add insult to injury, keeps throttle full blast as it ploughs you into walls, sideways up the track etc etc.

We live in an age where AI can control your home/life.. park your car.. drive on city roads (somewhat), but to actually get a computer game to understand how to race on a fixed track with a fixed number of cars... nope.. that's not possible apparently.

As for the Monaco track... I can't tell the difference between the formation lap and a race.. This must be one hell of a spectacle... No passing what so ever... unless you want to be smashed up against a barrier when the AI turns into you. Maybe I am being a bit harsh on the AI, but it quite often ruins your race "out of the blue".

Last edited:
I see the FE Gen-2 is as optimised as the GT3 DLC was on its release. Luckily DLC GT3 seems fine now in VR but it started out appallingly bad... This one could do with an optimisation pass (or 5) it seems. As an aside, I must say, I find the AI in rf2 nothing to write home about either. I am not sure how people can praise it so much. It slams into you sideways when you are not doing anything particularly odd or abrupt. It slams you in the rear when you are merely following the guy in front... and to add insult to injury, keeps throttle full blast as it ploughs you into walls, sideways up the track etc etc.

We live in an age where AI can control your home/life.. park your car.. drive on city roads (somewhat), but to actually get a computer game to understand how to race on a fixed track with a fixed number of cars... nope.. that's not possible apparently.

As for the Monaco track... I can't tell the difference between the formation lap and a race.. This must be one hell of a spectacle... No passing what so ever... unless you want to be smashed up against a barrier when the AI turns into you. Maybe I am being a bit harsh on the AI, but it quite often ruins your race "out of the blue".
I have a video on my YT channel from 2016 that shows the Ai doing some great passing and blocking, it didn't have the on off throttle /brakes that it does now also. Something has definitely changed in the past 2-3 yrs. Other Sims have caught rF2 in so many ways and are now leaving it behind.... Sadly :( I have so many hours in rF2 from years ago but can't play it anymore?

I noticed that with a VR-setup the halo is much less irritating than i was expecting it to be.
You tend to look beyond the halo, while on my 180 degree triple screeen setup it still anoys the hell out of me.

Exactly, in VR, like in real life your eyes work together to "ignore" the vertical bit of the HALO. On triples I suggest you experiment with the "upgrades" to the FE car we provide, which allow you to add a bit of transparency to the vertical bit, creating an effect that is similar: you see through it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back