rF2: McLaren Senna GTR and Aston Martin GTE Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Two Strong Pack 1.jpg

Studio 397 have released the stunning McLaren Senna GTR and Aston Martin Vantage GTE for rFactor 2.

Available as standalone DLC content or part of the ‘Two Strong Pack’, both cars are available to purchase for the simulation with immediate effect.

Adding a brand new category to the sim, the McLaren Senna offers a first look at the upcoming new Hypercar specification of GT racing – a classification set to take over from the retiring LMP class at the head of the endurance racing landscape.

rF2 Two Strong Pack Senna.jpg

Officially unveiled as a limited production mid-engine sports car by McLaren Automotive back at the 2018 Geneva Motor Show, the Senna is earmarked by the famous racing team to take the McLaren name back to the top level of Le Mans competition from the 2020/21 season.

Packing a mighty 4.0l V8 twin-turbocharged engine, the Senna GTR is in its own right an impressive piece of motorsport engineering – however, the look into the future of endurance racing is perhaps what is most exciting about the car – giving sim racers our first view of what is set to come at the pinnacle of long distance endurance racing.

rF2 Two Strong Pack Aston.jpg

The other car in the pack similarly needs no introduction, with Studio 397 dropping the fourth instalment to the popular GTE category within the sim – adding the beautiful Aston Martin Vantage GTE to the title.

The Vantage joins the current GTE field of Porsche, Corvette and BMW within the sim, and inserts a fan favourite car into what is, for me at least, one of the best packs of virtual racing machines anywhere in sim racing.

Both cars are available now, and retails for 4.99 euro each, or around 6.99 euros for the two car ‘Two Strong Pack’.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

What driver aids does the Senna provide im real life? Is there some settings im rf2 like im ams to use real driver aids? Or do i have to change it manually and have to know whats real?

I saw DRS in the dashboard so I better map a button for that. Is the car a Hybrid aswell and additional buttons are needed?

Thanks for answers.

There was a time when I would've bought these cars right away (I already own the GT3 and Endurance packs) but the amount of time I spend in rF2 nowadays doesn't justify it anymore. Maybe if you had focused on fixing core AI and gameplay issues.
Other studios are developing completely new games and catching up in physics/FFB department and are far superior in others while you're taking 3 years to fix the UI so a nice tire model isn't cutting it anymore.
This reflects 100% exactly how I feel about rF2.

When the studio took over rF2 development I was hyped when first improvements and then the first good effort content was released.
I purchased every bit of DLC that was produced - I even bought the electric open wheelers although I did not run them once, just as I wanted to see Studio123 succeed and move rF2 out of the dark ages.

I see they still do a wholesome and honest effort, especially at the communication level (it's getting a bit too much roadmap blog post announcement of announcements of teasers though to be honest and too little to show for).

I am one who was from the beginning most frustrated by the horrific rF2 UI and the constant announcements over a long period of time of improvements to come got old after a while.The UI is killing any possible passion those rare moments when everything about rF2 aligns comes together so that I end up spending no time with rF2 at all any longer.

The substantial quality issues with the last GT3 packs (which I bought and found a good basic effort but sadly lacking substantially in 3D modeling quality for 2018/19 standards), the similar issues with the endurance car pack simply were bitter turnoffs when at the same time Studio123 showed amazing promise with work like the Sebring track which is simply pure bliss.
Due to this enormous wide window of quality from meh to simply beautiful combined with the stone age UI rF2 simply is very, very frustrating, hence I stopped buying anything rF2 (I didn't even buy the Le Mans track although I am a die hard Le Mans fan and from what I hear it is just as amazing as the Sebring track).

Please guys, pretty pretty please fix the UI, ask money for it, sell it as rF3 if you must, I happily buy it at full price and I even happily buy all DLC over again if I must but make rF2 tasty again for those people who simply turned away from rF2 as they are just not willing to cope with the feeling of a half finished product any longer.

Here is a crazy idea - get in touch with Ilja of Content Manager fame - cooperate with him building a UI DLC for rF2 - he is a genius as Content Manager offers probably THE most advanced PC simracing UI out there.
rF2 deserves it. It has (always had) so much potential and could simply be so amazing if it just had the polish of a professionally made product to the standards of today.

he is still free to buy the Senna GTR only, if he thinks that the GT3 and the GTE are the same car.

Well, not really, not if he wants to participate in GTE online races, which will likely include the Aston. I'm actually in the same situation, I simply *had* to get both of the cars regardless of whether I want them or not because the races I will be joining will require them, even if I won't likely be using them myself. (But then again I would get the pack regardless, and I also think 7 euro for both cars is a fair price I have no issue with.)

The dash of the Aston Martin says "GT3" instead of "GTE". :whistling:

Come on guys...if you're gonna charge for content, you have to deliver quality.
Lol I know, proper school boy error. The fact when you turn the lights on, the dash pertaining to lights also does not turn in. Slip lights again are configured to the rev counter.
It's really half arsed at times.

Lol I know, proper school boy error. The fact when you turn the lights on, the dash pertaining to lights also does not turn in. Slip lights again are configured to the rev counter.
It's really half arsed at times.
This right here is why I am not buying any more DLC (I have the GT3 and Endurance DLC). I know I will be bothered by all the half arsed things I'll notice. The sad thing is they are almost really good cars it's just that last 5% that's missing. Like they release them in beta state and never bother finishing them.

This reflects 100% exactly how I feel about rF2.

When the studio took over rF2 development I was hyped when first improvements and then the first good effort content was released.
I purchased every bit of DLC that was produced - I even bought the electric open wheelers although I did not run them once, just as I wanted to see Studio123 succeed and move rF2 out of the dark ages.

I see they still do a wholesome and honest effort, especially at the communication level (it's getting a bit too much roadmap blog post announcement of announcements of teasers though to be honest and too little to show for).

I am one who was from the beginning most frustrated by the horrific rF2 UI and the constant announcements over a long period of time of improvements to come got old after a while.The UI is killing any possible passion those rare moments when everything about rF2 aligns comes together so that I end up spending no time with rF2 at all any longer.

The substantial quality issues with the last GT3 packs (which I bought and found a good basic effort but sadly lacking substantially in 3D modeling quality for 2018/19 standards), the similar issues with the endurance car pack simply were bitter turnoffs when at the same time Studio123 showed amazing promise with work like the Sebring track which is simply pure bliss.
Due to this enormous wide window of quality from meh to simply beautiful combined with the stone age UI rF2 simply is very, very frustrating, hence I stopped buying anything rF2 (I didn't even buy the Le Mans track although I am a die hard Le Mans fan and from what I hear it is just as amazing as the Sebring track).

Please guys, pretty pretty please fix the UI, ask money for it, sell it as rF3 if you must, I happily buy it at full price and I even happily buy all DLC over again if I must but make rF2 tasty again for those people who simply turned away from rF2 as they are just not willing to cope with the feeling of a half finished product any longer.

Here is a crazy idea - get in touch with Ilja of Content Manager fame - cooperate with him building a UI DLC for rF2 - he is a genius as Content Manager offers probably THE most advanced PC simracing UI out there.
rF2 deserves it. It has (always had) so much potential and could simply be so amazing if it just had the polish of a professionally made product to the standards of today.

No offence to the creators of content manager, but I think even Ilja would have had a hard time to do the work that S123 put in and at this point (UI is pretty much coming to open beta phase) it makes zero sense to throw away the labor of 1 to 2 years. It is not just about creating a content manager but to rewrite the whole UI from scratch, to seperate it from the core game and integrate the competition infrastucture while offering atleast the same and in some places more functionality. I can understand some reservations about the quality control regarding content and I think there should have been put more effort to implement better systems for dashes in first place and some stuff shouldn't slip, but there is obviously a priority list for stuff that get's developed. Why the UI took as long as it did is old info by now, so I think it doesn't make much sense to complain about it anymore. Selling that UI as rF3 would do nothing different than to annoy people at this point. If you really think that this would be a good marketing move, you should propably stay away from sim business. :p

Btw, get Le Mans. It is of exceptional quality. ;)

UI dlc... No.

The thing is if I understand correctly the new ui for rf2 is essentially a web site type of thing and this means two things. Firstly it means that there is likely going to be separate .exe for the actual game which is controlled by the ui (which could be some kind of web site) and then a launcher which is or uses some kind of interwebs technology mazik. Technically this could mean that you could take the content manager and use it control rf2. The way cm launches ac is that it creates an ini file which has all the settings for the session and passes that to the game exe. If rf2 ui functions in the same way then the first hurdle is passed.

That being said rf2 content is still packed in very complex way and while cm is very powerful it needs to be able to access inside rf2's mas files so it can do simple and complex things like list cars and tracks and manage car configs (load pictures of cars and skins and show info packed inside the text files). The main reason why cm works so well with ac is that ac was designed as modding platform form the beginning and it has very open file structure. You can read a lot about the type of content you have in a car or track folder just from the files that are accessible straight from windows explorer. Rf2 is quite different and everything is packed, encrypted and packed in layers of obfuscation. Just to read something like car list in rf2 is several multiplies more difficult compared to ac where a simple .bat script can create that kind of list about anything really.

This leads to the question how open is studio397 to actually allowing people to make their own ui for the game. Not just editing what they offer but making a full blown separate interface/launcher with its own powerful features. Is the system going to be locked down and how much. Iracing also has web based ui but you can't make your own even if you were not trying to bypass iracing server checks. So you have ac which is 99% open and iracing which is 99% closed and encrypted.

There are also other considerations. For ac content manager makes sense because ac development is dead. There are no more patches coming. So cm has a stable platform to understand and control and can focus completely on adding new features and fixing bugs. With rf2 you are most likely looking at doing all that plus active maintenance. Whenever rf2 pushes out a patch it is likely that cm breaks and needs its own patch where you need to figure out issues and fix them while people have broken ui (and considering how poorly s397 is willing to share this kind of info these delays could be longer than normally). Not to mention a lot of cm functionality depends on what rf2 can do. If some values are simply not available you could end up with server browser with no car list or some other session setting or thing like adjusting ai settings for each car in a race session for example.

There is also the ui in content manager itself. I'd say content manager is very powerful but it is not a master piece from usability point of view. Lots of its features are hidden way and behind many menus and small icons and personally I've seen quite a few editors inside cm that I have not been able to find. Cm is also quite powerful and I think s397 may not be comfortable with giving users that amount of power over their so called modding platform.

looks good but nothing in this requires a nearly $8 price tag for two cars. ill probably wait for a sale to buy these but also i hope S397 focus on fixing the game up instead of pushing out overpriced DLC.
Over priced dlc, my god I have no words, seriously, I think they have priced these so low just to try and save people from crying, I can't see them making much money off these be ause they are basically giving them away at 7 for the two.
My god some folks really do think they are entitled to the world

looks good but nothing in this requires a nearly $8 price tag for two cars. ill probably wait for a sale to buy these but also i hope S397 focus on fixing the game up instead of pushing out overpriced DLC.

You think the DLC is overpriced too? You ought to do what I did.

I bought their overpriced DLC. I bought Sebring, that overpriced track. Sure, it's the best Sebring ever done for a Sim but look how much it costs! Then I bought a bunch of overpriced cars and I bought another overpriced track, man they soaked me. But I got Marcel back, LOL.

I hung out outside their office and when Marcel came out I confronted him. There he was, he had a Rolex watch on his right wrist, he had another Rolex on his left wrist and he had a necklace with a Rolex hanging off it too! And he was just about to get into his daily driver. You know what that is? He daily drives a McLaren F1. He was just opening the door when I said "hold it! I bought your overpriced DLC and you owe me! Give me those keys, I'm taking that F1". You know what he had the nerve to say? He said "you're not taking my F1, you got your DLC and I don't care how much you had to pay for it!"

Well I had had enough. He wasn't going to get away with this, not with me! So the two of us threw down and I got those keys. I have to hand it to Marcel, he's one tough nut. He nearly took me but my homeboys jumped in, two of them-- just the right amount for the three of us to drive off in that McLaren F1-- and we took him. He was lying on the ground bleeding from his mouth and wiping the blood with one of his Rolexes. I will never forget what he said in that moment. "Go ahead and take the F1, the DLC pricing allowed me to buy two of them! I'll just drive my other one from now on! " Then he laughed maniacally as we got in the car and drove off.

If you try this you'll probably be able to get his other F1 or maybe one of his other super cars that he drives off of the back of us high paying DLC customers. It'll serve him right!

You think the DLC is overpriced too? You ought to do what I did.

I bought their overpriced DLC. I bought Sebring, that overpriced track. Sure, it's the best Sebring ever done for a Sim but look how much it costs! Then I bought a bunch of overpriced cars and I bought another overpriced track, man they soaked me. But I got Marcel back, LOL.

I hung out outside their office and when Marcel came out I confronted him. There he was, he had a Rolex watch on his right wrist, he had another Rolex on his left wrist and he had a necklace with a Rolex hanging off it too! And he was just about to get into his daily driver. You know what that is? He daily drives a McLaren F1. He was just opening the door when I said "hold it! I bought your overpriced DLC and you owe me! Give me those keys, I'm taking that F1". You know what he had the nerve to say? He said "you're not taking my F1, you got your DLC and I don't care how much you had to pay for it!"

Well I had had enough. He wasn't going to get away with this, not with me! So the two of us threw down and I got those keys. I have to hand it to Marcel, he's one tough nut. He nearly took me but my homeboys jumped in, two of them-- just the right amount for the three of us to drive off in that McLaren F1-- and we took him. He was lying on the ground bleeding from his mouth and wiping the blood with one of his Rolexes. I will never forget what he said in that moment. "Go ahead and take the F1, the DLC pricing allowed me to buy two of them! I'll just drive my other one from now on! " Then he laughed maniacally as we got in the car and drove off.

If you try this you'll probably be able to get his other F1 or maybe one of his other super cars that he drives off of the back of us high paying DLC customers. It'll serve him right!
Last time I saw Marcel he was on his multi million pound super yacht, laughing evilly shouting I have your money.
He's evil that Marcel, selling two top notch cars for 7 euro

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 143 13.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years