rF2 McLaren 650s Released - GT3 Pack Confirmed...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 McLaren 650s GT3.jpg

Studio 397 have released the new McLaren 650s DLC and opened pre orders for the newly announced GT3 DLC pack coming September...

Already confirmed as part of the 'Worlds Fastest Gamer' competition and marking the first time rFactor 2 has been in receipt of paid DLC content, the McLaren 650s GT3 DLC has caused something of a stir within the sim racing community in recent weeks.

Developed by Studio 397 in conjunction with both McLaren themselves and several GT3 teams who run the beautiful cars, the new DLC promises to be one of the most accurate first party additions in the history of the simulation.

Developed completely in house by Studio 397, the McLaren will be their fourth car release since taking over development of the simulation from Image Space Incorporated, and the new vehicle will be the first release under the new paid DLC structure introduced by the developers.

Retailing for £4.46 via the rFactor 2 Steam Store page, the car will actually form part of a wider five car GT3 release scheduled to hit later in the year in September.

Although pre order sales for the new GT3 pack have opened up, Studio 397 and rFactor 2 have yet to reveal which cars will be joining the McLaren in the simulation come release day. Although announcements are sure to come in the following days and weeks, it is known that the four as yet unannounced machines have been developed with full support and backing of the relevant manufacturers, allowing Studio 397 to lavish the same level of attention to detail across the whole pack as has been given to the new McLaren.

The 650s and upcoming GT3 pack are the first of several newly rationalised DLC offerings expected to be coming to rFactor 2 over the next few months and years.

Studio 397 have gone on record several times to reiterate that content releases for rFactor 2 will be more focussed towards releasing packs of related cars and classes in future, rather than the sometimes disjointed single car releases that seem to be the plague of the sim racing marketplace in recent years.

Catching a brief chat with Studio 397 head @Marcel Offermans tonight, the Dutchman had plenty to say about the bright future of rFactor 2 and the interesting DLC packs coming to the sim over the next few months.

When asked what the short, medium and long term future looks like for rFactor 2 content, Offermans confirmed that although plenty of officially licenced DLC is in the works, issues around non disclosure agreements and manufacturer approvals prevent the studio from revealing too much at this stage of development, however he did go on to confirm the studio plan to further make use of the Steam item store for not only official content, but third party releases too..

"We plan to open up this item store to third party paid content too, obviously making sure that content meets certain quality standards, is not ripped, properly licensed, etc (and we can work with people to achieve that)" said Marcel.​

This could potentially be a game changer for modding teams, especially with the confirmation that Studio 397 are willing to work alongside modding teams to secure the proper licencing rights and quality standards required to bring paid content to the simulation.

Moving on to the subject of tracks, it has been stated again that the developers plan to bring laserscanning locations to the simulation in the near future, in an effort to best replicate tracks to a standard now becoming something of an expectation of the sim racing community:

"...that is something we’re working on behind the scenes at the moment, and similar to cars we want to also come with paid, licensed and laser scanned tracks there.

However despite the recent pay DLC McLaren and upcoming GT3 pack, Offermans has confirmed that the simulation will still be in receipt of free add-ons too, ensuring those not willing to go down the DLC route still get something new to enjoy in the near future:

"Our strategy won’t be to only create paid content, we will keep mixing it up with free content"

"(as for) volume, well, that depends a bit on how things go. We see content as an accelerator to further grow the platform, and also as the basis for our upcoming competition infrastructure as that clearly needs some good, aligned content"
On a final note during our brief midnight hours chat, Marcel confirmed the developers are in the process of "releasing a few guides on how to properly use this paid content when hosting a dedicated server and when using it in leagues", which should help clubs and leagues like our own here at RaceDepartment make the best use of this exciting new content.

Stay tuned to RaceDepartment for a more detailed interview with Marcel Offermans and Studio 397 in the next couple of weeks.... (when time allows anyway!!!)...

The McLaren 650s is available to purchase now, with the GT3 pack to follow come September.

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation developed by Studio 397. You can purchase the McLaren 650s HERE and pre order the upcoming 5 car GT3 pack HERE.

rF2 McLaren 650s GT3 2.jpg
rF2 McLaren 650s GT3 3.jpg
rF2 McLaren 650s GT3 4.jpg
rF2 McLaren 650s GT3 6.jpg

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Have you tried the new McLaren yet? Will you be pre-ordering the GT3 pack? What do you think of the new DLC pricing structure? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I already spent like 60€ in content of Raceroom. And that game is getting dust on the virtual shelf that is my 99+ uninstalled Steam games.

Not happening again. I'll stick with rF2's free content, Assetto & its DLC's (except ferrari's) and AMS.

I think it's worth pointing out that you can also consider these paid DLCs as investing in the genre as a whole. Whether you drive car x, y, or z often enough to consider it good value or not... a good fraction of that money is reinvested by devs to make future cars, tracks, and sims that might not be produced otherwise.

If you like simracing in general then in my opinion its worth putting down a few bucks to maintain a regular income stream for devs and make the whole genre sustainable. Imagine how much it would suck if simracing as a whole became a WEC 2016-17 situation were two of the top teams pulled out because it wasn't financially worth their while.

No disrespect if you can't afford paid DLC, I'm just trying to give an opinion about the way people who can afford them sometimes make short sighted value claims.

I think it's worth pointing out that you can also consider these paid DLCs as investing in the genre as a whole. Whether you drive car x, y, or z often enough to consider it good value or not... a good fraction of that money is reinvested by devs to make future cars, tracks, and sims that might not be produced otherwise.

If you like simracing in general then in my opinion its worth putting down a few bucks to maintain a regular income stream for devs and make the whole genre sustainable. Imagine how much it would suck if simracing as a whole became a WEC 2016-17 situation were two of the top teams pulled out because it wasn't financially worth their while.

No disrespect if you can't afford paid DLC, I'm just trying to give an opinion about the way people who can afford them sometimes make short sighted value claims.
I support quality if I think I will enjoy the content. Otherwise, I keep my money. If something's not financially viable, it needs to die and something else will take its place.

Like most people here, I can afford all the content on Raceroom, iRacing and of course rF2. That money is staying home unless the value proposition and quality are acceptable. Trying to shame the "community" is a pretty lame tactic that even devs wouldn't pull. Maybe SMS or Kunos, but that's another story.

Trying to shame the "community" is a pretty lame tactic that even devs wouldn't pull.

Don't think I was "trying to shame" anybody with my post...

I will let others test first, of course.

... but now that you mention it and because you explicitly say you can afford it then I actually do think your attitude that "of course" other people can bear the cost of guiding your decision-making is a little selfish.

I already spent like 60€ in content of Raceroom. And that game is getting dust on the virtual shelf that is my 99+ uninstalled Steam games.

Not happening again. I'll stick with rF2's free content, Assetto & its DLC's (except ferrari's) and AMS.
Don't forget you can get a full refund from steam if you don't like the purchase.I think it's something like 72 hours(not totally sure).I can say this car is on a whole other level for rf2 first party quality.If your an rf2 fan you simply must buy the five car pack or you will be missing out on something really nice!

$5.90 actually. Also, do remember that iRacing will charge you $11.95 per car.

Yes you're right $5.90. I was looking at it on my phone when I was at work. Eyes ain't what they used to be. :cool:
And yes I'm totally aware of iRenting's pricing. I've already ranted about that. :D

So far the reviews have been mediocre on the McLaren. I'm not going to jump in on this one like I normally do. I'm just going to wait. Don't think I'm missing anything with this one. :sleep:

Don't forget you can get a full refund from steam if you don't like the purchase.I think it's something like 72 hours(not totally sure).

Refunds on In-game Purchases
Steam will offer refund for in-game purchases within any Valve-developed games within forty-eight hours of purchase, so long as the in-game item has not been consumed, modified or transferred. Third-party developers will have the option to enable refunds for in-game items on these terms. Steam will tell you at the time of purchase if the game developer has opted to offer refunds on the in-game item you are buying. Otherwise, in-game purchases in non-Valve games are not refundable through Steam.

Don't think I was "trying to shame" anybody with my post...

... but now that you mention it and because you explicitly say you can afford it then I actually do think your attitude that "of course" other people can bear the cost of guiding your decision-making is a little selfish.
I can either:

Buy the McLaren for too much money to see if I like it or not.
Buy the car pack without even knowing what's in it or how it drives.
Let others buy it first and talk about what they like or dislike about it to have an idea.
Or buy the content, try it and get a refund, which is a hassle.

You see, I will always be selfish when it comes to products, electronic or otherwise. They don't love me, I don't love them. It's a business transaction, no more, no less. I keep my generosity for the living.

I can afford many things, doesn't mean I should buy them. Choosing defines the self, and I always strive to choose wisely, whether it's 3 dollars or 1000 dollars.

Another shaming attempt unsuccessful. :/

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 143 13.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 97 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 75 7.1%
  • < 5 years