rF2: Longford (re) Released!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Longford 5.jpg rF2 Longford 6.jpg rF2 Longford 7.jpg rF2 Longford 9.jpg rF2 Longford 10.jpg rF2 Longford 8.jpg
A new, free track has been released for rFactor 2 with the remastering and updating to DX11 standards of the historic Longford location.

Originally starting out life as a very well put together mod circuit by @woochoo, the Longford Circuit mod very quickly found itself adopted as official rFactor 2 content, and as such the development team behind the title and woochoo have found the temptation to spend some time updating the track to modern rF2 standards far too inviting, and have today re released the freshly updated circuit as additional free content on the Steam Workshop.

You can download Longford Circuit for rFactor 2 HERE, but be aware this link will overwrite previous version of the track in your rF2 install..

From the Studio 397 release notes:

We’re excited when it’s time to release content, or in this case re-release content that’s been updated and improved with all the latest weather and DX11 effects – adding quality, compatible content to the track roster, is always a welcome addition!

Long time community member and hyper dedicated modder “woochoo”, has once again re-sharpened his skills, learned how to integrate the latest weather and lighting effects, and proceeded to overhaul and create a revised version of the track Longford, a track that so many of us classic fans have enjoyed over the years in rFactor 2. We decided because of this it was more than worthy to be part of the base set of tracks in rFactor 2, and also as a show of our dedication to support quality modder content.

rF2 Longford 1.jpg
rF2 Longford 2.jpg
rF2 Longford 3.jpg
rF2 Longford 4.jpg

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

What do you think of the Longford Circuit? Do you like the new DX11 / Rain Features update to the track? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Tried this out last night and came away really impressed. I only have a cursory knowledge of how these track builds are done but I look at something like Longford and Road Atlanta (I believe that's also from a mod) and see a labor of love. Must have taken a lot of hours with all the attention to detail and the sheer quality of all that I was seeing. In fact, I went off track a few times just looking around.

On a different note: I tried driving one of the older cars. Again, I'm not a classics guy so don't know the cars but it's the one in the Monaco trailer a few posts earlier. Uh... the guys that drove those things were friggin' fearless! What a handful! Scared the bejeezus out of me! :confused: I quickly realized I was going to have to crawl before I could run and started out - actually, re-started out - slooooooow. That in combination of not knowing the track - though a simple layout - well... let's just say I got intimate with the grassy bits. And some of the walls. Oh... and I think there was a post or two that landed in my lap. Fun times! :p

You're not messing around with your motherboard at all. All you are doing is enabling the Gen 3 option (which makes a big difference in rf2 and other games), but just requires a patch that I linked..
I think that patch just works for the x79 platform mobos.
So no magic for me then, pffff just got too excited:cry:
----------------------
Reiza DLC is coming and after that in Simracing Expo they'll have some surprises for us:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back when Longford was one of the more challenging Tasman Cup venues Lex Davison threw his Brabham Climax (IIRC) at something solid and broke it. Fortunately he was only shaken and as this happened almost on the doorstep of the Longford Pub he strolled in to the bar and ordered a very large Brandy! :O_o:

Last edited:
Exploring Longford off-track is encouraged. Try swimming in the river, hitting fence gates, etc.

;) never tired of Longford Cops

for me thing makes rF2 refreshing is free-roam
and .............
Objects have dynamic effect on car
You climb stairs not fall into a black hole
When you hit a haybale fast at Belgium you actually feel it
Yes you can open gates smash into barriers, fling posts
You can climb the ledges on the outside of Bournville and watch race
No invisible walls like other sims if the car gets airborne towards a fence
Although it is overdone rF2's rolling resistance and gravity level makes cars feel nice & light when they should
and sure being able to do a 360 loop and land on 4 wheels again is over the top but
better then the alternatives in other titles

Thanks for the huge response, everyone :)
And thanks to 397 for helping out with the testing and publicity :)
I remember I had to rush the v1.0 release for rF1 because rF2 came out, and ever since then I've been clawing to get back to v1.0 status! Delighted!
That doesn't mean rF3 is around the corner.
I hope not, anyway.
Not yet, at least.
I need to rest! :roflmao:

I'm really happy so many people are still enjoying Longford, and some people are just discovering it :thumbsup:

I made a few other videos for it too. Here is one if you're interested :)
It's sort of a remake of my old v097 video, and it also sort of follows on from the new 1min v1.0 release promo vid in the OP

Last edited:
@woochoo you Sir are a genius! and I truly appreciate your efforts!

I've been enjoying this track hugely for days now with the Brabham BT44B. (Thanks again to @Stephen Gibb for the suggestion) I'm new to rF2 and this combo is one of the most immersive experiences I've had in sim racing. :thumbsup:

However today I've had issues in every race in VR (Rift) where the game just freezes for a second or three before restarting but I then find myself a second or three down the road and usually in the barrier, in a field :) or rear-ending a competitor. That's not happened before and my races have always run buttery smooth. Sometimes instead of the game freezing, I get the VR-content loading screen and I have to ctrl-alt-delete to then get out of the game. I haven't changed any settings whatsoever.

Any ideas? (I haven't managed to replicate with other tracks yet)

Thanks.

@woochoo you Sir are a genius! and I truly appreciate your efforts!
If it's genius, my recipe is years of learning, research, and hard slog :)
every race in VR (Rift) where the game just freezes for a second or three before restarting...
... Any ideas? (I haven't managed to replicate with other tracks yet)...
No idea about that at all, i'm sorry. Hopefully someone else can help

However today I've had issues in every race in VR (Rift) where the game just freezes for a second or three before restarting but I then find myself a second or three down the road and usually in the barrier, in a field :) or rear-ending a competitor. That's not happened before and my races have always run buttery smooth. Sometimes instead of the game freezing, I get the VR-content loading screen and I have to ctrl-alt-delete to then get out of the game. I haven't changed any settings whatsoever.

These types of problems are hard to diagnose remotely, but from your description it seems there is some kind of freeze of the graphics whilst the physics keep running (hence you ending up in the barrier without seeing it). The VR content loading screen confirms that, as this one will pop up not just strictly when the game is loading something (although that is when you normally see it) but also when the graphics freeze and have nothing else to display. The reason for that is rather technical and boring. So what's causing this? If you have not changed anything to your rFactor 2 settings, I would go and look for other changes, or software running in the background. Maybe Windows decided to download a big update, or your virus scanner did a sweep of your system. Such things usually cause a lot of problems.

These types of problems are hard to diagnose remotely, but from your description it seems there is some kind of freeze of the graphics whilst the physics keep running (hence you ending up in the barrier without seeing it). The VR content loading screen confirms that, as this one will pop up not just strictly when the game is loading something (although that is when you normally see it) but also when the graphics freeze and have nothing else to display. The reason for that is rather technical and boring. So what's causing this? If you have not changed anything to your rFactor 2 settings, I would go and look for other changes, or software running in the background. Maybe Windows decided to download a big update, or your virus scanner did a sweep of your system. Such things usually cause a lot of problems.

Many thanks for this and I'm pretty certain you are on to something.

Not sure if it's related or not but I suddenly noticed that one of my Steam Workshop subscriptions, (Enduracers), was displaying an error when I returned to the desktop UI after exiting the game after experiencing the problem. (And this was repeated after shutdown / restart etc)

I don't recall seeing that message there before when the sim was running without issue, so maybe something has gone on in the background during game play relating to the this mod, which caused the issue you describe.

I've uninstalled it now so will see if that fixes things although I'm away for a week or so now so will have to report back.

Thanks again.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back