rF2: Graphic bugs: Things to check first.

If you have graphic bugs. Check these things first:

If you ever had changed something in the nvidia control panel, turned HDR off, changed graphic cards, in the past. Your graphic bugs might be still present.

- Set your nvidia control panel for rFactor 2 to default !!! It messes with the Config.ini and cache !!!
- Clean up your "UserData/log/CBash" and "UserData/log/shader" folder
- Remove the player.json and config.ini (cut/past to desktop to keep a back-up)
- launche rF2 it will create a new clean config.ini and player.json.
- set your graphic settings again: only use settings available in rF2.

Tip: save your controller settings first. So you can load your personal controller profile again.

Quote from Tuttle (ISI Dev)

Starting from a clean installation, with a clean player/config file, the best way to proceed with graphics settings is to JUST use ingame settings, pushing on high AA levels and anisotropic filtering x8 or x16 (and of course good track/car quality settings)...and that without overriding anything via inspector and/or CCP.

(Also HDR must be ON if you want a proper modern lighting.)

This way you can load the game and check how it looks. If you see trees are looking properly (no alpha jaggies) and texture are sharp enough to see details into it (aniso texture filtering), you can decide to be happy (and stop tweaking)...or start experimenting extra settings, outside the game.

But this is the time where you can mess with profiles and configs, so you have to check every single step, and every single click you are doing with CCPs and inspectors, to see how things are working. May happen a CCP/Inspector change is going to mess the config.ini and cache... and you can't just roll back from those settings, without cleaning up that file (aka generating a brand new one). Same for the Players.JSON and Transparency AA, or xpaa, using False to make wrong trees looking better and then making correct trees looking wrong.

Still, the easy way to make the game looking at best, is to go easy peasy, with standard ingame settings. This is where you are working inside our choices, instead playing with a very big mix of variables we can't control.

Last edited:
thx 4reply
OK . No i didnt clean anything cause lol i am totally unaware about things like that ex. what is a DDU and a reg cleaner where to find that.

update i found those 2 things , can you tell me how to proceed ?
whatever i select in reg clean to remove it wont remove gettin errors after ignoring errors its not deleting files either

DDU uninstalls graphics drivers. http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
A reg cleaner: i use CCleaner. It's freeware and works like charm for me. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

But here comes the thing: You needed to unistall the amd drivers before you took your HD 7970 out. :whistling:
Don't know how to solve it now. :( You could try to uninstall all the graphic drivers and install the Nvidia drivers again.

A friend of mine made the same mistake with a PC upgrade. We backed up everything he needed and did a fresh windows install.

yes i uninstalled all drivers and reinstalled nvidia drivers now still all works only not working is rf2 getting error setting video mode

You can do what's in the first post. rFactor2 will generate new files based on your new graphics card.
If shaders and other files are stil based on your previous graphics card. It could cause some trouble.

- Clean up / delete all files in your "UserData/log/CBash" and "UserData/log/shader" folder
- launche rF2 it will create a new clean config.ini, player.json and shader cache.

You can do what's in the first post. rFactor2 will generate new files based on your new graphics card.
If shaders and other files are stil based on your previous graphics card. It could cause some trouble.

- Clean up / delete all files in your "UserData/log/CBash" and "UserData/log/shader" folder
- launche rF2 it will create a new clean config.ini, player.json and shader cache.

done all that still when i wanna join a race getting the normal screen but after 20 sec getting" error setting video mode" and then rf2 stopped working and its closing programma

DDU uninstalls graphics drivers. http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
A reg cleaner: i use CCleaner. It's freeware and works like charm for me. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

But here comes the thing: You needed to unistall the amd drivers before you took your HD 7970 out. :whistling:
Don't know how to solve it now. :( You could try to uninstall all the graphic drivers and install the Nvidia drivers again.

A friend of mine made the same mistake with a PC upgrade. We backed up everything he needed and did a fresh windows install.

i think i have to do the same : i have almost all programmss om G drive and only windows and some other things on c drive so i think if correct i can just unplug g drive do a new install and then connect g drive again ?

i think i have to do the same : i have almost all programmss om G drive and only windows and some other things on c drive so i think if correct i can just unplug g drive do a new install and then connect g drive again ?
Reinstall "Windows"? If so, you may want to reconsider that strategy. Keep in mind that if you reinstall Windows you will have to reinstall all of your applications also - they won't continue to work after a fresh Windows install just because they are on a different drive/partition.

Ok William but that would be the same as making a backup on a external drive ? in this case G drive harddisk is backup or not ?

strange thinhg is that every thing / game is working only rf2 is doing strange it starts but the view incar i get is very strange

Not sure I follow Peter, but if you are talking "data" backed up on another non-Windows system drive/partition you are correct. You can continue to use that "data" after a Windows reinstall. But, for applications they store their paramertes/licensing etc. in the Windows registry. A clean Windows install starts with a clean registry (database) as if no applications have been installed.
Maybe I'm not understanding, if so, disregard.
As for your rF2 issue, that's very strange. To me something is out of wack with the graphics drivers and Windows (I too have a GTX1070, not that it matters). I've been running rF2 for a few years, and have upgraded Windows and graphic cards over the years but haven't experienced your problem so I can't be of much help. All I know is it's very important to take care when dealing with graphics drivers - I always remove drivers completely before removing cards and always do "clean" installs for updated drivers. For what it's worth, I've had way more problems over the years with AMD than with Nvidia drivers, the Nvidia install process seems to be pretty reliable.
Also note, there is a tight integration with Windows and graphic drivers. Example, the Nvidia driver prior to the latest caused "start menu" problems for many, myself included, where rearranging the start menu icons wouldn't work correctly. I wouldn't have thought that the Nvidia driver would have an affect on the Windows start menu icon management... just saying.
Good luck! rF2 is my favorite sim for offline/AI racing - nothing else comes close.

Ok thanks for helping i goiung to proceed with the G drive and fresh windows install on C drive and see what happens in the worst case i have to reinstall / redownload some games , will make another extra backup from documents on HDD drive .
Lest pray:whistling:

AFTER a bad night and lots off bad 2day i have new win10 installed everything works but only rf2 still dissaster look : http://plays.tv/video/5820941c95cdeb6ee5/raar-rf2-beeld?from=user
also when i press i and then car has to be controlled by AI that also not working , the view you see in link is cockpit view .

and only RF2 has this problemm iRacing AC AMS RF1 all work fine

Was this your problem from the beginning. :redface:
It's what Marcel said. :p

It's best to start with a default profile created for your wheel. G27, CSW, ....

no all rest work s fine after new windows install everything on my G drive is still ok

actually whats concerning rf2 problem is still same as before so nothing gained yet , btw LFS is the only other sim with the same issue as rf2

Could it be that you have the control to "look left" assigned to some button or axis that is constantly pressed/rotated? Try changing that control (or deleting anything assigned to it).[/QUOT

WHERE YOU BEEN ALLL THAT TIME :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: was look left and also behind that were connected to a device.

BUT THE BIGGEST THING IS HOW THAT HAPPENEND I DIDNT CHANGE IT .

ANYWAY Why it all was about in the beginning : the flickering off my screen in RF2 after changing graphic cards is SOLVED also :thumbsup::) after new WIN 10 install

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 252 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 168 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 124 7.5%
  • < 5 years