rF2: Gen2 Formula E and Lester Special Edition Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have released the new Gen2 2019 Formula E DLC for rFactor 2 - including the free Lester Special Edition circuit.

Having entered into a licencing agreement with the all electric Formula E category in time for a 2017 'Energise Formula E DLC' pack to launch for rFactor 2 back in November 2017, studio 397 have made use of their high profile partnership to create the latest generation car from the series.

Featuring the full field of drivers and the new, more powerful and more advanced Gen2 car, the DLC pack is available now for the very reasonable sum of £4.99.

Coming with the single car and liveries from the current season, the latest DLC is more than just a fresh 3D model - the developers have used the opportunity to create new physics behaviour to best replicate this type of unique racing...

This release of the Formula E Gen2 is not just about the car itself. We have been hard at work adding in new physics features to enable the very latest of brake-by-wire technology. You might ask, what does this mean? Brake-by-wire in layman’s terms simply means that the entire braking circuit is handled ‘electronically’ based on the amount of pressure you put on the brake pedal (kind of like your home sim rig!). This electronic signal from the brake pedal is then split between the ‘electric motor’ and the ‘brake rotor’. In real life, the balance of this split is up to the race team engineer.

Engineers will seek to maximize the motor regeneration of the battery. This means the brake-by-wire system will use the maximum negative torque capability (braking power) of the electric motor before starting to apply force to the physical brake disc. The brake discs will only kick in if the requested torque needed for braking exceeds what the electric motor is capable of. However, given that the rear brakes will then struggle to generate any temperature, an engineer may choose to have some force applied to the discs just to ensure that the carbon discs don’t glaze over.

This is in addition to the absence of a rear brake duct for the Formula E. Our new system’s algorithm is currently based on this optimal balance. What this all means….mash that brake pedal and watch your battery charge up!
As well as the new DLC, a special Formula E themed version of the fantasy Lester circuit has also been released, available to download independently of the Gen2 car, the 'Special Edition' Lester circuit is also available now from the Steam workshop.

rF2 Formula E Released 4.jpg
rF2 Formula E Released 5.jpg

rFactor 2 is available for PC now.

For more rFactor 2 news and community discussion, head over to the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and keen in touch with the news as it happens. If you like your sim racing in a fun and fair environment, why not check out the rFactor 2 Racing Club here at RD? Premium members have the opportunity to get in the thick of the action with our regular and high quality racing events.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Am I the only one who thinks the fronts lock way to easiely? When I'm at 30-40 percent brake pressure (input not setup) the lock completely. I almost had to let the car roll into the corners and let the regen do most of the braking.

Edit: Okay I've found a solution. Turn down the max pedal force a lot, got it at 65% at the moment and play a bit with the brake bias.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks the fronts lock way to easiely? When I'm at 30-40 percent brake pressure (input not setup) the lock completely. I almost had to let the car roll into the corners and let the regen do most of the braking.
these cars probably have strong brakes, with street tyres, and obviously no ABS

I agree, the formula e gen 2 car mod for assetto corsa does this to. I know they lock quite often in real tho, so maybe its just how these cars are. But very hard to control that without feedback in the brake pedal and a very soft spring(g27). Really hard to get used to, but I guess we just have to try.

absolutely loved to drive gen 1 in rf2, bought gen 2 few hours ago, love it as well, drove a race in paris where theyll drive next week. i think the tracks have yet to implement the attack mode.
one thing i did hate about the gen1 cars in rf2 is the AI, its terrible. unfortunately, in paris with these gen 2 cars, they still had some issues, they did not know how to drive the last corner and did some really weird things there. with the gen 1 mod, the AI did not know how to drive tight chicanes, basically they drove as far away from the walls as possible and were extremely slow. no chicanes in paris tho so cant comment on that yet.

absolutely loved to drive gen 1 in rf2, bought gen 2 few hours ago, love it as well, drove a race in paris where theyll drive next week. i think the tracks have yet to implement the attack mode.
one thing i did hate about the gen1 cars in rf2 is the AI, its terrible. unfortunately, in paris with these gen 2 cars, they still had some issues, they did not know how to drive the last corner and did some really weird things there. with the gen 1 mod, the AI did not know how to drive tight chicanes, basically they drove as far away from the walls as possible and were extremely slow. no chicanes in paris tho so cant comment on that yet. heres an example of a race i recorded (1:57 if the link doesnt get you to that point automatically)
2 chicanes in a row even
I think it's a modder fault who created AIW for that track , not gen1/gen2's AI.

i see, sure takes down some of the experience regardless. kinda stupid that we only get the official car and not the official fe tracks too
I totally agree, I got bought the gen1 also and although I enjoyed driving it, with one track it soon got boring, the mod tracks are often just not up to standard and only good for hotlapping. I would have though this would have come with at least one more official track

RMR1

@Simberia
4,99€ according to steam store. When I wanted to buy it, steam told me I had to pay in their virtual currency, charging 5€.
I thought this stupidity has gone, the last DLCs I could pay via PayPal without doing stupid conversions.

So no thank you very much, keep your rip off ****.

4,99€ according to steam store. When I wanted to buy it, steam told me I had to pay in their virtual currency, charging 5€.
I thought this stupidity has gone, the last DLCs I could pay via PayPal without doing stupid conversions.

Whats the issue? You can add steam currency through your paypal, and its only 1 cent more.
Also as far as i know it has always been this way with rF2 content

I know what you mean but I think it's just the implementation in this case. I mean rFactor2 uses the item workshop store similar to Counter Strike for weapon skins etc so it's not a standard DLC purchase in a way. You just need to add credit to your Steam account for the required amount and then authorise the purchase. I've never really had an issue using it to be honest...

Everyone does not calculate using the current market, it is what it is
Some even charge for the conversion and always charge more then current market, always

Since Steam accepted Australian dollar it is spot on and no extra Paypal charge

Our unique tyres are hybrids specially designed by Michelin, suitable for all weather conditions, last the entire race, and are all recycled at the end of the day

So unique and specifically designed, where this article never mentions the word ......... guess they have found them not easy to make :barefoot:

Calling ISI !

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 90 19.2%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.1%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000