rF2 | Free Bentley Continental GT3 Release + Substantial BOP Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have today released the 2020 Bentley Continental GT3 for rFactor 2 - and it's free to owners of the original 2017 GT3 car.
  • Bentley Continental GT3 2020 release.
  • Extensive BOP update for GT3 cars within the sim.

New cars are always very much a welcome sight within our racing simulation of choice, and today another new addition has been brought to rFactor 2 - with the release of the 2020 specification Bentley Continental GT3 for the title.

In additional bonus news, the new car is free if you already own the original 2017 version of the Bentley, and if you don't, you will be able to purchase both cars at the single piece price of the original spec machine. Nice.

rFactor 2 | Bentley GT3 Store Page: Click HERE.

As well as new content, the GT3 cars within rFactor 2 have also been in receipt of the update treatment - enjoying an extensive Balance of Performance across all the current cars within the title - including physics updates and new dashboards on some cars.

rF2 Bentley 1.jpg

Check out the update notes below:

Endurance and GT racing has been brought up on the ethos of converging differing Grand Touring Car designs and shapes into an even playing field of competition. Nowhere else in the world of motorsport can you find such an eclectic mix of different cars, brands and design concepts coming together and competing on the same track, with similar chances of challenging at the very front of the grid.

As GT3 specification competition has continued to grow in popularity around the world, much of the success of the category has to be laid firmly at the door of the less than glamorous world of Balance of Performance, or BOP as it is more commonly known.

Always the subject of many off track debates amongst teams and drivers, BOP is a method employed by many championships to ensure cars of differing shapes and sizes can race together fairly within a common set of regulations, preventing the potential for runaway championship leaders and ensuring a fair shot of success is open to all brands within a series.

As in the real world, our virtual counterparts in rFactor 2 are also subject to these BOP restrictions, as unlike the real world counterpart, should a car prove to be consistently superior to its class rivals, it is rather easier for the sim racer looking to gain an advantage and select the fastest car than it is for a real world team to find hundreds of thousands of dollars to swap machines for the season ahead.

As such, here at Studio 397 we have been working incredibly hard to bring a realistic and fair Balance of Performance to the enviable list of GT3 cars currently in the simulation. Our development team and testers have pounded round the circuit for endless hours tweaking and refining the cars to ensure they retain their individual characters, their inherent strengths and weaknesses and their real world performance levels, whilst still providing an even set of ultimate speed in comparison to each other – just like in the real world!

rF2 Bentley 3.jpg

Aston Martin Vantage GT3 1.71
BOP
  • Fuel consumption tweaked to match reference for BoP
Physics
  • Reworked aerodynamics (more sensitive to changes in ride heights),
  • Fix for radiator cooling options not showing properly in the pitmenu,
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • New default setup
  • Added 10% steps for radiator cooling.
In-car dash
  • Added Engine Mixture levels
  • Added ABS levels
  • Added new alarms for low fuel and oil temperature

Audi R8 LMS 2018 v1.75
BOP
  • Reduced drag by about 2%,
  • Added 5kg of weight penalty,
  • Reduced engine torque/power output by about 1%.
Physics
  • Fix for radiator cooling options not showing properly in the pitmenu
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • Added 10% steps for radiator cooling
  • New default setup
Audi R8 LMS 2019 v1.45
BOP
  • Reduced drag by about 4%,
  • Added 10kg of weight penalty
  • Reduced engine torque/power output by about 1%
Physics
  • Reworked aerodynamics (more sensitive to changes in ride heights)
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • New default setup
Bentley Continental GT3 v2.73
BOP
Physics
  • Reduced engine inertia,
  • Adjusted steering rack ratio (it’s slightly tigher now),
  • New default setup
In-car dash
  • Added ABS levels
  • Added TC levels
BMW M6 GT3 v1.67
BOP
  • Fuel consumption tweaked to match reference for BoP.
Physics
  • Camber is adjustable in smaller steps (0.1deg, was 0.25deg before)
  • Adjustments to differential locking and preload
  • New default setup
Callaway C7 GT3-R v2.81
BOP
  • Increased engine torque/power output by about 2%.
Physics
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • Higher engine braking, adjusted launch rpm, adjusted engine lifetime rpm (results in higher engine lifetime)
  • Moved aero balance forward by about 4% percent points
  • New default setup
McLaren 720S GT3 v1.61
BOP
  • Added 10kg of weight penalty,
Physics
  • Fix for some spring options beeing too stiff,
  • New default setup
McLaren 650S GT3 v2.71
BOP
  • Added 5kg of weight penalty,
Physics
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • Realigned suspension geometry (to better match the data, which also results in slightly slower steering ratio)
  • Adjusted vertical and lateral CG location
  • Higher roll damping for anti-roll bars
  • Slightly higher clutch inertia
  • Fix for some spring options beeing too stiff
  • New default setup,
  • New default setup
Porsche 911 GT3-R
BOP
Physics
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • Increased balance shift coming from changes to the rear wing angle (which now has 18 positions vs 20)
  • Fix to rear suspension’s inner joints beeing too low for a given ride height
  • Higher differential preload (by about 19%)
  • New default setup
In-car dash
  • Added ABS levels
Radical GT3 v2.67
BOP
Physics
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • Realigned suspension geometry and fix to motion ratios, resulting in different min/max damper lengths and stiffer spring/damper rates
  • New default setup
In-car dash
  • Added ABS levels
Mercedes AMG GT3 v2.75
BOP
Physics
  • New default setup
In-car dash
  • Added ABS levels

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

The rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to go for the latest news and discussion about the title. Head over to the rFactor 2 sub forum, start up a thread and let the community answer your questions!

rF2 Bentley 4.jpg

Last edited:
Q

How you get such good quality lighting? Is there a photo mode in this game?
It all depends on the time of day, side lighting early morning or evening when the sun is low as this creates some modelling light and not so harsh like mid day...and zoom in as much as possible, screen shot the car in 'Open Shade' to get good reflections, or try to move the camera around to the shadow side of the car as the sun hitting the side of the car directly usually over expososes the car paint and washes the colour out...it takes quite a lot of time to find the right lighting in a replay, but starting with the right time of day is possibly the key factor.
My in game settings are 'Ultra' or 'High'

Last edited:
I fire up RF2 after a couple of months, I install all the updates.. great

I try the Bentley offline with AI.
First 2 minutes.. wow.. FFB amazing.. very cool
from the 3rd minute.. jesus .. the AI is so boring ..
After 5 minutes I quit the offline race..

I jump in the multiplayer with option

NO AI, Open sessions , same version .

great.. I jump in the Potato server.. there are 4 players...

I say . ok .. let;s do this.. I start last , I win the race..I go to send a message to the other players as I wasn't sure if they were really players .. the session jumps into the next race..

the game freezes.. I can see one of the other players starts the session whilst the others ( me included ) are stuck in the pit.. I am not even able to go to the desktop or use task manager.. all frozen.
I have to restart the PC to be able to use the machine.

what a piece of c#*!!p this game!

Last edited:
I fire up RF2 after a couple of months, I install all the updates.. great

I try the Bentley offline with AI.
First 2 minutes.. wow.. FFB amazing.. very cool
from the 3rd minute.. jesus .. the AI is so boring ..
After 5 minutes I quit the offline race..

I jump in the multiplayer with option

NO AI, Open sessions , same version .

great.. I jump in the Potato server.. there are 4 players...

I say . ok .. let;s do this.. I start last , I win the race..I go to send a message to the other players as I wasn't sure if they were really players .. the session jumps into the next race..

the game freezes.. I can see one of the other players starts the session whilst the others ( me included ) are stuck in the pit.. I am not even able to go to the desktop or use task manager.. all frozen.
I have to restart the PC to be able to use the machine.

what a piece of c#*!!p this game!

POTATO server is mine and Pete's, its at his house and i can't contact him right now to see if he's taken it down for mantainance, plus i need a new teamviewer code from him otherwise id take a look remotely, will try to get it sorted if there's a problem.

Sadly I can confirm there is a big problem with the A.I. drivers for the Bentley. Just teste3d at Silverstone with 40 cars (GT3's). I was about 30th just off the pace of the next car. The last 10 cars were all Bentleys, none infront what so ever and running over 1.30 secs slower than everything else. Not only that i jumped into the cockpit of one of the A.I. driven Bentleys to find that they are doing the same thing the Merc AMG does, full locking it when totally unessarcary. Obviously this is a pretty serious problem which requires immediate attention. Hopefully Paul is reading these comments and will flag it up with the team. I was very much looking forward to a Bentley GT3 race with my Pete and a full field of A.I. today aswell, we had it planned as ive got a day off.

Anyway apart from that and as far as the car goes to drive, as i siad in a post earlier... I fecking love it!

Please fix the a.i. though!

POTATO server is mine and Pete's, its at his house and i can't contact him right now to see if he's taken it down for mantainance, plus i need a new teamviewer code from him otherwise id take a look remotely, will try to get it sorted if there's a problem.

Sadly I can confirm there is a big problem with the A.I. drivers for the Bentley. Just teste3d at Silverstone with 40 cars (GT3's). I was about 30th just off the pace of the next car. The last 10 cars were all Bentleys, none infront what so ever and running over 1.30 secs slower than everything else. Not only that i jumped into the cockpit of one of the A.I. driven Bentleys to find that they are doing the same thing the Merc AMG does, full locking it when totally unessarcary. Obviously this is a pretty serious problem which requires immediate attention. Hopefully Paul is reading these comments and will flag it up with the team. I was very much looking forward to a Bentley GT3 race with my Pete and a full field of A.I. today aswell, we had it planned as ive got a day off.

Anyway apart from that and as far as the car goes to drive, as i siad in a post earlier... I fecking love it!

Please fix the a.i. though!
Dude... not blaming you or the server.. I am blaming the game :)

I've got the original 2017 version, Ive updated on Steam but checking the game files the 2020 Bentley isn't showing? Any idea's? Won't get a chance to launch RF2 untill tommorow night, Cheers.

I've got the original 2017 version, Ive updated on Steam but checking the game files the 2020 Bentley isn't showing? Any idea's? Won't get a chance to launch RF2 untill tommorow night, Cheers.
It should download automatically in Steam, and then get updated inside rF2, unless you have the automatic updates disabled. Make sure you are on the latest version by choosing the Public Beta or OPTING OUT OF THE PUBLIC beta. We never see the latest version available when choosing the old UI. You get to the latest version only by opting out of the beta.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 273 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 399 40.0%