rF2 | Free Bentley Continental GT3 Release + Substantial BOP Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have today released the 2020 Bentley Continental GT3 for rFactor 2 - and it's free to owners of the original 2017 GT3 car.
  • Bentley Continental GT3 2020 release.
  • Extensive BOP update for GT3 cars within the sim.

New cars are always very much a welcome sight within our racing simulation of choice, and today another new addition has been brought to rFactor 2 - with the release of the 2020 specification Bentley Continental GT3 for the title.

In additional bonus news, the new car is free if you already own the original 2017 version of the Bentley, and if you don't, you will be able to purchase both cars at the single piece price of the original spec machine. Nice.

rFactor 2 | Bentley GT3 Store Page: Click HERE.

As well as new content, the GT3 cars within rFactor 2 have also been in receipt of the update treatment - enjoying an extensive Balance of Performance across all the current cars within the title - including physics updates and new dashboards on some cars.

rF2 Bentley 1.jpg

Check out the update notes below:

Endurance and GT racing has been brought up on the ethos of converging differing Grand Touring Car designs and shapes into an even playing field of competition. Nowhere else in the world of motorsport can you find such an eclectic mix of different cars, brands and design concepts coming together and competing on the same track, with similar chances of challenging at the very front of the grid.

As GT3 specification competition has continued to grow in popularity around the world, much of the success of the category has to be laid firmly at the door of the less than glamorous world of Balance of Performance, or BOP as it is more commonly known.

Always the subject of many off track debates amongst teams and drivers, BOP is a method employed by many championships to ensure cars of differing shapes and sizes can race together fairly within a common set of regulations, preventing the potential for runaway championship leaders and ensuring a fair shot of success is open to all brands within a series.

As in the real world, our virtual counterparts in rFactor 2 are also subject to these BOP restrictions, as unlike the real world counterpart, should a car prove to be consistently superior to its class rivals, it is rather easier for the sim racer looking to gain an advantage and select the fastest car than it is for a real world team to find hundreds of thousands of dollars to swap machines for the season ahead.

As such, here at Studio 397 we have been working incredibly hard to bring a realistic and fair Balance of Performance to the enviable list of GT3 cars currently in the simulation. Our development team and testers have pounded round the circuit for endless hours tweaking and refining the cars to ensure they retain their individual characters, their inherent strengths and weaknesses and their real world performance levels, whilst still providing an even set of ultimate speed in comparison to each other – just like in the real world!

rF2 Bentley 3.jpg

Aston Martin Vantage GT3 1.71
BOP
  • Fuel consumption tweaked to match reference for BoP
Physics
  • Reworked aerodynamics (more sensitive to changes in ride heights),
  • Fix for radiator cooling options not showing properly in the pitmenu,
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • New default setup
  • Added 10% steps for radiator cooling.
In-car dash
  • Added Engine Mixture levels
  • Added ABS levels
  • Added new alarms for low fuel and oil temperature

Audi R8 LMS 2018 v1.75
BOP
  • Reduced drag by about 2%,
  • Added 5kg of weight penalty,
  • Reduced engine torque/power output by about 1%.
Physics
  • Fix for radiator cooling options not showing properly in the pitmenu
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • Added 10% steps for radiator cooling
  • New default setup
Audi R8 LMS 2019 v1.45
BOP
  • Reduced drag by about 4%,
  • Added 10kg of weight penalty
  • Reduced engine torque/power output by about 1%
Physics
  • Reworked aerodynamics (more sensitive to changes in ride heights)
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • New default setup
Bentley Continental GT3 v2.73
BOP
Physics
  • Reduced engine inertia,
  • Adjusted steering rack ratio (it’s slightly tigher now),
  • New default setup
In-car dash
  • Added ABS levels
  • Added TC levels
BMW M6 GT3 v1.67
BOP
  • Fuel consumption tweaked to match reference for BoP.
Physics
  • Camber is adjustable in smaller steps (0.1deg, was 0.25deg before)
  • Adjustments to differential locking and preload
  • New default setup
Callaway C7 GT3-R v2.81
BOP
  • Increased engine torque/power output by about 2%.
Physics
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • Higher engine braking, adjusted launch rpm, adjusted engine lifetime rpm (results in higher engine lifetime)
  • Moved aero balance forward by about 4% percent points
  • New default setup
McLaren 720S GT3 v1.61
BOP
  • Added 10kg of weight penalty,
Physics
  • Fix for some spring options beeing too stiff,
  • New default setup
McLaren 650S GT3 v2.71
BOP
  • Added 5kg of weight penalty,
Physics
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • Realigned suspension geometry (to better match the data, which also results in slightly slower steering ratio)
  • Adjusted vertical and lateral CG location
  • Higher roll damping for anti-roll bars
  • Slightly higher clutch inertia
  • Fix for some spring options beeing too stiff
  • New default setup,
  • New default setup
Porsche 911 GT3-R
BOP
Physics
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • Increased balance shift coming from changes to the rear wing angle (which now has 18 positions vs 20)
  • Fix to rear suspension’s inner joints beeing too low for a given ride height
  • Higher differential preload (by about 19%)
  • New default setup
In-car dash
  • Added ABS levels
Radical GT3 v2.67
BOP
Physics
  • Reduced engine inertia
  • Realigned suspension geometry and fix to motion ratios, resulting in different min/max damper lengths and stiffer spring/damper rates
  • New default setup
In-car dash
  • Added ABS levels
Mercedes AMG GT3 v2.75
BOP
Physics
  • New default setup
In-car dash
  • Added ABS levels

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

The rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to go for the latest news and discussion about the title. Head over to the rFactor 2 sub forum, start up a thread and let the community answer your questions!

rF2 Bentley 4.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats for the release, it's nice to see them updating the roster, but at this point I am not going to get any GT3s in rF2.

Regarding the AI... I fired up rF2 after watching Le Mans for some multi-class. It was all right until the faster AI in the same class kept braking behind me on the long straight instead of attempting an overtake (only in corners, like AC) and when we started lapping the slower class it all fell apart, with LMP2s unable to clear the GTEs and GTEs divebombing the LMP2s in the slow corners. I might have something set up wrong, I would happily accept any advice. But it was bad and really killed my excitement. Worst of all, it was all official payware content...

I think the next thing sims should try to get right is the AI. We had most sims improving graphics, adding VR, adding better weather/night.

As I said in previous thread, the new 3D guy is next level. When 488 GTE came out, it was noticeably better too, when compared to 2017 models. Bentley's dashboard textures and rollcage weldings are like magnet for my eyes. Carbon fiber textures are not "new" and shiny, rather grim and rough, which goes well with the roar of the engine in background. Well done!

I'm not that excited about the new Bentley, but I'm really glad S397 finally update and fix/refine physics of already released DLC content. I whish they'd look into Merc AMG GT3 FFB issue. There's a huge old thread about it on official forum. Many people report this issue including Motec output to support it (while some claim it's FFB is great). I was one of them and I don't drive this car because of that.

I see many people still complaining about these cars' AI and FFB... I'm very
busy these days, so I think I better wait a bit to try the Bentley and the
other updates. Good update, though it may need some tweaking soon.

AI sucks? It's some of the very best in the business.
The AI will race you door to door, but it has many many known problems. AI won't draft and pass, AI won't follow the correct car during yellow flags causing large gaps, grouping total mayhem, AI will change tires repeatedly if there is weather changes between qual. and the race. AI will follow a car which is slowing down for the pits, the entire lap. Imagine a LMP2 staying behind a GTE all the way around Le Mans if the GTE has signaled a pitstop.
When they do race, they race well, but there are soooo many items like those I listed that have been known by the company for 3+ years that just destroy solo racing for many users.

Other GT3 (and GTE) cars have good FFB, but the Merc FFB is not.

i'll check some reviews when I have time. Back in the day when the GT3 pack
was released, it had some issues and I dumped it since I prefer older cars,
but now with the Ferraris - GT3 coming soon -, and the Bentley updated
graphically, they attrack me more.

It will be interesting to see, and if issues fixed, how they compare to ACC's
cars.

"AI won't draft and pass,"

I've just finished a race in rF2.

ASR Formula Minardi 191B.
The entire 1991/92 F1 grid.
The Nordschleife.

I wasn't smiling, I was getting goosebumps. The wheel trying to rip my arms off, the roaring sound of the engine, Nigel Mansell and Ayrton Senna in my rearview mirror. Slipstreaming and overtaking me. Wheel to wheel action.
Goosebumps while I'm writing this.

Last edited:
"AI won't draft and pass,"

I've just finished a race in rF2.

ASR Formula Minardi 191B.
The entire 1991/92 F1 grid.
The Nordschleife.

I wasn't smiling, I was getting goosebumps. The wheel trying to rip my arms off, the roaring sound of the engine, Nigel Mansell and Ayrton Senna in my rearview mirror. Slipstreaming and overtaking me. Wheel to wheel action.
Goosebumps while I'm writing this.

It's just the flu, bro.

Slipstreaming and overtaking me
The rF2 AI unfortunately has no function to actively draft and is hesistant to overtake and touches the brakes instead on long straights, like Le Mans. That's what's meant.

When you switch the lane, AI will still stay on it's path and you have broken the draft.

They are good at overtaking on short straights with braking zones and corners wheel to wheel in single class, but try an LMP race at Le Mans and you will see, what the people are talking about...add some multiclass and Endurance race time and the experience collapses.

The only other hardcore sim of the "larger" communities, that has *actively* drafting AI, that follows you on the straight, when switching lanes, is RaceRoom, btw..
Also F1 2019 and 2020 actively draft in slipstream, no matter which lane the player chooses for example.

The major difference is, that rF2 AI tends to dab the brakes instead of commiting to overtake on looong straights, where it falls back more and more in the single player experience on very fast tracks.
-------------
Edit:
Oh and again: Nice move to give the Bentley for free, when owning the old one already, to not get too much off-topic. :D

Last edited:
i'll check some reviews when I have time. Back in the day when the GT3 pack
was released, it had some issues and I dumped it since I prefer older cars,
but now with the Ferraris - GT3 coming soon -, and the Bentley updated
graphically, they attrack me more.

It will be interesting to see, and if issues fixed, how they compare to ACC's
cars.
not just updated graphically, it is an entirely new car. A ground up car built to GT3 specs rather than an existing sedan modified to fit in the GT3 specifications. Bentley also updated the car's look and drivetrain. Isn't Bentley one of those British car companies owned by Mercedes?(or some other Continental company)
But you are correct, the cockpit features the latest shaders and looks as good as it drives.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 201 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 382 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 520 38.4%